Obama To Mention Xbox in Controversial Speech to Students

Amid protests and counter-protests, President Barack Obama will deliver a 20-minute speech on the value of education to America’s students this morning.

The Back to School event has been banned from some school districts whose managers are apparently being influenced by the squeaky wheels among the anti-Obama crowd.

In any case, the White House has pre-published the text of the Prez’s speech. And, once again, Obama will reference video games – specifically the Xbox:

I’ve talked about your teachers’ responsibility for inspiring you, and pushing you to learn.

I’ve talked about your parents’ responsibility for making sure you stay on track, and get your homework done, and don’t spend every waking hour in front of the TV or with that Xbox.

I’ve talked a lot about your government’s responsibility for setting high standards, supporting teachers and principals, and turning around schools that aren’t working where students aren’t getting the opportunities they deserve.

But at the end of the day, we can have the most dedicated teachers, the most supportive parents, and the best schools in the world – and none of it will matter unless all of you fulfill your responsibilities. Unless you show up to those schools; pay attention to those teachers; listen to your parents, grandparents and other adults; and put in the hard work it takes to succeed…

199 comments

JDKJ says:

Pointing out the distinctions, whether subtle or broad, between political ideologies to some people is a waste of your time. They ain’t never gonna get it.

Craig R. says:

"pointing out that Naziism was the National SOCIALIST movement"

And that means jack squat. After all, North Korea is officially the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea. How much democracy and republic have they got?

That’s not even getting into the little problem that Fascism and Communism are about as far apart on the political spectrum as you can get.

jedidethfreak says:

Don’t forget, though, that the non-partisan CBO says two-thirds of the deficit was made by Obama.  You’re right, that most Republicans shouldn’t be throwing stones, but Obama’s been spending way more money.

MrKlorox says:

This. The talking heads read the script and the puppets that watch regurgitate the nonsense. These aren’t actual thinking humans we’re talking about here. The universe simply doesn’t have enough RAM to emulate free thought.

MrKlorox says:

Nope. I use my computer’s monitor. My TV is a shitty SD one.

But I get your point and don’t entirely disagree with it. He should have said videogames to include portable as well as desktop gaming… but that wouldn’t have been nearly as fun or controversial.

Austin_Lewis says:

I haven’t seen anyone calling Obama Hitler on the radio or news of late.  I’ve heard that some talk-show hosts have been likening his policies to those of Hitler, pointing out that Naziism was the National SOCIALIST movement and the like, but a lot of that was in direct responce to Nancy Pelosi calling those who stood up to her and her cronies ‘Nazis carrying swastikas’.

Oh, and there seems to be a lot less likening than there was last year.  Once again, a lovely double standard.

Baruch_S says:

And what do you mean by "number"? I remember seeing the same woman calling the president Hitler on every newscast for a week, but I only ever saw her. I have the suspicion that there are relatively few people calling the president Hitler; they’re just the more interesting story and would help support the generally liberal slant of most media outlets.

jkdjr25 says:

You have seen the number of people calling and likening the President to Hitler right? And that most of them seem to be fans of certain talk radio personalities? I’m sure that’s all a coincidence but there it is none the less.

jkdjr25 says:

…….

I think the point was that the same Republicans screaming about spending now are the same people who never once said where the money was coming from for their own out of control spending. That includes fighting two wars, prescription drugs, and the tax cuts. All that money has to come from somewhere and to have a President, like Bush, who never met a spending bill he didn’t like, makes their cries of foul seem rather insipid.

jedidethfreak says:

Nobody got their asses kicked.  The speech was posted on the internet yesterday.  The contents were no suprise to anyone who was interested enough in the speech to read it.

Again, the controversy wasn’t over the speech.  It was over the lesson plan that was supposed to accompany it.

jedidethfreak says:

Read my post up above.  The controversy was over the proposed lesson plan to go with his speech, asking students to cite how they were going to help the President pass his policies.  This borders on indoctrination, and I doubt any parent would think that’s okay.  Now, as I stated above, I have no problem with the speech itself, and the lesson plan was scrapped, so I say No Harm No Foul.  However, ignorant people seem to think that the only reason people would disagree with the President is that they are racist, or that they are un-American Nazis (to quote Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi).  I seem to remember a lot of these people very vocal against another President with whom they disagreed, and called it their right to protest.

jedidethfreak says:

No, I attack people who don’t make any sense, much like DarkSaber made no sense complaining about funding a military during a war, and much like claiming I attacked someone when I clearly didn’t.

mdo7 says:

I saw the speech at noon from at home on CNN.  I miss the part where he mention the Xbox.  But I know he’s not a game hater.  He just telling kids to limit the time on video game and spend more time on studying.  I liked his speech when I saw it.  Those people who didn;t want their kids watching the speech miss out a lot, and they worried Obama tell them to get involved with politics which he never did for this speech.  At least the Conservatives just got their ass shot down when they found out Obama never threw any politics in his speech.

I Praise you Mr. President for your encouragement to get kids to stay in school and get good grade.

Austin_Lewis says:

Which Oregon trail?  Because I heard that the fifth one took out the fun of hunting altogether and that it basically turned into ‘click the hunting, random number generator, you return with X lbs of (bear/deer/whatever) meat’.  But that game was awesome.

vellocet says:

I dunno.  I think that it’s a post that every child aspires to.  I remember thinking that one day I would be President of the United States (even though I’m canadian).  As a child, it’s known to be the most powerful position in the world and probably holds some clout.

It’s just like when a child listens to a favourite athlete speak.

jedidethfreak says:

If Barrack Obama didn’t bring up the Xbox every chance he gets as a reason that Americans are fat and stupid, they wouldn’t have to.

DarkSaber says:

And you have all the charm, wit and intellect of Jayne Mansfield AFTER the accident.

jedidethfreak says:

Did I say you were?  I don’t recall mentioning your name in my post.  Maybe you don’t know how to read, becasue I mention how "a lot of" those oposed to Bush’s military spending are also "some" of those who had a problem with going into Afghanistan and Iraq with an unfunded military.  And before anyone tells me to cite my source, just look up two posts.  Read it.  Actually read it.  Nowhere did I type "DarkSaber" or say that darksaber was, in anyway the person I was eluding to.

