Shadow Complex Boycott a Non-Starter?

Calls to boycott Xbox Live Arcade offering Shadow Complex because it is based on the works of anti-gay rights author Orson Scott Card may be falling on deaf ears, reports

Card is part of the National Organisation for Marriage: founded in 2007 to act as an organised opposion against same-sex marriage. Card has personally campaigned against gay marriage, which he believes would mark an end to democracy. He further argues that homosexuality is a dysfunction…

Whatever the case, it looks like the boycott didn’t work. Following rave reviews, Shadow Complex has romped to the top of the most played Xbox LIVE Arcade titles, even entering the top ten of all Xbox 360 games played online.

jccalhoun says:

Having looked into this a little bit, the Chair entertainment guys are also the guys behind Advent Rising — which also brought Card in to write the story. And they are based in Utah and one of them directed some Mormon-themed movie. So it seems a safe bet that they are pretty tight with Card who is a Mormon.  I haven’t heard them talk about their personal beliefs though so they might not share Card’s opinions.

beatniknight says:

As a gay dude who purchased Shadow Complex (and who was more than a little disappointed with how terrible the story was, but who enjoyed playing it nonetheless. Is that just me? It was stupid bordering on farcical), I did so, even knowing about the boycott, because, frankly, Card just isn’t close enough to the project for me not to. He’s not getting enough of my money for my boycott to feel like it was actually taking money away from an anti-gay rights group. Also I did take GayGamer’s advice and donated an equal amount to a gay charity. Which mitigated my guilt, and still got me my fun (if ridiculously written) game.

G.A. says:

I’ve read a lot of his books but until I read the last article had no idea he was anti-gay…

I find it interesting though that this same type of outrage occurs in several of his books to several different characters. That says something of his writing skills I think because it’s pretty accurate (If you’ve read Ender’s Game and the sequels you know what I’m talking about). People do seem to have an unpleasant habit of getting into a "mob" frenzy and stringing someone simply because their beliefs don’t agree with yours or because of misunderstandings in what they actually believe. The same thing happened to Jesus, Martin Luther King, JFK, etc. You’ve seen it in movies like Horton Hears a Who and it happened during the Salem Witch Trials. I’m NOT saying that Card actually is or isn’t like them (that’s not the issue), but the situations are the same albeit on a smaller scale. Most people look back on those situations and think how amazing it is that people actually did that…But it’s so much harder to recognize when you’re the one doing the attacking, when you’re part of the mob…

If you have a problem with his anti-gay articles or whatever, then counter them in the same arena, write a counter article. If you don’t like the fact that he’s an anti-gay activist or whatever, become a gay activist or attack his anti-gay proposals or whatever.

Just because he has personal beliefs does not mean that his work reflects them. I’ve used this example before, turn the situation around. Should people boycott all the Lord of the Rings Movies or X-Men 1,2 & 3 just becaue Ian Mckellan (the guy who plays Gandalf and Magneto) is a gay rights activist? Those movies have no pro-gay messages in them, do they? Did Mckellan get lots of money out of it? No doubt and likely a portion of it went into supporting gay rights and all that.

ZippyDSMlee says:

Mmmmm I still think tis silly since he didn’t have much to do with the game in question. But the main point in anything like this is the sensationalism that comes up to drive home a message.

Personally I feel you can’t have guns without abortion and individual rights, because marriage and law is no longer directly handled by the church/religion gay marrige is a non issue IE its the right of theindividual and if individuals can not have that right then they should have no freedoms at all because we need that kind of draconian order to balance society.

Until lobbying is a hanging offense I choose anarchy! Stop supporting big media and furthering the criminalization of consumers!!

Snipzor says:

The theoretical boycott didn’t work because there wasn’t an actual bloody boycott.

How many times must this be pointed out? The boycott didn’t happen, it was an attempt to generate outrage from those who don’t know the story in any way.

axiomatic says:

Card is in fact a anti-gay douchebag. You need look no further than his Wikipedia entry for confirmation of this. Even with him being the asshole he is it is no reason to punish the developers of this game. They worked hard and I seriously doubt they made the game to side with Cards homophobia. The game developers were obviously inspiried by Cards Sci-Fi works. While I also respect what this boycott is trying to acheive as well, this is not the way to address it.

jccalhoun says:

I don’t really need to comple a list of his projects since most of them say "orson scott card" on them somewhere.

