Research: Video Game Characters Lack Ethnic & Gender Diversity

If you are a white male, the chances are pretty good that you will have something in common with the character you play in your favorite video game.

If you are a woman or ethnic minority, not so much.

At least, that’s the conclusion drawn by researchers from the University of Southern California, Indiana University, Ohio University and Virginia Polytechnic. The research is published in the current issue of New Media & Society.

Study leader Dmitri Williams of USC commented on the data:

Latino children play more video games than white children. And they’re really not able to play themselves. For identity formation, that’s a problem. And for generating interest in technology, it may place underrepresented groups behind the curve.

Ironically, they may even be less likely to become game makers themselves, helping to perpetuate the cycle. Many have suggested that games function as crucial gatekeepers for interest in science, technology, engineering and math.

According to the study, only 3% of video game characters are Hispanic; all of those noted were non-playable characters. Ony 10% of characters are women.

Via: TG Daily

164 comments

1. The Hangd Man says:

Actually I already came up with Hispanic Chewbacca. I wanted to remake Star Wars, but do it in a post apocalyptic setting like Mad Max or Fallout. Chewie would be played by Danny Trejo and I’d have a Chinese Han played by Chow Yun Fat. Never got around to anyone else because that combination would’ve been too awesome on its own.

I hate broccoli/ and think it totally sucks/ Why isn’t it meat?

2. JDKJ says:

Then here’s the trick: bitch about legacy as much as you do affirmative action. Then I’ll be left only to conclude that while you bitch a lot, at least you’re an equal opportunity bitcher.

And, yes, affirmative action is racist. But at least it’s openly so. It’s the hidden agenda of which I’m always fearful. That shit’ll blindside you, if you ain’t careful.

3. Austin_Lewis says:

Believe me, I think both are more than moronic.  Legacy is how you create scores of fratboy-esque heads of companies.  You can, in some cases, actually watch a series of legacy Ivy League Grads DESTROY, completely, a once great business.  On a related note, I think a lot of fraternities need to be done away with.  They add nothing to a college, and all they do is give jobs to completely unqualified people upon graduation (people who, during their college years, spent all their money and time drinking and trying to figure out how to avoid going to class).

My problem with affirmative action is that it is, inherently, racist (which you noticed, apparently).  Sure, legacy admissions are prevalent at some schools, but I suggest that if we look nationwide at all schools, you’ll find more unqualified or less-qualified people are in colleges due to affirmative action than legacy admission.

While I’m on the subject, I’m also sick of hearing about people buying a building for a school just so there shithead child can get into college.  Schools need to knock that shit off.

4. Michael Chandra says:

It hurts so much to be compressed… =(

But I agree. The least you could do if claiming you got knowledge about the subject is using the subject’s terminology.

5. Michael Chandra says:

And what if there’s 2/3 black, 1/3 white in a game? Does this mean they turned it into 1/2 black, 1/2 white chance?

6. JDKJ says:

By including those games in the 97% of games which don’t contain any Hispanic characters, I’d imagine. Not to say it’s fair or unfair to expect or not expect anything. Just to say that’s how accounting normally works.

7. Erik says:

In their "3%" of game characters being hispanic how do they take into account for games which take place in worlds where there is and never has been a Spain?  I mean is it really even fair to expect to try for some level of racial-spotlight-time when they have to compete with fucking Argonians?

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

8. JDKJ says:

In a sense your response is much more ad hominem since you havent even attempted to deal with the argument I laid out, but instead decided to skip to my emotional claims and disagree with my use of the phrase "shut the fuck up." You say When in doubt, ad homeninum ad homeniem to victory! You haven’g got anything else. Well I laid out a very simple and clear argument for you which you havent even botherd to discuss.

I see you noticed that, too. I believe that’s what Good Lord calls, in his own words, "ignoring most of my argument and picking on the details that excite you." In your case, however, I would rephrase it to say "ignoring all of my argument."

And, while it is certainly his prerogative to see your calling him a "dick" as an ad hominem, I see it as your simply noting an obvious fact. I guess it’s a matter of perspective.

And it is certainly your prerogative to engage in further discourse with Good Lord. However, you should be aware that it has been my experience that in the case of those who resort to feeble-minded rhetorical devices such as incorrectly restating the arguments of others; ignoring the arguments of others while glibly proclaiming that the others have no meritorious argument; and, upon clearly misusing one term as synonymous with another, refusing to admit the error but, instead, foolishly and doggedly insisting that they’ve made no error, time spent discoursing with them is usually not time well spent. But, again, the choice is yours.

9. Im_Blue says:

Well its not really ad homeniem since the majority of my post dealt with the logic of your argument which you havent retorted to. In fact you’v only botherd responding to the last section of my post which i will concede is emotional and ‘against the man’, but only in light of your argument.

I clearly state Not only is your claim logicaly flawed it also makes you a dick.

Finally on the issue of what consitutues ‘shutting the fuck up’ I concede that making the games you want to is the very opposite of ‘shutting the fuck up’ but you’re missing the point of the whole dicussion, that these people often don’t have the equal opurtunity to make mainsteam games. I never once said the idea of these people making games was a worse idea then complaining, I clearly said it is more desirable. It is precisly what we want, more equal racial and sexual representation in the gamming industry. The point is when these people are unable to, or have great dificulty directly influincing the gameing industry then ‘complaining’ about it is an entierly legitimete endevour.

Where I state that you’re telling them to "shut the fuck up" it is in reference to your somewhat dogmatic claim that they shouldn’t complain at all, but rather just directly change things, whilst ignoring the problem of how disadvantaged groups can overcome the very real barriers which prevent such active roles.

So the question remains ‘when it is extremley dificult, challenging, and sometimes virtually impossible to directly change the gamming industry, is it not entierly reasonable to use different (non violent) methods. Including attempting to bring your issue into the public light?’

You haven’t answered this question yet, but I hope now i’v cleared it up enough for you by now.

10. FlakAttack says:

"African-Americans are more proportionately represented, but mostly appear in sports games or titles like 50 Cent Bulletproof which represent racial stereotypes."

So it’s racist if they include them and racist if they don’t. Ugh.

