Crytek Will Leave Germany if Violent Game Ban is Passed

Far Cry and Crysis developer Crytek has renewed threats to leave Germany if a proposed ban on violent video games is passed. As GamePolitics noted in June, the recommendation by German interior ministers would impose a total ban on the production and distribution of violent games.

Edge Online has comment from Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli (left) on what the unprecedented government action would mean for his company:

A ban on action games in Germany is concerning us because it is essentially like banning the German artists that create them. If the German creative community can’t effectively participate in one of the most important cultural mediums of our future, we will be forced to relocate to other countries.

The current political discussion will deprive German talent of its place on the global game development stage, and deprive German consumers of entertainment that is considered safe and fun around the world.

How extreme is the anti-game sentiment in certain quarters of the German government? So extreme that in 2004, a SWAT team raided Crytek’s offices. Crytek developer Tim Partlett described the scene:

It was a total overreaction… They arrived first thing in the morning, and kicked down our doors. They even raided the nearby private residences…

I was caught just outside the office…  We were all shepherded into our Mo-Cap room, and there we were forced to remain until questioned, prevented from leaving by dozens of armed guards…

More than 60,000 Germans have signed a petition against the ban, triggering a mandatory government review of the proposal.

63 comments

Afirejar says:

Ah, I forgot. It’s OK, to imprison random people without charge as long as they’re foreigners. Right.

Ratros says:

It won’t be long now.

I once had a dream about God. In it, he was looking down upon the planet and the havoc we recked and he said unto us, "Damn Kids get off my lawn!"

Ratros says:

It’s not the fact that it is or isn’t a common occurence, it’s the fact that it happened at all when in all rights it shouldn’t have.

As to the US having a prison camp, this is for war criminals while the German camps were for those of the same country.  Of course we have had prison camps for our own citizens at times (WWII and Americans of Japanese lineage), but that is neither here no there.  We’re talking about how the goverment is abusing its own citizens, an act that is common with the Nazi regime that orginated from Germany.

Also, since you live there, YOU should be the one most upset about the way your goverment in acting.

Capgun says:

Holy crap, this is the first time I heard about the raid. I would’ve gotten outta there ASAP after that one. These guys got some balls if they’re willing to stick around when you have a swat team raiding your business

axiomatic says:

Dear Crytek,

Come to Houston, TX please. You will not find a better economy to florish in and your building lease will be far cheaper than any other city.

Germany…. wow… what a fuck up.

TBoneTony says:

As for me being an Australian, if they are going to ban Videogames on the internet, then I am going to Canada to live in freedom, not Australia where I am living in a "pretend" free country.

I remember how many people in my country often said to me that you should be lucky to live in a free country, but if you are a gamer or even an Otaku who likes the Japanese Dating Sims, then THAT is when you find out how free you really are.

TBoneTony says:

And I thought that my country Australia was bad…..

Germany is becoming like Nazi Germany but instead of targeting Jews, they are trying to put all of society’s ills on all Game developers and even gamers too…

There comes a time when you realize that the government is not going to listen to anything you guys try to say, and my advice is that you german gamers and game developers must go to another country like Austria or Switzerland where you could at least live in a bit of freedom.

And if you are lucky to learn a bit of English and French, then move to Canada and you game developers will be in heaven.

Erik says:

As an American I can say that we are pretty used to vast, sweeping, inaccurate generalisations about our country.  And frankly if we as some of us so often do, fall into one of these stereotypes we should be called out on it.

Some stupid yankee rednecks killed some dogs post 9/11 because of the dog’s breed.  The Afghan Hound.  Those are stupid yankee rednecks.

Heavily armed German soliders storming an unarmed civilian business is rather Nazi.

So don’t demand that a stereotype be used, rather rise above it.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

Afirejar says:

I expect people to not act like a singular event from four years ago (sorry, time flies, five years ago) was a common, everyday occurance in Germany. Because it kind of isn’t.

Then again, I also expected people not to post stupid shit about upcoming German prison camps, when they’re probably from the US, a country that runs one at this very moment, and I didn’t get that right either.

So please, by all means, continue. Me and my country aren’t the ones that are going to look stupid for it.

SticKboy says:

Schadenfreude? You really went there?

I despair…. Right, I’m outta here. Please do us all a favour and never leave your nation’s borders.

Spartan says:

Hmmmm…. Using real violence coupled with extreme intimation to stop virtual violence – Nice one from the German government. They must be using the W playbook of public policy.

—————————————————————————

"The most difficult pain a man can suffer is to have knowledge of much and power over little" – Herodotus

SticKboy says:

Perhaps without resorting to outdated and, quite frankly, offensive stereotypes. That’s not even the current topic, anyway.