JDKJ may be a dick, but you’re an illiterate retard.

DarkSaber says:

I’ve been playing Oregan Trail all week. And also, you seem to be the only one who thinks GPers think games have large amounts of academic value. We know what games are, entertainment, not a smegging school textbook. All we tend to say is there is the POTENTIAL for games to be academic, not that they ARE academic.

Thomas P. says:

Obama chose Xbox because it rings a bell with most people as being a video game console.  When he says this, he’s refering to ALL video games.

Nothing wrong with telling kids to put down the controller and pickup a pencil.  When I was still in school that was the way it was ran, work before play.  Despite what many GPers think, most forms of media provide little academic value.  This doesn’t mean video games are bad, but games are a form of entertainment just like TV, movies, etc.

(Before you call me out saying "video games can be academic", tell me the last time you played one of these games.)

DarkSaber says:

I wasn’t one of them. Boy your brain damage is REALLY giving you trouble today huh.

jedidethfreak says:

Yeah, because, you know, we weren’t, like, fighting a WAR, or anything…  Military spending was SOOOO unnecessary under President Bush’s presidency.

/sarcasm

I love how a lot of people who have a problem with Bush’s military spending are some of the same ones who said we shouldn’t have gone to war because our military wasn’t properly funded.

DarkSaber says:

If kids aren’t gonna listen to their parents or teachers, what makes Obama think they will listen to him? Ego?

The kids are just gonna see a guy in a suit called ‘the president’ saying "Blahblah! blahblahblah? blah blahblah blah! blah." And wonder when they can go to the toilet.

Karsten Aaen says:

You all seem to have forgotten this quite from JFK: ‘Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do your country’. This is indeed, as I see it, a a request, a call for or an encouragement for each individual to be part of a greather whole, e.g. a social community – being made up of all the U.S. Citizens in the US (and abroad as well).

As for Obama’s message as I teacher I’m all for it; homework and work for school has to come first, then as a reward (maybe) the children can get to play Xbox 360, Wii, PC, PS3 or DS or whatever. Parents need again to do something that’s very old and tried; parenting.

As for the economy, if children in the don’t soon get a much better education, then I predict the US will fail as a nation. Attention really needs to be given education, education and education. And then we can play videogames – unless, of course, we study them in school :)

chadachada321 says:

Dammit, you beat me to the punch. I was gonna say, they’re definitely doing stuff about the economy. As if it could get any worse, heh.

Vake Xeacons says:

You know what my biggest problem is?

This is ALL Obama ever talks about: "Turn off your games and get back to your homework!"

There’s bigger problems to worry about, like, oh I dunno…

THE ECONOMY!!!

Maybe everyone should give up their school and find a job?

Kris says:

I wanted to say something about this too.

I undestand that this site reports any instance of video games relating to politics.  But I feel that continuously bringing up and pointing out something like this is generating paranoia about a problem that doesn’t exist.

nighstalker160 says:

Dennis;

With respect, does this really qualify as news? So he tells kids not spend all their time playing Xbox, I’m with him on that one. I really don’t see this as him using video games as a "metaphor for underachievment."

As for the general issue regarding the speech. To the "indoctrination" crowd, have you read the speech? If not, don’t talk you really have no basis for claiming anything unless you can point to specific passages.

For those who say the speech wasn’t always this "bland." I presume you have a first draft that you can submit for us to look over? If not, well then stop speculating.

As for the lesson plan. Really? Seriously? Given the context of the speech, which is what the kids would be exposed to. Explain to me how the original "Write letters to yourselves talking about how you can help President Obama" is bad.

Remember, these kids are being exposed TO THIS SPEECH. They are going to be writing letters in the context of THIS SPEECH. They are not going to be writing letters in the context of universal health care or anything like that.

And I leave you with this one quote from a anti-healthcare protestor.

"Keep your government hands off my medicare!"

Yeah, I think talking about education is a good thing.

jedidethfreak says:

I didn’t complain about anyone attacking me in this particular thread line until you did just that.  You can’t say somebody’s name with a negative comment about them afterward without it being an attack, considering your comment didn’t bring anything useful to the argument itself.

jedidethfreak says:

No.  In my world, saying I said something in a post that isn’t there so that you can attack me personally means you can’t read and are attacking me.

DarkSaber says:

Or a decent responsible human being out of a politician.

JDKJ says:

And some made it clear that an education from Yale ain’t everything it’s claimed to be. Or, conversely, is wasted on some folk because you just can’t make an Albert Einstein out of a Bonobo monkey.

DarkSaber says:

"That basically leaves him the option of preaching from on high, which he loves."

Just like most other politicians. I love the way you keep making these statements like Obama is the only poiltician evar to do them.

DarkSaber says:

Yet by the time anyone replied, it was already there, so to all intents and purposes, no, it was not ignored.

Flamespeak says:

"I reply to people with an intelligence level to match their own"

If you are trying to belittle the mental prowess of others, please ensure your own posts are free of dialog that would lead others to believe you are lacking in said mental prowess.

jedidethfreak says:

Typical response here.  Can’t argue with what’s being discussed, so you’ll respond with childish remarks that only prove how stupid you really are.

DarkSaber says:

I reply to people with an intelligence level to match their own, so with that said:

Go stick an egg up your nose. Come on little monkey, dance. Dance for my amusement and I may give you a peanut.

DarkSaber says:

And just because you type doesn’t make you intelligent.

jedidethfreak says:

Then why are you here?  Obviously, by this particular comment, you are either too immature to be discussing politics with any particular amount of informed opinion, or you’re just not intelligent enough to make a witty comeback.

jedidethfreak says:

Well, by your own comment, Obama can do what Bush did because Bush did it.  You had a problem with Bush doing it.  That’s blatan hypocrisy.  Just because you don’t like Obama doesn’t mean it isn’t hypocrisy.