Regarding a u-turn, I don’t see not giving someone I don’t like my money as discrimination unless you want to use the term in its broadest definition of simply liking some things more than others. There’s a difference between not liking a person’s political views and not liking a whole group of people.

Stealthguy says:

Ahah! How involved was he in this whole again? I’m just not understanding how avoiding something he was involved, whether greatly or not, makes any sense. If the game doesn’t project his wordly views or trys shoving them down your throat then whats the damn problem? The mere fact he was in ‘contact’ somehow taints it? It seems intolerance really can go both ways. Sure, ‘he started it’ first but what kind of response is that for someone trying to rep their group or life style as responsible and okay. All they’d be doing is feeding the fucking fire.

Monte says:

My only point was that he is indeed an outspoken critic on the subject, and that is incorrect to say otherwise… Go ahead and say you don’t care, or that you think it should not matter as that’s your opinion and choice… but don’t deny it and say he isn’t outspoken about the subject… that was my point

Adrian Lopez says:

He uses the word "jail" in his piece for Sunstone magazine. He says "the goal of the polity is not to put homosexuals in jail" while simultaneously making an argument in favor of laws that criminalize homosexual behavior in order to "discourage people from engaging in homosexual practices in the first place". He seems to be saying homosexuals shouldn’t be jailed simply for the sake of putting them in jail, but that they should be jailed to serve as an example to would-be homosexuals:

"Laws against homosexual behavior should remain on the books, not to be indiscriminately enforced against anyone who happens to be caught violating them, but to be used when necessary to send a clear message that those whoflagrantly violate society’s regulation of sexual behavior cannot be permitted to remain as acceptable, equal citizens within that society.

The goal of the polity is not to put homosexuals in jail. The goal is to discourage people from engaging in homosexual practices in the first place, and, when they nevertheless proceed in their homosexual behavior, to encourage them to do so discreetly, so as not to shake the confidence of the community in the polity’s ability to provide rules for safe, stable, dependable marriage and family relationships."

It strikes me as the sort of self-contradicting position that can only be supported by blind faith.

StevoUK says:

I smell a u-turn.

So you’re saying you won’t support any work that Card was involved in, simply because of his opinions? Isn’t that discrimination?

Also, I hope, since you feel so strongly about this, that you are at this moment diligently compiling a list of all the projects he’s been involved with so as not to support him!

Stealthguy says:

And why should we again? I didn’t know reading up on the personal lives and ideals of our favorite authors was a requirement of living. All this noise is ridiculous, the proposed boycott doesn’t seem to be having an effect. There’s even the possibility that, *gasp* these outspoken individuals are helping the game sales. That’d be a real kick in the teeth wouldn’t it?

thefremen says:

So you mean that if a public figure goes out and speaks to the KKK and says "Brown people! Amirite?" his comments shouldn’t be considered racist because he didn’t think anyone outside of that audience would hear them?

BTW, read those links, he isn’t just anti-gay marriage he also wants gays to be jailed, fined and put on the sex crime watchlist.

Austin_Lewis says:

I figured that the sunstone magazine was a religious magazine, something LDS related.

But there’s a big difference.  No one gives much of a fuck what people write on their blog. It’s a place for opinions, a place that isn’t readily visible (you have to be looking for the topic to find his take on it).  It’s not held in the same regard as something printed in a newspaper (or magazine), nor does it recieve the same circulation.

So, yeah, sunstone magazine is a LDS related magazine, meaning that he was A) preaching to a group that’s already on board with his Idea and B) not being published in anything near reputable.

jccalhoun says:

I find the distinction between "writting an article" and blogging about it irrelevant.

However, the first "thing" I linked to says at the top, "First appeared in print in The Rhinoceros Times, Greensboro, NC" which at least indicated that it appeared in a printed newspaper of some kind or other. The second one says "from Sunstone magazine" which does appear to be an actual print magazine.

Adrian Lopez says:

Except that that the people in charge — experts or otherwise — do make most of the decisions, and not necessarily in the best interests of the voting public.

People vote for their favorite celebritician and the celebritician in turn makes the decisions. It’s a bit like a game show.

