Midway HQ: Last One Out, Turn Out the Lights

July 17, 2009 -

Midway's fade into gaming oblivion continues with word that all 60 employees at the bankrupt firm's Chicago HQ will be let go in September.

The cuts include CEO Matt Booty and other execs, reports the Chicago Tribune.

That popping sound you hear is the deployment of golden parachutes for the top dogs.

Comments

Re: Midway HQ: Last One Out, Turn Out the Lights

Hmm, I doubt anyone would complain if Namco got Mortal Kombat.

And I hope the ones fired will find new work.

Re: Midway HQ: Last One Out, Turn Out the Lights

They won't.  WB got MK along with all of the assests I believe.

---

Freedom of speech means the freedom to say ANYTHING, so long as it is the truth. This does not exclude anything that might hurt someone's feelings.

--- With the first link, the chain is forged.

Re: Midway HQ: Last One Out, Turn Out the Lights

shush dont give jack ideas

Re: Midway HQ: Last One Out, Turn Out the Lights

I wonder why Jack Thompson haven´t claimed victory or something like it was all his doing.

The cynical side of videogames (spanish only): http://thelostlevel.blogspot.com/ My DeviantArt Page (aka DeviantCensorship): http://www.darkknightstrikes.deviantart.com/

Re: Midway HQ: Last One Out, Turn Out the Lights

That sucks pretty hard.  Sounds like that guy who bought it as it was failling basically demolished the company to make a profit or else to use it as a tax write-off, which, while not illegal, is fucked up as all hell.

I hope those 60 can find another job; maybe whoever picks up Mortal Kombat will pick them up too, God willing.  Although, to be honest, I think some of them may need to be left out to keep MK from being so stagnant.

A sad, sad day, that September will be.

Re: Midway HQ: Last One Out, Turn Out the Lights

Wow, Midway is being far more disassembled than I expected.

Rather ironic too, because Booty must've got the memo he's being cut right as he got back from his trip to Europe to cut his branch there.  =/

SleakerAlthough.. I don't think it hurts anyone if kids think the report is true :P09/01/2014 - 3:26am
Sleakerand just for future reference. National Reports is a fake news site, they decided to remove their disclaimers a while back apparently...09/01/2014 - 3:25am
Thomas RiordanDon't feel bad. I posted the same thing last night and deleted it once I realized it wasn't real.08/31/2014 - 11:13pm
E. Zachary KnightAh. The report actually read serious to me. Oh well. At least it didn't happen.08/31/2014 - 7:46pm
ConsterAlthough apparently someone who was in a swatting ring in Texas took a plea for up to 5 years in July.08/31/2014 - 7:14pm
ConsterProbably because it's a satire site.08/31/2014 - 7:13pm
E. Zachary KnightI agree that the kid should be punished, but the charge and sentence seem a bit overboard to me. http://nationalreport.net/15-year-old-swatted-domestic-terrorism/08/31/2014 - 6:56pm
Andrew EisenI get a "page doesn't exist."08/31/2014 - 11:50am
MaskedPixelantehttps://twitter.com/Nevelets/status/506076879309508608 What we're currently supposed to be offended by, or whatever.08/31/2014 - 10:10am
MechaTama31AE: Probably snarky commentary on this: http://www.gamepolitics.com/2014/08/29/principle-player-leland-yee-arms-trading-case-dies08/30/2014 - 8:43pm
Andrew EisenConster - Don't know. Got a link to whatever you're referring to?08/30/2014 - 7:04pm
ConsterWait, what's this about Leland Yee eliminating witnesses?08/30/2014 - 5:50pm
IanCBroke my EA boycott to pick up Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare. Loving it. Still hate EA though. But i like Popcap. Gah.08/30/2014 - 6:01am
MaskedPixelantehttp://m.tickld.com/x/something-you-never-realized-about-guardians-of-the-galaxy Right in the feels.08/29/2014 - 6:56pm
AvalongodAgain I think we're conflating the issue of whether Sarkeesian's claims are beyond critique (no they're not) and whether its ever appropriate to use sexist language, let alone physical threats on a woman to intimidate her (no it isn't)08/29/2014 - 5:04pm
prh99Trolling her or trying to assail her integrity just draws more attention (Streisand effect?). Which is really not what the trolls want, so the only way to win (if there is a win to be had) is not to play/troll.08/29/2014 - 5:02pm
prh99Who cares, just don't watch the damn videos if you don't like her. Personally, I don't care as far as she is concerned as long there are interesting games to be played.08/29/2014 - 4:34pm
Andrew EisenZip - And yet, you can't cite a single, solitary example. (And no one said you hated anyone. Along those lines, no one claimed Sarkeesian was perfect either.)08/29/2014 - 3:51pm
Andrew EisenSaint's Row: Gat Out of Hell was just announced for PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One making it the 150th game For Everything But Wii U! Congratulations Deep Silver!08/29/2014 - 3:49pm
ZippyDSMleeI do not hate them jsut think its mostly hyperlobe.08/29/2014 - 3:40pm