Video Games Are Evil, Says Guy Who Made a Lot of Money Creating Video Games

We’ve heard video games blamed for a lot of crazy things over the years but the “death of our planet”?

Well, that’s a new one.

Yoshiyuki Tomino (left), creator of the long-running Mobile Suit Gundam series, delivered the keynote at Japan’s CEDEC 2009 game developers’ conference and offered a rather strong negative opinion on the subject of video games and how they affect our lives.

I think that video games are evil.  [Gaming] is not a type of activity that provides any support to our daily lives, and all these consoles are just consuming electricity! Let’s say we have about three billion people on this planet wasting their time, bringing no productivity at all. Add 10 billion more people, and what would happen to our planet? Video games are assisting the death of our planet!

Those are some pretty surprising comments coming from a man whose franchise has spawned more than 100 video games over the last couple decades. Tomino, who thinks nothing’s bested Tetris since it came out over 20 years ago, offered the attending developers advice on how to proceed from here on out.

You have to find the median — that games are not evil, perhaps not necessarily good either, but something that can be considered a pastime…

This is what I want to tell you: I want you to create a game that does not negatively affect our daily lives and is something that is considered more productive.

AE:  I can’t help but imagine a slack-jawed look of disbelief from the game developers in attendance.

Via: Gamasutra

-Reporting from San Diego, GamePolitics Senior Correspondent Andrew Eisen

162 comments

1. Erik says:

I don’t really care about the justification.  The point remains.  At the same time anime had more robust offerings.  It is only now that the gap is starting to close.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

2. jedidethfreak says:

You do know that the Super Friends was like that in order to be acceptable to parents that grew up in the 40’s, right?  Even though you may not get into it, and I sure as hell didn’t, there is a point.

He was dead when I got here.

3. DarkSaber says:

Nope, no joke account. I’m the same DarkSaber that signed up 1 year 4 weeks ago andf had been visiting for much longer before that.

Hmm, can’t seem to turn off bold text even though I didn’t turn it on. Weird.

4. BearDogg-X says:

According to TV Guide’s Fall Preview issue, the show’s mainly going to focus on just LL Cool J and Chris O’Donnell’s characters out in the field on dangerous undercover missions(Director Vance will make frequent crossover appearances and Abby will show up in the 2nd episode).

Geaux Saints, Geaux Tigers, Geaux Hornets, Jack Thompson can geaux chase a chupacabra.

Saints(3-4), LSU(7-0)

5. Erik says:

I will say that I prefer anime over western counterparts.  But to say that it is better, no I won’t go that far exactly.  If you like the western stuff, I see no problem with that.  To each his own.  But to be fair a lot of western stuff is improving.  Mind you the western stuff that tries too hard to be like anime generally is a total failure.  But I do see improvement over tripe like the "Super Friends" with it’s over sanitized excuse for plots and completely devoid of any interesting violence.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

6. DarkSaber says:

Still posting shit no-one reads I see.

7. mdo7 says:

The anime fandom is a shitty fan community. And that’s coming from a furry; with that said I think I know shitty fan communities when I see them (the furry fandom is pretty bad, too)."

I have to tell you something, I’m not weeaboos. I hate them also. and do you want to know why people attack video game?  It’s because of the fan.  They think we are abnormal and something like that.  They use the "think of the children" and "Religion Extremism" to cover up their true hatred for video game.  The government are not or maybe going to attack anime, politicians like the game hating one that may attack anime/manga next and people like Jack Thompson.  If you’re not aware, Halo and Dante’s Inferno has anime adaptation plan.  A lot of us anime fan are afraid that anime haters may follow Jack Thompson’s path.  Hell, I’m afraid if more American game may get anime adaptation, we may get more anime haters hating video game more and more. They’ll start to have paranoid thought like "the anime industry took over video game" or "Japan has invaded America using anime".

I studied anime hater’s psychological behavior, they are like ticking time bomb. They already put death threat via site (not sending it directly) to Batman and DC because they made Batman into a anime. Now they’re putting death threat to Halo, Bungie, and Microsoft via Youtube because Halo become an anime. Anything that anime haters love like video game, movie becoming an anime is like to them "They tainted that thing into anime, it’s evil".  Anime hater’s are weak-minded, they can be manipulated to join any anti-anime company or a leader like a game hating politician or lawyer.  If Jack Thompson and other game-hating politics become aware of anime haters in the gaming communities, they can get them to join the "dark side" and have them hate game and anime.  If I was a mindless anime hater, and Jack Thompson told me that the video game industry has been taken over by the anime industry. I might be one of those anime haters that will join him and renounce any traces of video game ever in my life.  The reason you don’t believe me because it hasn’t happen yet, when more game become anime you’re going to start losing faith in video game and start having delusional thought and thinking "video game company are trying to promote anime by turning their video game into anime" and also "thinking the anime industry has bought out the video game."  If Jack Thompson or any game hating politicians attack anime next.  Some of you may end up thinking "they’re not dumb douschebag after all", you won’t think straight because you’re hatred of anime is so strong you would go after anything that has been tainted by anime including video game.  Depend on how much you hate anime, you can’t think straight and you won’t have an open mind.  That’s why some people are willing to go after anything that has been tainted by a certain medium (remember JT sueing Wendy when they promoted the Nintendo Wii and Manhunt 2).  If congress pass a bill that ban both anime and video game, chances are the anime haters like you may support that bill because every anime haters may think video game has already been tainted by anime.