Monte says:

Just because his books do not reference his anti-gay stance does not mean he is not outspoken. Furthermore, "outspoken" does not only include the people who speak so much that they have national recognition (i doubt anyone could name every outspoken critic on any subject). Frankly, if you take a very active stance and work towards those ends, i’d say you are indeed "outspoken" about those stances… as oppose to someone who is more passive, keeps their opinions to themselves, but won’t lie about having those feelings if asked and would not hesitate to vote accordingly…

In this instance, Card not only written a few articles about his stance but he is also a member of the board of directors for the national organization of marriage, which works against same-sex marriage… Frankly, i think that’s enough to say his outspoken… the idea that you did not know just means you did not do much research on what he does when he’s not writing books.

E. Zachary Knight says:

Thanks for the links. I now have my new favorite quote:

"Me, I prefer democracy – even if it means letting dumb people like me have our say – and our votes. Studies have shown that when you let dumb people vote, it works out way better than letting experts make all the political decisions."

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

Austin_Lewis says:

Really?  Because I found ONE article he wrote about Homosexual MARRIAGE (not homosexuality) being a failed social experiment.

Also, funny story; he’s a Democrat.

Speeder says:

And why then the gays have the right to write that they want gay marriage?

Why gays can be outspoken and white male heteroxesual caucasians can’t?

jccalhoun says:

I don’t mean that his books are all about how gay is wrong.  I mean that he doesn’t keep his opinions to himself and that he feels so strongly about homosexuality being wrong that he has written at least 2 (I think at least 3 actually) op-ed columns about it.  That’s outspoken to me.

jedidethfreak says:

You do remember how Ender was treated as a kid, right?  Everybody shit on him, and he was forced to help them.  That’s the mindset of how he’s supposed to be a sympathetic character.

He was dead when I got here.

Bill says:

"Pro-eugenics pro-genocide pro-segregation would be a description based on his books. That any better?"

No.  That’s like labeling an author who writes about the holocaust as pro-holocaust pro-eugenics pro-genocide pro-segregation.  Feel any smarter cunt for brains?

jedidethfreak says:

Really?  Cuz I’ve never heard that argument before.  I always thought the predominant argument against gay marriage is that there’d be precedent for allowing polygamy, interspecies relationships and relationships between of-age people and minors, as the argument allowing gays to marry is that they’re "in love."  In the relationships I listed, the exact same argument could be made for any number of groups within them, so why should they be kept illegal if gay marriage is allowed?

That’s the argument I’ve always heard.

He was dead when I got here.

Krono says:

No that wouldn’t make him an "Anti-traditional marriage" journalist as pro-gay rights != anti-traditional marriage. He’d have to speak out against traditional marriage to be an "anti=traditional marriage" journalist.

Bill says:

So let us say Dennis McCauley was pro-gay rights in his personal view.  Let us say he publicly said so.  Would that then make him an "anti-traditional marriage" journalist?  If so would that then make him unable to be an objective journalist when it comes to the issue of gay rights/traditional marriage and the reporting of such stories?

Krono says:

The people that are pressing for the boycott clearly don’t care about the distinction. Also "anti-gay rights author" is still a perfectly valid description of Card. It’s ambiguous, but grammatically correct.

jedidethfreak says:

No you’re not.  You think that equal rights are only for those that agree with you.  You’ve proven that countless times.

He was dead when I got here.

thefremen says:

Wow so you won’t let the fact that he’s Bi keep you from watching Invader Zim. Wow, how enlightened. Thing about Orson Scott Card is that his point of view is present in his books. In Speaker for the Dead Ender talks about how this dude who died wasn’t such a bad guy for beating his wife because she didn’t mind on account that she cheated on him. Ender was a product of Eugenics but Eugenics is OK because he worked out. Ender committed genocide but that’s OK because it was to save humanity and he felt very bad about it afterwards.

chadachada321 says:

I was just saying that Jhonen was kinda a nutjob but that wouldn’t stop me from buying a product of his. I don’t even entirely know if he’s actually crazy, I was just going off of a rumor that I heard a long time ago, that was just the best example that I had at the time.

chadachada321 says:

…Uh…a large part of America (and many countries in the rest of the world) think that gay marriage should be illegal. I disagree, but I do respect his opinion. So I shouldn’t buy any foreign (and almost every Amreican) product because it’s likely tied to someone that thinks that gay marriage is wrong?

Vake Xeacons says:

My! How the tables have turned.

