Jack Thompson Says He Won’t Appear for July 4th Debate at SGC 09

It appears that a much-anticipated Independence Day debate between Jack Thompson and gamer/lawyer Mark Methenitis is off. (GP: however, see updates below)

Back in April Mark Methenitis announced that he would debate Thompson on July 4th at the ScrewAttack Gaming Convention in Dallas. In fact, Methenitis posted a reminder about the debate just yesterday on his excellent Law of the Game blog.

But an angry e-mail received a short time ago from Thompson indicates that he will not appear. The disbarred attorney was apparently upset by an event organizer’s request for a two-line bio as well as a parody video (screen shot at left) posted on the Screw Attack website by a user. Here’s a just-received e-mail from Thompson to Methenitis:

Mark, the goofs at ScrewAttack have managed to sabotage my debate with you this Saturday… Don’t blame me.  I wanted to do  the debate. I would have used the $2000 to help me in bringing down The Florida Bar…

Here’s a second e-mail from Thompson to a number of individuals at ScrewAttack:

Yesterday, I get an email… that I either I submit a "1 or 2 sentence" introduction of myself, or I won’t be introduced.  I have spoken and debated on more than 200 college campuses, and I have never been introduced with 1 or 2 sentences.  Nobody can be introduced in that fashion…
Finally, I went to your site this morning and I have viewed [a since removed] idiotic clip…  It is a gross misrepresentation… you know full well that the reason I wanted to do this event… [is] to debate the issues of violence in video games…
Finally, how many references to me as a "butt" did you think you had to put into your adolescent video?  You even take a swipe at Christians in the video…
All you have managed to do, as related above, is make the event an impossibility.  I expected the event to feature some hostiility [sic]. What I did not expect was that the people putting it on would ratchet it up and in doing so create a security problem…

GamePolitics has a request in to Screw Attack for more information and to see whether, from their perspective, the debate and a planned open forum with Thompson are salvageable. Methenitis is hoping that the event will go forward but referred us to Screw Attack for specifics.

GP: If the SGC 09 debate is canceled, it will not the first time that a proposed debate involving Thompson and the video game crowd has ended in bitterness. See our coverage of similar events proposed for PAX 07 and GDC 08. Thompson did, however, complete a debate with game designer Lorne Lanning at VGXPO 07 in Philadelphia.

That said, it’s rather difficult to believe that the debate would be lost over the length of an introduction. As for the Screw Attack user-created video, let’s just call it ill-advised and unfunny.

UPDATE: Thompson has confirmed to GamePolitics that he is under contract to appear. An e-mail from Thompson to Methenitis, cc’d to GP, indicates that the debate may yet be salvageable.

UPDATE 2: Thompson has forwarded a copy of a conciliatory e-mail from Screw Attack which describes the video in question as user-created content; it has apparently been removed. Thompson, however, continues to make demands of the event organizers:

This thing will start to get back on track if the person in charge… makes a very prominent and public statement at ScrewAttack.com and to the media (yes, that even includes GamePolitics, which is run as if it were Strauss Zelnick’s house organ) [GP: LOL] stating that ScrewAttack disavows that video, that ScrewAttack KNOWS that the reason Jack Thompson is taking a day out of his life and away from his family is that he cares about the ISSUES in this debate, and that anybody, ANYBODY, who says or does anything out of line at this event will be escorted from the event immediately…

UPDATE 3: Stop the presses! The debate is not canceled, at least not yet. Thompson and the Screw Attack crew have scheduled a conference call for tomorrow to – hopefully – sort out their issues.

Aurontsubaki says:

<Howard Finkel voice> From the outskirts of Peewee Kentucky, Douchebag attorney, a failure to communicate cause ***, bullshitter & waiting to have a ***, I give you Jack "The Douchebag" Thompson

What we got here is failure to communicate!

AE: Went a little far there.

Zero Beat says:

They asked if his religion approved of him being a butt.  You’re not  missing much with the video, it’s ten questions of people calling him a butt.

"That’s not ironic. That’s justice."

Kincyr says:

essentially, one of the questions not to ask him is if "his religion" allows its followers to act as uncivil toward others as Jack is.

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

Wormdundee says:

That might have been funny if you didn’t say DESU about 50,000 times more than is acceptable. (Because saying random japanese phrases makes you cool)

hellfire7885 says:

Yeah, one thing about Thompson is he treats almost, well, actually he treats everyone else like absolute dirt, but expects people to treat him like a god in return.