So many minority groups whine about not being accepted enough, and yet here they are, specifically pointing out the differences between them and the majority, an action which is inherently racist, and then they call us racist. The irony is killing me.

Maybe if more hispanic and black people were involved in game design, we’d see more characters based on them. But forget that point, check this out: According to the study, only 3% of video game characters are Hispanic; all of those noted were non-playable characters.

So what games did they check? I guess they must have missed almost every MMO ever, or even other big titles like Gears of War (Dom is a playable character in multiplayer and co-op, which I guess is better than nothing).

11. JDKJ says:

Newsflash: There’s this thing called "the past tense." As in: "I’d decided to ignore your ass." Not to be confused with this other thing called "the present tense." As in: "I’ve decided to ignore your ass." While you’ve proved yourself no apparent candidate for NASA’s Astronaut Program, I’m confident a concept as simple as the difference between past and present tense doesn’t lay beyond your grasp.

12. JDKJ says:

There’s no need for you to take me seriously. I’m certainly not taking you seriously. If you don’t take me seriously, then at least there’ll be a certain symmetry to the whole thing, champ.

13. JDKJ says:

I was going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it was a random spelling error rather than your complete lack of familiarity with relevant terms of art until I noticed that you did it not once but twice.

14. Good Lord says:

Newsflash: Announcing to the everyone that you’re ignoring someone is doing pretty much the opposite.

I do take your inability to make a reasoned point for two whole days to be indicative of a complete lack of knowledge on the subject, though.

Keep making excuses, maybe it’ll get you somewhere some day. Maybe you’ll even get the funding for a bullshit study like this one!

15. JDKJ says:

FYI, the term of art describing one who makes a grant is not "granter." It is "grantor." And for your future reference, you can more conveniently and succinctly refer to "the person receiving the grant" by use of the term of art "grantee."

If I might pry, is your educational/professional background in law, finance or, as would more readily appear to be the case, dumb-fuckery?

16. JDKJ says:

Actually, I wasn’t relying on anyone for anything. Truth be told, I’d decided to ignore your ass. Your insistence that you weren’t understanding what is in my opinion a clearly stated and quite easily understood point, forced upon me the conclusion that either: (a) you were feigning ignorance and/or obtuseness for some twisted rhetorical purpose or (b) you are in fact ignorant and/or obtuse. Either way, any one of these standing alone is a sufficient and compelling basis in my book for me to ignore your ass and therefore that’s exactly what I proceeded to do. You shouldn’t mistake my indifference to you for sloth.

17. JDKJ says:

Thanks for the invite. I’ll gladly accept.

You’re a dick. A huge phallus. A gigantic prick. A big penis. A weenie. A willie. And, saving the best for last, a schmuck.

18. Good Lord says:

Next time, try it yourself instead of relying on others to do your work for you. You’re as bad as the people in question here, so I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

19. Good Lord says:

I find it really disgusting that your suggesting that repressed minorities should just shut the fuck up and overpower the system themselves, rather than appealing to others in more fortunate and persuasive positions of power.

Not only is such a claim logicaly flawed it also makes you a dick.

I find it absurd that you think I’m suggesting minorities should "shut the fuck up" on the issue. Since when does taking an actual stand and doing some work to change an issue, rather than booing from the sidelines, constitute "shut the fuck up"? Some people have it tough. Some people are dealt a shitty hand growing up. So what? Instant gratification for everyone? Pats on the back all around?

But whatever, call me a dick. When in doubt, ad hominem to victory! You haven’t got anything else.

20. JDKJ says:

Kudos to you and your ability to take a "piss-poor" explanation of something and yet understand it perfectly.

21. JDKJ says:

Yes, but it does appear that the idiocy of the legacy admission should perhaps be your new focus. If you find it unfair that admission be granted on the basis of race and other such factors, then you should also find it unfair that admission be granted on the basis of your old, wrinkled-assed Daddy being an alumnus. There’s no more "merit" in the latter than the former. And it does appear, if Princeton’s current admissions are any sort of useful indicator, that the use of legacy admissions may well be more prevalent than the use of affrimative action admissions.

Or could it be possible, Mr. Lewis, that what really bothers you about affirmative action is not that it is inherently unfair but that it gives racial minorities a competitive leg-up? While, on the other hand, you see nothing wrong with legacy admission because, by and large, it benefits the children of wealthy white folks?

Have I called you "racist" recently? If not, then consider your memory refreshed.

22. Austin_Lewis says:

Because Rush Limbaugh is the only person that ever spoke out against the idiocy that is affirmative action, of course.  And while quite a few schools have done away with it, many have not.

23. Spartan says:

I’m all for more ladies in video games; especially Asian ones.

—————————————————————————

"The most difficult pain a man can suffer is to have knowledge of much and power over little" – Herodotus

24. BrandonL337 says:

No what it says is that Race isn’t as big a deal as racists make it out to be, racism is still an issue, this fact simply makes racist fuckwits look even stupider than they usually do.  To say that because race is a meaningless concept, constructed by humans that racism is also meaningless or unimportant makes me question your intellectual capacity as your statement in regards to the previous post is completely nonsensical and exists only to make a (incorrect, asinine, and idiotic) political point.  However you seem to be the type of person who would be proud of an intelligence small enough that they would miss the patently obvious point of the post that they are responding to just as long as they don’t appear to be a elitist liberal intellectual.

There have always been motherf*ckers, there will always be motherf*ckers, but what we can’t do is let them control our motherf*cking lives. -John Oliver, December 1st, 2008

25. Im_Blue says:

Good Lord you are actually totally off the mark with this one, his logic is not circular at all, in fact his argument is that if you take a statement like "they should stop bitching and make their own games" with another (VERY TRUE STATEMENT) "that it is not always possible to obtain the funding to make your own games" then YOU and Austin wind up a logically flawed argument.

Your conclusion is "they should stop bitching and make their own games." So lets see how it plays out.

Premise 1: Person A is concerned about underepresentation.

Premise 2: They have two options to deal with this, complaining or making their own games.

premise 3: Making their own games is more desirable than complaining to others. (I’ll agree with this)

Premise 4: (I know you didn’t ass this but it is true): Due to economic and social-political factors making ones own game isn’t always an option.