DarkSaber says:

And it’s blatantly obvious that you have jumped straight in without reading (or possibly just not understanding what you read in) this comments section, because I think Obama is a dick. Like all politicians.

Was that simple enough for you, or do you need help with the longer words?

jedidethfreak says:

Any time something controversial happened under President Bush, the liberals in this country shouted that it had to be him.  Now, the shoe’s on the other foot.  So what is it?  Is it all the President’s fault, or not?  It can’t be one way for one president and the other for the next.

jedidethfreak says:

So, since you don’t like President Bush, you’re going to give Obama a free pass to do things that are exactly the same – if not worse – than him?

Your hipocrisy is blatantly obvious.

DarkSaber says:

Not really, seems about par for the course for most governments.

DarkSaber says:

Yes, because no other government in the history of ever has ever engaged in less than smart PR work.

Kris says:

Sounds like someone in the PR department made a really stupid decision and should probably be fired for typing it up like that.  You can’t pin every little thing on Obama, because he’s got a huge staff to do that kind of shit for him.  It’s possible he approved it, but if it were me, and someone came in saying "Hey yeah I’ve got this summary thing to put out for your speech," I’d probably just go "Yeah, just put up whatever, Iran is building nukes, I’m busy."

Austin_Lewis says:

There’s a difference between ‘help the president’ and ‘help the war effort’.  One suggests we need to help the head of the government get his way, and the other suggests we need to help the thousands of servicemen who need guns, helmets, etc. get equipment.  It was considered patriotic to do what was best for your COUNTRY, not for the individual at the top.

Austin_Lewis says:

I can’t remember Reagan’s speech, and unlike Bush’s library, his is hard to navigate via the internet.  So I didn’t speak on it.  But I can tell you that Reagan didn’t send out a lesson plan saying ‘make the kids read about Reagan, watch his movies, and read his autobiographies, and discuss how you can help Reagan reach his goals’.  If anyone can find his actual speech, that’d be great.

jkdjr25 says:

I feel the need to point out that asking how we can help the President is nothing new. As a matter of fact it happened in WW2 when the government asked kids to help the war effort by collecting tinfoil, and the like. At the time it was considered patirotic to want to help the President, so why the shift in opinion?

Simple. It’s not their guy who is in office at the moment.

Zero Beat says:

"The people aren’t here to serve Obama, he’s here to serve us, and he apparently doesn’t understand that."

Most politicians don’t get that.  They think we elect them to be kings when they’re supposed to be instruments of our will.

"That’s not ironic. That’s justice."

Lou says:

You forgot Reagan when he started to talk about tax reduction and domestic policies. Yeah that might of excaped your mind.

Good thing the Obama administration took off that stupid lesson plan. If a kid really wants to write the president he/she should do it on their own and not being told to by the prez or being forced by their ignorant parents.

Austin_Lewis says:

Sadly, about 4 hours after I read the original LESSON PLAN (not speech, this was the government-issued ‘suggested lesson plan for how to prep kids from K-6, with a seperate one from 7-12) on DocStoc, it was replaced with error messages.  A few hours later, a new lesson plan was on the same website, with a lot of the ‘how can you help Obama’ shit toned down.  This was, of course, after the public caught wind and raised holy hell.  However, I’m more than happy to provide you with Version 2.0, available here http://www.docstoc.com/docs/10582301/President-Obama%27s-Address-to-Students-Across-America-September-8-2009

I know we’re on 3.0 at least now (they just added in ‘how can education help reach YOUR goals, instead of asking how you can help the president reach HIS goals).  Originally, for example, the first bullet point suggested that teachers either assign kids books written by or about Barack Obama, or that they read the books to them during class time (and seeing as the 2 books he wrote are as narcissistic and full of shit as JT’s book, that seems like a great way to waste valuable education time).  There are a lot of other changes between the original and the one I reposted.  The whole thing has taught me a lesson though; screencap ridiculous things.

By the way, for everyone saying that Bush Sr. did the same thing, yes, he did, except his didn’t start out as a politicized message, and the speech can be seen at the presidential library for Bush Sr.  Oh, but there was still an outcry.  It just happened afterwards http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/When-Bush-spoke-to-students-Democrats-investigated-held-hearings-57694347.html

JB says:

"The original lesson plan the Whitehouse sent out didn’t make any mention of education …(snip) …he had a lesson plan that read like something out of Cuba, Saddam’s Iraq, or Hitler’s Germany."

Ha! Really? You should post a link to the original speech or just post the speech itself. I would like to read that to see how much they changed.

jedidethfreak says:

I’m not saying there is anything sinister about it, but it does sound weird, no?  I mean, it would be like Bush winning his last election, then coming out against the military for any percieved wrongdoing upon them.

You leave with who brought you.

MrKlorox says:

Again, the terminology was used because it’s the main one people recognize as a fangled vidja gamin machine. If this were 1999, he would have used PS2 by saying "Playstation." There’s nothing sinister about it.

jedidethfreak says:

It sure did help, seeing as how he didn’t win by a large margin.  You missed the point, however.  Obama has been mentioning the Xbox in particular when he makes a speech telling people to limit their gaming.  I personally think that’s a low blow since they openly supported his candidacy with the XBL ads.

Ashkihyena says:

Pretty much this.  I’m just glad I didn’t see any of those Obama billboards in my Burnout game, I’d spend all my time trying to crash my car into them.

JDKJ says:

Perhaps the microbe that spreads the disease of presumptuous attitudes when it comes to potential, alleged racism among minorities is a long-standing history of victimization by actual, substantiated racism.

jedidethfreak says:

And, with 1600 other insurance companies to compete with, all someone would have to do is continue to charge the same rate while everyone else raises theirs.  They get all the business while the other ones collapse because they have no customers.

Do you really think that all 1600 companies are going to raise their prices to the exact same level at the exact same time?  Supply and demand, my friend.  There aren’t enough uninsured in this country for that kind of a raise in prices.

