Obama's Ghana Speech Streamed, Analyzed in Second Life

August 19, 2009 -

A speech delivered by Barack Obama in Ghana last month was the President's "most tweeted, Facebooked, and SMS'd event to date," according to Second Life Examiner (GP: although it's unclear how the site arrived at that conclusion).

The event was streamed live into both Second Life and Metaplace. The Click Heard Round the World offers its take on the event:

After President Obama's speech, there was a virtual debrief with three African experts: Ghanian musician DNA (Derrick Ashong), Ambassador Kenton Keith and African studies Professor Timothy Burke of Swarthmore College. People in Second Life and Metaplace could ask the speakers questions as well as engage in back channel chat.

Comments

Re: Obama's Ghana Speech Streamed, Analyzed in Second Life

It wasn’t historic or amazing, in fact representatives from that Government had to remind the Liberal US News Networks that Bush received the same welcome and more since his programs of mosquito nets and combating AIDS has decreased and saved millions of lives from the most devastating disease in and out of Africa, Malaria.

Look at this Liberal Reporter from CNN who literally jumped when this person reminded him of Bush’s reception when he tried to make a snub on Bush.

Re: Obama's Ghana Speech Streamed, Analyzed in Second Life

You know it really doesn't help the level of political discourse when you use terms like liberal and conservative as perjoratives. Both sides have good ideas and bad ideas and neither side is even remotely perfect.

Re: Obama's Ghana Speech Streamed, Analyzed in Second Life

You're absolutely right, but he does have a point.  NBC News interviewed a high-ranking official in their government, asking how happy they were that Barrack Obama took the time to grace them with his presence, if the people were as elated as they should be that he visited them.  The official stated that they were actually more excited when Bush visited, because he actually did things to help them.

---

Freedom of speech means the freedom to say ANYTHING, so long as it is the truth. This does not exclude anything that might hurt someone's feelings.

--- With the first link, the chain is forged.

Matthew Wilsonmetaphorically speaking of course04/17/2015 - 9:40pm