Therefore

Your conclusion: They should stop bitching and make their own games.

More logical conclusion: They should make their own games whenever possible, but if that option isn’t feesible they should resort to bitching and moaning.

Now as I understand it an implicit premise to your an Austin’s argument is that it is always ‘possible’ to get money if you really want to or work hard at it. But this statement is pretty misleading, I mean in the strictest sense it may be true, that theoretically you can always make money but everyone knows it doesnt really work like that. Social and economic situations GREATLY affect the likley hood of people in the poor people making it big.

As a hypothetical consider a Harvard Law graduate, the son of wealthy doctor parents, who wants to start up his own Law Firm.

Now consider a young black girl, born in the ghetto to crack parents, with economic responsobilities to his family. THis person one day decides that he would like to  start his own law firm.

Now yeah its possible that the said black person might ‘beat the odds’ and somehow earn enough money to look after her family, whilst getting a harvard law degree and then starting her own sucssesful law firm. But in reality this RARELY HAPPENS, and often due to fault of their own.

Not only is such a claim logicaly flawed it also makes you a dick.

26. Good Lord says:

What’s your argument then, champ? Enlighten me, because you’ve done a piss-poor job of explaining yourself so far.

27. JDKJ says:

Well, it beats the stuffing outta you trying to cram an argument I never made down my throat. If you think that strategy keens me to further discussions with you then, FYI and IMO, that’s up there with you thinking a grant and an investment are one and the same.

28. Good Lord says:

interchangeable terms of art

…What?

You think when grant money is being given out, it’s just tossed around blindly? It’s a calculated investment: the "return" the granter receives is the success of the individual or group the money is being spent on. They spend the money in the first place because they see value in whatever it is they’re spending it on. Just because the person receiving the grant doesn’t pay the money back doesn’t mean the granter isn’t looking for a return of another sort.

Honestly, do you even have a point here anymore? I’m under the impression you’ve got nothing left to say, either because you’ve run out of ideas or you’ve realized that your argument is completely without merit. I mean, if you want to keep arguing about grants and investments, that’s cool… but it’s kind of off-topic.

29. JDKJ says:

I am excited by the fact that you think "a grant" and "an investment" are interchangeable terms of art. It’s a lot more interesting to me than the other feebleness like trying to re-cast my argument. Forgive me, but I’m of quirky tastes and gravitations. What, I should pick on the details that excite you? Who’s picking? Me or you?

30. Good Lord says:

A "grant" is money given to a person or organization by people who are banking on it being used for a specific purpose. The "investment" in this case is the well-being of the cause the money’s being spent on: for students, this would be their continued education; for software development, we can assume it would be the financial success of the company. An investment isn’t always a grant, but a grant is always an investment.

Still working on your MBA?

Nah, I graduated, thanks. Still making excuses for the inept? You know, when you’re not busy trying to make yourself sound smart by ignoring most of my argument and picking on the details that excite you.

31. Erik says:

That will work as long as you want to make a shitty indie movie that will be shown in some coffee house to some uptight twats who will pretend to like it so they can continue their illusion of being trendy.

Now before someone attempts to jump on my shit and say that I am saying that these people are deserving of anything further than this, no I am not.  But if the "less fortunate" can squeeze you to further their goals they will.  And there is no reason for them NOT to.  Sort of how capitalism works.  Fuck everyone over for your own gain.

Also, "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" is a really retarded utterance on behalf of those who buy into the farce of the so called "American Dream".  Saying to people in the gutters that if they work hard they can make something of themselves is really giving them false hope.  Many will not work hard at all and will make it big.  Others will kill themselves working their asses off and end up in some unmarked grave.  When it comes down to it life is one big random joke.

To sum things up: No you do not deserve access to the goods needed to produce such media.  But if you can get it then go for it.  Work hard, or don’t work at all.  Random chance will choose the winners from each group, everyone else gets unmarked graves.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

32. JDKJ says:

A "grant" is money upon which the grantor holds no expectation of it ever being returned (hence, it is also often referred to as "free money"). An "investment" is money upon which the investor expects a return on their investment. Obviously and contrary to your assertions, a grant is not synonymous with an investment. Still working on your MBA?

33. Good Lord says:

No re-casting required, you’ve stated your case: "can’t take a risk because there’s no money, can’t get money because that’s a risk". I’m telling you it’s wrong. Not in my opinion, mind you. That’s just the fact of the matter. There’s money everywhere, and clever people of all economic stripes have found ways to get it for decades.

Do you think it’s political posturing by playing the race card solely for whatever inherent joy may be derived from political posturing by playing the race card? Or is it not at all possible that it is political posturing by playing the race card designed to be a means to an end?

It’s clearly a means to an end, no question. It’s just a completely lazy and zero-risk means. "Backseat driving" and "armchair politics" are phrases that also come to mind. If these folks want to see change, they’re going to have do some real work on the issue, not just stamp their feet and make their best sad puppy face.

And you forgot to list the most "classic" means of acquiring venture capital: convincing someone on nothing more than the strength of your business plan to invest seed money in your business. I’d rather have an investment partner than a creditor. Wouldn’t you?

We generally refer to that as a "grant". But I suppose the real question is… are you arguing with me or against me at this point?

34. JDKJ says:

You can attempt to re-cast my argument as much as you like — but why you would, given that it’s immutably fixed in writing for all to see, is beyond me. But suit yourself.

35. Good Lord says:

It’s circular because your argument is "they can’t because they can’t". That’s complete bull, and you know it. If they don’t have the capital to do something NOW, they can acquire it over time. Remember when you were a little tyke and you wanted that neat new toy, but mom and pop said you had to save up your allowance if you wanted to get it? Were you the kid who mowed lawns and delivered papers to get it quicker, or the kid that threw a temper tantrum?

