Former LucasArts CEO Launches Bid for Seat in Congress

Jim Ward, who left the CEO job at video game publisher LucasArts in early 2008, is now hoping to win a seat in Congress.

Ward, a Republican who currently works as a venture capitalist, is running to represent Arizona’s 5th Congressional District. That seat is currently held by two-term Democrat Harry Mitchell. The district includes Scottsdale, Tempe and parts of Phoenix.

Ward outlines his philosophy on his campaign website:

I’m not a professional politician.  I’m a businessman.  And I don’t disagree that this country needs change.  But, in my experience, there’s the right kind of change and the wrong kind of change.  I believe what’s happening to this country represents the wrong kind of change…

Ward lists his political philosophy as conservative on Facebook. He has protested (see pic at left) against President Obama’s healthcare plan.

Partially via: Kotaku

230 comments

jedidethfreak says:

If universal health care is so great, how come nobody in the federal government has come forward saying that the people in the government will be on the same plan?  I mean, they have their own health care plan (and it’s awesome, by the way) but from what I’ve read of the bills, theirs is nothing like what is being proposed for the rest of us.  Any of you supporters of social health care got a logical answer to that one?

Freedom of speech means the freedom to say ANYTHING, so long as it is the truth. This does not exclude anything that might hurt someone’s feelings.

FlakAttack says:

I don’t understand many of the criticisms of the system because it’s ALREADY LIKE THAT. There are already death panels, doctors who are paid off to disapprove operations, and tons of exceptions made for "risky/experimental" treatments which are not covered, even if there is still a good chance.

Basically, the American system places a value on you. You are worth so much money, and after that you’re on your own. In civilized nations, we don’t put a price on people. People are the greatest resource a country can have.

Craig R. says:

"congratulations as appearing as a major idiot, your outburst only hurts your position instead of remaining calm."

He sounds exactly like one of those going to "debate" health care at the town hall meetings.

He’s right, you’re wrong, and he’ll yell at you until he’s blue in the face until you admit you’re wrong. Doesn’t make for much of a debate, does it?

Wormdundee says:

Man, as soon as I saw the accompanying picture I knew this thread was going to turn into a shitstorm. The fear some Americans have of universal health care is amazing.

Snipzor says:

I did a "ctrl+f" to find if anyone accused anyone else of racism or bigotry, and all I got was me stating a bill in the 1980’s was anti-racial discrimination, and findings of the word "racist" were only fron Baruch and Jed(whatever the rest of the name).

Like everything else poster said above, it is a false statement and I give him the "pants on fire" rating.

Cerabret100 says:

well i figured they’re lying because none of them have been giving me the one thing i’ve been asking for, proof and links to reliable sources.

and for future reference, telling someone to google something does not support your position.

Cerabret100 says:

i don’t see racist occuring in any of the above coments, he simply assumed the professor said he was an expert, i stated otherwise, and he accepted that fact as true in a civil manner, much better of a discussion then i’ve seen from others.

Philippe says:

It’s confusing to you because these people are either lying, or just plain stupid.

In Canada, for example, you can choose any doctor you want.  Period.

It’s not about the government ‘telling people’ what to do.  It’s about the government providing a service to its people.

Obviously, it’s not ‘free’ in the sense that we pay taxes for it.  But it’s a drop in the bucket compared to many other things that keep society running, and it’s a price I’m willing to pay for a country worth living in.

Citation please.

Also, the word ‘socialism’ has rather different connotations in America than the rest of the world, in part because of the Cold War.

Do you consider the police and fire departments to be socialist organizations?  What about your precious military?  Aren’t they, by your own definition, ‘socialist’?  What about child labour laws?  Or minimum wage?  After all, we can’t have the government getting in the way of business, right?

Cerabret100 says:

one thing that’s always confused me about people who yell we won’t be able to choose our doctors, aren’t we already forced to choose from a list of doctors approved by the health insurance companies?

jedidethfreak says:

Wrong.  The Mayo Clinic, arguably the best hospital in America, has been vehemently against Obamacare from day one.  That’s why, when the President cited the Mayo Clinic as a model for his health care plan, they said they didn’t want to be associated with it.

You’ve been trying to defend a poor bill so much that you just assume that anyone not wanting to be on board is racist.

ZippyDSMlee says:

Ya people tend to forget we already have a system where you only can chose if you have money if not you are screwed and at the whims of the HMO,insurance and credit company…..

Until lobbying is a hanging offense I choose anarchy! Stop supporting big media and furthering the criminalization of consumers!! http://zippydsmlee.wordpress.com/

Cerabret100 says:

I can see how it’s been easy. personally i’ve never really taken a position, my whole goal of discussion on this site has simply been keeping it all based in fact and make sure each side provides proper proof to their claims.

I’ve never made a claim, as far as i can tell, without citing proper sources, and i just want everyone to approach this with the same amount of proper research to weed out bias.

all doctors i’ve seen on CNN seem to be in favor of reform, just maybe not exactly what’s on the bill right now, which is fine the whole point of the democratic process is to find a compramise of ideas. yet some people just resort to bashing it without offering constructive ideas.

Snipzor says:

Good point, I’ve been talking about this so much I’ve been mixing up the players.

Even then, any… every argument against it has always been by some health insurance lobbyist and never a doctor (Or a reputable doctor).

Cerabret100 says:

In the professor’s defense, he stated clearly in the link this guy provided in another article that he was neither a physician or legal professional.

the professor was not selling himself as more than he was, clearly pointing out he was not an expert on the issue.

vellocet says:

I’m going to deviate from the health care debate and say that Jim Ward destroyed Lucasarts, he’s the person responsible for the horrible milking of the Star Wars brand and churning out derivative games over and over.  Check out the end of this video when he comes across as completely clueless http://g4tv.com/videos/11326/LucasArts-at-E3/

Now that he’s gone, Lucasarts is making a comeback and reviving a bunch of their old titles (and doing amazing sales too!) – which is exactly what he was resisting in that video.

Anyhow, I hate to get into the health care debate, but all I have to say is that if you don’t think the US system needs reform – Remember Nataline (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nataline_Sarkisyan)

17 year old girl dies at the hand of the VERY REAL DEATH PANELS of the private insurance companies.

Snipzor says:

You haven’t read the bill though, and it would help if you actually read it, or rather the dozens of pages that address the bloody 300th page, instead of listening to Chuck Norris and some div who claims to be an expert despite being in a completely different field.

Idiot.

Austin_Lewis says:

To all the people here repeating solely what talking heads have to say: Read the bill.  Even a democrat should be able to find things reprehensible in it by page 300.  If not, you might as well call yourself a socialist.

jedidethfreak says:

Accept you have no proof going one way or another about someone elses experiences, so you claiming it just didn’t happen, for no other reason than it goes against what you think, makes you a complete jackass.

jedidethfreak says:

If it’s so cheap, how come it’s gonna cost a trillion dollars and the CBO said we can’t pay for it?

Austin_Lewis says:

I can name a few, actually.

However, my favorite are as follows.

1.  Any change in policy coverage and the individual who owns the policy is switched to goverment ‘option’.

2. Any change in COST and the individual is switched to government ‘option’.

3. All businesses that don’t use goverment ‘option’ and don’t meet the government ‘standard’ (which its likely the government won’t even meet) are either forced to switch to government ‘option’ or to pay an 8% payroll tax, which makes it even harder for a company to be competitive.  In other words, they have to switch to the government option if the government says their insurance isn’t what the government thinks it should be.

Snipzor says:

Yeah, number one being being how it is much cheaper and number two how it is more reliable than private insurance. I bet you can’t name one thing of the "thousands of ways to FORCE someone to use the ‘option’".

Austin_Lewis says:

Drugs are incredibly expensive?  Really?  Unless they’re brand new, chances are VERY good that you can find a $4 alternative at Wal-mart.

Also, OPTION my ass.  That bill was written with thousands of ways to FORCE someone to use the ‘option’.

Austin_Lewis says:

Actually, I go to Boston quite often.  I love the bars, and I love the Sam Adams brew you can only get there.  I also enjoy seeing Sox games. And I can tell you, there’s not a lot of love for the health care in Boston to be found in Nuf Ced, the Bull and Finch, or the Cheers bar (not the bull and finch, the replica one).