How do you think our German cousins feel every time there’s a story on this topic, a bunch of geographically-challenged posters make vast, sweeping and inaccurate generalisations about their country?

Mechadon says:

Call me evil. But I hope this ban actually happens. I call it trial and error. Let Germany see what happens with this move. Let them see that it doesn’t affect whatever problems they think they are fixing.

Tammej says:

> All I gotta say is God bless America.

Especially the US. Come to us. We’re the land that’s trying to keep it secret that women have nipples, too. 😉 But nobody’s complaining.

VeteranFootman says:

First off, MrKlorox may not even be from the US.

Second, how do you expect people to react to Germany sending 100 lethally(and I mean really lethal) armed riot squad guys into a game dev’s office? As if it’s a common, everyday occurrance? Because it kind of isn’t.

SticKboy says:

You patronising, jingoistic fuck.

Same goes for the rest of you "yankee redneck" cunts all so eager to pull out the "Nazi" lable. Call yourselves free thinkers? You should be ashamed.

MrKlorox says:

It isn’t the violence that plagues Germany’s past, it’s the brainwashability of the residents. German citizens, stop acting like unthinking sheep.

Good on Crytek.

MasterAssassin says:

Only in Germany can you raid the office of a game developer with machine guns and not get sued, fired, or arrested. Funny how little has changed there in the past 70 years. Maybe next they’ll start rounding up game developers and putting them into "rehabilitation camps".

All I gotta say is God bless America

Zeke129 says:

Lots of violent films have come out of Germany, and they host the world’s largest heavy metal festival every year.

I hope they ban those two things as well, so they can see just how much their economy starts to suffer.

Maybe Wacken can start coming to Canada. You listening, guys?

Longjocks says:

Well, if they came here they’d still be limited to making at least M-rated games if they wanted to sell locally.

I’m not sure what a humble Australian resident like myself can do about this whole thing. It’s not like I’ve had any affect on our own foolish ratings system. I think my own little protest will come in the form of Germany not getting any of my tourist dollars if this ban goes through. So far I’ve only spent three days of my life in the beautiful city of Berlin and I’m determined to see more of the country and the people some time in the near future.

Well, maybe that’s a bad solution. The German government is adversely affecting its gamer’s lives and I don’t think it should also affect mine.

Ratros says:

Great, one day they’ll find out you have an emulator on your computer and then you get raided by a swat team.

Monte says:

oh ya… pirated software… ya, sounds like a reason to use a 100 man riot squad… i figured they would need for something like, y’know, a riot… or poeple that were armed in any such fashion

Tammej says:

I think the point he was trying to make is, that it were nice if people checked with an online dictionary, before typing gibberish that vaguely reads like something.

MaskedPixelante says:

Is it ironic that they’ve turned into nazis in an attempt to create a reality where nazis didn’t exist?

—You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

Papa Midnight says:

No kidding.

"…they were accompanied by over one hundred flak-jacketed riot police, all armed with Heckler and Koch sub-machine guns."

100 Police officers wearing flak jackets, sporting H&K manufactured MP5’s? That’s taking it over the top.

—-
    Papa Midnight

Wormdundee says:

Their claim was that Crytek was using pirated software. Which was obviously a straight-up lie so that they would have an excuse to rough up the Crytek employees a bit, put a bit of fear of the government in them.

LujanD says:

Nice going Germany, you’re a shining example to all!

Seriously, my country is still using its police for silly tasks, like raiding drug cartels, weapons smugglers, and all the rest of it, when they should be focusing on the source of all crime… pimple-faced teens and bored businessmen.

Zero Beat says:

Dude, don’t worry about Godwin’s Law.  When the police start acting like Nazis, call them out on it.  100 police with SMGs against unarmed civilians that haven’t done anything wrong is an action that screams "We’re Nazis."

"That’s not ironic. That’s justice."

Erik says:

"In 2004 the Bavarian authorities sent in the state troopers… When the small tech team appeared to inspect our computers, they were accompanied by over one hundred flak-jacketed riot police, all armed with Heckler and Koch sub-machine guns."

How the FUCK do you NOT Godwin that?  I’d like to try, but I fear I don’t have the fortitude to do so.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

TeamDiscoveryChannel says:

Yeah, were I in charge of things at Crytek, I wouldn’t play that crap.  I would have relocated immediately after the SWAT incident.

Saxy says:

You mean to say that they’ve stayed in Germany, despite the 04 incident? I hadn’t heard of the incedent before this, but still…

Germany, you are one lucky country, to pull crap like that and not have them relocate.

MartyB says:

Well they have extensive knowledge on weaponry and tatics… they have to be, they’re the ones making murder simulators.  Only exeprience ppl can make that kind of intense and realistic simulations, they should of been shot on sight.