Don’t even bring up real issues of racial discrimination, because that’s not what this is. There are PLENTY of examples of modern games that portray women and ethnic minorities as heroes. Here’s an often-overlooked example of both: Mirror’s Edge. Asian, female (and one of the few examples where the female lead’s appeal isn’t primarily sexual). These folks are cherry-picking their statistics, as they admitted (and quoted by keen-eyed GP readers several times in this very comments section): any time the user had control over their character’s race or gender, they randomized instead. This bitching and moaning isn’t to try to achieve equal rights, it’s political posturing by playing the race card.

36. jedidethfreak says:

Don’t forget the fact that you almost can’t track used game sales, so their sales-based and buyer-race-based numbers are automatically wrong.

Freedom of speech means the freedom to say ANYTHING, so long as it is the truth. This does not exclude anything that might hurt someone’s feelings.

37. JDKJ says:

Actually, it’s quite linear logic. When "A" = capital, and "B" = risk-taking, if "A" is a necessary prerequisite of "B," if no "A," then no "B."

And the way it works in the socio-political world is that oftentimes pressures of a variety of sorts (social stigmatization, economic boycotts, operational disruptions)  have been successfully brought to bear in bringing about desired outcomes. I suppose the good folk of Montgomery, Alabama could have formed and funded their own bus line where they could have sat in the front, back, or on the roof, if they wanted, but they didn’t. They boycotted the existing bus line and added to that a fair amount of "bitching and moaning." And then they didn’t return their patronage or quit their "bitching and moaning" until they got what they wanted. Worked pretty well for them. There’s not just one way to skin the cat in all instances.

38. jedidethfreak says:

While I agree to a certain extent, I’d have to question WHY the developers have to think of that.  It’s called "Freedom of Expression."  Even if they were, in fact, trying to say what it is percieved that they said, they have every right to say it, almost everywhere in the civilized world.  The personal feelings of a select few are not supposed to require people to change what they want to say to make them feel better about their lot in life.  Those people should put some effort into raising their lot in life.

39. Good Lord says:

Circular logic.

You’re under the assumption that a venture like this gets funded instantly. The way it works in real life (in industries besides gaming as well, including the arts and science) is if your idea needs funding and you don’t have it yourself, you do one or more of the following:

a) Apply for grants.

b) Apply for loans.

c) Save up the money yourself over an extended period of time.

No one is saying venture capital comes quick or easy. Plenty of folks who’ve started with nothing have become successful through their own hard work (and essentially betting their life savings on their dreams). Blaming these whiners’ lack of initiative on the current economic situation is a cop-out: they could’ve gotten into the industry before, but didn’t. Why? My guess: they don’t actually want to do the hard work.

40. jedidethfreak says:

It’s kind of funny, because the people who’s social policies involve strict science over any belief (liberals) will avoid that argument, because that would force people to admit that racism isn’t really as big an issue as they would like to believe.

41. Ganjookie says:

SO THATS WHY I have some crazy identiy crises.

I grew up playing as a square block that was trying to escape a castle, or a blocky race car driving on a track..shit Ive been a straight line before in other games!

Trevor Gray
    ganjookie@yahoo.com

42. JDKJ says:

You’ll be pleased to know that affirmative action isn’t half as fashionable as it was in the 1970s and 1980s. In fact, at many major and prestigious state universities, it’s been abolished or severely curtailed (e.g., the University of California system). This while the use of legacy as a factor in admissions has increased. So, I’d actually bet that at many universities there are currently more legacy spots being awarded than affirmative action spots.

For example, Princeton’s self-disclosed legacy admission rate is 40% (4 of 10 admitted students). You think they’ve got more than 40% affirmative action admissions?

You really need to quit drinking the Limbaugh Kool-Aid and then throwing it up all over the place as if that’s any kind of substitute for critical and reasoned thought. Instead, go out and get two facts and rub them together and see what kind of fire you can start on your own. ‘Cause here’s the bad news: Rush is a moron and your parroting him makes you sound like a moron, too.

43. Austin_Lewis says:

"And do you think it possible that a more qualified candidate was denied admission to Yale so he could get his legacy spot?"

Do you think it possible that a more qualified candidate was denied admission to a school due to affirmative action policies?  Because I bet that takes up a lot more slots than legacy admissions.

44. JDKJ says:

My point is that if you can’t bankroll the risk-taking when bank-rolling the risk-taking is a necessary prerequisite of the risk-taking, then it is impossible for you to take the risk.

45. JDKJ says:

That would be Ol’ Doc Kefka’s impersonation of a black person talking (e.g., "dis," "dat," and "da" for "this," "that" and "the"). Of course, he sees nothing racist in his own such conduct.

46. JDKJ says:

You know something, nightywind2K? For someone who’s not stupid, you come up with a lotta dumb shit.

You think that the majority of team owners in major league sports ascended to that position on the basis of their merit and worth for the position? GTFOH. They got there in most all cases on the strength of one single attribute: they had a shitload of money. And in many of those cases, it’s not even money they themselves earned. It’s they Daddy’s money. George Bush II, who may well be one of the biggest idiots to walk the face of the Earth and was about as sorry at business as one can possibly be, owned a baseball team in Texas. You think he ended up owning a baseball team in Texas on the strength of his merits for the position?

And, as an aside, do you really think his moronic ass could have ever gotten into Yale if his father wasn’t a Yale alumnus? And do you think it possible that a more qualified candidate was denied admission to Yale so he could get his legacy spot?

47. Ratros says:

+1, but be careful, people don’t like it when you call for true equality and not special treatment for their preconcieved group.

I once had a dream about God. In it, he was looking down upon the planet and the havoc we recked and he said unto us, "Damn Kids get off my lawn!"

48. Ratros says:

Some is not enough when looking for a person to do a job.  They look for the one’s most qualified.  Once again, you’re not going to pick the fat man over fit guy for the NBA are you?

49. Good Lord says:

What’s YOUR point? Risk is how innovation happens. If these people want to be represented a certain way so badly, they should be taking it upon themselves to be a force of change from within the industry, not bitching about it from the outside.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

50. JDKJ says:

If it was truly the case that retired athletes can sit on their asses and never work another day in their lives, I don’t think we’d see so many of them pursuing post-game careers as coaches, commentators, pitch-men, etc. Or, perhaps, they’d rather work when they don’t have to than sit around on their asses. If it was me, I’d pick sitting around on my ass over needlessly working.

