Chinese Govt. Ends Electric Shock Therapy for Game Addicts

The Chinese government has ordered a controversial video game addiction clinic to stop subjecting alleged teenage game addicts to electric shock treatments.

China Daily reports that the Ministry of Health issued the directive yesterday to the clinic in Linyi, Shandong province:

More than 3,000 young people were tricked or forced into in to the four-month long course. To enroll their children, parents or guardians had to sign a contract acknowledging that they would be given electric shocks of up to 200 milliamperes. The treatment cost 6,000 yuan ($878) per month…

Shocks were given if patients broke any of the center’s 86 rules, which included prohibitions on eating chocolate, locking the bathroom door, taking pills before a meal, and sitting in Dr. Yang’s chair without permission.

Details of the treatment first became public when former patients wrote about their experiences online…

Kong Lingzhong, who edits a Chinese Internet addiction-themed portal commented on the clinic’s methods:

We have no clue whether this freaky treatment has side-effects.

jedidethfreak says:

Yeah.  If Tiennaman Square (not sure if I spelled that right) taught China anything, it’s that a tank is a very effective riot control measure.

Freedom of speech means the freedom to say ANYTHING, so long as it is the truth. This does not exclude anything that might hurt someone’s feelings.

bracomadar says:

This topic needs a screenshot from InFamous.  Here in America, we don’t use electro shock on our kids, we just get the cops to taze them.

PSN: bracomadar

Ashton says:

I can see where you’re coming from, but there’s nothing that suggests the facility was government sponsored. I mean, if it was, I could understand. But you have to understand that many of these facilities CLAIM to be government sponsored or somesuch but are not – and this one doesn’t even have that claim, I believe.

If the American government shut down a company for bad business practice, the government should rightly be praised for it. To me, this is no different.

Father Time says:

Because it’s news to us that they were using this stuff in the first place. It’s like if a friend walked up to you and said they’ve decided to stop beating their spouse and you had no idea about the domestic abuse in the first place.

Ashton says:

Wait, isn’t it a GOOD thing that the Chinese government is stopping this? So why are so many people still posting negative things about this?

BaronScot says:

who thinks that they only ended this program to free up some room to electrocute some of those rioting uighurs that has been going on for a month?

Zero Beat says:

Maybe it was blocked by the Chinese government’s firewall and he doesn’t know how to get around that.

"That’s not ironic. That’s justice."

nightwng2000 says:

"We have no clue whether this freaky treatment has side-effects."

From the website of The Mayo Clinic:

Why it’s done:

And more.  Just follow their links.

And that’s just from ONE site.  I guess he doesn’t know how to Google "side effects of electroshock therapy".

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as

jedidethfreak says:

No, it’s Communist China.  They’ll become little drones for the State.

Ashton says:

I was under the impression that the first post was talking about similar practices in the U.S., which wouldn’t make good headlines.

Anyway, it’s unknown if this program was government sponsored; lots of bullshit companies in China operate under the guise of being government sponsors while paying the right officials hush money … so I don’t know if it’s the government or just some assholes that are doing this.

Stealthguy says:

There must be a scale or a chart that can be used to determine if a particular issue is news worthy enough. It’d better include pretty pictures and be colorful as well.

DarkSaber says:

So you’re saying China abducting and electro-shocking children for sitting in someones chair ISN’T something they’d consider sensational?

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Ashton says:

Every country has problems, if you dig deep enough, but what the media wants are ratings, so they peddle things that are sensational. U.S. citizen rights being violated? Not a good headline. Michael Jackson? Russia killing babies? Totally great.

Neeneko says:

I’m always amazed at how this stuff gets ignored by the local media…

The first I started hearing about such things it was from friends in other countries telling me about reports on human rights abuses in the US.  Then again, I was usually the one telling them about problems in their own country, so it seems to be a pretty universal media problem…

Monte says:

It was probably because if they had the door locked they could "eat chocolate" or "take pills before dinner", or do any other number of shockable things in there without getting caught

Kris says:

Locking the bathroom door?  Really?  Is that because if you try to kill yourself, they can’t get inside?  I mean, really….  Eating chocolate I could see, also taking pills before dinner, or sitting in the doctor’s chair. But why can’t they lock their bathroom door?

Zerodash says:

Back in the day, they used electroshock therapy to "cure" homosexuality.  That sure as hell didn’t work then…and history repeats itself.

mdo7 says:

We have no Clue whether this freaky treatment has side-effects.

I think this kind of treatment has one nasty side effect: PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder)

I wonder if they’re going to compare this to the allegation of torture in Guantanamo bay Camp.

Cerabret100 says:

…okay, i know china isn’t always the best looking country when it comes to it’s various practices…but someone was actually able to get away with this for any amount of time?

Kharne says:

I’m reminded of those kidnappings I heard about few years ago. Parents would actually hire people to kidnap their kids and send them to this messed up prision/reform school/boot camp thing, where they’re kept untill properly ‘reformed’. Some worringly twisted stuff there, =/

Neeneko says:

Gah.  I wish I could remember the name of the place,.. but there is a ‘school for troubled teens’ just outside philly that still uses electro-shock.  NPR did a piece about it a few months back.  Very under the radar school though so I’m having trouble finding it again.

AbsumZero says:

It isn’t uncommon for electroshock therapy to be used in the U.S. with a patient’s consent for treatment of severe depression that doesn’t respond to medication, among other things.

Considering it was used as punishment in this case, this was pretty much torture.