Report: Xbox 360 Failure Rate Pegged at 54%

When more than half of what you’re manufacturing fails, that’s not a good way to win friends and influence customers.

But that appears to be the case with Microsoft’s Xbox 360. A survey of 5,000 Game Informer readers indicates that the Xbox 360 dies at a 54.2% rate, compared to 10.6% for the PlayStation 3 and 6.8% for the Wii.

Game Informer also rated MS poorly on customer service, with turnarounds on repairs taking several weeks longer than for Sony and Nintendo.

GP: While those numbers may seem shocking, I actually find them surprisingly low. I’ve had three Xbox 360s go on me; two were Red Rings failures and the third was the very common disc-read failure. So, my failure rate is… 100%.

Via: The Consumerist

jedidethfreak says:

Considering the price of the PS3, it better be a rock-solid, reliable piece of hardware, but I’ve heard of a lot of HD game reading issues.  As for the Wii, I’ve had mine since day 1, and it’s been on constantly, with only a game freeze issue about once a month.  I don’t know about any of the other problems anyone else has, but a friend of mine bought one, and when he took it out of the box, it had a giant hole right thru it.  It turned on and went to the menu, but wouldn’t read anything.  Funny as hell.

Freedom of speech means the freedom to say ANYTHING, so long as it is the truth. This does not exclude anything that might hurt someone’s feelings.

Kojiro says:

Not true, or at least not any more.  Sending in your own packaging is an option you can choose when you report the failure, so you don’t have to wait for them to send you a coffin first.

Worked great for me, I just re-used a previous coffin.

ZippyDSMlee says:

It would save on people going and gettign a used game repalcement thus more money for new games, but youer right they can;t do anythign right they can do everything cheap tho…

Until lobbying is a hanging offense I choose anarchy! Stop supporting big media and furthering the criminalization of consumers!!

Austin_Lewis says:

Electronics can last, absolutely.  I have an amp that’s over 30 years old for my guitar.  It still works, although occasionally I have to go search for a tube to replace a broken one.

The problem here, as you touched on, is the quality of the product.  While the system is UNDENIABLY fun, the fact of the matter is that since it’s creation it has had the highest failure rate of any piece of equipment I can think of.  I can’t name a firearm, a plane, a piece of avionics, a phone, a guitar, a car, a fridge, or a tv with such a high rate of failure.

I have a gameboy, a gameboy color, AND a gameboy pocket that still work.  I never play them, but they still work like they did when they were first turned on. Same for my SNES, my Genesis, and my NES.  I don’t see us having that same experience with the XBOX 360.

As for Wiis, I had to send my wife’s in right after we received it.  It refused to read ANYTHING.  It wouldn’t read Wii games, it wouldn’t read Gamecube games, it wouldn’t read memory cards, nothing.

Now, the PS3 I have has never had a problem.  I run it nearly constantly, for long periods of time (3 weeks being the longest; I was replaying FFVIII), and have never had a single problem with it.  The PS3 may be something that, like my PS1, I can turn on in twenty years and play again, but I don’t think the 360 will share that experience.

-Jes- says:

3 desktops, 1 laptop, 1 xenon 360, 1 launch-date ps2, a c64, an amiga500..

Only things to ever stop working?

1 x IBM "death"star 60gb hdd.

1 x 300w psu.

1 x laptop graphics card. (faulty gpu line, free repair)

The rest are working fine and dandy as we speak. (and I’m typing this on the lappy.)

Neo_DrKefka says:
    What makes matters worse they want you to use your own printer to print out a ticket slip to ship out to UPS but of course hey will send you out one.
    To make matters even worse they stopped sending out coffin boxes. Can you believe that? They want me to spend my money to pay for boxing, insulation and other needs? They have a defect they should be paying for anything even if I had everything needed to quickly ship the box fact is, there is a principle here.

Oh and I called every day and finally they just decided to send me a box. You now have to go to a higher Tier to actually get a box

Bloodharp says:

Among the 10 or so 360’s spread amongst my friends, i have heard about 6 RRODs and seen 2. Of the 5 or 6 PS3s among my friends, not once has the console failed. Same thing for the 8 Wii’s. So why is it that people keep buying the damn things? You wouldnt stand for this kinda crap from Windows 99 would you? Screw Microsoft, go Sony. Unless its a pc, because Macintosh is trying to steal you souls. Besides, PS3 has MGS4 and FF 13 and R&CF. And free internet connection. No gold membership fee for me!

In war, truth is the first casualty.

sqlrob says:

If you want to use those numbers, it’s 6 failures in 10 consoles (5 original, 5 shipped back, one of those second 5 broken), 6 out of 11 when it comes back. Even using those generous numbers, you’re close to the 54% failure rate quoted here.