I’d think that having spent a lifetime in a professional sport would begin to qualify someone for a post-player career of some sort in that sport. It’s not like they’d be entirely clueless about the business.

Don’t you think that a business which derives significant if not all of its profits from the efforts of a particular segment of society owes some sort of moral obligation to hire, as best as possible, members of that segment? If, for example, I’ve made my fortune selling active sportswear to midgets, designed, manufactured, and marketed by midgets, do you think that if given a choice between an equally qualified midget and a non-midget, I’m not under some moral obligation or compulsion to pick the midget and, in so doing, give something back to the community which has contributed to my financial success?

51. nightwng2000 says:

I’ve always wanted to argue this particular case as being the ultimate hypocritical argument.

"An overwhelming majority of players in sport-x are African Americans."

"An overwhelming majority of owners in sport-x are European Americans."

"Therefore, there is only an under representation ov African Americans in sport-x ownership."

What happened to the "There is an under representation of European American players in sport-x, as already admitted to in the first sentence."?

The logical answer should actually be "The best of the best, regardless of race, gender, or other such factor, have been chosen for these positions.  If someone better comes along that has proven they can do better, then they should replace those already existing there."

This garbage about "There is a disproportionate number of so-n-so there, and so what if the best individuals are there, there HAS to be a quota set, regardless of character and competancy." is nothing more than ignorant bigotry.  One does not fight bigotry with bigotry.

Take the recent case of the Fire department personnel.  The best were turned away because of quota.  That doesn’t mean those who were GIVEN the position were failures.  But that the best based on proven competency were turned away.  And in the eyes of some, that’s acceptable because all that matters to them are numerical proportion in their own biased favor.

But what happens when something terrible happens during the reign of those GIVEN the position?  Will we be looking at their competency then?  Will we be asking "Did this happen because we put an individual in a position that they weren’t competent to handle this specific situation?"?  Or will we just say "Oh well, stuff happens.  We met our quota and that’s all that matters."  or "Hey, if it hadn’t been disproportionate to begin with, this wouldn’t have happened!  So it’s that other group’s fault!"

The further we move towards the "I deserve special attention ‘cuz I’m (a specific race, gender, sexuality, disability, religion, etc) rather than because I’m competet or could be competent if I worked for it", the further away from True Equality and Non-Discrimination.

You can argue all you want about "I deserve because I’m <fill in the blank with whatever irrelevancy you want>", but in the end, it means you don’t intend to EARN what you seek.

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as http://groups.myspace.com/pfenl

52. Wormdundee says:

Someone quoted a portion from the study further up. In the case of a game where it allows the player to select from multiple different main characters, or to create their own character, it was randomly selected.

So there you go.

53. Ratros says:

Most sports stars in the NBA, NFL, and such make enough money that when they do retire from the game, they need not worry about working.  Or has that changed?  I really don’t get into sports, nor do I really intend to enter the buisness, but it seems to me that I gotta wonder:

Do these athletes have the qualifications for said job?

If you’re talking about just a regular black person, then do they fit the job requirements?  Would you hire a out of shape fat man to play on your NBA team?  Seems kinda stupid to me, but maybe I’m just not comprehending what you’re saying.  Now if said person does fit the job requirements I don’t see why race would matter much….but then again, maybe that’s just me.

54. Wormdundee says:

I seem to remember you posting this exact same comment on multiple other articles. Thanks for your oh so helpful input.

55. JDKJ says:

There are any number of areas in which the old "pull yourself up by your own bootstraps" advice simply does not apply because there are no available bootstraps on which to pull. For example, if the claim is that the NBA team owners, despite an overabundance of African American players on the court, are not hiring a nearly proportionate or representative number of African Americans in front office positions, is "pulling yourself up by the bootstraps" a viable solution to this problem? Yes, you could glibly respond with the old "start or buy your own franchise and then you can staff it with whomever you choose," but is starting or buying a NBA team, given the many millions of dollars needed to do so and the fact that doing so is in large part a function of first obtaining franchise rights from the league and all the other necessary approvals, really a readily available solution? Of course it isn’t. Hence, there are no bootstraps on which to pull. A more readily available and more viable response is to demand of the team owners that they hire more African Americans in front office positions. And the demand is not being made "jus’ cuz." The demand is being made because if the league is willing to benefit off the backs of players on the court, then it should also be willing to give those players some meaningful chance of moving on to managerial positions once their careers on the courts have ended. Or should they simply be exploited for their on-court skills and then discarded when they no longer serve a useful purpose to the team owners?

56. Ratros says:

Things needed to make a movie:

1.  A video camera of some sort.

2.  Friends or Colleagues to play roles.

3.  Hands to hold said camera.

Doesn’t cost that much to make a movie.

Pawn shop for one, but ifen you don’t have 2 or 3, then you have more problems than worrying about the diversity of races in movies.

57. nightwng2000 says:

I’m sneaking in while working to check out this article and comments section (bad boy, BAD boy!).

So I haven’t had time yet to read the research in detail.  Not til tonight.

Does it discuss games that now allow you to create your own character with the multitude of diverse capabilities of design from race to gender to other factors?

I know that there aren’t a lot, but there do seem to be more coming along more and more often.

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

58. nightwng2000 says:

That’s what this whole article and argument is about.

It’s an issue about individuals or groups of individuals wanting one thing or another represented in video/computer games (or even movies, TV shows, etc).

They believe others should do for them, basically the argument being "just ‘cuz".

If those already in the industry don’t do things their way, then they are bigots or at least it’s implied as such.

You think race, gender, sexuality and even religion are the only under represented groups?

My argument is that people shouldn’t be whining that others aren’t doing things the way they want them to.  They should be finding ways to get it done themselves.

There is no one solution. Don’t have the equipment?  Don’t have friends with the equipment?  Having trouble finding a job?  Believe it or not, there are MANY folks with those same problems.  Do they say "Oh well, I’ve tried everything so someone owes me."  At least THEY tried.  But many don’t even bother to try other options or come up with other solutions.  Many just start out by arguing that they are owed something Just ‘Cuz.