Snipzor says:

Actually, when it comes to taking the word of someone who is directly correlated with it and someone who has no correlation with it in the first place, I’ll take the one that directly implies causation. Like any intelligent person would do.

jedidethfreak says:

It’s optional to take, not optional to pay for it.  Whether I take it or not, I have to pay for it.  Explain how it would be fair for me to go to the gym, take care of my body, get checkups every year (with my own insurance), but have to pay for all of the medical care for some lazy fatass with no job?  I do the work to take care of my self, so why should I have to pay for someone else unwilling to do the work to take care of themselves?

jedidethfreak says:

Typical Snipzor, a person may or may not have a point, and you just have to call them a liar when you don’t know dick about the person.

jedidethfreak says:

But you’re forgetting the fact that people have read the bills, and have pointed out some of the pifalls.  I agree that maybe these will be fixed, but if Obama had his way, and the votes were done before the break, he’d have signed it into law before any of those were released to the public.

Not to mention the fact that a lot of members of congress haven’t read them, either, and they’re the ones trying to sell us for or against it.  The only problem is, it seems to be more of the detractors have actually read the bill than the supporters.

Philippe says:

One of the things about human beings is that we complain about everything, no matter how good or bad something is.

So you might want to judge a system by its actual results.

Because ultimately, results are more important than your feelings.

Snipzor says:

"Really?  Because everytime I hear from people from Boston, wait… I don’t actually I don’t know anybody from Boston and the people who I claim to be from Boston aren’t from Boston at all but rather claim they are just so they can be on my side of the fence when it comes to arguing about it."

Fixed that for you.

HAHAHAHA

Really?  Because everytime I hear from people from Boston, I hear how terrible the health care is, how mediocre the services, and, especially from people in the government, how it drains money from the city.

Nitherean says:

Actually, I do have goverment run health care in my state.  And I’m in the USA.  Its run pretty well, because a group of people got together and put together healthcare with the patient in mind, not the insurance company or hospital in mind.  Yes, it is not fool proof.  Nor is it perfect system.  But it does cover all 98% of residents (the remaining 2% just pay the $2300 fine to avoid it).  It is set up to be preventive medicine (i.e. help pays for gym membership), not just reactive medicine (i.e. showing up at the ER for medical treatment).

In addition, this healthcare cover, that covers 98% of the state’s residents, costs only $88 million a year.  That’s pocket change when you realize, it is only 3/10ths of 1% of the state’s budget.  If you could make sure every member of your family was covered by medical insurance.  And your relatives, along with all your friends.  And it costed you, only 3/10ths of 1% of your annual salary…..would you do it?  Of course you would!

And that folks, is why the Commonwealth of Massachusetts’s health care model is of interest.  I havent had a problem with it.  When I have questions, I contact the group, and wait about 15-20 minutes (patience is a virtue lost on 100% of conservatives….).  The person on the other side has been helpful, kind, patient, and knowledgable.  This is purely an American healthcare model.

So, what I hear from conservatives and Republicans, is the fear.  That is all it is, for them.  Its the same for any topic on our nation’s list of troubles.  They seem perfectly content to allow 40-50 million of our fellow Americans to suffer due to no health coverage.

Its to bad conservatives shun wisdom in favor of fear.

Have you?

ZippyDSMlee says:

How the hell do you get all that with a public option? When the repurbs are claiming only 30% of americans are not covered? If Our system would break from covering the last 30% then prehaps it should break so somethign better will riase from its ashes.

Neo_DrKefka says:

Have fun with your Government run healthcare telling you’re doctor the treatment is to expensive or the drug is too expensive and that you shouldn’t take the red bill but the cheaper alternative.

Have fun with the rationing of care oh wait people do not want too see that
    jedidethfreak says:

Then have fun living in Iraq.

Snipzor says:

Organized religion tries to grab power, by banning religion (Besides the cult of individualism), you stop any attempts to have any influence that would attempt to take over. Haven’t you ever seen "There Will Be Blood"? Or do you really know nothing, and I’ve been right all along.

Austin_Lewis says:

He never forced anyone to do anything… except banning religion.  Surely, a libertarian wouldn’t ban the choice of religion.  Sounds more like a socialist/communist ideal.

Baruch_S says:

What animals live in communities that support the weaker members? With the species I can think of, the weaker members get bullied out of breeding chances and/or are eaten by predators when the rest of the herd outrun them. If you have an example, I’m actually very curious to know what species exhibit this behaviour.

TJLK says:

If an empire is the main perk of a "first-world nation" then I have no interest in it.  Leave me out of it, I don’t think that my money needs to go to policing the world or infringing upon the rights of other nations.  Have fun with that.

Erik says:

A socialist with a rabid hatred for health care?  Did you pay attention to the audio diaries at all?

"On the surface, the Parasite expects the doctor to heal them for free,
    	the farmer to feed them out of charity. How little they differ from the
    	pervert who prowls the streets, looking for a victim he can ravish for
    	his grotesque amusement."

I mean honestly that sounds like something that you would say.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

Snipzor says:

He exhuded the joys of free market and lavished in his own personal lifestyle with riches. He had a company, not a government, and his company was battling with Fontaine’s industry. Never once did he ever intervene in the poor sectors of Rapture. Which was why there was a huge fight between companies… Did you even play the game or pay attention to the story? He never forced anybody to do anything, although at first he attempted to maintain a free market "paradise" free from big government. Unfortunately he could not, and ended up with a massive conspiracy to have him killed.

And you thought he was a socialist because of the word ‘paradise’? My god you are thick. Unbelievably stupid! I can’t even fucking imagine how you can get the simplest of critique against Pure Capitalistic Randian theory wrong. I simply cannot believe that there are people that politically blind.

Wormdundee says:

It’s the American way of life. It’s all about one person, and fuck anybody else who for whatever reason can’t afford the things you can. Maybe it’s not ‘fair’, but living in a modern society is not about being ‘fair’.

Animals live in communities, supporting the weaker members, and we’re better than animals right?

Austin_Lewis says:

Andrew Ryan created ‘Paradise’ right?  The same person who was forcing people to undergo procedures so they would look up to his standards?  That’s not a capitalist ideal.

Snipzor says:

Which is why you have no understanding of socialism at all. Or political ideology. Andrew Ryan and Frank Fontaine are both hardcore right-wing libertarians.

Snipzor says:

No, you are selfish because you think of yourself and only yourself and pretend that the people who are not as fortunate as you don’t exist. Kind of like what Andrew Ryan did, again, we all know how that turned out. Selfish desires and beliefs trumped facts.

Oh yes, because all of those who do not work are fat and lazy, and not at all disabled/mentally handicaped/layed off/working class. Because you’ve got it good, that means nobody below you can share some sort of goodwill.

I also have a feeling you are one of the types to not give any money to charities, because you’re a real "fend for yourself" type of guy.

Baruch_S says:

Hell, I think we shouldn’t even have income tax. As Obama’s cabinet proved, the rich are perfectly capable of not paying it anyway. Instead, we should just have a higher sales tax. If you make more money, you likely spend more money (if you won’t spend it, you’re probably not living the high life anyway). When you spend more money, you put more money into the system. It’s simple, it cuts out the possibility of people dodging it, and it doesn’t screw people over when they try to make more money like the current bracketed income tax does.

Baruch_S says:

Here’s a thought: why shouldn’t he be able to use what he’s earned? After all, he did the work to earn it. Does he have any incentive to earn it if he knows he’s not going to be able to use it anyway? It’s great that you want everyone to have healthcare, but taking money away from the people who work for it gives them little reason to keep working for it.

jedidethfreak says:

No, I don’t make more than 250k a year.  However, that doesn’t mean that I find it acceptable to take the money from them to finance programs that will bankrupt our nation anyway.

I’ve always been a supporter for a flat tax of, say, 17%, and forcing the government to live within its means, with priority going to law enforcement, military spending and scientific pursuits.  Any extra money is held on to to finance any other projects.  Then, nobody would have to worry about stupid tax laws changing every year.

jedidethfreak says:

I’m selfish because I want to keep what I earn to support my family?  I’m selfish because I work for what I earn and believe I should be allowed to keep what’s mine?  Okay, if you say so.  Then how about we take all money from everyone, make them work 24 hours a day, and they have no possessions whatsoever?  I mean, according to you, if you could afford anything whatsoever, you’re selfish for not giving it to the government, right?  No matter how much somebody may donate to charity?

Philippe says:

"I realize this and I also oppose it.  I’d prefer not to pay for anyone elses healthcare with my taxes.  In other words I’d like to opt out of social security and also opt out of being taxed for medicare."

In other words, you want to live in a first-world nation with all the benefits, but you don’t want to support its infrastructure, or its people, and you dislike those who ‘feed’ off the system…

Right.

FlakAttack says:

This would be the fundamental difference between most western nations and America. In most countries, we all have our own lives, but we also contribute to the greater good. In America, community means nothing, and letting your neighbour die so you can get a bigger piece of the pie is part of the game.

