Hardcore WoW Playing Senator Announces Run for Lt. Guv of Guam

We’ve written before on GamePolitics about Ray Tenorio (left), a member of Guam’s Senate who also happens to be a hardcore World of Warcraft player.

But Tenorio has an announcement to make about his next political move, and he sent it here, which is kind of cool:

Hafa Adai (Hello) Game Politics.com.

I hope everyone at GamePolitics.com are healthy and doing well. As most everyone in WoW are eyeing level 85 in the Cataclysm expansion, waiting to take down the Lich King and still grinding heroic Ulduar…

I wanted to let GamePolitics.com know first that I am running for Lt. Governor with my friend, Senator Eddie Baza Calvo, who is running for Governor…

I want to let your readers know that, among the numerous web sites and related comments to the articles about my gaming life some years ago, I understand the issues faced by the people who write on GamePolitics.com.

Perhaps together, we can continue to let people, voters and those in positions of authority know that gamers are the same as those who do everything from clean public parks, fight and die for democracy, conduct intricate procedures in professional careers, and, Yes, even make policy…for our communities, everywhere around the globe. That simple fact is rarely said but is the basis for an even broader discussion on the depth and breadth of people who enjoy gaming and still carry out their responsibilities.

Tenorio’s WoW character is Paleray, a level-80 Dwarf Priest on the Silverhand server. He belongs to the Knights of the Marianas guild.

Guam is a territory of the United States and has one non-voting member in the U.S. House of Representatives. Tenorio is a member of Guam’s 15-member unicameral legislature.

Paleray says:

Thanks for the well wishes, Roh02,  I appreciate it.  I don’t have an Iron Gamepad, but I do have the battery-free mouse pad; Kinda sweet not buying batteries. I’ll check in on the site from time to time to see what’s going on.

Si Yu’os Ma’ase’ (Thank  you in our Chamorro language),

JDKJ says:

Dumber than a cinder block, that one is. In fact, too dumb to even figure out after all this time that if there’s one thing I’m not very good at, it’s suffering fools gladly.

DarkSaber says:

He may well be a dick, in fact he’s usually the first to admit it, but you are pants on head thick.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

jedidethfreak says:

Actually, considering the fact that you’ve been a dick to other people without me present, you’re just a dick.

He was dead when I got here.

JDKJ says:

Have you considered the possibility that you bring out the dick in me and upon yourself 100% of the time?

Bonobo monkey.

He was a Bonobo monkey when I got here. He was a Bonobo when I left. And he was a Bonobo monkey at all times between my arrival and departure.

JDKJ says:

Now, now. There’s no need to savagely lash out like that. Try to curb your primate instincts.

He was a Bonobo monkey when I got here. He was a Bonobo monkey when I left.

jedidethfreak says:

Oh, I got it.  It’s just that turnabout is fair play.  He wants to give me shit because of what I said (for no reason that actually related to the topic, just to try and piss me off), so I did the same thing to him.  Too bad you’re just too much of a stupid bitch to get that.

He was dead when I got here.

Valdearg says:

I got it, JDKJ, and I lol’ed hard. Especially at the fact the Jedi did not. Par for the course, with him, though.

On Topic, I think it’s refreshing to see a gamer rise up to government on the national stage. The more people like Ray Tenorio who can be a rational voice amongst those who cry "BAN" at every single moment, the better it is for our country, IMO.

jedidethfreak says:

Funny, you telling me to stop what you started.  This wouldn’t have gone anywhere had you not resorted to being a dick.

He was dead when I got here.

DarkSaber says:

Were you born with the brain damage, or did it occur later in life?

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Mad_Scientist says:

You know, if anything, all that this exchange has done is lower my respect for you.

I actually didn’t agree with jedi’s post, but DarkSaber answered it in a perfectly normal, respectful way. Then suddenly you start posting with all this bonobo monkey stuff. It just makes you look childish.

JDKJ says:

Might I suggest that you just quit? Give up. Call it a day. Take your ball and go home. Before your reputation as a Bonobo monkey becomes forever and irrevocably fixed for all to see.

jedidethfreak says:

Puns only work when your previous statement suggests that you only care about proper spelling, grammar and quotations.  I’m just pulling the same shit on you that you pulled on me.

He was dead when I got here.

JDKJ says:

While you’re apparently completely unfamiliar with it, there is this thing called a "pun." It’s a play on words. It’s like taking the saying "necessity is the mother of invention" and re-casting it as "necessity is the mother of invective." That, my clueless friend, is a pun.

Just when you’ve got me thinking you can’t possibly be any more ignorant, you up the ante on me.

jedidethfreak says:

Last time I checked, I could type whatever I wanted to type.  I didn’t realize you were the grammar police here on gp AS WELL as being a complete dick.

