Video Games Among Factors Blamed for Low Vitamin D in Children

A new study published in the journal Pediatrics reports that extensive video game and television usage by children may lead to abnormally low levels of vitamin D.

The Washington Post reports that a lack of vitamin D may lead to bone problems, heart disease, diabetes and other conditions. Low vitamin D affects roughly 70% of Americans aged 1-21, with about 9% having a level so low that it is considered deficient.

Researcher Micha Melamed of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York commented on the findings:

It’s astounding. At first, we couldn’t believe the numbers. I think it’s very worrisome. This appears to be another result of our unhealthy lifestyles, including a sedentary society that doesn’t go out in the sun much.

Via: Times of the Internet

Kabyk says:

Guys, theres a very simple solution.

I can’t open my shades and get sun in my room because it’ll put glare on my TV. So what should we do?

Let’s make TVs that don’t glare. Then, all the video game players can open their shades, get sun, AND enjoy their video games! Everybody wins.

Although this is an impossibility.

mdo7 says:

Somebody want to tell these same group about how Nintendo Wii are helping Parkinson’s Disease patients.  The same console is helping people with Arthritis, people who suffered from Stroke and Cerebral Palsy.

The Brain Age, or any of those game have proven to help Alzheimer’s Disease patients.

I work at NIH under NIA (National of Aging) as a summer student and I do research on neurodegenerate disease like PD, Alzheimer’s Disease, and the like of those.  I got enough research to proof video game has rehab or "wiihab" to help people.

ZippyDSMlee says:

Lul wut? how about poor understanding of nutrition by parents who should not have kids?
    Yes I said it parents>lack of outside play.(the sun burns me to death so I take some Vd supplements)

Until lobbying is a hanging offense I choose anarchy! Stop supporting big media and furthering the criminalization of consumers!!

Neeneko says:

Of course this couldn’t possibly have to do with the decreasing number of safe non-commercial outside spaces children have access to, or the increase in pedophile hysteria that causes parents to not trust strangers and thus keep thier children close to home at all times.

Even without TV or video games, children would spend more time inside because their options for outside have been slowly stripped away over the last 50 years.  Suburbia was designed from the ground up to isolate people from each other and keep families as self contained as possible.

Chaplain99 says:

You know what?  I think we should all do something outrageously simple: replace our sturdy, composite-shingle roofs with glass.  That’s right; SUN, 12/7.  Can’t get more Vitamin-D than that…

Also aesthetically pleasing.  ^^

"HEY! LISTEN!"

Zero Beat says:

And last week, all the morning talk shows were about how everyone under 30 gets too much sun and uses tanning beds too much, which leads to skin cancer and death.

"That’s not ironic. That’s justice."

Chaplain99 says:

Already been done.  It’s called FIND A SHADY SPOT AND SIT THERE.

You still get Vitamin-D, but less of the cancer.  I think.  Maybe.  <.<;

"HEY! LISTEN!"

foolkiller79 says:

So, if we just plop a kid out in the sun with a video game setup (PSP, DS) they should be good?  I am sure some peripheral maker can come up with some sort of sun shade for the screen.

JustChris says:

So do bones atrophy as much as muscles do during long periods of little activity? I mean, I hope that’s the assumption given to link low vitamin D to non-physical activities.

SimonBob says:

Right, because turning our kids into a generation of quick-fix pill-poppers will solve more problems than it creates, and certainly won’t lead to widespread agoraphobia or other related health issues.

In fairness, I was a Flintstones kid, but it says right on the bottle that they’re supplements rather than all-out replacements for fresh air and sunshine.  Corny but true.

The Mammon Philosophy

hellfire7885 says:

*facepalm* They are just desperate to have video games be the cause of ANY ailment. How long before game consoles emit cancer causing radiation?

As for the vitamin D thing, I have ocerheard talk on my bus in school that some kids refuse to drink milk as they don’t want to get fat and think skim milk is sigusting, so I doubt video games are the main cause.

PHX Corp says:

Heres what I have to say here, Kid has low vitimum D just send him outside to Get some sun(Common sense Everyone)

Watching JT on GP is just like watching an episode of Jerry springer only as funny as the fights