As I’ve said before, it’s a terribly barbaric system and I hope Americans can mature to a point where they see that the greatest resource any country has is its people.

Im_Blue says:

"Why is it I’d have to pay for two medical insurance plans, but only have one?"

Maybe because your lucky enough to be able to afford both, so you shouldn’t be slefish and instead help others to have access to essential recources?

Just a thought.

Unruly says:

That’s exactly my point. A lot of people tend to not understand that no matter what, they’re already paying for other people’s healthcare whether they like it or not. Unless a hospital is 100% privately funded, which never happens for anything bigger than a clinic, they aren’t allowed to refuse treatment to anyone, regardless of whether that person can pay for it or not. And when they treat someone that can’t pay, they raise the cost for everyone that can in order to recoup their losses.

I’m personally not a fan of nationalized healthcare because I don’t want to pay for other people’s healthcare either, but since I’m already doing it and have no choice about it regardless, I would rather have a set rate that I end up paying over whatever X hospital decides to raise my costs by. Now, if I end up paying more in taxes AND the hospitals keep raising their rates like they do now, then something is seriously wrong, and worse than it is now, but I have a feeling that they’ll work something into the legislation about the rates. Perhaps something like the Japanese have where a government board sets the limit on how much a hospital can charge for different procedures.

jedidethfreak says:

Barrack Obama has already said that’s what he’s going to do.

ZippyDSMlee says:

The trouble is you are paying for it anyway and at the end of the day you will be paying more or less the same amount either to the goverment or the healthcare industry with or without a public option.

TJLK says:

Unruly says:

You do realize that you already pay for other people’s medical care, right? FICA, increasing hospital bills, and increasing insurance premiums are all things you’re already being forced to pay. FICA is the most obvious one since it’s specifically a tax with the name "Federal Insurance Contributions Act." If that doesn’t scream "you’re paying for geriatric grandma’s new knees" I don’t really know what does.

And then there’s the other two. The increasing cost of hospital visits, and increasing insurance premiums. The increasing premiums are because a lot of people tend to run the the ER every time they sneeze or cough, not to mention if its during a media-hyped "pandemic" like swine flu or the latest news report of someone getting diarreah from eating at taco bell. And the increasing cost of hospital visits is from how hospitals get stuck with the unpayable bills of every homeless drunk that cracks his head against the pavement when he passes out because they can’t refuse him treatment. I mean, do you really believe that it costs the hospital $3000 to check your blood pressure, temperature, and sew in 4 or 5 stitches? That whole process takes about 10 minutes and can practically be done with crap you buy at a supermarket for $15. Do you think the P.A. or intern that put your stitches in and the nurse that took your temperature really getting paid that much for 10 minutes of work?

ZippyDSMlee says:

That will be most likly ture but at the same time I can see the insurance indutry being forced to offer better options even to the point larger buisness will be able to get healthcare cheaper. It really comes down to how they manage it tax wise if they go after just anyone who might make 250K despite taxes,ect then its really doomed to fail.

jedidethfreak says:

And how often do you hear in the news about shortages of firemen, especially in the West Coast, where there are fires all the time?  Because most people won’t risk their lives and/or reputation on a crappy government salary.  Now, you’re suggesting that we make doctors do a dangerous, sometimes life-threatening job for a shit salary, while offering them absolutely no protections in the form of lawsuit protection whatsoever, and you think that people are just going to line up?  And you call me the idiot…

jedidethfreak says:

So, what, you want to take one system that has problems and destroy it, to replace it with a system that has more problems?

Craig R. says:

Here’s some ‘bullshit’ for you:

• Too many tests — $210 billion a year wasted
    • Inefficient claim processing — $210 billion
    • Using the ER as a clinic —  $14 billion
    • Medical errors — $17 billion
    • Discharged patients too soon — $25 billion
    • Infections from hospital stays — $3 billion

As I said, drop in the bucket. Now where’s your facts, genius?

vellocet says:

I don’t know where you’re getting that the stimulus is going to paying bills for local governments.  One of the stipulations in the stimulus bill is that it NOT be used to pay state debt.  That’s the big reason why Gov Sandford in South Carolina was going to refuse it (he eventually acquiesced).

Baruch_S says:

Tell that to the people who would foot the bill for this new program.

I’d also like to know where you get the idea that these people aren’t contributing anything. They’re not pulling the money out of thin air; they’re doing something to earn it. Doing something counts as contributing (unless working somehow doesn’t count in your book).

You’re also forgetting that these people who are supposedly hoarding money are probably investing it (which helps other businesses) or saving it (which allows the banks to give out loans). It’s not like they’re ferreting it away in mattresses where it never sees the light of day.

Honestly, I think you really need to just back off and cool down. You’re just swearing up a storm in a silly Internet debate. I’m really starting to wonder if you’re okay based on the way you’ve been posting here; I think you’re getting way too involved. If you’re going to keep posting, could you please calm down? Swearing at your opponent isn’t exactly a legitimate tactic, and you might want to think about how it makes you look when you do so.

Baruch_S says:

Again with the insulting. Could you possibly act in a mature, civil, non-condescending manner? I’m starting to wonder why I’m bothering to talk to you when all you’ve done is call me childish names. But you’re free to keep on insulting me regardless. It’s more of a reflection on your character and/or issues than mine, and I find the inaccurate assumptions of people I’ve never met more than a little amusing. Watching you overreact and swear up a storm every time I post hasn’t gotten old yet.

Anyway, I actually don’t give a rip about money. I’m a poor college student, not some rich businessman, and I probably won’t ever make more than 80k a year once I get out of school. I’d be perfectly happy living on a farm making just enough to get by if I thought I had the skills and opportunity to do so. You might consider figuring out my views instead of trying to peg me with whatever random negative garbage happens to run through your head while you’re posting; it would save me a lot of time trying to explain to you how exactly you read me wrong this time. Or you could just throw another random, way-off-the-mark generalization at me in your response like you’re probably going to… whatever floats your boat.

And this doesn’t happen? I’m not sure how delusional you think my view of the world is, but you must have some serious rose-tinted glasses if you fail to see the masses of greedy bastards lining up to do just this to make a few bucks. Why do you think we need consumer-protection agencies like the FDA? Why do you think all these Chinese products have had lead paint lately? Why do you think numerous companies set up factories overseas? Greed is big, and people will do most anything they can to make a few extra bucks.

Snipzor says:

"Welcome to my delusional fantasy"

Fixed that for you, because you have no fucking clue what reality is and never will because you view the world the way you want to see it. Nobody everyone in the world is a money obsessed shit like you, otherwise there would be chaos (And the whole free market thing would be the end of the world). If people take a job just because of money, common sense tells us that they’ll do whatever it takes to cut corners so they make their money with as little effort as possible.

Snipzor says:

You are so full of shit.

Nobody is talking about taking everyones money away, you are a goddamned liar if you actually want to fool your idiotic fucking friends into believing that horseshit.

It is simple circulation based economics, if a person doesn’t contribute anything but takes in themselves much of the circulated money, they are greedy and they are screwing over everyone else. If freedom is fucking over everyone else, then fuck that and fuck you.

Austin_Lewis says:

It’s simple enough.  If you don’t give away all the money you worked hard to earn, you’re a terrible person.  That’s his message.  Oooooh, greedy bad people.  Oooooh, terrible people we are, to be sure, expecting to keep some money for ourselves so we can, you know, put food on the table, give to charities, and buy the things we worked so hard for.

Baruch_S says:

Now I can’t even follow what you’re trying to say; I’m getting mixed messages from your post. Please be more specific and actually give a reason besides "it just is."

Austin_Lewis says:

1. Go to google.  Look up U6 unemployment.  Read.

2. Do you know what the NSA is there to do?  Seriously, all they do is monitor transmissions of all kinds.  Including what’s being written on forums.

3. I don’t know where you live, but I’m sure if you go down to your local jail, you’ll see they’re still running at about maximum occupancy (unless you live in some bumfuck nowhere town).

4. This one’s actually been on the news today.  It was on yahoo news earlier.  You know, the story about how some members of congress decided that it would be a better expenditure of pentagon budget money to buy 4 more Gulfstreams than to pay for a few more F22s that would guarantee we kick ass in our next war.  Or the fact that they keep trying to force the F35 JSF on armed services, which NOBODY FUCKING WANTS.  Or the fact that a lot of the ‘exotic projects’ happened to have to do with replacing parts of the M16 weapon system (like the actual mag, improved uppers, etc., etc.) which would have helped, you guessed it, the individual soldier.  I could go on, but I’m going out for a beer instead.

Craig R. says:

"You could start by finding a way to get people to stop sueing doctors for frivolous malpractice claims."

