Rumor: Midway U.K. Studio Visited by CEO Booty, Workers Get the Boot

This one is strictly a rumor at this point, but a reliable U.K. source tells GamePolitics that Midway’s Newcastle studio in the U.K. has been shut down this morning following a surprise visit by CEO Matt Booty.

Workers have reportedly been let go without pay and some are apparently posting about the situation on Facebook. We have an e-mail in to Midway seeking confirmation.

Midway, of course, was recently acquired by Warner Bros. in a deal approved by a U.S. Bankruptcy Court judge.

UPDATE: This one is CONFIRMED. Develop has details…

beemoh says:

>making sure that employees to be released are not informed until the maximum amount of ‘free’ work possible has been got.

Rumour is that studio’s employees get paid on the 15th of the month.

GoodRobotUs says:

Strictly speaking the contract with the old company should still be binding until the moment it is dissolved, if you’ve been working in that time, it was under contract.

In truth, the hard part is getting money from an insolvent company, that’s always the bit which causes problems for ex-employees, but then, I’m equally certain that loophole is exploited frequently during buy-outs, making sure that employees to be released are not informed until the maximum amount of ‘free’ work possible has been got.

jedidethfreak says:

Not in most cases.  When a company is taken over by another, all contracts need to be re-negotiated.  Therefore, if the new contract isn’t signed, they don’t owe anyone anything.

Freedom of speech means the freedom to say ANYTHING, so long as it is the truth. This does not exclude anything that might hurt someone’s feelings.

GoodRobotUs says:

It’s the pay thing that really annoys me when stuff like this happens, I’m not sure if there is a legal procedure to follow, but I’m pretty certain that you could probably take Midway to court over the lost wages.

ZippyDSMlee says:

Ya a shame but even edios is being gutted since thier take over by sqaure…. being taken over means alot of butt hurt…..

I am a criminal because I purchase media,I am a criminal because I use media, I am a criminal because I chose to own media..We shall remain criminals until Corporate stay’s outside our bedrooms..

Magic says:

It’s awful news to hear, I briefly knew Craig at his last workplace and he seemed like a very dedicated guy. I hope they all find new jobs, though companies in the UK seem to be growing sparse. :-/