Cerabret100 says:

Well he’s contractually obligated to participate, and since he reasons are never really valid enough to get out of a legally binding document, i’d find it funny if he didn’t go because then they could probably sue him or perform some other legal action for breach of contract.

Adamas Draconis says:

May I introduce the other party in this debate. Disbarred attorney, failed moral crusader, liar and general all around asshole, JACKASS THOMPSON!

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

Ashkihyena says:

Wow, the event is back on, I must admit, I’m a bit surprised, though I won’t be surprised if yet again, the man wusses out a second time.  Ah Jack Thompson, you amuse me so.

Adamas Draconis says:

Personally, as much as I hate it. I can see why Jack-ass  was perturbed.

That said, when he started his "moral crusade" he knew he’d be a target of insults, vitrol, the occasional immature person (besides himself) and even (horror of horrors!) intelligent debate!

So no, I don’t feel sorry for him, if I’m not mistaken he has a legal and binding contract to appear at this debate, so it’s basicly either he does show up, or he doesn’t. If he doesn’t (someone correct me if I’m wrong in this) he can be sued for breach of contract. Which would entail legal fees paid at the very least, if not returning any advances on payment for appearing at the debate.

For all his bitching, whining and basicly acting like my 3 yr old niece, he’s stuck.

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

saregos says:

I think I’m going to have to steal the term "twatwaffle" from you.  Hope you don’t mind.

— Sometimes the truth is arrived at by adding all the little lies together and deducting them from the totality of what is known

Rodrigo Ybáñez García says:

I watched the video and was 2/5. And Jack is just using it as an excuse to not to go to de debate. How he can take the video as official propaganda for SGC? It´s an usal internet video, for Cristh-sake. What a drooling retard.

He should be arrested over by that building bombed picture he used against Florida Bar in one of his ramblings.

The cynical side of videogames (spanish only): http://thelostlevel.blogspot.com/ My DeviantArt Page (aka DeviantCensorship): http://www.darkknightstrikes.deviantart.com/

GoodRobotUs says:

I love it that a man who got disbarred for acting ‘out of line’, who tried to turn his own hearings into some kind of circus, should be worried about people being ‘out of line’ at his own debate.

Besides, who decides what is ‘out of line’? For Thompson the statement ‘I disagree with your opinion’ seems to be material enough for declaration of Fatwah, I certainly wouldn’t trust him, of all the people in the world, to decide what is acceptable public behaviour and what isn’t.

sqlrob says:

<voice=”wrestling announcer”>
    With absolutely no victories under his belt, it’s the one, the only, Moron from Miami, JACK THOMPSON!

Austin_Lewis says:

"…I have never been introduced with 1 or 2 sentences.  Nobody can be introduced in that fashion…"

Here he is, the liar, the manipulator of fact, and the ragin lawyer from Miami iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit’s John Bruce ‘Jack’ THOMPSON!

My god.  I just did it.

1AgainstTheWorld says:

"…I would have used the $2000 to help me in bringing down The Florida Bar…"

"…I have better things to do than take an entire day away from my family…"

"…anybody, ANYBODY, who says or does anything out of line at this event will be escorted from the event immediately…"

Ahh, Johnnie Bruce.  Thank you for reminding me why I love you so much.  And I do.  It is a very special kind of love that can only exist between an avid gamer and a hate-spewing anti-gaming twatwaffle.  Do not mock this love, for it is real.

GoodRobotUs says:

He’s absolutely desperate not to have to put his money where his mouth is, isn’t he?

People were all saying he’d been too spineless to go through with it from the start. Looks like they were right.

Dan says:

You may be excused for being offended by a user-created vid. But demanding that the host site publicy disavow it is just stupid. This isn’t international diplomacy, Jack.

Also, whining about the lengh of the intro is just childish. You’re famous enough that nobody present really needs to be told who you are. And if your opponent’s intro is the same length, you have nothing to complain about.

Finally, citing a "security problem" as a reason for backing out isn’t going to cut it. We’re all eager to hear you speak and we will gladly castigate anyone who heckles you.

Cerabret100 says:

Maybe it was in bad taste (didn’t see it) but it’s the internet.