If you`re pro-gay, say it loud. If you`re not, don`t ask, don`t tell.

"They don`t know what they`re doing. They`re simply unenlightened and vulnerable to manipulation." -Janos Audron

MechaTama31 says:

No, Other M is pretty much the exact opposite of what I want Nintendo to do with Metroid.  I have never sat there playing Metroid, and thought to myself "Gee, this is fun, but it would be so much better if it was more like Ninja Gaiden."

eston says:

Trying to boycott a game because the story is based off of the creative work of someone who has a different personal opinion than them? God I love this country.

Baruch_S says:

I’d say it’s worse than that. I’d never even heard of this game, and now I want to play it just to see what it’s like. Forget the politics, this is just free advertising for the game. As they say, all publicity is good publicity…

Stealthguy says:

Woah Nelly! Before I dissolve into a fit giggles: I never said what you were doing was wrong. Amusing definitely, but not wrong. Stop assuming anyone who doesn’t agree with your viewpoint is automaticly against you. We live in a world of hues, not just black and white. I found your arogance at assuming yuou have complete control over what you will and will not encounter in your life to be funny. And I think there is a distinction between not experiencing something and actively throwing a black curtain over it.

questionmark1987 says:

Do you see every movie, tv show, play, ballet, etc. that is released? Have you read every book in the world? Have you played every game? Of course not, we make decisions based on a variety of factors. People shun movies because of racial or stereotypical undertones, gamers lambast movies and TV shows for their stereotypical representations all the time. We’ve ALL insulted Jack Thompson because of his views on gaming. And yet somehow it’s wrong for me to choose to not support something connected to a man who has disdain for the very fact that I live my life the way I feel happiest doing so.

I lead a very full life, a full life does nto require that I let in all the crap that exists in the world.

questionmark1987 says:

I have no problem with anyone voicing their beliefs or having those beliefs for any reason. That doesn’t mean I have to agree or support their work however. I don’t try to force others into behaving or making decisions the way I do, I leave it up to individuals to do that. I find it odd you are all so concerned over me missing the experience of one or even several games over something that is important to me. Sadly I doubt there would be this much defense for it if the views he expressed were based on race instead of sexual orientation, but I’ve accepted the fact that while it’s the same thing people choose not to see it that way.

As for the "treat it like a religion" comment. My sexuality is much more central to my being than ANYONE’S religion is to them. Religion is something that is taught, that is learned and that you choose. Your sexual orientation is a part of you that you do not decide and that once cemented does not change. You can repress it, which will often lead to a lot of self loathing and depression, or you can embrace it and try to live a happy life as who you really are inside. I hate to say it but it’s really very ignorant to compare the two.

As for the "go straight" thing, I really don’t have any comment on it. I don’t see that as a problem unless you’re directing someone who isn’t straight to be straight.

questionmark1987 says:

I’m sure I have played a game made or with content that was related to someone who was anti-gay. And had I known before playing it or buying it that it was I might have decided not to. My point is that there are a LOT of options in the industry, and none of them are so amazing to me that I am willing to compromise my morals or my principals to experience them. Entertainment isn’t something that I feel I need to have/see/do everything in, I pick and choose and am happy with the selections I make.

To be fair I probably would never have read his books anyway since I’m not a big Sci-fi fan.

mogbert says:

Ender’s Game is my favorite book of all time and that is saying a lot as I’m a very avid reader. I was surprised that he is anti-gay, as if you actually read some of his books, they contain gay overtones in some, and a gay sex scene in another (song master or something?) I’ve found that I’m not a big fan of his work outside of the Ender’s Game series.

Most chrsitian people are going to be anti-gay since the bible is anti-gay. Some have figured that editing the bible to remove the parts they don’t like fixes that. Quite frankly, I’m not in the conversation at all, being non-religious. But are you going to swear off ALL media that might employ a christian, or anyone that doesn’t share your exact ideals? If not, then shove the boycott up your game hating butt. If the game is good, it should be enjoyed on it’s own merits.

It used to be that someone could voice their religious beliefs and flaming them for it was considered rude. Now, if you aren’t pro-gay, you better not mention it! You’d be better off sending a youtube video bashing baby seals to PETA.

