Bishop of UFO Religion Loses Discrimination Lawsuit Against Ubisoft

The Montreal Gazette reports that a $10,000 lawsuit filed against the game publisher by the bishop of the Raëlian Church has been thrown out.

Raëlism is a UFO-based religion founded in 1974. From the newspaper story:

Daniel Chabot had sued for moral and exemplary damages claiming he was discriminated against based on religion…

Chabot had argued before [Judge] Lachapelle that his training program at Ubisoft was cancelled after it was discovered he was a member of the Raëlians.

According to Raëlism’s Wikipedia entry, the government of France considers it a cult.

nefermore says:

Quite honestly I dont care if the guy worshiped Mr Potatoe Head.  If his program was canceled because of his beliefs then it was wrong.   If Ubisoft had other reasons then perhaps they need to carry the burden of proof as they would be expected to in other cases.

I think a bigger question how many judges are influenced by things they shouldnt be.

JustChris says:

They called their cloning company "Clonaid"! You gotta hand it to them, they know how to pick no-brainer names that seem more in place with a mediocre sci-fi film, and made our world just a tiny bit more fantastical because of it.

MrKlorox says:

Oh yeah! I remember these guys now! Their whole "goal" is to provide immortality through science. Clone the body, advance the aging process, backup the brain/soul and implant it into the clone. Totally scientific.

Zerodash says:

This is the same group who claimed to have cloned a human being a few years back.  They originally promised to submit proof for the scientific community to verify their claims.  Naturally, they backed out at the last minute.

Erik says:

Um, no?  Yeah the Bible is sort of clear on stating that there is no act of goodness you can do on your behalf to keep from going to hell.  This would include tithing.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

MrKlorox says:

I think you mean the "Abrahamic" religions instead of "the big 3". Last time I checked, Hinduism and Buddhism were still pretty big. And this religion/cult seems to be pretty public about its beliefs.

But when you got down to it, all religions are cults. Don’t fool yourself.

Ratros says:

A little bit from column A a little from column B.  Don’t judge a group by it’s loudest members, for most of the time, they are the idiots that make others look bad.

I once had a dream about God. In it, he was looking down upon the planet and the havoc we recked and he said unto us, "Damn Kids get off my lawn!"

jedidethfreak says:

"Do unto others" wouldn’t work, because these people have an inherent dislike of the bible.

Freedom of speech means the freedom to say ANYTHING, so long as it is the truth. This does not exclude anything that might hurt someone’s feelings.

DraginHikari says:

To be honset in all the churches I had to go to with my parents as a kid I’d never heard of a church of that variety.

If people don’t like religion that’s fine, but as much as gamers hate exaggeration on issues against them, it’s best not to do the same the other way around.

thefremen says:

Yes, your church is exactly like every other church. I personally tried out the whole "believing in God" thing back on Maui, after 6 months of being told to give 10% or go to hell, vote all GOP or go to hell and burn Pokemon toys or go to hell I figured that church kinda sucked.

It happens. It’s probably more common than you think.

Neeneko says:

Cult is a pretty loose concept but generally it requires a central living figure and significant tension/isolation from the local culture.

So the term generally applies to very new religions that center around a single charismatic leader who has a high degree of control over their members.

Sciontology at this point probably is not really a cult since their founder passed away a while back.  Christianity and Islan started as cults but would no longer be considered one.

But opennness?  No, not a criteria.  There are plenty of religions and sects that are highly secretive about their internal practices and quitea  few that still require tithing from their members.

In fact, the whole idea of tithing being optional is fairly modern.  Even in post-revolution america you still had tithes being pulled strait from the tax base (i.e. the state government had a tax on all citizens that went strait to either the offical church or was split up among the large denominations).

Wormdundee says:

Don’t know where you heard because it sure ain’t true. I have been forced to go to church for these 20 years because my parents are Christians. I sure as hell never put anything in the plate, and noone told me I was going to hell because of that.

If you’re going to rage against Christians, at least make it informed raging :)

If you’re wondering why I still go to church, it’s because the argument just wouldn’t be worth it, and I’ll be moving out soon anyway.

Austin_Lewis says:

Yeah, because they throw your ass out of the church, destroy your family, harass you endlessly, and litigate you senseless if you don’t pay a tithing.