If it can be filmed, it’s on the internet.  I’m sure by the usual standards of the web, it was probably kind of tame in comparison.

Neeneko says:

This strikes me as posturing and nothing else.  He is demonstrating to the event that he is important and offended and if they do not acknowledge that he has power over how things turn out then he will exerisize it.  It makes him feel strong and important and puts the other side on the defensive.

Rodrigo Ybáñez García says:

I can imagine the debate like this:

Jack: You are evil! You are evil!

Mod: Mr. Thompson, I just asked you if there are any real evidence about violent games destroying people souls. That sounds very unscientific…

Jack: Shut up, you idiot. Gamers are evilz, and Jesus is on my side…

Methenitis: That´s not Jesus, is a guy cosplaying Kratos.

"Kratos": I´m greek, srsly…

Jack: Everyone is against me. Screw Attack put me a trap by orders of Strauss Zelnick, that child molester. Even the Congress is conspiring against me. And I don´t need any real evidence because I belive in God and you are god-less moronic child molesters DESU–

Mod: Mr. Thompson, calm down, you can suffer a heart attack.

Jack: Noooo!!! I´m being screwed by Screw Attack and You Tube. Damn you, Dennis! This is all your fault and Obama DESU–

Methenitis: Wow, he is complete out of his…

Jack colapses on the floor… BONK!

Mod: Oh, God, is he…?

Fat Lady: Someone call an ambulance.

House M.D. intro starts…

Back to reality, DESU—

Honestly, I think this debate event will be just a waste of time for anybody. I can´t think one single time that Jack has ever debate about anything, specially videogames.

For Jack a debate is being at some conservative TV Show and just circle-jerking with a bunch of conservatives and all being agree about everything outside their brains are evil.

The worst thing is that if some one on the audience just try to call Jack names, Jack will drop out from the debate claiming he was bullied by gamers and start bitching about that everytime he can.

If somebody is going to that event, please, record it on video and post it on Youtube so we can laught at it.

And if someone is gonna to throw vegetables against Thompson during the debate, please DON´T. (be polite and wait until the parking zone, DESU–)

JDKJ says:

But certainly you would have assumed the very good possibility that by entering hostile territory, you would be subjecting yourself to some hostility. And if, as you should have, you saw the hosility coming before you even entered the hostile territory, then that should have been a factor in your decision to enter the hostile territory or not. And, once you did decide to enter the hostile territory regardless of the risk of hosility, you’ll look pretty stupid saying, once the hostility actually emerges, "Oh, my God!! They’re being hostile towards me!! Let me high-tail it out of this hostile territory!!"

Zerodash says:

I didn’t see the video either, but Jack has a history of interpreting anyone not sucking his ego’s dick to be an anti-Christian member of the gay mafia.

He still claims he was disbarred for being a Christian.

KayleL says:

So many people are saying that this is typical Jack Thompson, but I understand how he is feeling. If I am going to a debate to defend video games at the Eagle Forum, and see that they are posting videos making fun of me days before the debate. I don’t care if it was user uploaded, I don’t want to talk to those kind of people.

JDKJ says:

If anyone hasn’t learnt by now that standing too close to Jack Thompson will inevitably result in their being covered head-to-toe in Thompsonshit, then they’re about as dumb as he is. Serves them right for (a) being dumb and (b) standing too close to him.

JDKJ says:

Because recently he’s been spending all his time dashing from one important court appearance on behalf of a client to another important court appearance on behalf of another client?

Zerodash says:

At this point, Jack is so irrelevant that he is scraping for a mere $2000 to appear at a convention for videogame fans- no offense, but that is hardly a venue that is fitting for a mature, thoughtful debate…more like a circus show or similar "entertainment".

I also have a big "fuck you" for ScrewAttack for even giving this pile of trash (yes, he is trash) the chance to make any money milking the deaths of young people.  Anyone attending this event should be asking themselves if they really want their money going into the pocket of such a horrible person who lies constantly, gloats over people’s deaths (the MGS guy and that Florida bar head who died trying to save his family), and all his other sins.

Shame on anyone who was going to this event in the first place.  ScrewAttack and the attendents of this event (who bought their tix after learning Jack would be there) are little more than enablers.

Randomavatar says:

Okay folks, since jack thompson is so upset that he cannot be introduced with a mere two sentences, lets let the happy visitors at gamepolitics offer some suggestions.