For some of you haters, you may not believed me but when more game become anime. You’re going to realize I’m correct because a lot of you anime haters are like Jack Thompson ready to do anything to take down anime even if it means you’ll violate first amendment like How JT tried when he did this to video game.  You’re not going to think straight and you’ll not realize you’re repeating Jack Thompson’s work by banning anime like the same way JT and other game hating politicians did before with video game.

8. BrandonL337 says:

No love for Rorouni Kenshin? No one in this thread had brought it up and it might very well be my favorite anime either it or Code Geass

There have always been motherf*ckers, there will always be motherf*ckers, but what we can’t do is let them control our motherf*cking lives. -John Oliver, December 1st, 2008

9. whiston532 says:

So seeing as how video games are evil and that im assuming hes going to give away every penny he earned from games, i mean, im sure he wouldnt want at that evil money.

Also, what do books, movies, plays, sporting events, board games, watching the sun set with your significant other, hanging out with your friends, playing catch with your kids, and many other activities offer society. I mean, all the time spent doing those things could be spent curing cancer, stoping all war ever, ending world hunger.

Im sure your all as filled with confusion as that last paragraph was in sarcasm

10. DarkSaber says:

I hated 4 and 4A. I mean really really "threw the disc across the room after 45 minutes in disgust and went back to Mechwarrior" hated. I was really disappointed because I enjoyed AC2 & 3 so much I didn;t put them down until I’d gt every last thing possible unlocked and bought.

11. JustChris says:

In my anime watching days, I eventually made it a note to myself to not watch anything that goes over the 26-episode length, since I’ll have trouble managing shows that have multiple story arcs with no definite end.

Things worked much better, and I could be more selective with the stuff I wanted to see. With a few exceptions I made, like watching Dragonball Z in my younger years.

12. JustChris says:

I’ll throw the semantics card in hear and correct people by saying that fans are part of a hobby’s subculture. Watching anime can be totally independent from talking about it with others.

If you hate fans of a particular hobby, it does not exclude liking the hobby in question. By liking the hobby you actually become a fan, but one that is totally different from the fans that you dislike. So in this case, really, hate the player but don’t hate the game.

13. DarkSaber says:

A Lord Z facepalm! This got a serious belly-lol from me!

14. metroidprimegmr says:

>Everyone flaming DarkSaber

1220410145972.jpg image by metroidprimegmr

Seriously, considering DarkSaber’s posting background this was obvious flamebait, and you all fell for it.

"No GamePolitics, YOU are the rage." And then GamePolitics was /v/.

_______________________________________________________

Jack Thompson: future Good Burger employee of the month

15. DarkSaber says:

Like console fanboys. God I hate those guys. I’m glad that as a PC gamer I can be content with being snobby and elitist instead of rabid and thick 😛

16. hellfire7885 says:

Sadly the same can be said of all cultures and sub cultures.

You have the average fans, and then the fans that are an embarassment to the average fans. Makes the average fans afraid to even make their hobby known.

Even so, it never, under any circumstances warranted blind hatred.

17. GRIZZAM PRIME says:

Video games aren’t productive? Wow. I didn’t know that. What the fuck is this guy babbling about? Not every activity can be productive. We’re not ants. We humans are very needy lil’ motherfuckers, and we like our fun little games. Understand morale? Creature comforts?

And this shit is coming from the guy who made televised anime giant robot mecha-lecka programming…

18. DarkSaber says:

"What I hate about anime… is the fans. Good lord, do I hate the fans… whenever I see a discussion about anime that doesn’t involve a particular show, I always the same thing; elitism and stupidity. So many of these people seem to think "their" format of a cartoon is so much damn better than everything else that they won’t even acknowledge their western counterparts. Or if the west does make something good that’s animated or cartoony, they always try and find a way to shoehorn in a way to say "anime inspired this" regardless of whether it’s true or not. There are also the weeaboos, but their worship isn’t so much anime as it is Japan in general. And of course we have folks like mdo7, aka Mr. "Da gubmint’s gunna legislate mah animu’s!""

Quoted for the truth.

19. SilverMelee says:

This reminds me of something I heard not too long ago about sitting around plaing video games. I still hear it and think it translates to "you should have no hobbies and everything should be work work work". Heaven forbid I relax and unwind.

Also, are we talking about anime? Cause I have want to say a little something about that.

I personally don’t care much for it. Sure, the artwork is sometimes really pretty, but sometimes I feel like you have to keep watching until it ends; miss a single episode and the next won’t make any sense… I have a lot of trouble getting into it. In the end, it’s not for me, and as such I don’t watch such shows. Mind you, I don’t go around expressing endless hatred for them; then I would be Complaining About Shows I Don’t Watch, and I’m above that.

— I do more than just play games. I draw, too: http://www.silvermelee.deviantart.com

20. ZippyDSMlee says:

I don’t like Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom to muh mind fcking and I loath that in anything, Tytaina was alot better, Vipers creed is pretty good as well. Spice and wolf season 2 is exelant as I know it would be 😛

Until lobbying is a hanging offense I choose anarchy! Stop supporting big media and furthering the criminalization of consumers!! http://zippydsmlee.wordpress.com/

21. StevoUK says:

And only an immature idiot would rise to such obvious bait. He doesn’t like anime – who cares?

Are you the Manga Pope or something that you have to convert everyone to liking anime?

People are different; they like different things. Fact.

22. TBoneTony says:

It is sad when videogame creators and Videogame players suddenly forget the one true message of Videogames…

Videogames and fun…enjoyable and a special part of a certain person’s lives who grew up playing Videogames.