He was dead when I got here.

JDKJ says:

If you knew you were responding to the Senator, then why would you, when speaking to the second-person, refer to them in the third-person ("I think it’s great that this guy’s got a real shot . . . .")? Why wouldn’t you say "I think it’s great that you’ve got a real shot . . . .?" That’s a little confusing, don’t you think? It certainly confuses me.

Remember that we’re all, from time to time, guilty of exhibiting the intelligence of a Bonobo monkey. It won’t kill you to smack yourself in the forehead with an open palm and just admit to being caught out as a Bonobo monkey. I think that’s a much better strategy than offering up a lame-ass, transparent denial.

jedidethfreak says:

Actually, I did.  I read the blog.  Doesn’t change the fact that I don’t really care about gamers in politics.  Politics is a realm that is supposed to be open to anyone, as politicians are supposed to represent everyone in their particular area.  Again, I think it’s great, but don’t really care about it.

He was dead when I got here.

DarkSaber says:

Nobody is treating this as a second coming, they are treating like it is, a nicely pleasant article about someone in a position of power who is a gamer and helping support the ‘Gaming is legitimate recreation for people of all ages" line.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Roh02 says:

mwuahahahahHAHAHAHAHAHA fellow gamers we are one more step closer to world domination

all is as planned REJOICE for the world will be ours AND WE SHALL RULE WITH AN IRON GAMEPAD

but in all seriousness good luck

Paleray says:

Fearward ftw. 0-O

I think you’re reading a little too deep, Bennett. But thanks for the note. I’ll try to keep that in mind. I was a cop and then Public Safety Committee chair so pointing out my work and how it’s benefited the community is not playing the fear card; it’s calling attention to accomplishments. But it’s taken in the context it was provided, constructive criticism. Thanks. Ray

Bennett Beeny says:

"…gamers are the same as those who do everything from clean public parks, fight and die for democracy, conduct intricate procedures in professional careers, and, Yes, even make policy…for our communities, everywhere around the globe. That simple fact is rarely said…"

True, and rarely said better.

However, Ray’s political ad (We’re safer with Ray) plays the fear card quite strongly.  I prefer politicians to stay away from such underhanded tactics.  Fear is, after all, what the Jack Thompsons of the world play on, and if Ray is willing to use fear as a tool now, then at some point we shouldn’t be surprised if he starts using it again with respect to videogames if his career is on the line.  Fearmongers tend to be more than willing to be hypocrites if it keeps them in office.

jedidethfreak says:

While I do agree that politicians need to see gaming as just another recreational activity, I believe that gamers, too, need to stop celebrating gamers garnering positions of power.  It isn’t as if this is a radically new phenomenon.  Gaming as an industry is one of the largest in the world, and, due to it’s entertainment ability, is somewhat cushioned from economic collapse as compared to other industries.  As such, that gives gaming serious political clout, as has been demonstrated with tax incentives to open development studios in Canada and the UK, as well as some states in the US.  On top of that, the industry itself is bigger than the movie industry, and how many movie stars have gained a foothold in the political realm.  Hell, even pro wrestlers have become governors, so why not a gamer?

I think it’s great that this guy’s got a real shot at bringing some common sense to the political realm, at least as far as gaming is concerned, but I just don’t see this as the Second Coming.

He was dead when I got here.

Paleray says:

I agree with you, Canary.

While there’s nothing necessarily wrong with other activities, I don’t play 18 holes of golf, bar hop or do other things that take me away from my family at home. Instead, I enjoy being at home with my wife and children, although when I’m in raiding, I’m pretty much in the zone.

As to your comment about "people in power who see gaming as we do", when the original article about me first ran on the internet, it was clear to me that hundreds of people in all sorts of professions game, online, every single day. I had people email as a result of that article and create an account on my server just to chat with me to confirm that I really exist. I chatted with them for a while and learned that many of them are ranking members of the military, plastic surgeon, CEO’s, and other people in very influential positions.

Incompetent and knee-jerk prone people, as you describe them, may act out of ignorance with the goal of trying to control a few self-discipline challenged people whose game play has adversely affected their lives.  So these people advocate broad sweeping policies to constrict the the habit how to better deal with the people who have problems instead of trying to control the entire population by policies  than deal with the individual who has a problem….I have to continue this later…To be continued/ or edited at least.

Canary Wundaboy says:

Hopefully as time goes on we’ll see many more politicians and people in power who see gaming as we do, just as another recreational activity like playing football or watching a film. It’s just whether this development occurs quicker than the growing hysterics of knee-jerk world governments (Germany) or incompetent Christian loonies (JT) that will decide whether or rights are protected or infringed.

Check out my blog – http://serveratcapacity.blogspot.com