You’re right, everything electronic will eventually break. This is happening within the warranty period for a lot of people. That’s pretty quickly. My wife still has an original gameboy that works just fine. I think that’s the oldest piece of electronics we have, so things can last.

Austin_Lewis says:

When you send an Xbox in, you very rarely get the same one back.  Even if you do, the fact that they changed out most of the parts means that you basically got a sixth Xbox but lost possession of the other one.  Therein, his failure rate remains 100%.

What is really important is WHEN they fail.  All electronics will, one day, fail.  Whether it’s 9 months after purchase or 100 years, they will fail someday.  So, let us say he got 5 360s.  The first 2 failed within 6 months, the next 2 within 9 months, and the last one within a year and a half.  Then we have some interesting information.

However, as I said before, he would still only have a 100% failure rate for 6 systems (soon to be 7).

sqlrob says:

Here in Austin, it’s been 7/8 friends (since mine hasn’t failed, we’re at a total of 7/9). We’re at 58 100+ degree days so far this year :-/

I didn’t put the 360 where I wanted to because I was paranoid about the overheating. It’s been fine where it is though, knock on wood.

questionmark1987 says:

When I first heard about the PS3 I heard it had a lot of overheating issues. I have one of the last models that still had backwards compatablity. Between gaming and the folding@home program I have left it on for a month straight without shutting it off and have yet to experience any major issues. I got it ~ 2 years ago (summer before last) so far it’s been a great investment.

questionmark1987 says:

This is why I have yet to buy this system. Very few games out on it that are must have that I can’t get on another system, and I’m not willing to spend $100 + on something that is that likely to fail. Everyone I know who has one has RROD at least once, if not multiple times, including all my friends who have purchased them recently. Maybe it’s the Phoenix heat I don’t know.

sqlrob says:

"we own five 360’s, and all five have required repairs – one of them needs to be repaired a second time"

So yes, he’s had five consoles and six needed repairs.

Austin_Lewis says:

…. Are you retarded?  How can he have a 120% failure rate?  100% means every console he bought failed.  120% means that he had five consoles, and six failed.

Saxy says:

Well, I was planning on getting my own 360 at one point, instead of hogging my friend’s, but in less than 10 hours of gameplay between me and a friend, I’ve seen 3 individual systems crash. Two were RROD, and I don’t know what the other one was. Microsoft’s been doing a good job repairing them… but they shouldn’t have to be.

On the other hand, I’ve never seen a PS3 crash, and my Wii only started failing once. It wasn’t a crash, but it would continually stop spinning the disc, usually after a few hours of gameplay. It was livable, but I decided it needed to be sent in after I got an error message just after beating Bowser for the last time in Mario Galaxy.

And considering that whole string of errors only came about because my brother left the console on for 8-9 days straight while we went on vacation, I’d say the odds, as far as reliability is concerned, are stacked high against MS.

sqlrob says:

But you’re depending on them doing it *right*, a poor assumption. They will go for cheap over correct. Witness this article.

Do it wrong it it causes more problems than it solves.

SpaceGhost2K says:

That’s over 54% of people who responded to that survey, and you can guess that the people with issues are more than likely to be the ones to respond.

As for me, between my family and me, and my girlfriend, we own five 360’s, and all five have required repairs – one of them needs to be repaired a second time. So I’m not going to defend them (MS or GI). I’m only going to state that the survey was flawed.

ZippyDSMlee says:

It can’t be more than adding 5$ per game and 10$ per unit to use the OD cartride setup. A puny protive layer is nothing compred to the disc being completely protected…..

ZippyDSMlee says:

PS2 had a few bad revisions mostly around the lens units they used even the frist couple of slim models.

I should know I repaired them for friends and sht, I been trying to keep up with PS3 issues but the best I can find is some wonky BR units and dead boards, its not to the DRE issue of old tho..

dsparil says:

Got the RROD about a year ago, but fortunately still had the warrenty. But the now the disk drive on my system has died and since the warrenty has expired the repair is going to cost $100 (although everything else still works). Interestingly my original xbox still works fine even though I’ve had it since 2003.

woolf2k says:

I still have my first one. But I don’t use it as often. When I do I immidieately turn it off when not in use.

I had the original Xbox go out on me in a month because of leaving it on all the time so I stopped doing that with it and it lasted alot longer…it eventually did go red.

so I do the same thing with the 360. turn it off when not in use. I also have the external fans on it. It makes it loud but I assume it keeps it cooler.