You don’t need games that can better humanity to tell them that, because people who love Videogames and grew up with videogames know in their own hearts that what these people are saying are wrong.

We don’t need any reason to justify our gaming, because we know it ourselves.

Videogames are fun and enjoyable enjoyed by a certain people from a certain generation who grew up playing videogames.

That is all that is really needed to say.

PS. And when it comes to Anime/Manga or anything wierd or crazy from Japan, all I have to say is that you should watch Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom, and tell me what you then think about Anime/Manga or anything else crazy from Japan.

23. DarkSaber says:

Armored Cores been crap since the second one.

24. DarkSaber says:

Seems more like a case of "heaven forbid someone doesn’t like something you do" really.

25. DarkSaber says:

"but a reasonable person who saw it would have to admit that it doesn’t suck."

If it looks like a turd, smells like a turd, feels like a turd and came out of a dogs arse, would you put it in your mouth to confirm it’s a turd?

26. King of Fiji says:

This guy is a hyopcrit.

Because as we all know its gamers and not otaku using their dvd player non stop to watch the animoo that are destroying the planet by using too much electricity.

27. DarkSaber says:

Personally, I’m quite fond of looking through a Kaleidoscope while rustling some newspaper.

28. ZippyDSMlee says:

Modern games are more generic than anime 0-o

And as much as I like DBZ you can describe it with 2 sayings, shit happens and its 9000! LOL

Pokemon is bad about telling the same story witht eh same cast 1000 diffrent ways…I still can stand it and all I thin digimon is better at elast the fiction changes more.

29. Mad_Scientist says:

Your generalization of anime plots is basically like saysingthe plot of every video game is "go around killing things." Actually, the video game generalization might be more accurate.

Sure, there are definitely some anime cliches out there that get tiring at times, but that doesn’t mean that some series can’t still be enjoyable despite their cliches. And there are plenty of series that manage to avoid most/all cliches.

And I haven’t seen DBZ, Gundam, or Pokemon, but I can safely say that you didn’t really describe the plot of Code Geass or Death Note very well at all. The 2 series have drastically different stories from each other as well, even if the main characters of both series have some definite similarities.

30. Monte says:

"small group of teens changes the world" is incredibly vague and would cover A LOT of stories outside of anime… i mean, what? it doesn’t matter HOW they change the world? Doesn’t matter what kind of world they are in, in the first place? Do the characters themselves not matter? Does the journey not matter; the obstacles and difficulties? Do the motivations of the heroes and villians not matter?

really you might as well say "hero saves the day"; "space marines fight aliens"; "guy saves a damsel in distress"; "Some guy with personal issues winds up on an adventure that ends up solving those issues" (i think i cover most of pixar and disney with those and god knows how many hollywood movies)… I mean really, there are hundreds of animes and mangas; if you use a vague concept like that you are bound to get a good amount of overlap… though if we want to talk overlap, we could always go to TvTropes and see how often the same tropes are used in ALL stories; look up your favorite story and you’ll likely see a long list of tropes from that story that also appear in a few dozen other stories aswell

and that line does not apply to either Death Note or DragonBall Z, as with those series you are dealing with mostly adults; though i guess to be fair, some of the characters aren’t much older than teens, and some teens to appear later on… And unlike DBZ, that vague line would cover the first dragonball series… and there’s isn’t a lot of world changing in pokemon; just a long endless journey… though their might be some world changing in the movies, never really watched them; though it might just be "world saving" (which is not the same, as it usually means stopping a villain from changing the world and restoring the status quo which means no change)… Granted, i may be being a little nitpicky and outright geeky there(you think its fair to be vague, then i think it’s fair i get picky); but it does make me wonder how well you actually know what you are talking about. Which is common amongst those who make blanket statements

31. jedidethfreak says:

I hope the chick running NCIS: Los Angeles gets written off the show and they make DiNozzo run it.

He was dead when I got here.

32. BearDogg-X says:

Adding to jedi’s post, they’re debuting a spinoff of NCIS called NCIS: Los Angeles this month.

Saints(3-4), LSU(7-0)

33. AbsumZero says:

Apart from the fact that "small groups of teens changes the world" isn’t so much a plot as an incredibly vague and misleading summation (kid finds a notebook that allows him to kill anyone he lists and becomes a malevolent dictator isn’t remotely the same as any Gundam series) you also just listed a small handful of series specifically aimed at adolescent and preadolescent boys that were imported into the U.S.. That’s akin to asking why the plot of all American live-action shows star teens in comic situations and then listing a bunch of shows from the Disney Channel and Nickelodeon.

And again, you’re confusing Tomino with Sunrise.

34. HarmlessBunny says:

Wow I almost purged my head of memories of JAG…or also known as ‘ Navy lawyers are invincible and will always win the day for some reason of strange logic they pull out of their butts at the last second’.

Granted…I used to like it. Too repetitive for my tastes as it got older. However kuddos, you earn +20 HarmlessBunny points.

35. ZippyDSMlee says:

Depends on the show

Code Geass has a good plot a good story and great characters.

Death Note is so so, tries a bit to hard at times.

Gundam, each season has a different set of worlds,fiction and themes, 08th is the best OVA wise while Gundam 00 has a decent plot and great story with decent characters. Gundman seed is generic wank.

Pokemon is a endless adventure kids show with lite drama that pretty much recycles its content via different story’s in the same world every 10 or 20 eps Digimon reinvents itself every other season and the digimon are less pets but friends since they can talk.