Introduce Jack Thompson in 2 sentences or less: GO!

Erik says:

Does John Bruce really want them to follow the "escort people out if they say anything out of line?"  I mean how would be be able to finish the debate if he is dragged out of the building kicking and screaming by two rent-a-cops in the first five minutes of the debate?

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

JDKJ says:

I agree with you 100%, Manta. It ScrewAttack didn’t see a reason to pull the video when it first went up, then they shouldn’t see a reason to pull it now that Jack Thompson gets to acting his usual whingy self. To do so rewards Thompson for whinginess at the expense of the ScrewAttack community. If I was ScrewAttack and was forced to choose between my readership and Jack Thompson, I damn sure ain’t picking Thompson.

saregos says:

$100 says, if they do agree to his new terms, that he’ll accuse Methenitis or the moderator of being "out of line", and demand that they be escorted out.

Defenestrator says:

I hate to do this, but I’m going to agree with Jack on this.  Screw Attack screwed up their own show.

But I will also say Jack is being an overly-pretentious drama whore regarding this whole incident, too, so he’s not entirely without fault.

black manta says:

Oh for the love of…

Guys at Screwattack, if you’re reading this, you can do what you want, but if I were you, I wouldn’t kowtow to this idiot’s childish demands and reward him for his insufferable behavior.  I personally wouldn’t try salavging this, as this "man’s" behavior clearly shows he is intent on ruining everybody’s fun.  Besides, he’s over, done, finished.  He has nothing more relevant to say or add to the issue and at this point is nothing more than curiosity value, same as a freakshow.  His crusade’s over, and it’s best to just let him fade into irrelevance and ignominity.

SimonBob says:

"yes, that even includes GamePolitics, which is run as if it were Strauss Zelnick’s house organ…"

…Play ’em off, Keyboard Strauss! 😀

I was going to comment on the inherent amusement of JT asking you to help him in his previous email, but to have both sides of his Jekyll-and-Hyde personality represented in a single article has left me too astounded to laugh any more.  I don’t know whether to call him a hypocrite or what.

The Mammon Philosophy

Snipzor says:

First off, I’m no fan of Screwattack, they had lost all their personality and humour when they had lost Tom. The video sucked, and was unfunny as well as mentally insulting like all other stuff on Screwattack.

Second, we all know Jack was going to skip out anyways. There’s no debate that Jack Thompson was going to give any excuse to avoid this event. So let’s not blame this stupid video for doing something that was going to happen anyway.

nightwng2000 says:

"An e-mail from Thompson to Methenitis, cc’d to GamePolitics, indicates that the debate may yet be salvageable:"

I  will appear at the event if the person who actually runs ScrewAttack makes very public amends, assures us both re security, and tells his/her minions to start acting like adults. I need your help on this… Maybe a conference call with the two of us and whoever is in charge is in order.

I guess spending the holiday with his family isn’t as important to him as he ranted earlier considering now he wants to salvage the debate.  :/

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as http://groups.myspace.com/pfenl

saregos says:

Has Thompson *ever* participated in a debate on this subject?

Or perhaps more telling, has he ever participated in an *intelligent* debate on this subject?

Andrew Eisen says:

It’s up in my original post but I thought I’d reiterate it here:

Screw Attack did not cave to Thompson and pull the video.  It was voluntarily removed by the user who created it.

Andrew Eisen

Doom90885 says:

Once again Jackie proves that he can throw a punch but can’t take one. I would love to have a debate about the evils of Christianianity and see just how how maturely he acts having his beliefs and religion constantly attacked without any solid evidence. My god he would go postal! The baby needs to grow up especially after the VERY long list of flat out demeaning and and downright hateful words that came out of his mouth over the years he has no right to complain about that video being offensive to him. He’s a simple bully that once you put him in the corner he breaks down and cries like the bitch he is.

Demanding the government to do yor job AS A PARENT to decide what’s appropriate and what’s not: THAT’S GOVERNMENT OVERSIGHT!!! THE SAME GOVERNMENT OVERSIGHT MOST PEOPLE CLAIM TO BE AGAINST!

Tammej says:

Even here on this site, some people blame ScrewAttack. Why?? They did not make that video.

And have you actually seen both the video they actually made, *and* the video that caused this hardly newsworthy debate in the first place?