Austin_Lewis says:

Hey, did you also notice that he only talked to HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS?

From the Speech: As you know, my remarks are being broadcast live over radio and television to high school students throughout the country.

So, he wasn’t forcing students to follow some ‘lesson plan’, he wasn’t telling people what to get out of his speech, and he didn’t talk about his policies in any more than a passing way, telling them basically the STATE OF THE NATION.

On the other hand, Obama’s speech started out with all the fixins for a politicized piece that our narcissist president loves so much, and, because he was called on his bullshit, ended up much more innocent, although a complete and utter waste of class time.

MrKlorox says:

It seems entirely speculation at this point. To me it looked like he was "a typical" racially offended minority at first until he (either had it explained to him or) realized his emotional response was not the rational, logical one (as they rarely tend to be). There is a social ‘disease’ spread between minorities that results in presumptuous attitudes when it comes to potential, alleged racism.

Then again perhaps it’s not only limited to minorities, from reading some of these responses.

Flamespeak says:

Lunch =/= Education

I do not support either president’s actions of spending money to address the youth, but I am not going to throw stones at one for something he didn’t do either. I don’t support the address to the youth because it is a fool’s errand. No child will hear the speech and say, ‘Golly! I just need to do what this guy says and I will be alright.’

I would love for a politician to stand up and say plain and simple, ‘The bulk of you aren’t going to amount to much in this world. You will work a menial job and barely get by, that is the cold hard truth of it. You could be the smartest in your class and still be a stock boy at Wal-mart or you might be dumb as a rock and land a job as the ‘gifted’ kid’s supervisor.  The simple truth is you need this education to get even the most basic of jobs to survive in Today’s society. Do yourself a favor and stay in school so you aren’t starving on the street or turning tricks for blow.’

I would vote for that guy.

jkdjr25 says:

And apparently you know nothing about insurance, as opposed to my Mom who worked for a company that had to make sure that insurance companies weren’t in violation of Michigan law. She’s got a lot of first hand knowledge of just how crooked businesses like AIG really are.

If a federal law comes into effect that would allow people to buy over state lines then everyone’s rates would go up. The reason for this is that insurance companies would no longer have to set their prices on a state by state level. They could create a national rate AND offer less coverage because they would no longer be constrained by state by state laws regarding coverage. A national policy would be enacted that would very likely offer less then what people are getting now. If you honestly believe that insurance companies wouldn’t do something that underhanded then I have a bridge in Brooklyn I’d like to sell you because apparently you’ll buy anything.

Mr.Pat says:

Its still a cut regarding education, regardless of what part it came from, but good on you for trying to justify his actions while condemning the current guy’s. There’s no double standard there at all.

Austin_Lewis says:

I think you’re missing my point.  After RECORD spending in a recession, Obama decides to waste money producing a video.

Also, he didn’t ‘cut school funds’. He cut back on free lunches.  BIG difference.

Austin_Lewis says:

Did he think he was wrong?  Or did he realize what he had done pissed the American people off?  That’s the thing; Obama tends to piss the people off first, and then backtrack later.

jedidethfreak says:

Do you not watch the news?  Senator Baucus’ proposed plan to pay for Obamacare calls for an 8% payroll tax on any business with fewer than 250 employees, meaning they have to pay the government an amount equal to 8% of what they pay their employees for tha year.  You tell me, as a small business owner, that this wouldn’t be detrimental to your business?  If that’s the case, you have a very, VERY lucrative business, doing much better than anyone I know that runs a small business.  And, no, not "most of" the deficit is from Bush.  The CBO says that Obama is spending more money since he’s been in office than Bush did over his last two years as president.  You know, the Congressional Budget Office, that politically unbiased organization of our government that determines how much money we spend.

As far as no substance to the claims, what substance is there to the claim that the only reason anyone could disagree with the President is because they’re racist?

MrKlorox says:

Yeah. HOW DARE he realize he’s wrong and admit mistake. What a jerk!

One of the things I both liked and hated most about Bush was his "Fuck you, I’m a Texan" attitude.

Mr.Pat says:

I think you’re missing the point here – the complaints were that Bush Sr. made a speech telling kids to stay in school after cutting school funds.

How is it that that is fine and dandy to you, but providing optional lesson plans is wasteful and wicked?

Or are you just dodging the point again because it makes a republican look bad?

Austin_Lewis says:

Can we talk about the CBO’s point that over the first 2 years of his presidency, Obama will rack up 3.08 TRILLION in deficit spending?  And that he did this after years of claiming all of Bush’s spending was ‘wasteful’ and that it would be an ‘undue strain upon future generations’, that our children and grandchildren would pay for? Yes, Bush increased the deficit.  But NOWHERE NEAR as fast as Obama did. Oh, and as a small business owner as well, let me just say, we’ll be seeing the tax increase soon, believe it.

Lou says:

Wow, where did you came up with this? Oh yeah the neo-cons. I guess you don’t remember that most OF the deficit in the next ten years is also inherited from the old administration. Oh gee I guess you don’t remember that. So let’s blame Obama like he the first president to sit in office. Grow up junior Bush racked up our deficit like Paris Hilton with an American Express Gold card and nobody wants to notice it. Obama comes out with a policy and all if a sudden "Small business are gonna pay for the deficit" and by god let’s not forget "Our children in inherit this deficit". Gimme a break. Oh and I am a small business owner and I have yet to see the so called tax hikes you are suggesting on your post.

In short you just proved my point, republican president throws money like crazy and everyone applauds, democrat president throws money around OH DEAR GOD WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!?! and "queue the lunatics" I am conservative but I am a rational person as well. I have true and genuine disagreements with some of his policies but that doesn’t mean that I don’t have respect for the man.

I want and love constructive debates about things that affect our nation as a whole. But when someone comes with the same garbage over and over again that has been used by democrats and republicans alike and if there is no subatance to their claims it’s very hard to give them some merit.

