Video Game Slowdown Impacts Amazon's Bottom Line

July 30, 2009 -

The Wall Street Journal reports that mega-online retailer Amazon.com posted a 14% revenue increase for the financial quarter ending June 30th, but its profits fell 10% from $158 million to $142 million.

Amazon’s Chief Financial Officer Tom Szkutak commented on the drop laid much of the bad news on declining video game sales:

You're seeing an industry slowdown in videogames and consoles.

Despite singling out games, other factors impacted the profit fall such as “flat” media sales in North American (including books and music) and a $51 million legal settlement paid to Toys R Us.

Via: GamesIndustry.Biz

Reporting from San Diego, GamePolitics Correspondent Andrew Eisen...

Comments

Re: Video Game Slowdow Impacts Amazon's Bottom Line

Why did they paid toys r us $51 million?

Re: Video Game Slowdow Impacts Amazon's Bottom Line

Had to do with a 2004 dispute where Toys R Us was to exclusively supply Amazon with stuff.

Source: http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D99KDI880.htm

Re: Video Game Slowdow Impacts Amazon's Bottom Line

Re: Video Game Slowdow Impacts Amazon's Bottom Line

When consoles go over 200 or 300 dollars, and game prices are approaching over 60 dollars, of course new sales are going to drop. And despire what the industry is trying to do, eradicatign the used market will mean people simply won't game.

Re: Video Game Slowdow Impacts Amazon's Bottom Line

They need to lower the prices. I mean we are seeing the price of video games at the level it was during the N64. Sony's PS1 price and the games price point 39.99 and 49.99 is something people can work with

Re: Video Game Slowdow Impacts Amazon's Bottom Line

This is why I shifted to Digital downloads on my Xbox 360, Wii and PS3, I still buy retail games time to time

Watching JT on GP is just like watching an episode of Jerry springer only as funny as the fights

America has just became its own version of the Jerry Springer Show after a bizarre moment in Florida involving a carnival worker.

Re: Video Game Slowdow Impacts Amazon's Bottom Line

Yeah, the price of video games IS slowly climbing, but it hasn't quite reached those levels yet. In Canada, most high profile new releases are now selling for 70$, which means I don't buy any new console games. It sucks, but I can't justify that much money for a game.

I'm being relegated to the PC scene (which I like better anyway), where new releases are consistently at 49.99.

But yeah, back in the N64 days I paid over 80 dollars for Tony Hawk 2. Yeesh, I can't believe I did that.

Re: Video Game Slowdow Impacts Amazon's Bottom Line

we need games to be rpiced the same as film 10-30 a pop. It will do far more good than bad.

I am a criminal because I purchase media,I am a criminal because I use media, I am a criminal because I chose to own media..We shall remain criminals until Corporate stay's outside our bedrooms..

---

Re: Video Game Slowdow Impacts Amazon's Bottom Line

Nah, I think paying $70 for an N64 game was worse, and $70 in 1998 dollars is somewhat more than $70 today. Right now I don't see the games top more than $60, not including those that come with extra accessories.

GameSnooper

Re: Video Game Slowdow Impacts Amazon's Bottom Line

I think that 51 MILLION DOLLAR SETTLEMENT Might have had a bigger role in screwing with their profits than the economy.  I know, sounds crazy.

Poll

Which video game platform are you most thankful for?:

Andrew EisenI don't get it. That's a link to a Dragon Ball Z set.11/29/2014 - 12:21am
MaskedPixelantehttps://hmv.ca/en/Search/Details?sku=763440 Real life Metroidvania.11/28/2014 - 8:33pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/nov/25/lee-rigby-report-internet-firms-safe-haven-terrorists-pm wow... come on uk really?11/28/2014 - 2:39pm
MaskedPixelantehttp://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/11/two_tetris_downloads_to_be_removed_from_the_3ds_eshop_in_europe Tetris to be removed from the 3DS VC at the end of the year in Europe. Other regions unknown, but will probably all happen too.11/28/2014 - 9:16am
Andrew EisenThe story you just linked to? The story you asked if anyone had seen? Yes, THAT obnoxiousness. I've heard it parroted for nearly two years now.11/27/2014 - 7:57pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen: That shes an ex con man?11/27/2014 - 7:54pm
Andrew EisenI've heard the same obnoxious horse poo for years. It's nothing new.11/27/2014 - 7:45pm
ZippyDSMleeAlso anyone see this? http://guardianlv.com/2014/11/anita-sarkeesian-unmasked-feminist-icon-or-con-artist/11/27/2014 - 7:28pm
ZippyDSMleeEvil within is a badly designed game.11/27/2014 - 7:28pm
Andrew EisenSure but you said "widens," hence my confusion. Looking into it, yep, there's a tweak to completely re-frame the image, adding more info at the top and bottom. You apparently need a fairly beefy rig to keep it running smooth when you do that though.11/27/2014 - 6:48pm
Matthew Wilsonthere is vertical fov, not just horizontal fov11/27/2014 - 6:38pm
Andrew EisenWell, you can widen it to 3:1 or even 10:1 but I don't know why you'd want to. From what I understand it's the missing visual info at the top and bottom that some object to, not that there isn't enough on either side.11/27/2014 - 6:36pm
Matthew WilsonI think it widenss the fov, so you get to see more.11/27/2014 - 6:31pm
Andrew EisenI don't see how as doing so would not add any visual information to the top or bottom of the screen.11/27/2014 - 6:04pm
Matthew Wilsonfrom what I read, getting rid of the black bars and stretching it out made for a better play experience.11/27/2014 - 5:59pm
Andrew EisenFrom what I hear, there's a ton of "look up and shoot at the guys above you" stuff in the game that the wider frame doesn't accommodate such actions well.11/27/2014 - 5:55pm
Andrew EisenHaving a game run in scope is not necessarily a bad thing but like any aspect ratio, you have to compose your shots correctly.11/27/2014 - 5:55pm
Neo_DrKefkaThe Evil Within was pretty bad and to make it worse the way the screen size made it hard for you to see even on a big screen it really hurt the game. Being Artistic is great but when you focus on art rather than what sells you run the risk of that happen11/27/2014 - 5:33pm
Matthew WilsonI kinda hope this is not true. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/11/nintendo_might_not_be_making_more_gamecube_controller_adapters_at_the_moment11/27/2014 - 1:34pm
Matthew WilsonI saw that. I wish people would stop preording, but sadly that will never happen.11/27/2014 - 1:26pm