A bunch of kids poking childish fun at him. It was mildly funny, if you can get yourself into the right mood, Jim Carrey-style I guess.

The actual ScrewAttack video is just a short Mega-Man styled introduction to who’s going to be on the show, and this man is introduced in a pretty cool way.

The ONLY thing this article was good for is to let people know this debate would’ve even happened. I didn’t know until now.

FlakAttack says:

You know, I took a minute after reading this to realize you’re right. Anything Jack Thompson touches gets taken down in court. Wherever he goes, he is labeled for the idiot he is.

Guys, his life is essentially over. He will never do anything useful again, and we have nothing to be afraid of. We should go after other more famous idiots, like Glenn Beck. The hypocrisy spewing out of that man’s mouth is disgusting and he needs to be owned in a proper debate. People have tried to talk to him on his radio show and he just goes "HAHAHAHA YOU’RE OBSESSING OVER GAMES" even though that’s exactly what he’s doing, attacking gaming and gamers on a regular basis.

Zerodash says:

ScrewAttack deserves a truckload of shit because they are giving this piece of filth money and attention.  They are enablers who are giving a voice to a "man" (I use the term loosely) who is a proven liar who takes joy in the deaths of others and has a long history of exploiting tragedies to promote his special brand of religious extremism.  There are plenty of other anti-game personalities they could invite who are civil and might actually bring valid points to the table other than hatespeech, hyperbole, and Bible quotes.

Shame on ScrewAttack for inviting him and shame on attendees of this event for letting their money go to the waste of atoms known as Jack Thompson.

Zerodash says:

When you get right down to it, most people want the government to run their lives in some way.  On the right you have idiots who want the government to legislate morality.  On the left you have idiots who want the government to wipe their lazy asses for them.  Both groups of idiots cry "freedom" and "liberty" totally unaware of their latent hypocracy.

Jackie is, like so many Christians, in such denial of the inherent evils of their religion that confronting them with this is useless.  Jack has proven that he gets off on being critisized (sp?) because he often equates himself to a martyr or even Christ himself.  Somehow I think Jesus wouldn’t be amused…

ikillchicken says:

Who cares? Is he doing us some kind of favor by debating? If he wants to be a baby and drop out just because someone posted something bad about him on the bloody internet then let him. As far as I’m concerned, the less Jack Thompson talks in any format the better. The man is a joke. There is zero benefit in either listening to him or debating him.

BearDogg-X says:

I could care less about a "tasteless" video that made fun of him. He’s made an ass out of himself numerous times and the hypocrite has made tasteless comments himself(see MGS.org user suicide, the Florida lawyer drowning on vacation while saving his wife from a similar fate, comments about Sony Japan, Rockstar, Louisiana officials).

He’s looking for any excuse to chicken out of the debate because he knows that he’ll get owned by Mark Methenitis on Saturday. Then again, Penn & Teller will be owning him next week on Showtime.

Man up, Jacky Boy. Practice what you preach about growing up and getting a life.

Geaux Saints, Geaux Tigers, Geaux Hornets, Jack Thompson can geaux chase a chupacabra.

Saints(0-3), LSU(3-0)

vellocet says:

Please please please… have a copy of that AMA report that Jack keeps misusing and dismantle his argument point by point.  I’m tired of him completely misquoting and twisting it to his own ends.

Ryno says:

What do you mean liberal? He included the Bush boys in his conspiracy, possibly even Cheney. I don’t know if he’s mentioned the Pope yet, though.

Saying that Jack Thompson is impotent is an insult to impotent men everywhere. They’ve got a whole assortment of drugs that can cure their condition; Jack, however…

hellfire7885 says:

Again, Thompson shows he has abolutely no sense of humor, the only laughter he gets is at others expense, such as the MGS/org user or the lawyer who lost his life trying ot save his family, of course Thompson can’t understand either. He is in no danger of losing his home, and he only cares for himself.

He’ll either find another problem, hire armed bodyguards, or just not show up. And I love it, if you don’t agree with him a billion percent, you are a part of the liberal-gay-gamer conspiracy headed by someone who had likely never been to the hill.

I won’t be surprised if Thompson has the debate hall emptied in five minutes. Guess the two sentence intro was a novel too few for his ego.