Longjocks says:

I guess if we’re to add our personal anecdotes, I have owned two Xbox360s and neither have failed. I gave the older one away and got a newer gen version with HDMI output. The older machine was quite loud and had the odd problem reading the discs of a couple of my games at times. The new one doesn’t like sitting vertically on its side and GTA IV would often lock up because of it. Other than that there have been no major issues for me.

Please note that I suffix this post with a big fat ‘YET’.

gamadaya says:

But that’s because UMDs use rediculously cheap material and don’t have any protective layer on the actual disc. If they were put together better and had protective coating, they would work a lot better. But the purpose of discs is to provide cheap and simple storage. The more parts you add, the more complex it gets, and the more expensive it gets.

Believe in something! Even if it’s wrong, believe in it!

-Glenn Beck

Roh02 says:

I bought one of the first 360’s that came into the uk and it rrod on me 2 days before the warrenty ran out so luckilly I have a free replacement. 2 more days and I wouldnt be so lucky this ones working fine for now I hope it lasts.

Monte says:

Well i got a first generation PS2 that’s still alive and kicking… heard some pretty bad stuff about that first line, but i ain’t making any claims =p

JustChris says:

This generation’s sucking more than the last one. Xbox 360 has a competent game library and its hardware is flat out bad. The PS3 is still a bit too pricey. The Wii has the best hardware (durability wise) but it’s too much of an odd bird that many hardcore gamers don’t take it seriously.

Two months ago I bought a refurbished 360, knowing that its chips were re-soldered with a professional working station to prevent bad solder cracks that cause heating problems. Hopefully it’ll be the last Xbox 360 I’ll have to own.

Wormdundee says:

I guess I’m lucky, my 360 is not in what I would call a well ventilated area, and it sounds like a damn jet engine when it’s running.

No issues yet though, and I’ve had it for 2 years.

sqlrob says:

This is ridiculously high, and as another poster has said, I hope mine doesn’t become one of the statistics.

What’s with the other failure rates? Those seem high as well. Shouldn’t consumer failure rate be 2-3% or less?

Father Time says:

Sad thing is there will still be people defedning Microsoft for selling them a faulty piece of hardware. These people are known as suckers.

ZippyDSMlee says:

I am starting to think game discs need to be put in a optical disc style cartridge…I mean come on 40+ for a game….. alittle more protection is not going to kill anyone….

Its strange you’ve had 2 WII go bad….. then again you must have played them more than the casaul 2 hours every other day 😛

gamadaya says:

I’m still not too pissed at MS. Literally everything I buy either comes broken is breaks shortly afterward. My first Wii had a GPU defect, and the second one quickly developed a disc drive problem. And they both had overheating issues. My first 3 DS lites had stuck pixels, and my 4th had a screen alignment problem. I battled against the inevitable death of my Gamecube for 3 years. 2 Aquas HDTVs developed a dark line in the same place, a Samsung DLP burned up, and my laptop died a day after warranty expired due to overheating issues after my cooling pad broke (without my knowledge) and a faulty power supply. Meanwhile, I’ve never seen a broken NES, Genesis, SNES or Super Nintendo, and only 1 CRT TV I’ve ever had broke. Shit just worked in the old days, even if you needed a book to hold the cartridge in the right place.

Oh yeah, and all 5 of my Gamecube controllers, 3 of my N64 controllers, and both of my 360 controllers broke. But God bless those Dualshock 2 controllers. Screws can come loose, rumble can fail, but the sticks will never break.

Believe in something!

Even if it’s wrong, believe in it!

GET OFF MY PHONE! -Glenn Beck

ZippyDSMlee says:

My condolances you know you can pick up an arcade version for under 130$ on Ebay and most have a warrenty left, send it in befor teh warrenty ends regardless of it being bad or not, they will have to reup the warrenty to 90 days 😛

gamadaya says:

I had that too. I thought I was in the clear because I had a Falcon, but then I got hit with what was at the time a reletively new error. And then I found out that they didn’t even cover it under warranty. So I just lied and said it RRODed. I probably could have waited 2 weeks until they realized that it was another huge problem and extended the warranty.

Believe in something! Even if it’s wrong, believe in it!

-Glenn Beck

DJSurface says:

I must be lucky or something.  I consider the use of my original 360 elite unit to border on abusive but it’s still tickin’ after more than three years.  Further, I can count on one hand the number of times its locked up during game play. (And I have a stong suspicion that it was the game’s fault, not the hardware.)

What are you guys doing to your poor xboxen?

Lou says:

I’m still amazed at the ridiculous high failure rate of the XBOX360. I gave up on my XBOX 360 about a year ago after it died three times in a year. My entertainment center is well ventilated and my PS3 has not died on me and I leave mine on for days at a time running the fold at home program. I have always believed that the main issue with the 360 was the small design of the unit. There are a lot of components that run a high temperatures and most of the improvements have not helped much. Now my 360 is being used to play first party games with less than three hours of use per week.