In terms of waste in the health care industry, malpractice claims are a drop in the bucket.

Erik says:

Hooray for capitalism!  Let the lazy leech off the hard workers by dangling a carrot in front of their nose.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

Erik says:

So the rich worked hard and the poor are lazy slobs right?  I had a grandfather who died working in a sweltering toilet factory.  Paris Hilton on the other hand very likely will NOT.

Also, please do tell me why I should have sympathy for the rich?  Tell me why if someone can only afford six yachts instead of one for every day of the week why should I give a fuck?  The assholes sipping bottles of $400 fucking wine while bitching about their taxes really infuriates me.

So come on, teach me to pity the wealthy.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

Snipzor says:

A person who makes a shitload of money and does not contribute to society at all is actually a giant douche. Not everyone who makes more than you likes to swim in their money, Baruch. A person who takes part in money hoarding is also taking part in douchebaggery.

Baruch_S says:

It’s easy to talk, I’d like to see you put it into practice.

And why exactly does using something you’ve worked to earn make you a douche? You’re the one that worked for it. Yes you probably should help your fellow humans, but they have no right to demand that you give up what is rightfully yours to help them.

Baruch_S says:

Say what? People pay taxes to fund law enforcement, fire departments, and the military. Explain to me how you don’t earn something when you’ve paid for it.

I’m also glad that you have a sense of humor, although I have no idea how you got from A to B there.

Philippe says:

You know, I was making a general statement.  But since you took that as some sort of challenge, would you care to back up your claims with evidence?

vellocet says:

That’s not true.  Decent people only need a certain amount to survive.  More than that they’re comfortable.  A LOT more than that and they’re really comfortable.  Any more than that and it’s just plain greed.

If I were making $250k a year, I’d be more than comfortable and will to sacrifice some of that to help my fellow citizens.  To horde all that while others suffer is called "being a douche".

Austin_Lewis says:

There are very few signs of recovery for our economy.  When couple with our U6 unemployment figure (16% plus), it doesn’t look very good.

And it was far longer than 8 years in the making, whether you acknowledge it or not.

And a lot of the stimulus is going to pay the bills for local governments.  Like most of California’s local governments.  Or Cleveland.

Philippe says:

"And you’re a greey little jerk who hates hardworking people and wants to give people stuff they haven’t done anything to earn."

Like roads, police, fire, and military service.  you didn’t ‘earn’ those either.

"People are greedy. Take away all their nice amenities and comforts and you’ll find yourself with a bunch of self-serving monkeys who will do anything to survive and stay ahead."

So, you’re arguing in favour of public healthcare.  Good, I’m glad we agree on something.

vellocet says:

That’s how you want to spin it, but all signs (except for today) that the economy is beginning to recover.  Housing markets have stabilized (which was the source for all the problems), it’s just a matter of time before things start shaping up.

This was a problem that was 8 years in the making (yes, I know you want to believe it was more) it’s not going to be fixed in just 8 months.

And the stimulus has only been 30% allocated.

Baruch_S says:

Don’t forget that we also have a large amount of diversity spread out across an extremely large geographic area. What is needed on the coasts is not going to be what’s needed in the midwest and vice-versa, and it’s impractical to expect a nation-wide program to be fairly effective in all areas.

Philippe says:

Do you want some cheese with your whine?

Hard work and sacrifice does not buy you sympathy when you actively campaign against the health and well-being of your fellow citizens.

vellocet says:

Well, it does seem that fear, anger and hatred are all they have.  Too bad that for a lot of people that’s all they need.  Facts?  Who needs them?  Compassion? Overrated.

Baruch_S says:

And you’re a greey little jerk who hates hardworking people and wants to give people stuff they haven’t done anything to earn. Hey look, I can put a biased, unfair, over-exagerated spin on things too!

People are greedy. Take away all their nice amenities and comforts and you’ll find yourself with a bunch of self-serving monkeys who will do anything to survive and stay ahead. Believing the everyone takes a high-paying job to help people and not because they want the money is idyllic and ignorant. Yes plenty of these people take the jobs to help, but plenty of others take them for the money. The world isn’t perfect.

Wormdundee says:

Amen to that. Firemen are not wealthy, yet they choose to do a very dangerous job because they wanted to. I want a doctor who’s reasons are to help people, not because he wants an assload of money.

Baruch_S says:

Do you think all doctors do their jobs solely because they absolutely love helping people? Yeah, and all those crappy teachers became teachers because they like kids and not because they get high pay and the summer off. *eyeroll*

Welcome to reality. People are greedy and can take jobs that pay well solely because they pay well.

Wormdundee says:

Thanks for continuing the American stereotype of being an arrogant crazed patriotic jackass. And you guys wonder why other countries have a low opinion of you.

You make a call for him to do research, and then immediately afterwards say that you don’t care how it is in other countries. Looking at how other countries’ health care systems work would be called FUCKING RESEARCH you moron. But really, ‘american way of life’, ‘don’t care how it is in your country or any other country’, ‘republic of capitalists’, ‘didnt rise to to the power it is now by doing things your way’, and of course ending with the disparaging remark towards Canadians at the end.

Could you get any more stereotypically American?

Baruch_S says:

Do you think you’re psychic? You have a great tendency to attribute negative views to me that I DO NOT HAVE since I’m now a racist and a believer in eugenics according to you. Way to stereotype your opposition in an attempt to discredit him.

Baruch_S says:

What? That really doesn’t make sense. Why wouldn’t a non-profit organization support a for-profit bill if they actually thought it was going to help people?

Austin_Lewis says:

Ah, Snipzor.  I can always count on you to have your head up your ass.

Fact of the matter is, we, as a country, seem to consitently prepare for the last war we fought.  Just because we’re fighting countries that don’t no how to maintain a fighter plane, does NOT mean that we won’t be in our next war, which is likely to be with one of the nations I mentioned.

Of course, you can live in some dream world utopia if you want.  God knows, it seems like you do.

By the way, I love how you couldn’t dispute a single thing I said in the post you replied to.  Hell, I even have something to add.

1) Bolton still has more credibility than most of Obama’s staff.

2) At last the last AG wasn’t letting felons go because they helped somebody get elected.

Austin_Lewis says:

I’m sorry you disagree.  But when the best military force a country has is made up of people NOT from that country, it’s a good chance that they suck in a fight.

Wormdundee says:

Are you fucking serious man? You have to be one of the most arrogant people I’ve ever seen. You just called an entire nation of people ‘mediocre’. And your little comment about soldiering plus your posting history shows that you came to this decision because their military isn’t up to your standards.

You are an example of the worst kind of stereotyping of Americans, that holds the military to be gods among men. You disgust me.

If it were anyone else I would think that this is a joke post.

Snipzor says:

"I am over fucking whelmed by your stupidity."

Agreed, you sir are absolutely fucking idiotic, America isn’t at war with any of those countries. In fact, it is the exact opposite. It is people like you that make me sick. It is almost as if you want war with other countries. Get the fuck out of here, your credibility was lost the exact same way John Bolton’s was.

Philippe says:

"Guess what, asshole I pay for 100% of my health insurance, and it doesn’t cost 40-60% of my income to do so."

I have public health insurance and it doesn’t cost me 40-60% of my income either.

Provide evidence for your claim, or go fuck yourself.

Cerabret100 says:

It’s not my job to research your points that’s yours. you can’t do it, it only hurts you.

tell any professor or other academic to google your facts for themselves and you’d get laughed out of the room, which strangely everyone i tell about our conversation ends up doing.

Austin_Lewis says:

Lying to them?  Like Obama’s administration basically from the start?  You know, the failed bailout, lying about the unemployment, lying about the economy, and, my favorite, lying about why they want to know WHO is spreading ‘misinformation’ about the health care bill (here’s a hint: no one needs to know WHO said something to correct or combat the statement).

Spying on them?  Like the government has done since the NSA was created?  Or like the Health Care Bill would have allowed, spying on how people raise their children?  Oh yeah, that’s a good one.

Imprisoning them?  Pretty sure your local prison is still in business, jackass.

Sending their children home in a box?  Here’s a hint, people are still dying in Afghanistan, and thanks to Obama and his pentagon pet, they won’t get much in the way of improved weaponry thanks to his cutting their budget so he could buy GM.  Oh, while we’re at it, let’s all thank Obama for making sure that we stop buying an aircraft that guarantees air superiority over people like, say, NORTH KOREA, IRAN, CHINA, AND RUSSIA.  Yeah, he really cares about the soldiers coming home in boxes.

I am over fucking whelmed by your stupidity.

Austin_Lewis says:

I’m sorry, maybe I wasn’t clear: I was talking about in the red from a yearly budget perspective.  We were already in the red, but nowhere near as far as we will be.