Just simply dredging up that the person is poor or helpless isn’t going to cut it any more than Just ‘Cuz is.  Prove that you’ve gone the extra distance and tried to work to get the results you want, and then MAYBE, you’ll stand a better chance of earning that outside help.

An old addage of "You can’t help someone who won’t help themselves" should have an axiom of "You SHOULDN’T help someone who wont’ try to help themselves first."

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

59. DarkSaber says:

When did what I "want in a luxury leisure time item like a video/computer game, movie, or TV show" enter this discussion.

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

60. DarkSaber says:

Or too much time on your hands.

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

61. nightwng2000 says:

You don’t have a pot to piss in, but you care about luxury leisure time products like a video game, movie, or TV show.

Sounds like the old "we’ve got holes in our roof.  We, including our kids, haven’t eaten a decent meal in 2 weeks, and we’re about to be evicted.  But HEY!  We got this really cool 50 inch plasma screen TV in our front room!"

We don’t need to worry that technology is going to make us fat and lazy because the machines do all the work.

We’ve already got people arguing that they should be fat and lazy while everyone else does the work FOR them.  That they deserve the luxury items that everyone else supposedly has.  Just ‘cuz.

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

62. Balance says:

Wait a minute. Am I reading all that right?

Not all games featured visible primary characters.

So they ignored the many popular games where your character isn’t visible? Which are usually first-person perspective games that encourage players to think of themselves as the protagonist, and in which the player can easily imagine that the protagonist is of their own race/creed/culture/blood type/whatever?

In the event that a game provided the option to choose from a list of primary characters, such characters were selected randomly so that characters from both genders, all ethnicities and all age groups had an equal chance of being selected.

Oh, so rather than acknowledge that many games allow you to choose a character that matches your sex and ethnicity–or even customize the appearance–they chose at random.

So, they first discarded games that are nearly the ideal counter to their thesis. Then, they took the output of a random number generator as data. What kind of low-grade hacks are these?

That’s without even going into the question of how they determine ethnicity for a lot of the characters–many characters don’t do or say anything (assuming they speak at all) that would identify them with any particular culture. What did they do in those cases, base it on appearances, which is to say, on visual stereotypes? Do they consider Link Caucasian because he has pale skin and blond hair? What about those ears?

I don’t dispute that the distribution of characters doesn’t match up to real-world demographics. I am, however, dubious about the practicality of trying to make it match. Likewise, I seriously doubt that the distribution has any significant impact on identity formation–but even if it does, this study seems deliberately designed to exclude or distort data from the games that are best suited to counter that impact. That reeks of stupidity at best, and agenda-driven intellectual dishonesty at worst.

63. nightwng2000 says:

Then who gives 2 shits about what YOU want in a luxury leisure time item like a video/computer game, movie, or TV show?

If you’re too damn lazy a bum to find a way to WORK, whether through a job or going out and making connections with other people, then it’s your own damn loss.

We aren’t talking about the necessities of life like food, shelter, or even basic education.

We’re talking about a luxury leisure time item.

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

64. DarkSaber says:

Who gives 2 shits about Harvard. OR your son?

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

65. nightwng2000 says:

I don’t have the money to get my son into Harvard.

None of my friends have the money to get my son into Harvard.

I think my son deserves to get into Harvard just ‘cuz.

Everyone should be allowed into Harvard just ‘cuz.

I don’t have the super computer or programming knowledge to make the computer game -I- want produced.  So YOU have to make it for me, just ‘cuz I think I deserve the Right to DEMAND that you make the game -I- want it made.  You don’t have the Right to deny me.  If you do, then you’re a bigot.  Don’t argue back.  You don’t have the Right.  You’re a bigot if you do.  YOU have to do what I demand or the whole industry suffers accusations of bigotry and discrimination.

It has to be done MY way!  There is NO OTHER WAY!

:: Stomps feet like a bratty child. ::

To heck with the idea if you won’t do it and I can’t, then it doesn’t get done.  It HAS to be done BY YOU because -I- say so.  Otherwise you’re just mean and hateful and people shouldn’t like you!

So there!  😛

Really, is that an attitude I should really have?

Seriously, I prefer the "Someone else hasn’t done it, so I’ll do it myself.  And I’ll do whatever it takes to get it done.  If one solution doesn’t work, then I’ll find another one.".

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

66. Meohfumado says:

The reason for this is simple.  You write what you know.  You don’t want to write about something you have only passing familairity of, or you’ll be accused of being a hack, or stereotyping etc.

If all I know of black culture is BET, I’m not going to be qualified to create a diverse, and deep black character.

You want more diversity in video game protagonists, get more diversity in video game development and production.

But that involves a host of other social issues that you just can’t point a finger at.  So these guys would rather just point a finger and say, "Do better" instead of bothering to search for solutions to what truly is affecting minorities and is preventing them (if at all) from entering realm of video game development.

"You know what I wish? I wish all the scum of the Earth had one throat and I had my hands about it."

67. JDKJ says:

LOL!!

As if there’s great likelihood that while I don’t have a pot to piss in or a window to through it out of, all my friends are wallowing in surplus pots and windows.

68. DarkSaber says:

I’m reminded of a Nixon quote from "Fear & Loathing on the Campaign Trail"

"FUCK the helpless."

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

69. JDKJ says:

And once upon a time, gas was a nickel a gallon and a loaf of bread was a penny. And to qualify a borrower for a mortgage, a bank would require nothing more than a discernable pulse at the wrist. And Silicon Valley venture capitalist would dump millions of dollars on just about anyone who had a business plan with the word "internet" in it. That was then, but this is now. What is your point?

70. nightwng2000 says:

It’s called coming up with ideas to overcome obstacles.

If one doesn’t have an imagination worthy of overcoming obstacles, then what type of imagination can drive them to the end result they want in the first place?

If you don’t have a job, find one.  Never hear of actors waiting tables between jobs?

Yes, crappy economy.  There is no one solution for every problem.

But, if you really think others should do for you simply because you demand it, then answer this:

WHY?  Why should I do jack spit for you?  You aren’t willing to do for yourself.  So why should -I- do for you ANYTHING in any specific way that I may not choose to do of my own free will.