Personally, I don’t have any problems with the GLBT populace, and I have some friends that are prominent members. But what really starts to chafe is when they treat it like a religion. I DON’T have to choose a side. I WILL continue to say "Go strait" when giving directions and coming to an intersection at which you don’t turn (yes, that was an issue I’ve come across).

Stealthguy says:

What? I understand appearance is everything but those who don’t care about who’s gay or isn’t and those who who do care for the wrong reasons arn’t going to have their minds changed or their actions influenced for one minute. No one is going to hear about the boycotts failure and feel emboldened to act out against the first gay person they encounter. They’ll just do it anyway.

chadachada321 says:

So then…any book by any Republican or Democrat or Green party I shouldn’t read or even give a chance just because I vehemotely disagree with the author’s political views? Any game or movie involving someone that I disagree with politically should just be avoided by me? (By the way, that would include every single game and movie ever created unless they happened to be completely designed and made by Libertarians).

Almost everyone has at least one ideological difference that you or I would strongly disagree with, whether it be gay marriage (or homosexuality in general), abortion, torture, war/military, privacy rights, government spending, government control, affirmative action, political correctness, everything. To just avoid anything that is made by someone with a different opinion shows a large amount of immaturity.

Just because Card dislikes gay marraige (or even thinks that homosexuality is wrong) doesn’t mean that he is actively trying to hurt gays or doing any more than the average person with a strong political feeling. I’d buy a book written by Obama if it was a compelling fiction book that didn’t inject too many of his political feelings into the writing, and even enjoy webcomics/websites like XKCD and Cracked, even though I disagree with some of the more liberal articles/comics.

cppcrusader says:

"I won’t buy it.  I won’t buy anything that will give Card one cent."

I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume you’ve only come across articles in the past day that choose to leave out the fact that Card was not involved with the game nor did he create the Empire Universe.  So, you know, you can buy the game.

Speeder says:

Until all that boycott stuff I did not knew either…

I think that it is backfiring, because possible supports of anti-gay marraige are now knowing of a important person for their cause…

Austin_Lewis says:

I’ve read a few of his books, and until yesterday, I had no idea what his views were.  So you’re basically making a huge assumption that he’s ‘outspoken’, when many people who’ve read his books had NO IDEA he was anti-gay marriage.

That’s some good detective work there, Batman.

jccalhoun says:

I won’t buy it.  I won’t buy anything that will give Card one cent.  His fiction may be the best thing ever but I won’t read it.  There are so many English language books out there that it is impossible to read them all.  So if I can knock an author’s works off my list of things to read it will just make room for something else.  Life is finite.  I would rather read something by someone who doesn’t feel the need to be so outspoken about his or her personal opinions than read Card’s stuff and try to forget that I find his politics to be repulsive.

The same can be said of videogames.  Shadow Complex may be the game of the year but I’ve got a pile of games sitting here that I haven’t played yet. I think I"ll play one of those instead of that.

chadachada321 says:

I almost got a tear in my eye from the beauty of your words. I, too, agree that marriage is something that should have nothing to do with the state, it is a private affair. However, I don’t know what your feelings on the subject are, but as for "legal bonding," I think that any legal adult couple should be able to become legally bonded and share the same rights as any other legally bonded couple, regardless of race/gender/religion/lack-of-religion. (What legal rights to married couples even have today? Some tax stuff and insurance stuff, but what else?)

Thomas McKenna says:

A person’s personal opinions can have absolutely no bearing on their works.  I love reading Kurt Vonnegut.  As a libertarian, I absolutely hate his out of book (unless you’re reading shitty ones like Breakfast of Champions, Timequake, etc where they’re in book) political and moral opinions.  I think they’re shallow and lack real thought.  Yet this doesn’t stop me from reading Slaughterhouse V for the 10th time.

Orson Scott Card is a good writer.  It only takes picking up and reading Ender’s Game to figure that one out.  Until today, I didn’t know of his philosophy on marriage.  Now that I know it, the book will be exactly the same.  Good writing is good writing.

And even if he is against gay marriage, why make him out to be a reincarnation of evil?  Last I checked, we’re supposed to respect other people’s opinions, even if you didn’t follow them.  The "champions" of the gay marriage movement, the dems, the party of tolerance, are so intolerant of any idea that is contrary to their own that you’re either with them on the subject, or you’re satan.  No middle ground.  Ridiculous.  This is so long as they’re not a democratic party leader, when in which case you seem to be immune to the hatred, as Obama, Hillary, Pelosi, and others in the party have said that they don’t support gay marriage.