Austin_Lewis says:

They don’t fight much in the way of wars either, though at least they have a passable Army.

I love the accusation of xenophobia though.  Oh, and just because I don’t take time out from running my company to help you do research that you, if not retarded or lazy, could do for yourself, doesn’t mean I’m ‘pulling’ anything out of my ass.

Philippe says:

"Hmm…a very decent living vs. being truly wealthy….I’m choosing the latter."

So you’re a greedy little shitstain with delusions of grandeur.  That’s good to know.

"Take the money away, and you’re going to have a lot less doctors.  Now where’s the great health care we’re supposed to get going to come from?"

The same place your police, firemen, and military come from.

If your primary motivation for helping people is money, that says a lot about you and your society.

Snipzor says:

Wow, you had no bloody idea I was making fun of you.

Bill Clinton and Barney Frank don’t control everything. Also I resent you blaming everything on them when you bitch about how liberals shit on Bush, and by resent, I mean facepalm. The anti-racist legislation started in the 1970’s, early 1970’s and was enacted in the early 1980’s. So you are going to blame the "high risk loan encouragement" on a bill that stopped racial discrimination in the 1980’s which was still going on. Do I smell some stereotyping here? Of course I do.

Snipzor says:

The Mayo Clinic is a non-profit, they are condemning a profit based bill, put the two together you idiot. What next, stating Obama’s physician is against his plan because it is socialist (When in reality he is for single payer). Oh wait, your side already did.

Hospitals=/=Doctors. Not that a social conservative like you would know what anything means.

Baruch_S says:

Cause-and-effect tends to ruin most political ideas–liberal or otherwise. If more people could figure out the principle, we’d have more common sense and less need for all sorts of idiotic government intervention into every single part of life.

Cerabret100 says:

if that’s how you’re going to talk to people, i wouldn’t want to go near you with a 10 foot pole.

much less accept any of your facts without proper citation of your sources.

Philippe says:

So, you admit that you don’t care if there’s a better way.  You don’t even care about the suffering of your fellow Americans.  You only care about power.

Is that correct?

Baruch_S says:

And how would you react if you had worked very hard for something and then were told that you weren’t going to be able to keep it because someone else who hadn’t worked for it didn’t have it?

I also don’t see how his notions are off. Obama has said time and again that he is going to tax the wealthy to pay for this stuff. If he falls into that definition of wealthy, he’s going to see his taxes go up. Try talking to some small business owners sometime; they have it pretty rough with all the taxes they pay.

The US is not Canada, France, or Japan. Yes, the same thing might work, but it might not. You’re dealing with a huge number of socio-economic, cultural, and governmental factors that will make a difference in the effectiveness of a program between here and there. But this point is quickly becoming moot anyway since Obama is talking about cutting out the government healthcare option in order to ensure that his other healthcare reform gets passed.

Baruch_S says:

Yeah, people don’t seem to understand that many of the people who are supposedly rich have actually worked for it. We’re essentially discouraging people from working hard to make something of themselves by telling them that, if they succeed, we’re going to tax them to death because they obviously shouldn’t be able to enjoy the fruits of their labor. So much for the old American dream of being able to make a good life for yourself through hard work…

Have you considered expatriation? I’ve heard its a good way to protest if you can happen to find a country that more closely fits your views.

Cerabret100 says:

because A) he was just rude to french people in a cliched manner and B) he did not support his claim in any matter and for all we know just pulled that out of his ass, and seeing as far as i’m concerned his credibility is non-existant, i’m more willing to say he’s lying.

so in fact it’s very easy to logically combat his point.

furthermore, japan has a better health care system as well, i don’t think you can fault them the same way.

Cerabret100 says:

also i’m sure you notions of socialists are probably about as off as everyone elses, and as for their "agenda" unless you’re bringing proof stop with the conspiracy tone.

If this is so damn socialist and therefore so damn bad, how come so many other democratic nations like canada, france, and japan have this type of health care with so much more success as far as improved life expectancies.

Zerodash says:

IT ISN"’T "FORTUNE" OR "LUCK" YOU ASSHOLE.  I didn’t fucking wake up one day and have fortune hit me in the fucking face.  I started from the fucking BOTTOM and WORKED my way up.  What is so fucking hard about understanding that good things take EFFORT? That is why your life is probably a huge disappointment- because you cling to this childish belief that everything is left to chance and "fortune".

I guess you ultimately are going to be ahead anyway, because the utter hate and contempt you people have for people like me is paying off.

And also, I’m far from a fucking millionaire- the president and the Democrats keep changing the definition of what is "rich".  Every fucking day it seems like they lower the bar more and more.  Why the fuck should I be paying the same fucking taxes as a fucking millionaire when I don’t make that much?  Its because these socialists need more and more money for their agenda (government control of the economy and social engineering), so they need to keep moving that bar.  Pretty soon, everyone in the middle class will be making the same exact amount of money- regardless of how LAZY we are.  Horray.

jedidethfreak says:

Hmm…a very decent living vs. being truly wealthy….I’m choosing the latter.  Here in America, the primary reason for a lot of people to become doctors is money.  Take the money away, and you’re going to have a lot less doctors.  Now where’s the great health care we’re supposed to get going to come from?

jedidethfreak says:

You know that libs don’t understand cause-and-effect.

Zerodash says:

I still don’t understand people like you and your hatred of people who sacrifice and work hard to actually make something of themselves.

jedidethfreak says:

And where do the universities get the money for that research?  The big, evil health care companies.  As far as doctors hating the insurance industry, I haven’t heard of any good hospitals actually liking Obamacare either.  I seem to remember the Mayo Clinic basically telling Obama to stop using their hospital in reference to it.

Cerabret100 says:

You sounded a lot like Andrew Ryan there, I hope you remember what happened to him and the city of Rapture.

dude…i’ve so had that come to mind a few times, everyone bashes a socialistic idea, but fail to realize that in pure capitalism, they’d fry just as badly.

Zerodash says:

Yes, just like the filthy conservatives who will tell you that the government was providing "security" while defending the Patriot Act.

If you like having bureocrats running your life for you, then good for you- this new country that is being forged will give you plenty of time for hacky sack.

jedidethfreak says:

The reason why America can’t afford a government health care system is that our population is about ten times that of countries with arguably effective ones, while having much lower income tax rates.  That means more people to insure with less money to insure them.  In America, more people want lower taxes vs. government run health care, because the government can’t do what it’s supposed to do in the first place.  I don’t feel comfortable giving an organization that will give two of the largest auto manufacturers billions of dollars and STILL make them go thru bankruptcy, effectively wasting that money.

Zerodash says:

Listen, get a degree in economics (like me) and learn something. You might also want to learn about what Socialism is all about- and it’s planned economy ruled by the government.

Then, I challenge you to sleep on patio furniture cushions on other people’s floors, pull routine all-nighters at work, all to pursue a goal/dream that isn’t guaranteed to work.  Why don’t you try running a friggin company and understand the nature of where the hell money comes from and all the fees, taxes, etc that come with it?

Come back to me after you get some real experience in these matters before you talk down to me, child.

Erik says:

Unless that is you have a job, then most of those charities will turn their noses up at you.  So I assume that you think if someone needs healthcare that they should quit their job then correct?

But the point remains that it is foolish that you think that people such as myself, and other very non-wealthy people would be against a program that would benefit us.  Give me one good reason just WHY someone would be against something that helps them?  I mean I can understand why you would be against such a program, because you are obviously some rich, right-wing, stuck-up, yuppie.  So it is only logical that you would be against it.

Seeing as I can see the side of people whom this would not benefit, why can’t you see the other side of it?  For people without any sort of healthcare to support your side and deny themselves health care would be like "pulling the plug on grandma".

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

jedidethfreak says:

What, just mad because he’s got a point?  Specifically, a point you can’t argue in any logical way whatsoever?

Baruch_S says:

We do risk having a few good teachers lose their jobs, but I think that’s a small downside to actually putting the bad schools in the spotlight and forcing them to either change or go under. Right now, the schools can just sit back and say they need more government money without ever having to worry much about whether they’re serving their students.

I believe the government (maybe it was just a few states…) has tried something like your test idea in the past. If I remember correctly, they found out that teachers were finding ways to help their students cheat in order to get more money. You’d have  to make sure that the teacher didn’t have a way of doing that.

