Fallen Soldier’s Dad Promises They Will Play CoD Again One Day

British Private Richard Hunt made the ultimate sacrifice last week when his company was struck by an explosive device while on patrol in Afghanistan.

During a well-attended ceremony back home in Monmouthshire on what would have been the fallen soldier’s 22nd birthday, Private Hunt’s father, Phillip, commemorated the time they spent together playing Call of Duty: World at War.

Along with flowers and other items, a copy of the game was laid at the site of the memorial service. A handwritten not attached to the game read:

Happy Birthday ‘Hunty’. Play you again one day. Dad.

Via: BBC

32 comments

Andrew Eisen says:

Because it wasn’t a reply, just a stand alone post.  As such, it didn’t make much sense, seemed off topic, and wasn’t saying anything constructive anyway.  So I deleted it.

Andrew Eisen

JohnMidnight says:

You need a dose of common sense, and a dose of wise up juice. You’re lacking both, particularly in the case of

"My point is that none of us are personally affected, yet here are some folks who are pretending they are.  It’s stupid."

Yes it is stupid. If their pretending. But you don’t know that, and neither do I. So if you’ve got no proof, don’t waste time in making a arse of yourself.

"And I didn’t bring religion into it.  The father did when he said that he’d play CoD with his son later.  If anyone’s the religion-bringing jackass it’s him."

So? How do you know he’s being "religious"? For all you know he could be saying that just for being a beliver in something?

Honor thy dead, and deceased family, for which, you have done neither, far more terribly than anyone here with "False Sympathy notes"

My apologies, that your dads gone. Apologies for that comment.

Oh, and by the way, this I can contest as a high probability theory.
    Imagine being there, and say
    "Somehow I very much doubt they’ll ever play CoD:WaW again.  Firstly, there’s almost certainly no afterlife.  Secondly, if there is an afterlife and if there’s a heaven, CoD: WaW won’t be in it because it’s crap.  The game might exist in hell, but since these two *liked* to play it, I very much doubt they’ll get to play it there either."
    I’d imagine, you’d be running very soon if you said that loud enough.

Sons of the American Legion
    Squadron 3, Cmdr J. R.
    "I didn’t make it into the Military, but I’ll show my support to the Troops, and their families as best I can."

Ashura01 says:

Personaly affected or not, this is still a tragic event and you should show respect to someone who died in service to his country. And his father "brought religion into it" because he wants to believe he’ll see his son again. Is that so wrong? Or were you not held enough as a child?

Bennett Beeny says:

Wormdundee says:

Look man, there’s having a sense of humor, and then there’s laughing at a father’s grief over his dead son. I know you wouldn’t have the balls to say such a thing in the real world because you know you would get the same response you’ve gotten here.

And secondly, I have a suspicion that the joke portion of your comment was minimal. You’re just another jackass who felt the need to bring religion into it. There’s a time and place for religious debate, this is not one of them. If you had any social skills you would know that.

Bennett Beeny says:

Lots of folks here appear to have no sense of humour and are all too willing to get all emotional over some stranger’s death.  This is a game forum, not a memorial service, and people die every day.  Only a very few of them get ‘lucky’ enough to be plastered over websites.  So I’m sorry if my attitude somehow takes away from the ‘real’ grief some folks here are feeling for this dead guy, but I think it would be a bit less hypocritical of you folks if you felt that grief for EVERY casualty of war, and not just the ones whose dads play CoD with them.

If this story is our business – and that’s debatable, then we should be able to comment about it freely, including joking about it.  If jokes aren’t permissable, maybe such stories don’t belong on blogs and news websites.  This is – or should be – a personal tragedy, not a public one.  We’ve lost nothing, and the kinds of pretences of ‘real’ grief over a stranger’s death that we see here are ludicrous.  The guy’s family are the only ones who have suffered.  To pretend that this affects us is embarrassing nonsense and much more disrespectful to the guy’s family than my little joke.

Personally I think that words like ‘fallen’, and the notion that there’s an afterlife debase the act of dying.  He didn’t ‘fall’ – as if it was merely a stumble – he got torn apart and murdered in an explosion.  And he’s not coming back.  The whole notion that there’s something beyond death fuels the whole problem.  I think if people fully realized that death was final, they’d be a little bit more willing to preserve people’s lives rather than blithely taking them.

So please, stop the hypocrisy.  Feelings of grief are for times when you suffer a tragedy.  They are not for cherry-picked news stories, no matter how good an excuse they give you to pretend you’re all ‘deeply affected’ by them

Bigman-K says:

Well, there is no proof that Aliens exist but i’m pretty damn certain that other intelligent lifeforms other then ourselves exist somewhere out there in the universe. String Theory hasn’t been proven although most in the physics community believe it is the true "Theory of Everything". This is no different.

"No law means no law" – Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black on the First Amendment

Bigman-K says:

O.K. fine. But what you said was in really poor taste. It would be like going up to a kid with terminal cancer in a hospital and telling him there is no God or Heaven and when he or she dies they will be nothing but worm food.

A person can still be an atheist or agnostic and have respect for other’s spiritual beliefs and faith without having to mock or make fun of them like some arrogant douchbag who believes because of their lack of belief that they are on some higher pedistal or smarter then those who who do believe. Those people piss me off. There is a way to express your beliefs (or lack there of) without being disrespectful about it.

"No law means no law" – Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black on the First Amendment

Bennett Beeny says:

I’m not a militant atheist.  I’m an agnostic.  I never said there was no afterlife.  I said there was ‘almost certainly’ no afterlife.

Ratros says:

Lack of evidence is not the same as proof of non-existance.  All the same, you’re probably a troll.  Irregarless, you’re a horrible person.  The commenters before me summed it up pretty nicely, but I have one more thing to say, get out.

Bigman-K says:

And you know there is no afterlife how? Seriously it’s people like you that are the reason i can’t stand militant atheists. Nothing more then arrogant dicks who like to shit all over people’s sacred beliefs, probably because it gives them some sort of purpose in life.

"No law means no law" – Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black on the First Amendment

Father Time says:

This is the kind of complete shit I wouldn’t even expect from Jack Thompson (well there was the Metal Gear incident). I’m an atheist too but I know when to show some damn respect. You disgust me sir.

—————————————————-

Flamespeak says:

A man buries his son and leaves behind a token of affection for him at his funeral. Instead of acknowledging his loss or even at the very least showing some respectful silence you instead take time out of your day to chastise his beliefs, take away his hope that his son is in a better place, and even shit on the parting gift.

Is this really the kind of person you want people to view you as?

Pinworm says:

Did you really have to ruin this with that? Really?

I mean, I agree, but why the fuck would you say that? why? What exactly are you hoping to accomplish?

Do you enjoy going up to children with terminal cancer and telling them "they have no hope to live" and that "they’ll never see their parents again, ever"?

Bennett Beeny says:

questionmark1987 says:

Touching moment, funny how you don’t see any anti-violent game protesters talking about how the son was convinced to go into military service because he was programmed by the game yadda yadda yadda.

gamadaya says:

Wow, that’s hardcore. It’s like something out of a movie.

——————————————————–

Believe in something! Even if it’s wrong, believe in it!

GET OFF MY PHONE!

-Glenn Beck

ExpiredPopsicle says:

Presumably because the article says they played COD: WaW instead of COD4.

I’m not sure why he would do this with a game that they didn’t play, regardless of what war it takes place in.