Vake Xeacons says:

I’m having second thoughts on whether JT actually should! I know how that sounds, but as big as a fiasco this is already turning out to be (before the actual fight starts), is this really going to make either side look good? Is this one even salvagable?

Mattsworkname says:

While I think the video is childish and in poor poor taste.

OK, VERY  poor taste.

I don’t think JT has any right to back out of his contractually agreed to debate. If he does, it just proves once more that not only does he not have the stones to actually stand by his beliefs, but he’s thin skinned, self serving, and cowardly. It woudl also prove that his crusade has never, EVER been about protecting children, but about gettting more noteriaty for himself, nothing more.

It was a bad idea to make such a tasteless video, but if jack thompson uses it as an excuse to slime his way out of the debate, he’s no better. In fact, he’s many many many times worse.

Yukimura is still here. "When he’s at his best, he’s little less then a man, and when he’s at his worst, he’s little more then a beast." W.S

mogbert says:

I can see qwhere this is going.

Pretty much, if he goes at all, he will wait for the first person to say something from the audience, and he will demand their removal, hoping they will refuse. But at some point, he will either claim ultimate victory or he will claim the whole thing was a sham (wow) and head off in a huff.

PHX Corp says:

What could possibily Go wrong(Sarcasm)

Watching JT on GP is just like watching an episode of Jerry springer only as funny as the fights

eston says:

To be perfectly honest, I’m not even sure why Jack Thompson is still relevant to the video game world. Just let the man fade away peacefully, stop paying him money to talk about things he no longer has any influence over.

nightwng2000 says:

Ya know what’s funny?  This tactic of agreeing to a debate, dropping out ‘cuz he claims someone did him wrong and he’d rather be with family, and then try to slip back in ain’t all that original.

Ross Perot anyone?

And look how far HE got.  And Perot was of more value to the Human species than John Bruce.

NW2K Software

gamegod25 says:

Honestly I don’t understand why you’d want Jack for a debate, aside from as a humorous spectacle. It’s not like anything we’d say would convince him he’s an idiot, nor would he be able to make us see what "reprobates" we are.

Anyone with a shred of decency and self respect would have avoided the spotlight after the public humiliation of being disbarred for life. But Jack just contiues to show his real colors as a shameless attention whore.

Conster says:

Actually, the video list 10 stupid questions you shouldn’t ask, so JT can’t blame video games for them (the screencap is of a guy saying he’d like JT to join their Rock Band band, and asking if he "can play the butt?"), and at the end it makes a serious request for people to behave properly and ask intelligent questions. If he’s quitting because of this, he is a butt, because it’s simply an attempt to get people to behave, with some immature humor thrown in to get people’s attention. And I really don’t see how this causes a security problem.

masterdingo says:

Why is a bona fide lawyer interested in debating anything with a disbarred lawyer? Aside from giving Jack change on the street, there’s no reason for Mark to speak with him. Jack is officially a lesser human being, according to the courts.

– When you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you.

DarkSaber says:

So JT is saying "We are back on track to having the event as planned…."

The SAME event he said he’d "" have better things to do than take an entire day away  from my family–a holiday, no less–to argue to a bunch of gamers that they are idiots. "

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

JDKJ says:

Either that or he’ll claim that Mark Methenitis cannot properly debate him because Mark hasn’t properly executed a valid loyalty oath. Or that the presence of gold-fringed U.S. flags inside the convention hall automatically turns any debate into a military tribunal.

Was it 1v.World who posted confessions of love for Jack Thompson above? I can certainly relate. How can you not love the man? You just gotta love him.

Beacon80 says:

Like JT has ever stopped to realize that user-created content doesn’t reflect the will of the companies involved (Although, admittedly, ScrewAttack was hosting it, which carries an implicit support, until they took it down).

I’m surprised he’s never gone after the companies that produce movie cameras.  After all, they’re used to create porn.

DarkSaber says:

So what you’re saying is that Metroids Screw Attack upgrade is called the Screw Attack so it can be an innuendo. After all, why that name out of all the others it could have had, like ‘Spin Attack’ or ‘Twirly Smash’.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Saxy says:

Yes, I realize the screwattack is from metroid, but I still think it counts as an innuendo. Why else would they choose that upgrade out of all other metroid items, or anything else they could’ve chosen?

JDKJ says:

Given that the video’s been pulled, can someone describe it’s content for me? Or, at least, what about it could be found "childish" and "unfunny?"

