Louisiana Funds Game Design Project for School Students

June 30, 2009 -

Some Louisiana school children are experiencing the art of video game design first-hand, thanks to a state-funded program.

2theAdvocate reports that middle- and high-school students in the Zachary and Lafayette School Districts are creating educational games that, hopefully, are also fun to play. One of the teams' projects is focused on developing sources of clean energy. Along the way, students have received advice and feedback from game industry professionals.

The program is funded by the Louisiana Department of Economic Development's Digital Workforce Initiative.

Comments

Re: Louisiana Funds Game Design Project for School Students

This is an awesome development. I like that kids are getting more interested in game development. While most of those kids won't actually go into game development, they will learn some great skills in planning and implementation of ideas. Very important life skills to have.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

Re: Louisiana Funds Game Design Project for School Students

mikedo2007

I thought so too.  How ironic, the state that wanted to pass a certain video game bill written up by Jack Thompson.  Now it is funding video game design, I guess revenge is best served cold, or payback is a bitch, ain it Jack Thompson.  See the state is funding video game design, Jack.

Cue Jack saying Lousiana is part of the conspiracy and this is the way to get back at him in 3...2...1

Poll

How do you feel about microtransactions in $60 video games?:

Big PermI actually need to look into a new headset. I have those green razer krakens and I would not suggest them. Though maybe they're better for people without glasses08/28/2015 - 11:32am
Big PermI've never heard if Apple was dominant in Japan.08/28/2015 - 11:25am
E. Zachary KnightBeats by Dre? If music videos are anything to go by, they are the only headphones in existence.08/28/2015 - 11:21am
Big PermI wonder what kind of headphones she has08/28/2015 - 11:13am
Andrew EisenMy favorite fighter character/costume of late is Lucky Chloe from Tekken 7.08/28/2015 - 10:59am
Big PermYou might be right, Zippy08/28/2015 - 9:21am
ZippyDSMleeBig Perm: Naw best ever goes to kill la kill!08/28/2015 - 9:14am
Big PermHer costume is amazing. It may be the best costume ever08/28/2015 - 8:30am
E. Zachary KnightLike I said, she looks like a fun character to play, but her costume is really obnoxious.08/28/2015 - 8:29am
MattsworknameMika was always about being a show off and using her but to crush her foes, even back in the alpha days. They just took that and maxed it to the extreme, and I LOVE IT!!!!!08/28/2015 - 5:36am
IvresseJust saw R Mika trailer myself. I do like the inclusion of Vega as the punching bag, especially with that Stone Cold Stunner knocking his mask off....but that ultra move with his face between 4 buttcheeks...class! :-)08/28/2015 - 5:20am
MattsworknameOk, finally got a chance to look at the R mika trailer for SF 5, and I Heart her so bloody much. She just looks like pure fun to play as and is SO colorful. All the YES!08/28/2015 - 3:23am
PHX Corphttp://www.gamnesia.com/news/sony-is-disabling-users-from-archiving-their-ps4-livestreams-of-until-dawn Sony is Disabling Users from Archiving Their PS4 Livestreams of Until Dawn08/27/2015 - 8:47pm
MattsworknameAndrew: SOrry I didnt get back, i went to bed before I saw your post. The Producer is listed as Arbitor36508/27/2015 - 6:06pm
Andrew EisenNope.08/27/2015 - 4:17pm
ZippyDSMleeDid you guys cover Fatal Frame 5 being nintendo Eshop only?08/27/2015 - 3:55pm
Big Perm120 bucks for a tetanus shot. Thanks Obama08/27/2015 - 3:01pm
Andrew EisenMatthew - Of course they do. I wasn't suggesting otherwise. Hell, Quiet's already been cosplayed quite a bit.08/27/2015 - 1:25pm
Big PermThere's been some pretty good Kill La Kill cosplay08/27/2015 - 12:56pm
Matthew WilsonI saw someone cosplay as the main charector from kill la kill last year at pax, so people do it.....08/27/2015 - 12:55pm