Mr.Pat says:

From your article you linked:

The National Education Association denounced the speech, saying it "cannot endorse a president who spends $26,000 of taxpayers’ money on a staged media event at Alice Deal Junior High School in Washington, D.C. — while cutting school lunch funds for our neediest youngsters."

Do you really think there’s no grounds for people to complain about that?

Austin_Lewis says:

How much do you think Obama’s speech cost?  Probably relatively the same.  The difference is that the democrats, after a wave of spending the likes of which this country has NEVER seen, don’t seem to care about wasting money for Obama to stage a speech, so, of course, there will be no ‘investigation’ into the whole thing.  Oh, and unlike Obama, H. W. Bush didn’t send out lesson plans, which surely added to the budget for this speech.  Oh, and that lesson plan has been revised AT LEAST 3 times, so, you know, more of a waste of time and money for a government already wasting enough of both.

jedidethfreak says:

Yep, because the only reason anyone could have a problem with the Obama white house is because they’re racist.  I couldn’t have anything to do with a projected 3 trillion dollar deficit over the next ten years due to his policies, which cannot be paid for.  I couldn’t have anything to do with his attempt to pay for his policies being carried by small businesses around our nation.  It couldn’t have anything to do with him wanting to take over industries in this nation instead of finding simpler, cheaper and more effective solutions involving the free market.  It couldn’t have anything to do with him hiring people that are professed racists and sexists.

Oh, thank you for bringing this up.  I’m so glad that you have openned my eyes.  It was right in front of me, but I never saw.  I thought all those other complaints might have actually had merit.

jedidethfreak says:

Apparently, you don’t know dick about capitalism.  In Minnesota, there are only four companies that offer medical insurance.  You really think I’d pay more if they had to compeet with 1,600 other insurance companies?  Competition only LOWERS prices.  That’s the whole argument for a public option, being that it would create competition, forcing insurance companies to lower insurance rates.  It probably would work, but nowhere near as much as having to compete with 1,600 other insurance companies.

As for a decrease in coverage, that’s because of the proposed tax on insurance companies for all of their most expensive plans offered.  A tax proposed by Democratic Senator Baucus.  Not a Republican in sight.

Lou says:

Let me put this a little better.

The controversy was created because the ignorant right-wing created it. Seriously does anyone with a straight mind can come up with a feasable complaint about the speech. Other than the lesson plan there was nothing else to complain about.

I have said this once and I will repeat it again. The neo-cons are not against Obama’s policies or the democrats as a party, they just pissed off because a black man is in the white house and their party got creamed in 08. How can you explain their vocabulary?? Listen to the talk show hosts and their blabbering. Hell even Glenn Beck made my jaw drop with so much crap he came out with those whacked out theories crica The DaVincci Code.

No matter how much they’ll try to cover it, their true colors shine through. As a conservative myself I am so ashamed that I renounced my membership to the party (last April) and as an american I am outraged and appauled that unexcusable behaviors like this are still present.

jkdjr25 says:

I’d like to take a moment to call horse crap.

Yes there are charities that help children, however it’s not just children who can’t get health insurance and THAT is the problem. You’re quite correct that hospitals are required to give necessary care but what people like you fail to realize is that hospitals have a group of people called bill collectors. They call and send letters repeatedly asking for payment, even when a person can’t afford to pay the bill. I know because I’m in that situation now.

The point about reforming health insurance is making sure everyone is covered as health care should be a right not a privilege. The republican "plan", or the talking points that they want covered do nothing but help corporations and not the people that they represent. Buying across state lines would only raise everyone’s rates because companies would increase said rates to those that would reflect what they charge in states where they can charge more. You would also see a decrease in what they would cover because they would try and make sure that you’d get as little coverage as possible. Thus people would end up paying more for less.

There’s also the problem of tort reform. Now I think most people can agree that trying to put the kibosh on truly frivolous lawsuits would be a good thing. However the typical republican methodology is to make it harder to sue for ANY reason and that’s not good at all.

Something does have to be done to help people who can’t get health insurance, because not all of those people qualify for medicaid.

JB says:

You must have really hated JFK’s inaugural address when he said, "And so my fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country."

Austin_Lewis says:

Yeah, he’s a dick.  I haven’t seen one film he’s released yet that hasn’t been debunked thoroughly by the end of the year.  Hell, Bowling for Columbine was a great example of what an asshole can do with a lot of time to edit a film.

DarkSaber says:

Well that’s something that needs fixing. What makes a kid so f***ing special?

DarkSaber says:

I meant "Like Michael Moore did to Bush", to highlight that "screaming about how indecisive, not ready for the job, etc said president is."isn;t limited to the Republican side of things. I also dislike the fat, smug know-it-all piece of crap.

JB says:

And Billy’s mother can be thankful she has $200,000 laying around to pay for Billy’s treatment… but she doesn’t… But at least she can file for bankruptcy while she’s harrased by the hospital’s creditors. No pain no gain, right? Charities never/rarely have enough money to help everyone they need to.

Sukasa says:

Probably true, but I reckon if a non republican/consertaive president was to do the same, conservatives/republicans would be screaming about how indecisive, not ready for the job, etc said president is.

DarkSaber says:

AAAHAHAAA, You STILL treat the Daily Fail as a reputable source!

Austin_Lewis says:

And that’s great for the schools.  My problem is with the federal government trying to push a lesson plan and pushing for schools to have kids watch it and then talk about the ‘great leader’.

Austin_Lewis says:

If a Republican was going to push a political agenda on my child and ask them how they can ‘pledge to help (president here) or ‘help McCain achieve his goals’?  You bet your ass I would.  Schools are politicized enough already, we don’t need more of that from the president.

Austin_Lewis says:

Are these the same first world countries where women can’t get medication to treat osteoporosis?

Billy can be thankful he lives in the country with the highest cancer survival rate.  Of course, this may be in part due to the fact that Billy won’t have to wait for up to 18 months to get that Bone Marrow Transplant he’ll need.

