Think You Can Text & Drive? Play This Game…

Now, an online game published by the New York Times shows just how much a driver’s reaction time is impacted by texting. Try the game here.

Via: OhMyGov!

Tyler Baumbarger says:

People who live in a city that has 20+ toll complexs on a single 6 lane highway with no other cars and some sort of legal requirement for only one toll gate to be open at a time, but without any actual toll.

Growing older doesn’t have to mean giving up what makes you. –

kagota says:

Its not that its thought as a good idea but as a convenience.  I’ll admit I also have busted out my cellphone and texted while driving, but it has never caused me any problems.  Driving is simple and once you have a good instructor, it becomes second nature to you.  No matter what car you jump in or how long you go without driving, its like riding a bike– you’ll always remember how. Different vehicles don’t matter.  Face it, once we get good with driving, we do fancy stuff like driving with one hand or with our knees while making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  Personally me?  I have a sidekick–so when you read a text, you just hit function r (reply) then type in your message (with keyboard [i type 90 WPM’s] so i don’t need to look at the keys)  and drive with the back of your hands or a finger.

Cerabret100 says:

still don’t see why anyone thinks doing both at the same time is a good idea.

The most i’ve done is read a text while driving, but they’ve usually been short, or there’s no way in hell i’ll read it on a fast or busy road.

Hevach says:

The study I remember from some time ago (about cell phone conversations, not texting – that hadn’t really caught on at the time) gave a few accidents that involved both entirely to alcohol and not cell phones. It gives the hypothesis you’re testing the statistical worst case, which is generally good practice and helps stave off the most common claims of selective bias.

Ratros says:

Common sense man, with the power to recognize bullshit and stupidity for what it is!

I once had a dream about God. In it, he was looking down upon the planet and the havoc we recked and he said unto us, "Damn Kids get off my lawn!"

Nope because after 100+ years of cars being on the road people still don’t apparently know that distractions can cause accidents. At this point one would think it’d be hammered home since it’s common sense.

But of course you know what they say about common sense. >_>

Seiena_Cyrus says:

The game proved why my car is silent and my concentration is fully on the road…I’m ADD and neurotic…that felt like I was going 100 miles per hour and I couldn’t register the numbers in enough time to actually get any of the gates I missed all of them while just trying to drive let alone while texting oi!

Pinworm says:

"Texting while driving is increasingly understood to be a very dangerous activity."

Actually, it’s responsible for more crashes and deaths than even drinking is now.

Orelup says:

.09 with 0 gates missed wiht a 2.5 reaction time for the gates.

Anyone able to beat me?

(i might be missing the moral of the game, but screw it i play games to win!)

SimonBob says:

My reaction times while texting improved noticeably as I practised more.  Clearly, this game will teach impressionable youngsters distracting habits and cause massive vehicular carnage in the next six months!  And there are no realistic consequences for missing a gate!  How dare the New York Times release a murder simulator on their website?  Rabble rabble rabble!

The Mammon Philosophy