I actually live in a pretty decent school district, too. Of course, one of the reasons it’s so great might be that it lets kids retake tests multiple times and tries to get the worst students sent off to neighboring districts… Anyway, one of the big reasons the private schools in my hometown work is that the teachers get crappy pay. It’s not fair to them, fo course, but the only teachers who will take that pay over the wages that the public school offers are the ones who are really dedicated. We routinely have better numbers of kids who can read at their grade level, and my class’s average ACT score was in the mid-20s. We weren’t even a rich person school; we had plenty of kids whose fathers farmed or worked in the factories in the area. Just having that teacher dedication pushed our scores way higher than the public school despite them having much nicer facilities and better-paid teachers.

Philippe says:

So, you’re saying that people enjoy it when their government (by the people, for the people) provides for the people, instead of lying to them, spying on them, imprisoning them, and sending their children home in a box?

I am over-fucking-whelmed.

Film at 11.

Baruch_S says:

The US federal government isn’t exactly know for creating effective programs. All of our money went to a stimulus package we didn’t read, and a good chunk of it has been poured into oft-abused Wellfare and Food Stamp programs for years now. We’re too damn big to make things work very effectively on a country-wide scale.

Baruch_S says:

Didn’t I just say that I thought we should reform the existing system? What do you think that meant? I just don’t want a large, continuous government program in place and would prefer to see an actual fix for the problem.

Fire departments are not healthcare, and I still think they should be state-operated. We should actually have states running their own programs on the scales they need and have them competing with each other to provide good services to their people without raising taxes too much instead of having the federal government throw a one-size-fits-all solution out that ends up costing tons of money and being mediocre since it has to try to deal with everything.

Of course, you’re probably just going to disagree with me again. I believe in small federal government, you obviously don’t. We could probably just stop this discussiong because neither one of us is going to listen to the other since the other’s starting premise is wrong.

Philippe says:

"It’s as crazy as the idea that everyone should get an education. The rich can send their kids to schools which have high fees, so why should they have to pay their taxes which help pay for education for everyone, when they’re not getting anything out of the taxes that they pay?"

Because society is a coopertive endeavor.

Snipzor says:

Actually universities pay for a good chunk of research, health insurance groups don’t do shit, but rather have their own research to benefit their own means (Profits, research is essentially one big ad for them). But you’ve never realized that there is rationed care right now, and the insurance industry is providing it. Not that you would ever say that, because that would prove your argument false.

But hey, if it destroys the insurance industry, good. The majority of the country hated those bastards anyways. Do you know how much paperwork doctors have to do to actually get any work done? You have no idea.

A couple of reasons.

1) Because it would destroy an industry that pays for most health research, as well as an industry that helps provide to people who do work for a living.

2) Because our government, ESPECIALLY under Obama, hasn’t achieved much on a budget yet.

3) Because if they were to do it through the means they’re suggesting, it would do all of the following: Destroy competition, lead to rationed care, destroy about 1/5 of the tax flow, and, my favorite, invade American’s privacy and rights to choose.

Step 1: Go online.

Step 2: look for charities in the area, organizations in the area, etc, that will help pay part of a treatment or procedure.

In nearly every state, there is an organization dedicated to helping fund nearly all procedures, helping find doctors to perform them, etc.  Sometimes it’s a strange government program, sometimes it is charitable non-profit.  If it’s cancer, call livestrong and ask if they can hook you up with some help.

There’s a woman I met the other day who lost her job.  She has two lists with her; where she can get free care, and where she can get free food for her and her children.  Rather than languish at home (which, for her, is a van), do you know what she spends the rest of the time doing?  Looking for a job, odd jobs, anything to bring in some money.

Austin_Lewis says:

Okay, let’s get something clear here: The way what country has the ‘best’ healthcare system is calculated is done so in a very bullshit manner.  For example, they include in the information things like how many soldiers have died in combat.  Well, France, being a nation of mediocre people with below average skill at soldiering, places nearly dead last in that list.  Already, the equation is skewed in their favor.

No shit.

I especially enjoy your statement about how everyone distrusts the government when it comes to war and security, but they seem to enjoy when the government tells them what they can do health care wise.

Monte says:

Unfortunately, that comes with the danger of punishing students and actual good teachers… If the school fails overall, then EVERYONE who is part of the school would loose the benefit of the funding; this would include the few teachers part of said school that do apply themselves to do all they can to teach, and the students that work hard to be better educated than their peers…

Though i do think some new incentive is needed to help fix the problem of neglectful teachers in public schools… perhaps giving each individual teacher a low default wage and a additional income based on how their students do on a set of tests at the end of the school year; test ofcourse would be run/graded by the state and not the teachers themselves (kinda like the SAT’s or Regents exams). Unless the teachers enjoy low pay, they will work their asses off to teach those kids so that they can get a nice payday at the end of the school year… this way the only teachers that are punished are those that are not teaching as well as they could.

not sure myself… i have the fortune to have a pretty good public school district, that had relatively few teacher/student problems… though i do think i recall hearing that the teachers at my old school district tended to be paid better than teachers in other parts of the country… that might have helped give our teachers incentive to do well and keep their jobs as they might think that they would not get similar pay at other schools, especially if they look outside the county

Im_Blue says:

Again. You’re the richest country in the world why would a public healthcare system bankrupt you? My country can afford one and its really nice knowing that a student like my self with little income will get looked after if anything bad happens.

Im_Blue says:

I know this is probably a gross simplification but if Australia, where I live, can afford a pretty good public health care system why can’t the U.S.A. I mean your the biggest economy in the world it can’t be that hard right? I mean where the fuck has all the money gone?

Im_Blue says:

"This guy’s gonna be taxed up the ass for no other reason than he has money."

ummmmm well the point is he has money and other people don’t. So why not take some of his money and share it around with the less fortunate person? That way people who aren’t fortunate enough to afford decent healthcare can get access to it? Whats wrong with that?

Snipzor says:

You do not support eugenics yet you have never denounced the greed shown by health insurance groups by denial and rise of premiums which will be shown to have proportionally risen against income. In fact you’ve never given any specifics as to what shouls be done, despite pretending you did.

Also the federal government "didn’t have the right or power to create such a system" when fire departments was part of the free market (Which caused mass fires because some div didn’t have insurance, how dare he not have money for something that should be provided). Don’t make that excuse, it is quite the terrible one.

Snipzor says:

Only to those deserving, unfortunately any political discussion on GamePolitics is generally a childish fight between some twat who believes he knows everything and some prick who actually knows a ton more than the twat but denies knowing much about it in the first place, and I do not deny being a prick.

But can I ask you a simple question? Yes. May I ask you a question? Have you made a single post that contained a single piece of factual information? Because I’ve seen none, and I’ve got Politifact/Fackcheck always available in a seperate window (Because that’s how I roll *smugitude*).

Baruch_S says:

For one, the US is not France. What works there does not necessarily work here.

Two, I do not, in fact support eugenics. I also do not support  any sort of big government. The government has too good of a record of screwing up most of the things they touch. Healthcare reform should actually be about reforming a private, non-government-supported system. Making a government program is just going to create another money-sucking, ineffective fiasco like every other program they run.

Third, the federal government does not have the right or the power to create such a system. If people want this, it should be a state issue. States are smaller and can more easily tailor to the needs of their people. The federal government–aside from not really having the right to do this under the Constitution–is too big to effectively deal with all the issues that will likely pop up.

Snipzor says:

Like the not-czar brother of Rahm Emmanuel who wrote a bioethical paper that addressed multiple positions in the morality of healthcare choices. Politifact fucked you on that, you must still be mightly butthurt regardless though.

jedidethfreak says:

Yeah, and forcing doctors to take paycuts under a nationalized system is going to make everything better, right?

jedidethfreak says:

No, by "encouraged," he means "forced them to under penalty of laws against racism," because that’s what Barney Frank and Bill Clinton threatened them with.

jedidethfreak says:

It’s obama’s czars that support eugenics, not Baruch.

Snipzor says:

And by "encouraged", you mean "just let them". The whole "encouraged" bull comes from a government action that attempted to stop racial discrimination in financial discussions with banks, which was about 30-40 years ago.

But of course, those facts are pesky things in your eyes.

hellfire7885 says:

Heh, as an American. I accept this fact. The "United" States is not the best country in the world.

And until healthcare recieves the overhaul it desperately needs, I think American doctors can just ignore that hipocratic oath, since it means dick to most of them. This is the one country I know of where if a patient is unable to pay their medical bills, the hospital can sue the patient

Snipzor says:

Yeah, fuck the dying. You sound like you support eugenics there Baruch.

Forget how France has the greatest healthcare in the world (Despite actual additional options added on including government payed) when they don’t have the luxurious ability to be fucked over by the bureaucracy of the health insurance industry.

Baruch_S says:

And that happened in part because our brilliant Congress encouraged banks to give out the high-risk loans that put them under in the first place. What this country needs is less government intervention and more common sense. Of course, that’s never going to happen.