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

71. Meohfumado says:

Incorrect.  There is no race.

Scientifically, it doesn’t exist except in the minds of human beings.

Kingdom-Phylum-Class-Order-Family-Group-Species

Homo sapiens (aka human beings) are the species.  End of classification as far as raw science is concerned.  Human beings put their own classifications on ethinicity and race….but science does not because it considers all differences beyond that to be insignificant.

If you want to divy up Species into other groups, it becomes sub-species…not race.

Race was a lie told to humans to keep cultures seperate.

72. Austin_Lewis says:

Really?  I’m pretty sure that the banks that took the stimulus money were supposed to be doing JUST that.  And I’ve heard more than a few cases of people within the last month or two getting loans, including an unemployed preacher who got nearly 500K for a presentation that will probably not generate anything.  Then again, I haven’t had to ask for a loan in nearly a decade, so I could be wrong.

Then again, I know of many businesses (especially before the recession) that did just that.  People who made, as a family, less than 100,000 a year, who opened their own businesses.  From small battery shops to (now) internationally acclaimed custom gunshops, all opened with loans.  With success, the loans were paid off, but they started with loans that, had the business failed, would have bankrupted them.

The problem is this ‘there’s nothing we can do’ mentality.  So instead of being proactive, they bitch and moan.  There is ALWAYS a way.  That way may be risky, that way may not be the way YOU want, but there is always a way.

By the way, for minority groups, there are special grants set aside (some government, some less so) with the whole point of financing small businesses.

73. JDKJ says:

This may come as news to you, Mr. Lewis, but we’re currently neck-deep in one of the worst credit freezes in the last 100 years. Banks aren’t exactly leaping to lend money to some upper middle class professional couples with combined incomes in excess of $250,000 per year, much less on the sole basis of merely "having a job." You really should listen to less Limbaugh and Beck and, instead, occasionally scan the pages of the Wall Street Journal.

And as further, FYI, Michigans unemployment rate currently hovers at close to 15%. That’s a lot of people who have no job and are therefore automatically excluded from your "got a job, then get a loan" proposal.

74. DarkSaber says:

"It’s called borrowing from a friend."

Because everyone has a friend that has the stuff they need. Amirite?

Besides, when I asked my friend if I could borrow his nuclear reactor to help with my physics studies, he said no. Same as the time I asked him if I could practice bypass-surgery on him. Friends are dicks and selfish.

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

75. JDKJ says:

It’s called presupposing that I have a friend who can and is willing to let me borrow their equipment.

It’s call presupposing I have a job (a heck of a presupposition in these times) and that if I do have a job, it pays me more than enough to cover my basic survival needs and leaves me with money to spend on cheap equipment.

You’re making an awful lot of presuppositions, none of which are firmly rooted in any great likelihood.

76. Austin_Lewis says:

As long as you have a job, you can probably qualify for a loan from SOME organization or bank.

How do you think that most small businesses got started?  The individual put up what little capital they had, got a loan, and, in some cases, borrowed money from friends and family.  And then, with hard work (and, in some cases, a bit of luck) their businesses flourished!  If the business failed, they either struggled to pay the money back or filed for bankruptcy.

It’s called taking a risk.  Remember: Who Dares Wins.

77. nightwng2000 says:

It’s called borrowing from a friend.

It’s called working to earn the money for even cheap equipment to get one’s feet wet in the business.

This is one of the problems with that babbling that Obama made earlier this week.  He made it sound like people had to start at the top and there was nothing reasonable "below".

You can’t be a Doctor without learning anatomy, biology, and other important subjects.

You also don’t go from being in High School to being a superstar Surgeon.

And not everyone who becomes a superstar surgeon had access to surgical simulators (computer or other devices).

You also don’t go to work as a chef at a 5 star restaurant simply because you tell them you can boil water and believe you should be given the job.

If you have to start your career with a camera phone, then do it.  Work with what you have and PROVE you deserve the chance.  Not everyone who deserves the chance GETS their chance.

How powerful a computer was needed to create Super Columbine Massacre RPG?  It got noticed.  Not completely in a positive way, but it was NOTICED.  Work to build something that can be noticed, even with something less than top quality.

Very few, if any, of the top people in today’s industry had their earliest start with GTA or Titanic.  they worked their way up.  Very few start out with their first work being world changing material.

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

78. Lorben says:

"According to the study, only 3% of video game characters are Hispanic; all of those noted were non-playable characters."

What about Ramiro Cruz in Total Overdose and Chili Con Carnage?

79. JDKJ says:

Yes, Mr. Lewis, people can make videogames at home and do so all the time. But not all people posses the necessary financial resources to make videogames at home. The start-up costs of equipping oneself to make videogames at home are not insignificant and are not within the reach of all people.

Proposing a solution which requires significant capital expenditure to someone who has no capital to expend is much akin to telling the homeless person that they should simply go rent or buy a house in which to live.

And he wasn’t merely talking about videogames. His point was made with respect to all media products (books, videos, videogames). And my point still stands: you can’t finance these sorts of productions with nothing more than the dried-out shit stains in your underwear.

80. Austin_Lewis says:

People make videogames at home all the time, and that’s what he was talking about.

You know, like Counter Strike.

81. wintermute says:

No, it reeks of bias and partiality.  I wouldn’t call this a "study", I’d call it "let’s fix some numbers so we can have something to quote when we try to push our agenda…"

82. wintermute says:

And every time someone attempts to put a hispanic, or african-american, or female, or middle eastern character into a major role in a game, that character gets picked apart by whatever ethnic or gender group their from, and then the gaming community gets told "that character wasn’t good enough".

Who’s the ones creating the games in the first place?  Mostly white males who don’t normally live or work within the minority communities.  And where do they get the blueprints for their characters?  From what they see as the basis of their respective cultures.  So, when a white male sees a slew of rap videos, mostly by african-americans, and they see the clothing styles, the attitudes, the percieved culture, and then goes out into the public, and seees that same percieved culture played out in public, what are they to think?