But those are their ways, and if they wish to boycott a good game because they don’t agree with the writer, then so be it.  I’ll go ahead and enjoy it myself.

*I’ll be unable to make further comments, so just to try and head off some attacks against my statement (and there’ll likely be at least one seeing how I defended the rights of people who are against gay marriage), let me just say that I don’t think marriage has any place in the government at all.  Thus, gay marriage is something which just further digs marriage into a political hole.  I’m against that much.  Should gay people get "married" instead of any of the half dozen practices which do exactly that without the word?  Sure, if they really want to.  Separate but equal showed it didn’t work back in the 50s and 60s.  I can basically go either way on the subject, and really, I think the left blows the topic out of proportion.  Instead of deficits, power shortages, failings of the legislature and the executive, and other much more important topics to focus on, we’re calling people who don’t agree with gay marriage devils and try to get them strung up in any way possible.

So it goes.

MechaTama31 says:

Hurray for Chair!  Shadow Complex was a magnificent upgrade to the Metroid formula, and it deserves every scrap of its praise and success.  Now if only Nintendo would get off their ass and make us an actual Metroid game in this vein…

Not gonna address the boycott issue here, I did enough of that in the other story.  Just wanted to congratulate Chair, and be happy for their success.

Wormdundee says:

Well good for you I guess. But your selective morals are pretty silly. I guarantee that you have played at least one game, or read one book that was produced by someone who is very strongly in favor of something that you are very strongly against.

Plus, I could say you technically do have something to lose by avoiding works connected to him. Namely, the Ender’s Game series is one of the best sci-fi series ever written. It’s basically required reading for any sci-fi fan.

questionmark1987 says:

I’ve never heard of Card before this period. Based on what I’ve learned about him I won’t be buying the game and won’t be reading his books. I support anyone who does because from what I’ve learned most of his work doesn’t include his opinion on gay marriage, and the game doesn’t. But

I’m making a decision to avoid supporting anything connected with this author. It’s not a huge influence on him but it’s the only influence I have. I don’t personally stand to lose anything by avoiding works connected to him, and I highly doubt any companies like Chair will go bankrupt becauseof my and other people’s decisions to do this. It’s simply for my own personal reasons and feelings of distaste for his opinions that I choose to avoid him, and frankly I see nothing wrong with either avoiding him and works connected to him or not, regardless of if you agree with him or not. We all make decisions about what we buy based on different factors, personal politics happens to be an important factor to me about who I support.

grey_poet says:

There is a critical difference between the phrase "anti-gay rights author" and "author who has anit-gay rights opinions".  Loading the summary in such a fashion seems a bit underhanded.

Bill says:

I can’t find any anti-gay rights books written by Card.  Are you sure he’s an anti-gay rights author?  It looks like he is mainly a Sci-Fi author.  So your personal politics determines your art now?

thefremen says:

Wait. What? Jhonen Vasquez deserves to be compared to a dude who thinks gay marriage should banned and anti-gay sex laws NEED to stay on the books and be enforced because…What? You don’t like Happy Noodle Boy?

chadachada321 says:

Eh the guy’s a nutjob. But if the product is good and doesn’t actually endorse what this one guy feels, then it shouldn’t really matter. Like Invader Zim. Yes, the creator was nuts, but the product was good and buying the product doesn’t formally or practically constitute supporting the person, but rather the product/company.

cppcrusader says:

Of course it was a non-starter.  It was based on factual inaccuracies, but hey we can’t let that stand in the way of "outrage" after all.

It just irritates me that there are so many, who despite being told differently numerous times in numerous ways, choose to remain ignorant and hold on to their "outrage".

Erasmus Darwin says:

The free advertising would be secondary to the loss of perceived importance of a cause from a failed boycott.  Gay rights may be important, but if this boycott were to get more widely publicized and then fail spectacular, the appearance would be that most people don’t care about gay rights and that everyone could treat them as irrelevant.  In the end, that would do more harm than good to the cause in question.

Baruch_S says:

They’re probably lucky the boycott isn’t starting. The game sounds like it’s popluar; the last thing these people should want to do is give it a ton of free advertising by making a fuss.