Stealthmaster says:

Even though Jack is at least willing to talk about it I still think he is not going. I predict that Jack will threaten to sue them and the phone call will be ready to listen to tomorrow.

1AgainstTheWorld says:

I missed the vid, but judging by the screencap I’ve got to agree.  Whoever posted it HAD to be aware of how Jack flies off the handle at the slightest provocation.  Why give him any kind of moral high ground like this?

Saxy says:

I wouldn’t go so far as to say I’m "with" Jack, but i must say, Screwattack, as much as I love them and their sexual-innuendo name, went too far with the video. Now, it’s not as if Jack is acting much better, but SA was stupid to give him such easy fodder.

EvilTikiMan says:

I have to agree with you. As much as I Dislike Mr. Thompsons actions towards gamers, and in general, Its harder to attack him over him droping out. Screw Attack, as well as all gamer, know how tempermental he is and how easy it is to provoke him into doing something like this.

Now if this had not been done, nor anything like it, and then he had backed out, THAN he would deserve the lashing many are giving him right now.

Responsibility: Its time that the next generation takes up the reigns of power in our government, before the old fools who hold them steer this country of ours closer to capsizing. We must act before its to late to repair the damage.

Fadobo says:

Sorry, but I’m with Jack here. The video is childish, not funny and downright insulting. I’m Screwattack G1 since several years, but after the video, I’m not surprised he isn’t going there…

black manta says:

One other thing, I’m sure now that everyone will have a lot more fun at the convention now that he won’t be there.  I’m not sure if it was just me, but when I was at the VGXpo in ’07 I remember the general feeling of everyone being on-edge.  Hell, when JT and his bodyguards (yes, the man needed bodyguards!) walked past me and my girlfriend, I remember shuddering as if someone walked over my grave (no lie!)  Contrast that to the next VGXpo in ’08 which was JT-free and everyone had was relaxed and had a lot more fun.

So anyone going to the SGC, relax and cut loose.  And Jack, whether or not we’re reprobates, everyone will breathe easier knowing you’re not around!

nightwng2000 says:

He never really intended to go through with it in the first place.  He, himself, admitted as such.

He’d already "agreed" to the debate, so he had, supposedly, intended to choose doing a debate with individuals he defines as "idiots" over spending a holiday with his family.

Now, magically, he wants it believed that, all of a sudden, a holiday with his family is more important?

There’s a LOT of hot air in here and it ain’t Zippy’s breath.

Yet another "voluntary dismissal" at work.  Not surprising.

NW2K Software

Andrew Eisen says:

Oh gee, Jack Thompson backed out of another debate.  There’s a surprise.

In addition to those mentioned by GP*, Thompson also backed out of a debate with:

Tom Buscaglia

Jason Della Rocca

Andrew Eisen

*Interestingly, Thompson didn’t back out of a GDC debate.  There never was one.  Although one may have materialized if Thompson hadn’t lied about who he spoke to, when, and what about.

P.S. – I couldn’t check because the video was gone by the time I went to have a look but I’m assuming it’s user-created and not an officially produced Screw Attack video (seeing as it appears from the screen cap to be a YouTube vid and all).

P.P.S. – Saw the video.  Amazingly childish of Thompson to threaten to pack up his marbles and head home in response.  And yes, it’s not a Screw Attack video, it’s user created content.  Kaylyn Dixon (Marzgurl) and her crew are not Screw Attack staff.  Reminds me of the time he complained to Midway over user created content in MK Armegeddon.

P.P.P.S. – The video was voluntarily pulled by the creator, not Screw Attack.

Austin_Lewis says:

Hahaha.  Love how he weaseled out of this one.

On a related note, I think it’s funny that he thinks he can take on the Florida Bar if he just had 2000 more dollars.  I also have a feeling that his wife finally decided to stop financing his stupidity, in which case good for her.

Seriously, giving money to Jack Thompson is like giving money to a homeless drunk.  Sure, if you come back a while later, they’re more entertaining, but they still won’t get a damn thing done, and in the end you’re out the money.

Oh, I also think its funny that such a ‘succesful’ lawyer thinks 2000 dollars is a lot of money these days. Har har.

black manta says:

Once again, Thompson welches out of a debate against a qualified opponent by acting like a prima donna.  What a surprise.  Betcha didn’t see that one coming.