Or how about when that same person speaks to a large number of asians, and every one he talks to has a very thick asian accent, how do you think he’ll depict them in a game?  Just how many people in Japan have had enough exposure to the Latino culture to create a hispanic character that correctly represents the Latino community?  How many times have we seen games from Japan with laughable caucasian characters built on stereotypes?

The bottom line is that the cultural diversity within the games themselves will almost always be equal to the culutural diversity and awareness of those making the games, and there’s only two ways to increase the current diversity level, either bring in more people from each culture, or bring in experts from each culture to "guide" the developmental process.

And don’t forget that fact that, even when a culture is represented correclty, somebody will still find a problem with them "not having enough screen time" or "not being relateable enough"…

83. JDKJ says:

How do I shoot and edit my video production if I can’t afford to buy or rent video production and editing equipment?

How do I develop a videogame if I can’t afford access to a fairly powerful computer?

84. nightwng2000 says:

Because anyone can write a story and get it published as an Independant.

Because anyone, after a proper education, even by reading books from a library, can develop, program, and distribute a video/computer game or other software package as an independant, which, thereby gains attention and experience to possibly be hired by other major league companies.

Because anyone can write, produce, record, and distribute a short film, a series of episodes, and even music videos online such as Google Video and YouTube.

Because anyone stands the chance of being noticed if they WORK at it rather than expecting it to be HANDED to them because they simply believe they deserve to have it just handed to them.

Atheletes learned this long ago.  You don’t just appear in the professional sport arena.  You get yourself noticed through education and practice in what you plan on specializing in.

Musicians do the same thing.  They ALL have somewhere to start.  Sometimes it’s a crappy starting point.  Sometimes they think they’ll never be noticed.  Sometimes they aren’t.  Some work themselves to death and never get noticed.  Others work hard just for 15 minutes of fame.

In certain issues, such as the legal arena, I respect the heck out of you JDKJ.  I wouldn’t routinely direct legal questions to you if I didn’t believe you had reasonable or above average knowledge in that field.  Definitely more than myself.

But other times, like now, you seriously make me shake my head in disgust at some of the nonsense you’ve said (and, yes, I know many have said the same about me).

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

85. JDKJ says:

Doesn’t nightywind2K’s Option B suggest the possible solution of producing media products more to your liking if you are dissatisfied with the content of media products? Aren’t film and television programming both forms of media product? I didn’t read where he limited himself to any particular sorts of media products. As a matter of fact, he specifically and in all-caps refers to "ANY" media porduct. Ergo, film and television programming are reasonably included in the class of "ANY media products" to which he refers.

I’d go easy on the "get an education" suggestions until you can somehow manage to make yourself appear capable of reading and understanding plain English.

86. Brokenscope says:

Where did he say anything about making a feature length film or launching a film channel?

Get an education and get inside the industry you clearly care enough about to bitch at. Contribute to the solution, don’t just bitch about the problem.

87. Austin_Lewis says:

AHA.

‘A large-scale content analysis of characters in video games was employed to answer questions about their representations of gender, race and age in comparison to the US population. The sample included 150 games from a year across nine platforms, with the results weighted according to game

sales.’

So, they analyzed characters in 150 video games from one year.  Interesting.  So, it seems like they picked and chose which games they looked at, because it’s obvious they didn’t randomize, nor did they pick by popularity.  And exactly how did they weight the games ‘relative to sales’?  It would seem that the race of the character or the gender (or age) has nothing to do with sales.

This whole thing reeks of bullshit and poor methodology.

88. JDKJ says:

Because anyone can finance the production of a feature-length film or the launching a CATV channel with the loose change that’s fallen between their sofa cushions. It’s that simple.

89. nightwng2000 says:

How to get a group represented in ANY media product that I feel is "under-represented":

A.  Throw a temper tantrum, call everyone already in the business a bigot because they don’t ALREADY provide representation of every possible diversity in existance, and demand that they DO provide whatever group I demand they do, whether they want to or not.

or

B.  Get the education and experience necessary to create my own bleeping product with the diversity of groups that I feel are "under-represented" and get it out to the public myself.

I like B better.  But apparently, some folks like A.

Go figure.

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

90. Yellowchposticks says:

What about animals/anthros like Yoshi or the Pandaren?  Machine intelligences like the Borg or Transformers?  Magical beings like elves or elementals?  Extraterrestrials like the Protoss or Zerg?  And supernatural beings like hellspawn and undead?

Why so racist you guys? 😛

91. Neo_DrKefka says:

Anytime there are black people in a video game the black community DA Community cries Racism

92. GoodRobotUs says:

I’m always in two minds about this. I’ll agree that it exists, but I also think that it is percieved more often than it actually exists.

There was a game called ‘City Life’, where society was divided into 3 main sections, with colour-coded scheme, there were artists, which Red, Industry, which was blue, and unemployed/’have nots’ (as they were called in the game), which was black….

I couldn’t help thinking that, whilst the colour coding was purely as a means of forcing the player to adopt certain building strategies (i.e. They were important to the way the entire game functioned), it’s also possible that stopping and thinking for 2 minutes could solve a lot of grief further down the road. I don’t think it was intended as racist in the slightest, but I could also understand how it could be construed as such, even though it is just an indicative colour, because people are hyper-aware of the colour Black and what it is used to represent.

It’s like the phrase ‘Black Magic’, it’s easy to say ‘Ah… but that’s just a colour of the type of Magic, it’s not about the people involved’, and it’s true, but how many people thought of Voodoo? Yet the truth is that many of the ‘worst’ practices of Voodoo were imported from European witchcraft (and the act of sticking a pin in a doll, was not to cause them pain, it was to release bad energy), yet, for a majority, the image of Black Magic will always conjure up, willingly or not, scenes akin to ‘Live and Let Die’.

But then, also, in its defence, can we assume that all computer programmers would be aware of something like that when so many other people aren’t? They are just as human as the next person, their conception of the world is built from the way it is presented to them, so is the problem so much with any kind of inherent racism in the Game makers in particular, or is the problem a much more general and apathetic kind of one, where casual assumptions are doing the damage? And are those assumptions really limited to game-writers?

Comments are closed.