PHX Corp says:

I did have a RROD once but I sent it in to get fixed and it’s still working like new

That same day I also assoiated myself with the Playstation 3

Watching JT on GP is just like watching an episode of Jerry springer only as funny as the fights

Ratros says:

Brother in law went through three in a week.  My dad’s been through two.  Me?  I’m still on my first though I’ve had it a shorter time than the other two.

I once had a dream about God. In it, he was looking down upon the planet and the havoc we recked and he said unto us, "Damn Kids get off my lawn!"

DeepThorn says:

I am no longer putting time or money into my 360 after this last failure.  It just isn’t worth it to me.  It was just outside the warrenty, and they wont fix it for free.  I am sure as hell not paying to fix it.

Microsoft is going to see all of my games back on the market, resulting in a lot more money loss for them than if they would have just fixed the console for free in the first place.  Plus I would have bought more games.

Nido Web Flash Tutorials AS2 and AS3 Tutorials for anyone interested.
    How to set Xbox 360 Parental Controls

State says:

I’m still on my first (but that has had to be repaired thanks to the red ring of death). I found that it appears to be disc reading that causes the 360 to overheat and installing games to the hard drive seems to prevent this (not ideal and had to buy a new expensive official Microsoft Xbox hard drive for this). A poorly designed console.

Doctor Proctor says:

Well, I won’t be giving a detailed debunking, but I will say that my failure rate has been 0% thus far.

I got my 360 around July of ’06 when they released Chromehounds, which was before the Falcon motherboard revision IIRC (meaning it was essentially the same specs as the launch units).  Other than the occasional disc read error, which I don’t have a problem with anymore thanks to saving games to the hard drive, I’ve never had any issues with the unit and it’s never been sent into repair.

That’s the problem with statistics though, is that they’re just averages.  They should be taken with a grain of salt, especially when they’re coming from a self-reporting survey (where people who have had failures would probably be more likely to respond, because they’re more emotionally invested in the poll).  Sure, someone like GP had a 100% failure rate, but then there are a lot of people like me that have had their 360 for 3-4 years and never had a single problem with it.

— "Life’s short and hard, like a body building elf." — The Bloodhound Gang

Inimical says:

My first 360 bricked the day I bought it, my second one is still going strong.

However, I have my current 360 red ring twice. The first time was becuase the power cable came loose, and the second was during a lightning storm where I had forgot to turn it off and there was a power surge.

I don’t doubt for a second that the 360 failure rate is that high. I’m also not an idiot and will not be buying a new 360 if mine dies when it’s out of warranty. I love it, but I’d really rather not gamble away $400.

Flowerbed says:

I’m rather fortunate, in that only one of my three 360s died.

Knowing my luck, the remaining survivors will choke and die horrible console deaths within a week of my writing this.

I initially thought the official failure rate was somewhere around 30%, but considering that every single person i know who owns a 360 has had at least ONE die on them, I always imagined the number to be much MUCH higher.

Cerabret100 says:

very different from my experience, i’ve only had my first die, and i had a replacement in about 9 days. quite satisfied with the online return and repair service.

BearDogg-X says:

My brother is on his 2nd 360(first one bit the dust in late April with an E-74 failure).

^^Edited since I couldn’t remember the exact failure until Austin Lewis posted it.

Geaux Saints, Geaux Tigers, Geaux Hornets, Jack Thompson can geaux chase a chupacabra.

Saints(3-4), LSU(7-0)

Zerodash says:

My 3rd 360 just died this weekend.  The thing has been running in a well-ventillated area in my dry & cool basement.  Seemingly ideal conditions, and yet it still died.  Oddly, 3 other 360 owners I work with had theirs die within the last 2 weeks…

ZippyDSMlee says:

I have done some research on the 360 fail rate more, and more than zippy skimming and ass’uuming mind you.

Heres a few interesting links I have found

This one alludes to it being 16% on current units

And this one is one of the best, even if he is hocvking a book, truth is always stranger than fiction.

From all the digging I have read it seems the 360 total fail rate is around the 60% margin for its all time high now that includes production line issues.

Now frankly I think the real number is still around a 4 in 10 ratio or 25-40% ratio you simply have to many refrubs and older units in play and thats going to to affect the numbers some but no more than double possible fail rate of 10-20%.

TL DR

New units have a fail ate of around 10-20%

Older units have a fail rate of 20-40%

Total fail rate around 30-50%, all time high 60%.

MS was sloppy and poorly built and revised the 360 if they did it right the first time they probably would have made more than Nin and the WII……