Don’t Copy That Floppy Rap Gets a Creepy 2009 Facelift

If you illegally download software or music, your mom will be wrestled to the ground and arrested by a SWAT team – for cooking pasta.

That’s just one of the apparent messages in a modern-day update of 1992’s Don’t Copy That Floppy.

The Software & Information Industry Association, which created the video, explains (sort of) in its YouTube description of the video:

Check out the trailer…anti-piracy hero MC Double Def DP will return in the summer of 2009 to drop some more knowledge on would-be pirates in the sequel to 1992’s "Don’t Copy That Floppy! Brought to you by SIIA (formerly SPA)

Via: ZeroPaid

Yammo says:

There should be some law against making as bad commercials

as this… I felt my spleen ripple and die from the idiocy of this

ad. who can I sue?

Arcanagos says:

0.o Can I have that three minutes of my life back please?

"Go ahead and hate your neighbor, go ahead and cheat a friend. Do it in the name of Heaven, Jack Thompson’ll justify it in the end." – nightwng2000

Tammej says:

I especially love how they never make the distinction between things that exist to be copied. If it’s a floppy 😉 … don’t copy.

It’s also funny how this is often called stealing. Stealing, as in .. taking something, and then you have it, while the original is gone. At least here, they openly admit it’s "just" a copy. Nobdy got ripped off.

Nothing was taken "away".

If I stole this, that should still mean that you don’t have it anymore, because I stole it. Right?

Anyway … this grotesque ad is just outright hilarous, just like the old one.

Hitodama says:

I wonder if they realize that our laws didn’t fall out of the sky on a piece of stone? Well… Some people belive that I guess, but that’s not the point. It’s only a "crime" cause some guy was feeling greedy about his stuff. -_-

Bennett Beeny says:

Yeah, that has to be the lamest video I’ve seen in a while, and I have a 6 year-old daughter, so I regularly see lame crap on TV.

duncan_922 says:

I normally don’t download music or copy games, but this crap makes me want to do it just out of sillyness, lack of effort and insulting my intelligence like that!

Alex says:

Yes there is. It says "Star Trek courtesy of CBS."

I’m not under the affluence of incohol as some thinkle peep I am. I’m not half as thunk as you might drink. I fool so feelish I don’t know who is me, and the drunker I stand here, the longer I get.

Lou says:

Is this trailer/Public service announcement directed to kids? If so they are trying to exploit or manipulate the minds of children. I mean look at the trailer, it shows a woman who is supposed to be the mother of a child being led in handcuffs bt some sort of LEO. They are pretty much telling kids "Do not copy disks or we’ll take your mom and dad to jail". Hell you want more proof? listen to the rapper DP. His tone of voice and the lyrics sound like are almost giving you a lecture. Either they are going with shock value or I am growing a bit paranoid.

On a side note isn’t this infomercial a bit hypocrite? They are using klingons at the end and there is not disclaimer that they are using their likenes with the consent of it’s creators.

ChrowX says:

I think the SIIA is trying to jump on the train a little late… This was a Meme for a while within some circles and it was lampooned a couple times, from what I’ve seen. What they seem to be doing now is hoping for viral internet promotion and meme-ification to support their cause.

The original video was a joke, really. It goes on for quite a while with this rapper guy kind of dancing and rapping really awkwardly. It was only mildly popular before because it was just so damn stupid, even for its time.