I have much mroe tolerance for flaws in anime for plot,story charatcer issues than I do for film and TV mainly becuse the fiction is not watered down for mass dulalred consumpstion like 90% of comic/game,book to film adaptations at least anime dose not always sink to such mindless levels of sticking their dicks in unwanted demographics….. of corse thats changing …god….*shuddeers* Macross frontier was HORRIBLE!!!!

36. jedidethfreak says:

You’re mostly right.  I do take exception to the NCIS comment being related to CSI.  NCIS was a spinoff of JAG, which did the CSI stuff long before CSI was created.

He was dead when I got here.

37. HarmlessBunny says:

Hrm lots of Western Animation have the exact same theme and plot, yet lots of us sit and watch it anyways with out complaining. Hell a lot of T.V shows in general have plots borrowed and recycled and done over and over again ( I am looking at you CSI, CSI Miami, and CSI NY…oh and we can lump House and NCIS in there too, since they do borrow from CSI )

Yeah and I agree Tomino comes off as a total hypocrite as he is still getting tons royalties from Sunrise and Bandai of his work on Mobile Suit Gundam from 1979 to 1993, and from all the offshoot series and games Bandai has been producing since then.

38. Andrew Eisen says:

"I have a question for everyone who likes anime; how can you stomach the fact that many of the plots are the exact same."

Because some of those shows are good.

Andrew Eisen

39. Austin_Lewis says:

I have a question for everyone who likes anime; how can you stomach the fact that many of the plots are the exact same.  ‘Small group of teens changes world’.  That covers Code Geass, Death Note, the end of Dragon Ball Z, nearly every Gundam, and many, MANY, more(like POKEMON).

Having said that, the fact that he thinks video games are evil and a waste of time and electricity after basically creating a hundred spinoffs with basically the same plot blows my mind.

40. AbsumZero says:

This whole article is flawed in that it hinges on the premise that Yoshiyuki Tomino was somehow involved in the creation of the Gundam games or has control over the Gundam rights and agreed to them. He’s not a video-game maker, he’s a director and screenwriter and he doesn’t own the Gundam franchise, he created it under contract for Sunrise. The last Gundam series he had any involvement in was Turn-A and there were numerous series he was excluded from in the UC series as well. You may not agree with him but it’s foolish to call him a hypocrite for his views on video games when he has no control over what Sunrise does with the Gundam property and has never been a proponent of video games.

And seriously, 70 comments and more than half are nothing more than an argument with some ignorant child blatantly looking for attention? That’s pretty sad.

41. Erik says:

Well I like anime, and I’ve liked some of the Gumdam series.  BUT has either anime or Gundam done anything more productive than a video game console?  Nope.  Not a damn thing.  So he needs to get off his high-horse and realize that millions of otaku sucking up electricity on their dvd players really isn’t any more beneficial than games.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

42. ZippyDSMlee says:

People…people….people……. feed the troll much?

DS I luff you man, but let me ask this what moving color picture with sound  do you like? (TV,film,ect)

43. JDKJ says:

If AE’s the "Senior Correspondent," then who’re the junior correspondents? Better yet, who are the other correspondents?

I’m just messin’ wit’ you, AE. You go on ahead an’ get your Senior Correspondent on. I ain’t got nothin’ but love for ya.

44. Bennett Beeny says:

The anime you’ve seen may well suck, but I don’t know what you’ve seen and I’m not defending what you’ve seen.  The likelihood is that what you’ve seen does indeed suck, because most people who aren’t into anime get their opinion of it from what appears on TV – and what’s shown on TV is usually real mindless garbage intended for pre-teens.  Even most of the stuff on the Anime Channel usually sucks.

The anime I’ve seen – the stuff I’ve already mentioned – is for adults, it’s not seen on TV (some of it, like Elfen Lied, probably could not be shown on TV given the restrictions of the studios) and it does not suck.  A reasonable person still may not like it, but a reasonable person who saw it would have to admit that it doesn’t suck.

45. DarkSaber says:

The first Transformers was acceptable, the second was not. Armageddon was utter shite, The Rock was saved by having Sean Connery in it, Bad Boys 1 & 2 were terrible, partly because of Michael Bay, partly because of Will Smith and that other goon.

I certinaly DO expect a Michael Bay film to be bad, but sometimes they can still be entertaining.

46. Bennett Beeny says:

Personally I don’t like Michael Bay movies, but I’m not going to say all his movies are automatically bad – that would be prejudice based on ignorance.  I haven’t seen all his movies, so I can’t say they’re all bad, but Transformers and Armageddon are definitely garbage.

As I said before, some anime critics have a knee-jerk response to anime and don’t care to be educated.  That’s their loss.

47. DarkSaber says:

An idiot like me. Anime sucks and you suck for defending it.

48. Bennett Beeny says:

Only an idiot would make a blanket condemnation of an entire genre based on a very small sampling of the genre.

49. DarkSaber says:

Nope, tha fact that all anime is bad means all anime is bad.

50. HarmlessBunny says:

Granted I didn’t like Akira too much and I avoid Pokemon as much as possible. Stuff like Death Note, Macross, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop hold more of my interest.

51. Bennett Beeny says:

If you haven’t seen any of the following, you may not have seen good anime: Elfen Lied, Haibane Renmei, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Memories, Millennium Actress, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Voices of a Distant Star.  All very different from the usual anime fare.  I would put Azumanga Daioh in there, because it’s quirky and different, but it’s drawn in that traditional anime way, so it might lead folks to think that I’m defending stuff like Pokemon and Inuyasha (which I’m not).