Kris says:

Well, they’re not even being forced to watch this.  And many schools are just making it an option.  Some local schools where I live aren’t showing it in class, but are posting it up on their lesson/grade/online something-or-other school website so the kids can watch it if they want.

Sukasa says:

How to reach his goals, lol?  I don’t know about that, and no offense but most kids won’t know anything about political issues and the answers to them (some adults dont either for that matter), so I doubt they could even answer the question, but I don’t see anything wrong with how can you help the president and this country if I was asked as a student. I would likely answer that I can help this country and the president by doing my best in school, study hard, respect my parents, be good to my little sister, etc. No biggie there.  I don’t see the big controversy, but then again if these nuts are really afraid of little johnie being brainwashed in school, they probably should pull them out of said school and I guess they can always just have him read the bible for an "education".  I do wonder if a republican was in office and he was giving a similar speech to kids, would yall be pulling your kids out?

DarkSaber says:

Of course, most first world countries don’t NEED charities to pay for little Billies leukemia treatment,, but I guess that’s too unamerican.

Austin_Lewis says:

Surely it takes a moment to process that 3000 people and 2 of America’s landmark buildings were destroyed, and to think about what the next step should be.  I know I’d have probably stopped for a minute or two to ponder such things.

Austin_Lewis says:

Al-Qaeda was.  However, the Taliban has always been on good terms with OBL, thus the reason he was believed (correctly) to be hiding in Afghanistan. Osama was often a guest of the Taliban in the years since he played a role in the fight in Mogadishu.

Austin_Lewis says:

Children already get free healthcare in some states.  Aside from that, no hospital will refuse someone a necessary procedure.  There are, also, all sorts of lovely charities that will pay for little Billy Smith to get leukemia treatment, in exchange for him maybe starring in a commercial at most.

DarkSaber says:

Americans have never been ones to let things like child welfare get in the way of capitalism. GIVE a childs parent medication? F**K THAT SHIT! SELL the parent the medication, now we’re talking!

Arell says:

It’s funny, since many of the things you’ve been saying sound made up to me.  This "original" speech sounds like something the Conservative talking heads made up to scare otehr conservatives and increase ratings.

JB says:

"… our nation’s children would be in class hearing about how Obama wants our kids to get free healthcare."

Wait! This is gonna go off topic but you don’t think children deserve free health care? You really don’t want five year old Billy Smith to get treatment for leukemia because his mother’s job as a receptionist doesn’t offer medical benefits and she doesn’t have a house to put up for a second mortgage?

So if a child’s parents can’t afford insurance then that child doesn’t deserve medical care? Please tell me you/American’s are not that selfish.

Austin_Lewis says:

I guarantee Obama’s response would have been nearly the same, except instead of fighting the Taliban, he’d have wanted to sit down and talk with their leaders.

JDKJ says:

Frankly, I could give a rat’s ass how you responded. You ain’t the Commader-in-Chief and, therefore, ain’t under any particular obligation to respond in any way at all. Unlike Bush.

JDKJ says:

"Fool me once, shame on . . . shame on you. Fool me . . . you can’t get fooled again" – George W. Bush

By the end of that crap, he sounds like he’s resorted to quoting the Who.

Austin_Lewis says:

At least he wouldn’t be trying to push his agenda on kids like he was this time around.  But hey, tell me how well you respond the next time something catastrophic like that occurs.  Hell, I remember that I spent the whole day on the phone seeing if my dad was dead or not.  I remember seeing dozens of people crowded around the television, doing nothing but watching for horus on end.  That night people were crowded into my basement watching TV.  9/11 was a day when the nation stopped for a while.

jedidethfreak says:

I can only imagine how this would turn out –

Obama:  Mr. Bin Laden, I’m glad I can take this opportunity to try to find a middle ground between our peoples.

Bin Laden:  DEATH TO AMERICA!!!

O:  Please, sit down and have a non-alcoholic beverage with me.

BL:  DEATH TO AMERICA!!!

O:  So, I was wondering if there was any way that we could move beyond the postering and attempt to maintain a dialogue.

BL:  DEATH TO AMERICA!!!  ALLAH AKHBAR!!!

[At this point, one of Bin Laden’s lackeys would blow himself up, killing the President, as the US President, regardless of his political leanings, would be too good of a target to pass up.]

JDKJ says:

Maybe instead Obama should read "My Pet Goat" with a dumb-ass look on his face while the nation comes under terrorist attack? Then segue into a long, awkward silence while he feverishly wishes one of his Daddy’s buddies would hurry up and tell him what to do?

DarkSaber says:

He did a lot more than mispronounce a few words, as well you know. THere are whole websites dedicated to ‘Bushisms’.

"I’ll be long gone before some smart person ever figures out what happened inside this Oval Office." –George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., May 12, 2008

Austin_Lewis says:

There’s a difference between mispronunciation (or in some cases making words up) and having to change your message because what you said to the people was so offensive or stupid.  Obama has to do that repeatedly.  A great example is the whole Henry L. Gates thing, when he suggested it was racism at work instead of saying ‘well, I don’t know all the facts, so I won’t make a judgment’.

Obama’s administration seems to repeatedly word things in a very interesting way (the kind of wording you’d expect in, say, the USSR), and then have to ‘edit’ the comments after the fact.

Austin_Lewis says:

Wait, what’s this?  http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/When-Bush-spoke-to-students-Democrats-investigated-held-hearings-57694347.html

My goodness.  Oh, and Bush/Clinton/Bush didn’t issue ‘lesson plans’ asking the teachers to ask the children what they could do to help the president reach his goals.  Bush Sr’s speech was basically ‘get an education or you’ll be a nobody’ from it inception.  Bush Jr. never sent out lesson plans or suggested that they watch his speeches, although many schools post 9/11 stopped everything to watch basically every speech given by ANYONE in the government.  And personally, I don’t recall Clinton EVER forcing kids to watch a televised speech, although he did do a lot of talking about our education system.

