IGDA Names New Executive Director

Following months of seraching, the International Game Developers Association has named a new executive director.

Gamasutra reports that Joshua Caulfield (left) will replace Jason Della Rocca, who departed earlier this year. Caulfield’s background is in trade association management, not gaming, His previous gig was as the Executive VP of the American Machine Tool Distributors Association. He does, however, enjoy games:

I’m an avid gamer. I’m clearly not a game developer, and there’s a big difference there, but I do understand the medium. I play a lot of games; I have a group and we play a lot of MMOs. I’m quite familair with the industry from a gamer’s perspective. So that helps a lot…

I have most of the consoles, and I pull them out when I have a little alone time, but my true love is MMOs on the PC. I’m generally an RPGer. My group just got off a stint on World of Warcraft, where I play a Shadow Priest. I play the backup healer, because if the main healer goes down, your backup healer better be ready.

We’re right now playing Guild Wars, and I’m playing a Monk, so I’m a healer again. I tend to do the support role a lot.

Caulfield expects to maintain a lower public profile than Della Rocca, with the IGDA board taking on the public interface role. Caulfield also talked about his vision for the game developers’ organization:

The IGDA’s mission has remained very much the same: That is, to support the professional game developer — specifically, I believe, to serve individuals to create video games, to enhance the lives of game developers, to connect developers with their peers, and so on…

There are a lot of differences between a union and a professional association. I really can’t say whether this industry needs a union or not, because I don’t know enough about the individuals of this industry yet.

Speeder says:

You are wrong 😉

He was hired to run a association, not a studio… Thing that took some time to realize…

E. Zachary Knight says:

Not a bad move at all. Tehy got someone with a lot of experience running professional associations. That is something they have needed for a while. Sure being a game developer helps, but if you have no experience running such an organization, it will take you even longer to get going.

He has plenty of game developers on the board to help him understand. He knows about games and games regularly, so he is not completely clueless.

I think this is the best move the IGDA could have made. His experience could move the IGDA forward and make it a more well known and trusted organization.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

vellocet says:

I dunno… it’s the International Game DEVELOPERS Association… not the International Game PLAYERS Association.

Seems like a bad move to name a non-developer to the top position.

Hopefully I’m wrong.

Speeder says:

There are a reason:

Jason talked too much and did little. They decided to do the inverse now. Not that Jason sucked or anythign like that, he did a decent job, but not a excellent job.

Also there are a bad reason too: Ensure that the board will continue defendign itself when someone do shit (like Mike Capps or Tim Langdell)

GoodRobotUs says:

That’s certainly unusual, maybe it’s [i]because[/i] of his lack of deep knowledge on the subject. He might be great at making connections, raising funds etc, but not be able to make policy decisions on many things because he hasn’t really got the technical background to do so?

GamesLaw says:

If you’ll read carefully, he didn’t say that. He preemptively addressed the concern that he is not an "insider" by pointing out that he is a gamer, which HELPS. He’s not saying that it is why he is suited for the job. He’s suited for the job due to his leadership expertise.

— Dan "SWATJester" Rosenthal; Executive Director, http://www.gameslaw.net

DarkSaber says:

"I’m suited to this job because I play WoW"

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

GamesLaw says:

He won’t be doing that. The IGDA board chair stated that the E.D. would be concentrating on running IGDA, and the more vocal, visible, external role that Jason used to fill will now be performed by the Chair of the Board.

Interesting, to say the least. I wonder if there were any "behind-the-scenes" reasons for that.

— Dan "SWATJester" Rosenthal; Executive Director, http://www.gameslaw.net

GoodRobotUs says:

Pretty non-commital speech, but then, I get the feelings the new Boss has a lot of ropes to learn, so he can’t really make statements of policy this early in the game.

Good luck to him either way.