I guess my point is this – yes, there are bad anime, and some of the bad stuff is popular.  But that doesn’t mean all anime is bad.

52. DarkSaber says:

Pffft, pokemon. I’d seen Akira and Vampire Hunter D before I saw Pokemon.

53. Bennett Beeny says:

I think the hate comes from a general belief (of those who haven’t delved deeply into anime) that all anime is variations on Pokemon.  That’s what the average person sees of anime, so that’s what they think it is.  They simply don’t get to see the work of people like Makoto Shinkai, Hayao Miyazaki, Satoshi Kon or Yoshitoshi Abe.  It’s like hating all Hollywood movies based on knowledge of only Michael Bay movies.

The real sad thing that I’ve noticed is that haters of anime don’t ever seem to want to be educated.  They don’t care to learn that anime is a lot bigger than the mainstream fluff.  But I don’t get too upset about it – it’s their loss, not mine.

54. HarmlessBunny says:

Actually I am quite sane (no brain damage), and I do occasionally enjoy anime. Depends on the anime of course. Sadly the original Mobile Suit Gundam has a place in my heart.

Anime is just…a different format. Don’t understand the hate against it.

55. DarkSaber says:

Not to mention the level of brain damage required to actually LIKE anime.

56. ZippyDSMlee says:

I think someone is jealous of the only real competition of anime in japan……after all anime needs every fan to buy 2 or 3 copies at 90$ a 3ep DVD to make a profit….

/B

57. hellfire7885 says:

Hmm, I wonder what he’d say about all the DVD players being used to view media HE created.

By his logic, even if your home is off the grid, on solar or wind power, and you turn on a video game console on electricty generated by renewable, non-polluting sources, you’re contributing to the death of his planet, despite that many, MANY DVDs with media of his creation on them are NOT decomposing in landfills.

58. TK n Happy Ness says:

Did he only say that because the first Gundam game on the PS3 sucked massive balls?

When Jack Thompson runs his mouth, does anyone really care what he has to say anymore?

59. Beacon80 says:

I don’t understand how somebody in the entertainment industry, especially the one behind something as iconic as Gundam, could say something like this.  I just don’t get it.

I’m also going to point out that over the last decade, video games have become increasing social.    Surely that counts for something.

60. ShayGuy says:

Title’s inaccurate — I don’t think Tomino created any video games himself.

I’m actually reminded of some of the sentiments Hideaki Anno expressed regarding the otaku subculture after creating what’s arguably THE otaku anime, Neon Genesis Evangelion. And this was a guy whose roots and whose STUDIO’S roots were deeply embedded in said subculture — which, incidentally, Tomino largely created. (And later there was the fallout from Gurren Lagann episode 4…)

Lord, grant me the strength to finish what I

61. Pixelantes Anonymous says:

It amuses me greatly when people who should know better don’t know jack s***.

He’s taking a VERY narrow view on video gaming, and has absolutely no clue whatsoever about anything else.

My own experiences with video gaming completely destroy his black and white argument.

I’ve played video games for something like 25 years now. I got into the Computer Science department of my College because of video games. My English skills are vastly better than they would be because I had to learn English to understand video games and the manuals (they weren’t translated back in the day).

Because of the path video games put me I was able to move to the US, and I am now working at one of the premiere hedge funds in the world making 5 times as much money as I was when I got out of school. None of this stuff would’ve happened without me playing video games. I grew up in a town with 20% unemployment…the alternative could’ve been very different.

62. DarkSaber says:

Actually I’m quite happy, but thanks for asking!

63. DarkSaber says:

I dopubt enough people would visit to make having comments enabled worthwhile.

64. BrandonL337 says:

Hey, Death Magnetic rocked, sure St. Anger and Re/Load sucked and the Black album was meh but Death Magnetic has some of my favorite songs on there, I personally recommend All Nightmare Long, Cyanide, and My Apocalypse from the new album.  You may reconize All Nightmare Long from the Guitar Hero Metallica commercial

65. HungryHungryHomer says:

Hey, Lay off Time Gal. That game rocked! I still get chills thinking about travelling to 999 A.D.!

66. DarkSaber says:

Halo sucks, Dantes Inferno doesn’t interest me, Tomb Raider has always and will always blow chunks, and the only good Hitman game was Blood Money.

67. mdo7 says:

Since Halo has become a anime.  Other American game may get a anime adaptation.  Dante’s Inferno.  Square Enix took over Eido Interactives and may probably have plan to turn Tomb Raider or hitman into a Japanese anime.  You forgot some game company has expressed intrest of doing anime. It may not happen to you, but you never know.  I can sense some game company may try to do the game into anime thing since Halo is doing it.

68. DarkSaber says:

That and the meth.

69. DarkSaber says:

Apart from the quite large difference where even though I hate it, I’m not saying it should be banned, regulated or censored because I don’t like it.

70. DarkSaber says:

I’m more than happy to knowingly insult my favorite childhood cartoons. But 90s Batman is not among them. And the art style in that series was Art Deco, not Anime.

71. DarkSaber says:

I could try, but it’s anime. It’s not the worth the effort. At least I’m just saying I hate it, not that it should be banned.

72. DarkSaber says:

None of the games I like are becomming anime. Your point fails.

73. DarkSaber says:

Might have been more appropriate to reference Time Gal instead of Night Trap 😛

74. DarkSaber says:

QQ

75. JustChris says:

Really, he’s not different from the game-bashing polticians we grow to hate. He gives superficial reasons to dislike something and then puts in a blanket statement as a fact

76. JustChris says:

"Anime is gay."