Oh wait. They don’t.

thefremen says:

I hereby present to you the official award for the easiest person to troll on the entirety of the internet. I mean, someone makes a joke about how Formula One is inferior to Rally and Stock Car racing and you totally unironically use it for vendetta.

As far as people getting upset about people generalizing videogames, I’m generally the one saying "maybe a game that is literally just about killing women and refers to them as whores and bitches might be a bit misogynistic" while you and the rest of the recent imports from /b/ and Kotaku attack any position other than "VIDEO GAMES ARE AWESOME".

Austin_Lewis says:

That’s some fine quotation there.  Call up Press Secretary Gibbs at the whitehouse; surely they could use people of your caliber.

Seriously though, that was pretty funny.

Saxy says:

Austin, don’t be absurd.

Everybody knows that only Christians can be hypocrites. The Bible even says it… let’s see…

John 78:134 "…Christians…"

Billy 8:3.14 "…are…"

Endprogram ("Sarcasm")

Austin_Lewis says:

Thank you for adding so much to this discussion.  You added a blind disdain and overgeneralization about religion, and then this?  My goodness, what great conrtibutions.

Of course, whenever someone generalizes about video games, you’re pissed off.  But when you generalize about other groups, it’s great.  Isn’t that right hypocrite?

gamadaya says:

That’s a nice story. These religious descrimination rules may be inconsistant, but at least they get some of the crazy people. And without them, I’d be pretty much screwed.

Believe in something! Even if it’s wrong, believe in it!

-Glenn Beck

Vengful_Soldier says:

I just believe in a freaking god, who is female, but I have my reasons. My point is, as long as you have a good moral code than you shouldn’t need to worry what the hell you believe in!

Zerodash says:

I’m also willing to bet that this cult has caused less harm, pain, suffering, hatred, and otherwise bad things than every single "legit" religion out there.

If I was forced to choose a faith, it would more likely be something like Raelism (or whatever its called) than the other leading brands.

Kajex says:

The differences are also in what you take out of it. There’s a difference between beneficial lessons of being excellent to on another, and being told that the spaceship is coming (and everybody gets a probe). At least with one lie, in many cases you’re told not to be a jackass to other people. >.> Even if the holy text would normally say that’s okay…

thefremen says:

I’d like to see more details. Certainly, worshiping aliens is no less insane than believing the world is 6,000 years old despite evidence from every field of science to the contrary.

wii_charles says:

It would be nice to know more details, but I would certainly say that if he was ousted from a training program simply because he belonged to a cult that this would be wrong.  The difference between an established religion and a cult is to a great degree a matter of time; if your cult lasts a thousand years, it’s an established religion.  But I’ve never seen a religion, be it Judaism, Christianity, Scientology, Mormonism or any other whose basic beliefs don’t sound at best like bizarre myths steeped in the culture of the time or at worst utterly insane ramblings.

Now, if there is some evidence that Raëlians are specifically dangerous to Ubisoft – for example, if Raëlians believe videogames are the devils work and must be destroyed – then I can see the problem, and if the guy were harrassing people with his religion I can see the problem (although I’m not sure if anyone would fire a born-again Christian if he refused to shut up at work about Jesus), but if someone just said, ooh, a religious nut, let’s fire him, it doesn’t seem fair.

Charles Herold

Wii Guide

thefremen says:

Alright, I concede. This HAS to be a cult. If he was a Rally or Stock Car racer it potentially could be a legit religion, but as it is…Yeah, cult.

Soldat_Louis says:

One thing about Raëlism : the French founder of this cult (let’s call a cat "a cat") used to be a pop singer and an automobile sports driver (in Formula One, I think) in the 70’s. It was his passion. But the 1973 oil crisis sparked, energy restrictions occurred, and he had to give up automobile. And right after, he founded Raëlism.

Neeneko says:

Ah Raëlism.. have not run into that one in a while.

Archetypal example of a charismatic figure using his status to start a cult in order to get lots of sex from devoted members.

Austin_Lewis says:

I think one of the big differences is openness (SP?).  For example, you can read the big 3 (Christianity, Judaism, Islam)’s religious texts at any library.  However, cults (like Scientology), tend to not let such things be public.  Also, no religion requires that you give money to the church, much less demanding a certain portion of your money on a regular basis.

chadachada321 says:

Personally, I think that distinguishing between a "cult" and a "religion" is bullshit, but I’m wondering what this "training program" was and other facts on the case itself (of which there are very little).