Union Labor vs. Independents in Crane Wars

June 29, 2009 -

Here at GamePolitics we're always up for an issue-oriented game.

And while we can't recall another offering based on the conflict between union labor and independent workers, Crane Wars, currently featured at Blurst, explores the never-ending conflict between the two groups.

With Toronto suffering through a strike by sanitation workers, The Star found particular relevance in Crane Wars' labor theme. Designer Steve Swink, who possesses a political science degree and a fascination with the labor movement, spoke to the newspaper about his game:

We're soft on the Union for sure but we make coy little jabs at both sides. Your money, for instance, is constantly decreasing to the point of motion blur to remind you that you're running a Union shop, and doing work is EXPENSIVE.

We definitely wanted the controls and gameplay pacing to reflect real cranes, at least so far as they are unwieldy, slow-moving machines that take a lot of skill. It's not an easy job, and the folks doing it certainly deserve much respect...

As a small indie shop that is free of publishers and can set our own hours, I think health care would be the thing that interests us most. The big question mark with labour organization though is how it would affect prices of games for players.

Comments

Re: Union Labor vs. Independents in Crane Wars

Depends on the Union, really.  For jobs where employee safety is a big issue, such as mining, they are almost universally a good thing.  However, because of organization, non-union companies are aware of the fact that they have to take care of their employees.  This is where some other Unions need to learn to back off, such as a lot of General Labor Unions in America.  I worked for a non-Union heating company for three years, made a good wage with great bennies, but was actually told by a Union rep that I was a horrible parent because I didn't want to join a Union.  I chose not to because the Union would have ended up with me getting paid less than at my non-Union job, after dues and benefits (12 bucks an hour out of my check for medical?  Screw that, if I'm only getting paid 20).

Freedom of speech means the freedom to say ANYTHING, so long as it is the truth. This does not exclude anything that might hurt someone's feelings.

--- With the first link, the chain is forged.

Re: Union Labor vs. Independents in Crane Wars

Ah unions.. now there is a topic that is difficult to handle objectivly.   Pretty much any time I see people talking about unions, for or against, they tend to vastly oversimply the issue.  They tie into so many one-off issues.

Re: Union Labor vs. Independents in Crane Wars

Trust me - unions make a LOT more sense to you if you *really* have to work for a living.

ZAR

Re: Union Labor vs. Independents in Crane Wars

I live in Windsor, about 4 hours from Toronto, and I think the Toronto workers strike is the best thing ever. Why? Because we haven't had garbage pickup, park maintenance, or river maintenance for 11 weeks, if Toronto goes on strike, the government will legislate them back to work, and they'll HAVE to legislate Windsor too.

---You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

---You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

Wonderkarpyou're weird01/25/2015 - 11:23pm
WonderkarpMy Ipad likes to capitalize every word when I'm on game politics.01/25/2015 - 6:29pm
ConsterI Was Talking About You Capitalizing The Starting Letter Of Each Word.01/25/2015 - 5:56pm
WonderkarpI didnt know we were talking about Capitalism. What do mass shootings have to do with trade and industry that is controlled by private owners for profit?01/25/2015 - 3:28pm
ConsterYou do realize that what you're doing right now isn't what capitalism means, right?01/25/2015 - 2:39pm
WonderkarpActual Thing, Never Proven :P We All Know That You Dont Need Evidence For Something To Be Real, Huh.01/25/2015 - 9:40am
WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm
InfophileAnd a more detailed breakdown of expenses here: http://imgur.com/L46SUMw01/24/2015 - 12:42pm
InfophileFor anyone still complaining about where the funding for Tropes vs. Women went: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4z6qa561roidh5/femfreq_annualreport2014.pdf?dl=0 (page 16) Not that this will actually stop claims of fraud, but it's good to have a counter.01/24/2015 - 12:38pm