I don’t know whether this was all sarcasm, but if it isn’t I wouldn’t want to see it in a community that revolves around promoting the acceptance of some entertainment medium, and the subculture revolving it.

I’m pretty indifferent to anime, but dammit, we can’t claim we hate culture warriors and then go around throwing negative blanket statements about other hobbies/tastes. Just as weirdos like JT and this Tomino guy need to respect the fact that some people play video games for recreation, a few of us have to respect that there are gamers that may like things you do not enjoy.

77. Mad_Scientist says:

To be fair, how much involvement has this guy had in many of the recent Gundam series? Looking at the below linked page on animenewsnetwork, the guy is simply credited as "original creator" or "original concept" for the majority of the Gundam series, which doesn’t really say how much direct involvement he had in them.

78. Mad_Scientist says:

Umn… many, many animes have characters who don’t have big eyes.

In all seriousness, I can’t even tell if you really dislike anime, or if you are just parodying a rabid anime hater.

Do you really hate anime?

79. BearDogg-X says:

Wasn’t him, it was some mentally deficient loser named "Touchdown Graves".

Saints(3-4), LSU(7-0)

80. KayleL says:

Didn’t you start this crap in some other article? Yeah sure, some anime does suck, but that doesn’t mean they all do. Go watch some Miyazaki work. If you like Pixar, then you would like Miyazaki since the Pixar guys are some of the biggest Miyazaki fans around. When ever they have writers block, they watch his films. For an extremely successful movie production company, that says a lot.

Instead of saying that anime is bad because the eyes are too big, or the mouth opens too wide, maybe come up something that really matters such as bad story, too different of a culture, or uninteresting characters. Those are proper responses, but still, you should hate all of anime.

There is one you will like, guaranteed. It’s the matter of which type of stories you like. If you like romance, watch Clannad. If you like comedy, watch Haruhi Suzumiya. If you like physiological thrillers, watch Death Note, etc. It’s the matter of finding what’s right for you.

Anime is a lose term. If means cartoons made by Japanese, then the 90’s Batman animated series could be anime since it was animated by a Japanese company. You could be insulting your favourite childhood cartoon without knowing.

So please, stop bringing up you anime hate here. I would ignore your anime hating in other upcoming gamepolitics articles because this is a ‘game’ website after all.

81. Kincyr says:

because anime is simply an abbreviated pronunciation in Japanese of "animation", thus making it apply to western animation as well. Yes, even Disney movies are defined as anime in Japan. This shows that you’ve done no more research than Jack Thompson.

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

82. hellfire7885 says:

Indeed it has. Of course basing ALL anime off of that is like basing ALL video games off of Night Trap.

83. mdo7 says:

so what would happen if JT and other game haters say they will bash and attack anime next.  Will you side with them, will you hate every video game because of them hating anime. What would happen if your favorite video game became a anime. Does that make that video game evil??

84. DavCube says:

You could at least try giving a reason that I wouldn’t expect to hear from some 12-year-old stereotypical anti-whatever bandwagon. I mean, for the reason you listed… damn, god forbid people from other countries have different drawing techniques.

Your ‘opinions’ seem to only be made simply to incite attention to you. While i may be called out for ‘feeding the troll,’ you’re clearly disrupting the conversation towards your obvious lack of overall thought you put into your posts. "Anime sucks and you suck for defending it?" Seriously, sir? Why not just write "im rait n ur awl rong lololololol." Because that’s pretty much what you’re writing, only… well, legible.

85. Andrew Eisen says:

Well, anime like Gravitation sure is!

All jokes aside though, what anime have you seen?

Andrew Eisen

86. DarkSaber says:

Or for that matter the Saw or Final Destination franchises.

87. jedidethfreak says:

Just because a franchise is successful doesn’t mean it doesn’t suck.  Look at Metallica.  The most successful rock band since the Beatles, and they haven’t released a good album since …And Justice For All.  The fact of the matter is, as you put it, he has the most successful anime franchise for three decades.  When has he done anything with said franchise that hasn’t been done to death?  Gundam has been stagnant forever, and this person is why.  Gundam sucks, and so does he.

He was dead when I got here.

88. DarkSaber says:

Well the non piss-taking answer would have been "I hate everything about it" which is hardly an improvement.

89. HarmlessBunny says:

If that is your reason, so be it. Was hoping for a more intelligent response. However if that is it, very well.

90. DarkSaber says:

Because their eyes are big. Why is that NOT a legitimate reason? Because you don’t want to accept it as such?

91. DarkSaber says:

Anime suck because their eyes are big.

92. HarmlessBunny says:

Don’t understand the hate towards anime, but guess that is your opinion.

Just a different style of animation, we have similar stories and premises over in North America (Exo-Squad, Mechwarrior, GI-Joe anyone? :P) My opinion, depending on the production, Japan can produce a thought provoking and interesting show that captivates the audience very well. Sadly I can’t think of too many in North America (minus Pixar movies) that have managed to do that in recent times.

If you are going to diss anime, sure go for it…but have some thought and reason into why.

I’m tired of the "anime sucks ‘cuz their eyes are big!" mentality.

93. DarkSaber says:

What about a holywood film of a f**king stupid anime?

94. DarkSaber says:

Not quite. I DRIVE the short bus.

95. DarkSaber says:

Fresh from the short bus I take it?

96. hellfire7885 says:

Peter Jackson makes/made movie,s therefore he sucks.

Stan Lee makes/made comic books, therefore he sucks.