DarkSaber says:

Your criticising THIS White House for having things poorly said, after 8 years of George W. "Nucular" Bush?

Neeneko says:

I actually asked a concervative I know about this…

His initial claim was he does not think the president should be indocternating children and that parents should have the right to opt out of them.

I then pointed out that these speeches were nothing new, and that Regan/Bush/Clinton/Bush all did them too.

At which point his argument turned to ‘don’t put obama in the same catagory as those patriots!’

Austin_Lewis says:

Yeah, those teaching supplements ‘sucked ass’.  You know, what with them pushing for children to wonder what they can do to help Obama reach his goals.  There seem to be a lot of things ‘poorly written’ and ‘poorly said’ in this White house.

Oh, and http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/When-Bush-spoke-to-students-Democrats-investigated-held-hearings-57694347.html

After Bush gave a speech, the Democrats held hearings.  So, you know, nice double standard.

But this speech wasn’t ‘bland’ from it’s beginning.  Like most things in the Obama administration thus far, it started out a lot worse, and probably, had no one noticed, our nation’s children would be in class hearing about how Obama wants our kids to get green jobs and free healthcare, or they’d be watching that ridiculous I Pledge video that those kids in SLC were forced to watch.  For an administration with so much claim to transparency, Obama sure turned out to be absolutely full of shit, though like any politician, he changes when he’s caught.  That’s why he repeatedly has to throw his friends and advisers under the bus.

Mortium says:

Nevermind the fact that both H.W. Bush and Regan gave speaches to the schools that students were forced to watch. And Regan’s speach was about trickle-down economics. Obama’s speach has always been as bland as posted to the WH website yesterday. The suggested teaching suplements supplied by the WH press office sucked ass, but meh…

Kris says:

Must be a good school then.

Because here all they’re worried about is TAKS test scores.  You’d be damn lucky these days to be taught something other than how to pass that test.  And I’m completely serious.  I know teachers who were told not to teach certain things and "just focus on TAKS" or "Don’t teach them extra stuff."

I saw the signs of it while I was still in HS, and it’s gotten a LOT worse since.  If you’re smart enough to be in the high level classes, then thank your lucky stars you’re actually learning SOMETHING.

I’m not saying we should be teaching them chemical engineering when they’re 10, and I agree that pushing them too hard will burn them out.  But so will only pushing the minimum.

I took algebra in 8th grade, and Calculus in 12th.  Calculus in 8th grade is pretty exagerrated, but very basic algebra is fairly simple, and there’s no reason not to introduce the basic concepts that early.  Should already know how to add, subtract, multiply and divide by then.

Valdearg says:

So, would you rather our kids be dumb as rocks? If you ask me, give them every bit of information thier brains can handle. If some of them can handle more than others, put them in more advanced classes. The earlier and longer kids are exposed to advanced topics and curriculum, the smarter they become in the long run. It might not be enjoyable to the kids, considering all they probably want to do is play games and have fun, but in the long run it is worth it.

Thats not to say that they shouldn’t be given time for leisurely activities. Im not saying give a first grader 8 hours of homework. What I’m saying is: If the kid can handle the advanced topic, why not? I know that my education was hamstrung by other, dumber classmates. I could have learned so much more, and then some, if my teachers weren’t spending 3 days teaching concepts that I learned in 1 hour. In all reality, I’d have loved to been educated by a program strictly tailored to my abilities, but my parents weren’t rich, so I had to go to public school..

If I had my way, we’d be separating kids into different Ability levels, and teaching them based on that, rather than one curriculum for all students. Separate the stupid ones, and teach them at the pace necessary to have them learn, and separate the advanced ones, to teach them faster, so that they learn more. I am aware that schools do something like this already, with thier advanced/normal/remedial classes, but I’m talking to a larger scale. Really weed out the students who will hamstring others, separate them from the smarter students, so the ones who truly have the ability to learn will get everything they possibly can..

DavCube says:

It IS rather saddening. My cousin kept coming up to me with question on his math, and i was surprised at what they were teaching him. And he’s only 6 years behind me, or thereabouts, i can’t keep track anymore due to diploma complications, but that’s another story.

vellocet says:

IQ stands for Intelligence Quotient, the score comes from your mental age / actual age.  When your mental age is equal to your actual age, your IQ is 100.  That’s also why IQ tends to get lower as you get older.

DarkSaber says:

Yeah Val, you’re right, the actual world average is 120-130. An average of 100 must be a U.S. thing.

Valdearg says:

I’d actually say that 100 is pretty damn stupid, considering the fact that most of the people I know score well above that, (120-130), and they are of average intelligence. Then again, maybe I just know smart people? I don’t know, either way, my point was that we need something to inspire kids to do better in school, which is exactly what Obama is doing. He’s not accusing America of being stupid, even when he probably be right in saying so, and he’s not trying to zombify our kids, like Austin_Lewis seems to think.

Thomas P. says:

150 is actually relatively good, considering the Average IQ, sadly, is between 90-110. Now, if you put that IQ of yours to use, you’d realize this whole thing is about inspiring kids to do well in school.

I hope you understand that a IQ of 100 is average in the world.  Are you saying that Americans should all be superhuman?

Also, IQ score is only a small piece of the pie.  A person’s drive to succeed is a larger factor.

I can be born a genius, but if I choose not to use this "gift" then it is all irrelevent.

Sporge says:

Umm of course the average iq is between 90 and 110, the iq test is set up to have an average of 100.  Iq tests change depending on your age though, the internet ones are normally pretty awful in that regard, well at least the free ones I’ve seen.  Having an Iq of 100 means you are average for your age.

I am soooo tired of politics on all sides really.

Valdearg says:

Wow, your IQ of 150 really doesn’t show through with that comment.

End. Of. Story.

It is a sad truth that this country is full of kids who are dropping out of school at alarming rates, whether that be because of thier own attitute towards education, or the lack of support they recieve. Getting a good education is the absolute best thing that anyone can do for themselves, and the fact is that many of us don’t realize that until we’ve passed up that chance. Obama is trying to convey that fact to the next generation, so that he may inspire a few more to succeed than in the past few decades.