Baruch_S says:

He’s black and a Democrat. Since he’s black, you can’t disagree with him without being racist, and since he’s a democrat, he obviously can’t be wrong.

Baruch_S says:

Maybe we should implement a voucher program so public schools actually have competition and are forced to provide decent educations to get their money. It would fix a whole lot of problems and woudl be fair to those people who already pay for private schooling and are also forced to pay for public school, too.

Baruch_S says:

Hooray for socialism! Let’s enable the lazy to leech off the hard workers even more! Businesses will definitely come to this country if they know they’ll be taxed to death to pay for other people’s problems.

If you want to fix the problems, fix the healthcare system instead of trying to stick a government bandage over it. You could start by finding a way to get people to stop sueing doctors for frivolous malpractice claims.

Sai says:

Yeah man, we should just abolish public schools and volunteer fire fighters, people who send their kids to private school and whose houses DON’T burn down don’t get anything out of it.

Snipzor says:

So I suppose the government should do absolutely nothing as healthcare premiums go up like crazy and people die because they have no insurance or because they were denied. But hey, none of that matters because you don’t want to pay more taxes and the free market dictates that profit is more important than people, right?

This is yet another reason why people suggest right-wing libertarians are a bunch of inhumane shits. Because their argument might as well be "Fuck the sick dying and poor". Thank god your type of social conservatism (And might as well say it, eugenics) is the minority here.

hellfire7885 says:

With how it is now, go without, and if he went to see a doctor fairly soon before beignunemployed and cannot pay the hospital bill, the hospital will likely sue them for the money

ShadowPredator says:

He’s entitled to his view of the current situation just as you are, this whole healthcare debate has sucked in people from all over the world, because other countries healthcare systems have been used as examples. I can not turn the radio on, without hearing some American saying that the NHS is an Evil Socialist idea (God forbid we make sure every one gets help when they need it. It may not be perfect but nothing is).

So before you start telling people to keep their noses out, just remember we where invited when this debate pulled other countries into the mix, and it never hurts to have the opinion of the person looking in.

If I had to pay for even half of the health care that any one member of my family needs or needed, I would be bankrupt. Now I don’t how it works in America, so here is a possible situation to give me an idea:

“Someone with a heart condition who can not afford the insurance and can not afford the medication because the condition prevents them from working” would they get the medication free or subsidized with no hassle, or would they have to go without?

Erik says:

I have a cousin who has roughly 2-3 months to live.  So in a cliche fashion, as happens alot with people with no way to pay their medical bills, they held a spaghetti dinner fund raiser.  It was sort of a moot gesture though, really there is no way they were going to raise a fraction of what they needed.  But hey, maybe they will raise enough to pay for part of her funeral.  THAT is what is wrong with the way things are now.

So the next time you try to say that everyone is insured pay attention to the fund raisers mentioned in the newspaper, or those metal pails with peoples’ picture on them by the register at gas stations.  You can try to say that uninsured people don’t exist?  What a foolish statement.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

Afirejar says:

What’s wrong with the current situation is, that your description of it is just not true. Frankly, given the amount of reporting on that topic, I’ll even go so far as to call your comment a deliberate lie.

FlakAttack says:

Our nation didnt rise to the power it is now by doing things your way.

Your nation did go broke, has record amounts of people losing their homes, and everyone lives in incredible debt because of YOUR way of doing things. Stock market crash? Your fault too. Thanks America, and thanks Capitalism, for fucking the whole planet with your greed once again.

FlakAttack says:

Thank the gods Philippe, someone with sense.

The fact that you Americans would let people die or lose everything just to get care is barbaric. Oh no, government crown corps competing with big business, the world is fucking ending.

Get over yourselves, America is not top dog on the planet anymore, and if you want to catch up, you’re going to have to become civilized.

ded2me says:

Keep your canadian opinions out of an american way of life you know nothing about.  The facts are there.  Start doing some research before you start invoking hateful comments to people.  I don’t are how it is in your country or any other country.  We are a republic of capitalists.  Our nation didnt rise to the power it is now by doing things your way. So, you sir, can stick that hammer up your ass.  Have a nice day "ehy".

ded2me says:

The supposed un insured american doesnt exist as it is, people too poor for healthcare still get it thru medicare/medicaid (or some other way).  What is wrong with the way it is now?  Reform that.

State says:

hayabusa75 says:

Here, here!  Most Dems on Capitol Hill are all about the handout, they don’t care where the money for said handout comes from, and I’m sick of it.

"De minimus non curat lex"

jedidethfreak says:

Exactly.  The big problem here is the person you’re replying to listens to other talking heads that assume the only reason people could have a problem with a program that will bankrupt this nation is the guy who’s pushing it happens to be black.

jedidethfreak says:

If it was only financed by the people who were under the government policy, I’d have no problem with it.  However, EVERYONE that pays taxes will have to pay for a system that our own government says can’t be paid for, to insure only one-third of the uninsured in this country.  Your straw hat = fail.

jedidethfreak says:

To pay for President Obama’s health care policies, his bailouts and his green industry, this guy’s gonna be taxed up the ass for no other reason than he has money.  If you don’t understand that this is what is meant when Dems tax the rich, then you have no business discussing US politics.

gamadaya says:

Raped away?

——————————————————–

Believe in something! Even if it’s wrong, believe in it!

GET OFF MY PHONE!

-Glenn Beck

Philippe says:

I’d just like to add this little gem of enlightment, regarding the sign in the picture, and toward Zerodash.

I have a doctor of MY choosing.  And I have universal health care.

I live in Canada.

I also have a small business.

If we had to pay for the treatment that my brother got for his cancer, we’d be bankrupt.

If we had to pay for the MRIs and hospital care for my mom, we’d be bankrupt.

If one of my friends had to pay for the unexpected health problems she had, she’d be bankrupt.

Consider that health costs are the number one cause of personal bankruptcy in the United States.

Consider how that affects small business.  And quality of life.  And friendships.  And careers.

Consider that most of the people rallying against government health care are senior citizens who have government health care.

This is what causes my brain to bleed from my ears.

I will also go out on a limb and assume that either you’ve never been afflicted with serious unexpected health problems, or that you’re rich enough that a 20,000 dollar procedure is no big deal.  The best care money can buy, right?

You can buy that here too, and in many other ‘socialist’ countries.

So please take your vitriolic, mouthbreathing, infantile bullshit and go fuck yourself up the ass with a claw hammer.

ZippyDSMlee says:

I don’t really think its as much as the ehalthcare stuff as taxaion if they get the brunt of it and it costs almsot as much as they make to stay even and put alil away for retirement what you save from lower healthcare costs is not going to offset what is lost through paying higher taxes.

At least thats how I see it ocne you boil it down.

If anyone thinks a single payer option where you only may buy insurance through the government approved monopoly is fesiable they are listening to too much talk radio… that and the whole kill grandma scare that was injected into the bill by a repurb ontop of which even miss impalin supported end of life conversations with doctors …before she was against it…my lord…. this is what happens when you let the rulering class be so separated from general sosicty…

Neeneko says:

The thing that frustrates me is that the people generating the fake outrage really do not care one way or the other about the actual topic.  It is like the old pot propeganda… the people pushing it didn’t believe it and do not care, but they DO see a way to advance their own careers.  That is what we are seeing here… people gaining power by scaring people into following them. And that is what I see this guy doing…. picking a hot topic and using it to gain office.  I doubt he believes what he is saying.

Neeneko says:

In other words, you listened to a talking head on TV and don’t actually know much about health care.

Having a government plan is not going to take away anyone’s freedom.  The only reason this much energy is being dumped into the debate is a black democrat is pushing it forward.

Ok, so for small buisness.

Having minimal options, primarly between HMOs that can have double digit increases per year and still barely cover your employies, is bad for buisness.  Small companies often forgo health care completely (which risks being able to keep employies) or expend huge resources keeping shitty plans.

Meanwhile they have to compete with companies right across the boarder (or europe) that can offer their employies unlimited healthcare with a smaller percentage of thier paycheck cut.

Hmmm.. crappy HMO and high payrole deduction, good healthcare and low payrole deduction. Which is better for buisness again?

And even if one does want to go with HMOs (which, unlike the government plan, DO have death panels that decide if they will cover your costs or not, and will not even insure you for existing conditions), the option will still be there.  It is called captilalism, and the US health care system has been without it for too long.  The HMOs could use some real competition for once.

Keep in mind, just because something is private does not mean it is a free market.  In fact, as free markets mature they start functioning more and more like communist states.  Power concentrates, choice goes down, and the companies essentially become mini governments.