Shigeru Miyamoto makes/made video games, therefore he sucks.

Jesse James makes/made motorcycles, therefore he sucks.

It’s not that difficult.

And saying it’s not that difficult, I assume you’ve worked in the industry then.

97. DarkSaber says:

Not as much as liking anime makes you biased.

98. DarkSaber says:

Nope. Anime is gay.

99. DarkSaber says:

He makes/made anime, therefore he sucks, it’s not difficult.

100. Inimical says:

I fail to see how disliking something leads to blaming it on all of the world’s problems.

I don’t like brusselsprouts. Does that mean that one day I’m going to say they are responsible for school shootings and terrorism?

101. StevoUK says:

So what? Video games haven’t been banned, nor has anime.

People (sadly) have the right to spout off about stuff they either know nothing about, or dislike (or both). It’s your call how you want to respond, but you’re way too easy to wind up, dude 🙂

Also, JT is an impotent asshat.

102. DarkSaber says:

Jack Thompson wants games banned/regulated, I hate anime but don’t call for it;s banning/regulation. Yep, deifnitley the new JT. You fucking moron.

103. mdo7 says:

And you’re an example of a new "Jack Thompson" if you continue to hate anime like that. What would happen if anime get blame for school shooting and you decide to join in, you’re be on the same level as Jack Thompson.

104. mdo7 says:

Actually bashing anime is just like attacking a video game. You aren’t aware that anime haters may end up becoming JT and blaming anime on school shooting, terrorism, and something like that.

105. DarkSaber says:

This is the third time you’ve said exactly the same thing, and it is still a perfect example of retardologic ™.

106. mdo7 says:

So that means if JT or any game haters attack anime. You would side with them, you said you hate anime. If they hate anime like you, you would side with them and forgive them for any attack video game they did.  I already met some anime haters that are going to hate video game if more American game became anime.  As of now, Halo and Dante’s Inferno are the only Western game getting anime adaptation.  What if Grand theft Auto get a anime adaptation.  Is GTA evil and should be destroy because they team up with anime company? Come on, Darksaber what if game company really would want their game to become anime, it’s sort of better then live-action movie.

107. StevoUK says:

Time for your pills, son.

Repeat the following with me:

"Just because someone voices a negative opinion about something I like, that does not mean they are commenting negatively about me, or accusing me of anything."

Relax, you’ll live longer.

108. DarkSaber says:

Your logic is fucking stupid.

109. Kincyr says:

Naruto has been blamed for a kid burying his head in a sandbox.

news outlets thought the sand ninjas were main characters and one outlet even called it, and I quote, "Nerutu Sand Ninjas."

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

110. mdo7 says:

@ Darksaber: What if I told you Jack Thompson hated anime as much as you do? Will you side with him.  As a matter of fact, I already met some anime haters threatening to bring back Jack Thompson by any mean including violence because of Halo becoming a anime.  They already put a death to Batman just because it became a anime.  Now what would happen if more video game get anime adaptation like Resistance, Killzone, Ratchet & Clank and something like that.  What if Grand Theft Auto get an anime adaptation? Will you be like JT and attack both video game and anime just because of a game get an anime adaptation?  Will you hate video game because of them getting anime adaptation.  I think you should think about it.

anime and manga got blamed for crime already:

-Deathnote has been blame for a serial killer in Belgium.  It was blamed for people imitating the deathnote notebook which got kids in trouble thinking it was a death threat

-Naruto has been blamed for a kid burying his head in a sandbox.

-In Taiwan, a suspect blame Battle Angel Alita manga for murdering a person.  The press is going along with it.

Now anime haters are hating Halo just because it becoming an anime and has put death threats to Bungie and Microsoft and throwing conspiracy theories about how the anime industry took over the video game industry.  Now Darksaber, what happen if JT and other game haters decide to attack anime and manga next.  Will you forgive them for what they did and hate video game forever?  Will you put JT back as lawyer so you can take down video game and the anime together? Do you want to become the next JT and blame anime for school shooting, and crimes just like how JT blame video game for those? If you decide to hate video game because of anime, you’re no better then Jack Thompson, you’ll become a traitor and hated by the video game community everywhere.  That include all of you anime haters, go ahead I dare all you anime haters to hate video game and side with Jack Thompson. If Halo getting a anime, so will other video game like Tomb Raider, Bioshock, Fallout, Resistance, Killzone, Ratchet & Clank, and things like that.  If you hate anime, then you’ll have to hate video game because this will happen after Halo Legends debuted.

111. DarkSaber says:

Ironically too focused on the ultimate needs of the planet when all he has done is given the planet an ultimately worthless and valueless anime series.

112. DarkSaber says:

Best label to come out of that incident: Narutards.

113. jedidethfreak says:

Actually, that’s doubtful.  Gaming technology is based on computer technology, which is based on advances from military research.

He was dead when I got here.

114. HarmlessBunny says:

I used to have quite a bit of respect for the "Bald Wizard", but perhaps he was off the meds again? He has been noted to suffer severe depression from time to time.

115. mdo7 says:

Wow, As much as I love the Gundam series and probably some of his other work.  I didn’t expect Tomino to say video game are evil.  I think Tomino forgot about SD Gundam G Generation (Which I don’t play, my cousin does) which is a video game expanding the Gundam series.  Did he forgot about Gundam Mousou or Dynasty Warriors: Gundam series also?

116. HarmlessBunny says:

Oh I agree. Passive Entertainment. Not like it makes you want to be a doctor or anything.