Anyone who doesn’t see that is either willfully ignorant or just plain stupid.

Vake Xeacons says:

Either that, or the speech is too appalling that even the liberals aren’t going to take it.

I remember taking algebra in 8th grade in a gifted class. I was "gifted."

I have an IQ of 150. That’s metallly retarded by today’s standards. That’s why I’m not smarter than a 5th grader because you can’t get into 5th grade with an IQ like mine.

This isn’t the first time Obama has said "Abandon all else for education." He’s ordered people of all ages to "go back to school." Because we qualify for special ed nowadays. We’re stupid. Obama says so.

DarkSaber says:

Hell, in America, the political liberals aren’t even liberal.

Zerodash says:

You are actually, seriously implying that Democrats are above hypocracy?

All politicians are hypocrites.  All Conservatives are hypocrites.  All liberals are hypocrites.

LegendaryGamer00 says:

No, I’M the Root Of All EVIL!!!

Let’s have Lewis Black settle this…

——————–

Making the world a better place… one Headshot at a time…

jedidethfreak says:

This speech is fine.  When it was announced that he was giving a speech to school children, it was accompainied by a "lesson plan" demanding students to list how they were going to help Obama accomplish his goals.  This is where outrage came from, as this borders on indoctrination.  Obama lovers just don’t want to mention that, because they think that anyone who doesn’t blindly support Obama has to be racist.

Arell says:

There’s nothing controversial about the speech itself.  It’s just that some drama queens who don’t like Obama’s health care reform policies decided to throw a fit and say they didn’t want their children being "indoctrinated with his socialist mindset," or whatever, and got the speech banned from a couple schools.  Even though the speech will be about education and nothing else.

They created the controversy out of thin air.  Like I said in my previous post, it’s just people being douchebags.

JB says:

I don’t understand what is so controversial about this speech! It sounds like good advice to me. Basically, telling kids to set their priorities.

Is there something I’m missing?

jedidethfreak says:

Electing non-politicians isn’t the answer either.  Look at Schwartzenegger and Jesse Ventura, and the messes they made.

DarkSaber says:

A really weird joke seeing as how Obamas XBox Live ads are partly responsible for him being where is he today.

DarkSaber says:

You didn’t ignore the PC. You mentioned it right there in your last sentence.

MrKlorox says:

Oh boy! Time for people to miss the message entirely and start arguing about him saying "Xbox" instead of "PlayStation" or "Wii".

edit: Waiting for somebody to mention the fact that I completely ignored the PC.

Zero Beat says:

Gotta admit, he at least seems to still be human.  He must not have had the lobotomy that all politicians undergo at one point in their careers.  Or just a partial.

"That’s not ironic. That’s justice."

DarkSaber says:

"He’s still guttertrash when it comes to certain other issues."

That’s pretty much a given seeing as how he’s a politician.

nightwng2000 says:

Looks like he’s getting the hang of "moderation and diversity" versus "change your hobby because I don’t like your hobby and I know better than you and your Parents what is good for you and what is bad for you".

He’s still guttertrash when it comes to certain other issues.

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as http://groups.myspace.com/pfenl

Austin_Lewis says:

‘Starting’?  He’s always been preachy.  Hell, it’s not like he’s doing anything to fix any of the problems with the education system (or any other problem, for that matter).  That basically leaves him the option of preaching from on high, which he loves.

A politician being preachy? Surely not!! /sarcasm

Vake Xeacons says:

This isn’t about Obama as a person: it’s the voraciousness of his speech. Too much of anything is a bad thing, including education. We’re already pushing our kids too hard. We want them to be rocket scientists, because we aren’t and kids are just little extentions of ourselves, right? Teaching algebra in 5th grade? Calculus in 8th?! My daughter can read (a little) at 2 1/2 years old. She’s never set foot in preschool. People say that’s smart. It’s not: it’s status quo. She’s a C student. What more do you want?

Austin_Lewis says:

The original lesson plan the Whitehouse sent out didn’t make any mention of education.  Instead, it was all about things like ‘how can you help the president achieve his goals’, which is moronic, and inspires a cult of personality style viewpoint.  The people aren’t here to serve Obama, he’s here to serve us, and he apparently doesn’t understand that.  That’s why so many parents were pissed off; he had a lesson plan that read like something out of Cuba, Saddam’s Iraq, or Hitler’s Germany.

Of course, as seems to be a common theme in this administration, when he got called on it, he backpedaled, said that the lesson plan was ‘poorly written’, and changed his tone.

Bennett Beeny says:

"There should at least be a small shred of respect for the Office, even if you disagree with his politics."

Eight years ago the Republicans were telling us the same thing.  Apparently, it’s one rule when their guy is in power, and another when he’s not.  At least it shows what complete hypocrites these Republicans are.

Personally, I think people should be able to criticize the president, but the criticisms should at least make sense.  After all, it’s not as if no other president ever gave a speech about education.

DarkSaber says:

"When did this country become so full of douchebags?"

About 200 years ago when European countries rounded up their douchebags and shipped them over there.

Arell says:

Off the topic of video games, but it saddens me that some people in this country can’t drop the politics bullshit even for this.  Those people that don’t want to have their kids hear the speech, because they don’t like him (I heard one excuse that they didn’t want him "preaching socialism" to children, which is just absurd on so many levels).  It’s the President talking to children about education, for crying out loud!  There should at least be a small shred of respect for the Office, even if you disagree with his politics.  People created controversy where there shouldn’t be any.

When did this country become so full of douchebags?

Zerodash says:

I like how he can talk the talk about individual responsibility and personal achievement.  I just wish he actually, from a policy and record standpoint, back that up.

Bigman-K says:

How is this even news? Whats the big deal with telling kids not to spend every waking moment infront of their video game console. Sounds like common sense to me. It’s all about moderation.

"No law means no law" – Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black on the First Amendment