Chinese Version of Company of Heroes Zaps Nazi References

The popular, World War II-themed RTS Company of Heroes is shortly to enter the Chinese game market as Company of Heroes Online, reports Kotaku.

When it does, all references to Nazi Germany will have been purged. The German side will be renamed "The Federation," while iron cross symbols on German vehicles and buildings will also be changed.

Neo_DrKefka says:
    I don’t understand this move but I can say China most likely wants to focus the evils of World War II on Japan which they are rightly to want. The treatment of the Chinese by the Japanese in World War II is how most Jews feel about Germans during World War II.
    Japan was a vile and evil country that literally raped China. Any town or city they entered the first thing they did was rape the locals. Japan has already been a country that advocates rape and has the shame of being a country that would board American, British and Australian Ships and use those women on those Cruise Ships as “comfort women.”
    Sadly the Suburban kids here in the United States are willing to forgive and forget when it comes to Japan with there Anime and Japanese gaming obsession which somehow makes Japan exempt from their crimes.
    Japan is only better today was because MacArthur refused Eisenhower and Truman to control Japan and split control globally like was done in Germany and Europe since the Soviets wanted to control Northern Japan.  Thankfully MacArthur won and Japan is better for it today but not before Truman fired him which lead Truman an American President to hide himself in a bunker afraid MacArthur would come after him.

Japan still refuses to apologize for it’s massive rapes which still outrages older Americans and Chinese.

Ashton says:

The comments, the article is lacking in detail, merely that the game has been altered.

If I had to offer up a theory, I’d probably say that it’s for the same reasons crosses are edited out of a lot of media that come from Japan and reach American shores: sensitivity. That’s no excuse though, and in no way do I endorse censorship, but using this as a platform to mudsling seems absurd to me, especially when some people in the comments are mocking the country’s equivalant of the Holocaust (The Rape of Nanking). Seriously, what the hell? That’s like if someone said "You know why the Jews got killed by the Nazis? Because they’re so Goddamned cheap!" It’s disgusting and callous to the nth degree. And I’m a little rusty on my history, but I never heard of China having links to Nazi Germany back in WW2. I’ll have to check up on that.

Personally, I think China has a great very many things wrong, but fabricating or using whatever platform you can to perpetuate your hatred is equally wrong, in my eyes.

gamegod25 says:

I can understand that for some countries WWII and the Nazi regime is a sore issue. But pretending it didn’t happen isn’t going to make it go away or change what happened.

Stealthguy says:

Are you directing this at the article or the comments? Oh, and do you have a theory as to why they would want to edit the game in such a way?

Ashton says:

Wait a second, simple modification (without any claims as to WHY they’re doing this) provokes mudslinging into China’s past?

I’m the last person to support censorship, but this seems like a nonsequitur to me.

Wormdundee says:

This particular censorship doesn’t make any sense at all. Why would China care about having Germany in their video games? Unless they’re trying to be sensitive to Germany or something, but that doesn’t sound like China to me.

Snakestream says:

Kinda weird that the Chinese want to deny the existence of World War II, especially considering that they fought in the side that won. Even though that was the previous regime, it still is kinda funny, especially since I’m pretty sure that they care about World War II when it comes to their involvement (I believe they got pretty steamed when Japanese history textbooks omitted the Rape of Nanjing).

sirdarkat says:

Yeah I don’t get this censorship in fact I would think it would be opposite because they get to kick the crap out of them … oh wait actually I do get it.  China was friends with Nazi Germany until Japan attacked them and basically conqured them and then they couldn’t even save themselves they had to wait for the Allied forces to defeat the Axis in order to be free.  With how China likes to gloss over history and basically make it look like their people could never make a mistake (being friendly with Germany while they are conquering everything is probably a big one on top of not being able to defend yourself when Japan invaded) I could see this of course being a problem.

HarmlessBunny says:

Ummmm….why? I know the Chinese Government has a hardon for censorship, but this makes no sense. Obviously this game is set in World War II….hrmmmmmmmmm who were the big enemies Allied Nations fought? China can answer one really really quick (being neighbours and all). I am sure if they looked towards Europe and somehow remember basic history they would know the "Federation" was not one of them.

Censorship of Nazi Germany really makes no sense…

MaskedPixelante says:

You know who ELSE wanted to remove all traces of the Nazi regime?

Seriously, this will take all of, what, 5 minutes for dedicated crackers to fix?

—You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.