-anime haters ignore this-

Gundam Wing was…okay. I enjoyed it as well, but it was a huge rehash of everything before it.

1979 we had the original Gundam 0079 or Mobile Suit Gundam. In the 80’s we had Z Gundam and Gundam ZZ (which is still receiving some hate in Japan for its child like follow up to a dark and adult series like Z Gundam), then we had Char’s Counterattack (more or less the movie finale), and then Tomino made a dismal attempt at creating a new series by making Gundam F91, and then hit gold in 1993 with V-Gundam (Victory Gundam). Though Tomino was noted to suffer bouts of depression and severe anxiety attacks. It was pretty evident in his works which became bleaker and bleaker.

After that he abandoned Gundam pretty much until 1999 with Turn-A Gundam (surprisingly good)

Wtih Tomino pretty much gone from Sunrise/Bandai for awhile. Bandai produced "alternate universe" series: Gundam Wing, G-Gundam, Gundam X, SEED and Seed Destiny were studio made since they had all the rights. Tomino was not involved in anyway, except for his name as the original creator.

He occasionally comes back and does "movie re-makes" of his original series, but that is it.

However the new series Gundam 00 is actually pretty awesome. (again no Tomino involved, but they got it right this time! :D)

117. Monte says:

I’d imagine that Tomino’s argument to defend the gundam franchise would be something along the lines of saying that there is meaning behind the gundam series… like the world would be a little better if people saw the meaning behind the stories and took them to heart… or something like that. Therefore its not "a waste of time"

Though i’m not sure how the countless toys and video games based of the series, that he likely profited from, contribute productively to society

118. Cerabret100 says:

well…yeah, but it’s still passive entertainment that doesn’t provide productivity or anything.

Does that include Gundam Wing? i liked that one when i was younger.

119. Bennett Beeny says:

"I keep pointing my finger and peeing myself laughing at people who try to equate hobbies, entertainment, and activities whose primary purpose is, at the least, to provide pleasure (according to the participant) as having no value to the existance and benefit of the rest of the world."

Exactly what I was thinking.  If the stress relief that goes along with starting up your favourite game doesn’t count as supporting society, I don’t know what does.

It seems to me that many people simply can’t see beyond some sort of materialist profit vs. loss calculation.  In terms of this guy he seems to be too focused on the ultimate needs of the planet and not focused enough on making life on it better for the folks who are here now.  Saving the planet is a great goal, but if it comes at the price of making everyone miserable, maybe it shouldn’t be saved.

120. nightwng2000 says:

These things AREN’T meant to be directly productive to the rest of the world when participated in by one individual.

On the other hand, by presenting the participant with a method of stress relief, something to take one’s mind off the rigors of other important issues and daily life for a short time, one becomes better capable of providing that which is required to benefit one’s self as well as the rest of society.

Without this variety of short term distractions, one could easily succumb to the "workaholic" or "overworked" situations, which present with a number of medical and psychological negatives, which decrease an individual’s ability to perform various tasks, including ones which benefit the rest of society.

So Mr. Tomino is perhaps the "evil" one, as he seems to feel that denying the average individual the distractions needed to cope with the rigors of daily stress will benefit society when, in fact, it has proven to be more harmful.

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as http://groups.myspace.com/pfenl

121. Andrew Eisen says:

Depends on what you’re asking.  Have better video games come along?  Absolutely.  Have better puzzle games come along?  Debatable as most puzzle games have their roots in Tetris’s formula.  Does Puzzle Quest count?  I think it’s a better game but without Tetris it wouldn’t exist.  As for a better puzzle game not based on the formula?  Scribblenaughts looks like a contender but I haven’t played it yet.

Andrew Eisen

122. nighstalker160 says:

Well I gotta agree with him on one point.

Think about it, has anything bested Tetris since it came out?

123. jedidethfreak says:

Well, what does anyone expect?  He was involved in the Gundam series.  If that doesn’t demonstrate how much this guy sucks, I don’t know what would.

He was dead when I got here.

124. State says:

I imagine that he’ll suddenly say that he’s found a solution in his latest game. This all could be a PR exercise ready to promote his next "revolutionary" game.

125. gamegod25 says:

*looks at checklist* Let’s see, killing our planet – drugs, crime, greed, war, religious zealots, unbelievable stupidity…no no that’s not it. Ah! Here it is, video games!.

Seriously this guy is an idiot. Videogames are a hobby, and hobbies are meant to entertain us when we’re NOT working. Not to mention that there aren’t even 10 billion people on the planet, let alone  just gamers.

126. HarmlessBunny says:

I don’t know, Gundam has its charm….if you watched it from 1979 to 1993. Then it just got pants on head retarded.

127. Cerabret100 says:

Same could be said about the Gundem series

128. HarmlessBunny says:

TOMINO said that? Hypocrite! (okay you anti-anime and gundam haters you can ignore what is going to be written next)

In the 1980’s Tomino, while reeling from the success of Mobile Suit Gundam and Z Gundam (two very intelligent shows at the time) was suffering from depression and anxiety. He was also struggling to be taken seriously as an artist at the time. He was one that supported all media and said if you look upon lightly on one form, you discredit for the rest. Hell in the 1990’s he was interested how internet and electronic media were going to change all media forever. Stating once that even games were starting to have better animation and thought than some big movie productions and television shows.

Fast foward nearly 20-30 years later, he is considered a legend (even though he hasn’t really had a good hit series in years). He then starts bashing video games as evil? Guess the old "Bald Wizard" has finally lost his touch. A shame. In the 80’s this guy was really cool.

Comments are closed.