Six Days in Fallujah Publisher: "We're Surrounded"

August 6, 2009 -

"We're surrounded... We have been badly wounded..."

Those were among comments released by Six Days in Fallujah developer Atomic Games as it announced layoffs today. The company is apparently in financial distress due to the game industry downturn as well as its inability to secure a publishing deal for the controversial Iraq War game.

Gamasutra has more from Atomic's press release:

In the words of Marine officer Chesty Puller, 'We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem...

We wish to assure the dozens of Marine veterans who have collectively invested hundreds of hours in this project that, while we have been badly wounded, we will fight on. The stories of your brothers' courage and sacrifice in Fallujah must be shared with the world.

So far, it is unknown how many of Atomic's 75 staffers were let go.

Comments

Re: Six Days in Fallujah Publisher: "We're Surrounded"

Rockstar should publish the game. They have never been the ones to avoid controversy and they have the money to back the project. It would be a good oportunity for Rockstar to publish the game and continue their role as the publishing company that is willing to push the gaming industry.

-----------------------------------------

Managing Editor at TheBestGameSiteEver.com

Re: Six Days in Fallujah Publisher: "We're Surrounded"

They could distribute that game online, couldn´t they? But the real question is: it is a good game, or just a generic FPS with a hot topic specifically make to piss off moralfags just for the lulz?

The cynical side of videogames (spanish only): http://thelostlevel.blogspot.com/ My DeviantArt Page (aka DeviantCensorship): http://www.darkknightstrikes.deviantart.com/

Re: Six Days in Fallujah Publisher: "We're Surrounded"

That is the question

Stupidity has made us laugh since forever

Never underestimate the power of idiots in large amounts.

Re: Six Days in Fallujah Publisher: "We're Surrounded"

IT is, and if it's never released we'll never know. This is one main reason games aren't taken seriously by so many people right now. No publisher is willing to step up and support a project that MIGHT make anyone angry, so the real gems that deal with real issues either end up never seeing the light of day or are delegated to the indie developers who while genius in their own way, just don't have the kind of financial backing to make a large scale game that really covers the issues they want to directly.

Re: Six Days in Fallujah Publisher: "We're Surrounded"

That Sucks. I do hope this game comes out.

Poll