Snipzor says:

Option, healthcare option, government healthcare OPTION.

Sorry to say, but you are being unjustifiably paranoid here. The fact is that people still have to pay for this option (in fact pay a hell lot less), and there would still be competition, so it isn’t socialist and in reality is a corporatist actions (Which is the opposite of socialist). How does it not help small business, and how does it take away your economic freedom? I don’t know about you, but I’m sure the majority of businesses would rather chose an option that is cheaper and economically proven to be more effective than the insurance industry.

Sorry to tell you this, but you’ve been eating up this fake outrage that has been dished out by the people who made America the 37th in healthcare instead of the 1st. Have you even read the draft legislation? Or are you just going to make an excuse that it is 1000 pages long like everyone else did when they didn’t read it (Like the republican leader did)?

Shahab says:

"Everything I worked for for the past 5-6 years is about to be undone because I had the audacity to work hard and make personal sacrifices."

Ok, if you want me to take this statement seriously you need to tell me how and why. Just making a statement like that means NOTHING unless you back it up.

TJLK says:

If you had the ability to digest any of my words you’d understand with complete certainty that I want less taxes.  Meaning the government takes less of your money.  Meaning less taxes.  Meaning when you get paid you get more money.  Meaning you keep more of what you earn.  Meaning you don’t get taxed for simply living and having a job.  Do I need to continue?  Reallly?  Are you serious?  Meaning the government doesn’t have their hands in your pocket.  Meaning the government has less money to waste on illegal wars and unconstitutional programs.  Meaning congress has no power to use authorities not granted in article 1 section 8 of the constitution of the United States of America.

Philippe says:

TJLK will probably say that a government powerful enough to provide something is powerful enough to take it away.

Well, they don’t provide anything NOW, so they’re not going to take anything away.  😉

Erik says:

What freedom?  Oh yeah!  The freedom to drag your cancer ridden body into a ditch.  Thank you American Government!  Do you want more of my taxes and give me fucking nothing in return?  Sure!

Asking for healthcare isn’t sacrificing freedom, it’s receiving it.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

ZippyDSMlee says:

Well rice and fish is not a staple food in the US, the US needs the otaku diet we have all kinds of neat dust catchers but a bare fridge 😛

I agree America is great but greatest is much more a option…

Cerabret100 says:

Then lets get on their damn diet.

regardless of the reason, there’s room for improvement be it in health care or average diet choices

thinking america is great is…well great.

thinking america is the best is arrogent, something has to change and shouting at each other doesn’t help.

State says:

Actually Lego Star Wars was one of Lucasarts’ biggest mistakes. They didn’t back the first one, they kept themselves well away, they didn’t even publish and it turned out to be one of the biggest SW hits of recent times as well as being critically acclaimed (something Force Unleashed didn’t manage). Lucasarts basically had nothing to do with the creation of the Lego franchise.

If anything the fact that the Lego franchise was missed was a big mistake by Lucasarts and could be a reflection on Mr. Ward and his decision making.

ZippyDSMlee says:

Well all in all KOTOR is a bioware game not a LS game, same for forced unleashed they backed the game but did not really develop it, unlike the older games where they had a real hand in development.

T5 says:

I think you minsunderstood my posistion.  All I am saying is that LucasArts is a real player in the industry with games like Force selling very well, having legit fun games like the LEGO spin-offs and truly amazing games the likes of KOTOR.

T5 says:

The point is these games we are talking about are not only good star wars games, they are some of the better videogames of recent memory.  To judge something based on its cult following or lack there of is a specious argument in this case given the lack of historical distance.  Also make no mistake Force Unleashed was not a great game just pointing out that it was the best selling SW game of all time.

ZippyDSMlee says:

Ya BAttle front and Jedi knight are nice but they have not had a cult following like the adventure games of old, KOTOR has a good follwing dunno so much about RS2, The Force Unleashed is a joke.

State says:

Only a few SW in the past decade have been of exceptional quality, KOTOR 1&2 and Rogue Squadron 2, pretty much all of the other games have been of poor to average quality. The Force Unleashed had massive amounts of publicity but the game itself was of average quality as well as little play time (with highly priced downloadable content).

Pinworm says:

I still laugh (out of sadness and shame) when I hear stories about americans screaming at the ambulence to drop them off because they can’t afford it.

That’s some fucked up shit, America. Best country my ass.

ZippyDSMlee says:

Thats because the Japaneses diet is less calorie and sodium rich thus you get more healthy people per capita vrs most western countries.

But it comes down to stay the corse and pay more or take care of more people and pay more taxes but pay less in healthcare.

Cerabret100 says:

To all the people claiming that this will cause even more cost and stuff, may i offer this:

Japanese government helps provide health care and has a higher life expectancey as well as much less cost…as does the many countries also in front of us with higher life expectancies.

whether or not the reform is exactly like their kind (maybe it should be?) it’s obvious we’re already paying way out the ass for health care.

Nitherean says:

Ir order to become a CEO of a large compnay, one has to be a political business person.  Which means, right from the begining he is trying to fool people in to believing one thing, when the opposite is true.  Such a tactic will work, since 97% of republicans seem to fall for the tactic so often, its beyond simple amusement.  All he has to do, is play the ‘fear’ card, and all those little republicans will come running to him.

But then again, he just have to have people in that state believe illegal aliens are taking over, mexicans are storming across the border, and that democrats of the state will take their guns away.  On top of that, try to tell them their health care will be like (insert european country republicans hate at the time).  Its the same old crap, and those people in that state eat it up, as if the dish has never been served.

T5 says:

Battlefront 1&2, KOTOR, Jedi academy to a lesser extent?  These games mean nothing to you?  Not to mention that Force Unleashed was the best selling Star Wars game of all time (before that it was Battlefront).  Mercenaries was a fun game as well.  You can call it “milking” if you want but the fact of the matter is Lucas Arts did very well under Ward’s watch.   Also it was not Ward who made the new Prequels (the videogame version sucked but other than Golden Eye most movie tie-ins do).  If you want to disagree with his politics do it, but his record as a business man in this industry is pretty solid.

paketep says:

With Jim Ward LucasArts went from being a company bleeding quality to a totally unoriginal company releasing pityful games milking the SW franchise once and again. Yeah, there was the odd good game, but it had nothing to do with the LucasArts of the 90’s.

Good luck to Arizona 5th if he ever gets elected. Oh, and I’ll pay for his doctor myself if he promises never to get back to videogames.

jedidethfreak says:

Except the fact that people who already HAVE insurance still have to pay for the government plan through the higher taxes they’ll have to pay.  Why is it I’d have to pay for two medical insurance plans, but only have one?

ZippyDSMlee says:

I was not going to bring it up but since the whole healthcare option thing was injected…. its a option people its a low to mediocre quality thing that forces the industry to do MORE for their consumers or lose them.

Frankly a public option and forcing the insurance companies to be all non profit (which dose not seem to eman much anymore) would a a great leveling mechanism to absurd unchecked capitalism happening in the industry.

Now with that said I think Obamas admin is going after the wrong people unless they are really targeting people that make 250K plus AFTER taxes and such, cost of living can make that 250K 100K easily, they need to target 400K plus since todays money is weaker than ever 250K a year is on the upper middle end of the middle class…. unless you live below your means…. then you have more money than someone making twice as much…

Zerodash says:

Props to him for trying to do something about it.

I helped build two small businesses from nothing, and still run them.  The punishment that this administration is prepping for business (and those who sacrificed and went without nice things while building them) is harsh.  I’ve been literally losing sleep the last few months over this.  The methodology that this socialist utopia is being created is not helpful to businesses- which for now form the backbone of the economy. Maybe after he nationalizes the rest of the economy things will be different.  Of course even more of our economic freedom will be raped away from us.

Everything I worked for for the past 5-6 years is about to be undone because I had the audacity to work hard and make personal sacrifices.  And don’t flame me for it- I helped create every job that these companies offer.  I haven’t had a good nights sleep in a long time.

I don’t understand how so many people can rightfully distrust the government when it came to the war and security (like how the Patriot Act continues to shit on our freedoms), and yet the same people gleefully want the government telling them if its OK to see a doctor, how much $$ they can make, what careers they can hold, etc.

Neeneko says:

I don’t know here.

Any time I hear buisnessmen harping against the heath care plan I take it with a serious grain of salt.

Pre-Obama, the (non healthcare) buisness community that was pushing the hardest for some kind of universal heath care.

ded2me says:

If his politics in action are anything like the current direction of lucas arts, then I don’t know if that is such a good idea.  I havnt found much of anything Lucas arts has put out lately that has impressed me.  I didnt look it up, when was this guy start as CEO for LA?