Game Teaches Impoverished Kenyans How to Deal with Crime, AIDS

Last December GamePolitics reported on Pamoja Mtaani, a PC game developed through a partnership with Warner Bros. Interactive, North Carolina-based Virtual Heroes (creators of America’s Army) and The Partnership For an HIV-free Generation.

The game’s title translates to "Together in the Hood," and Pamoja Mtaani aims to help players learn skills to negotiate difficult issues such as crime and HIV in some of East Africa’s most impoverished areas.

GP reader Wai Yen Tang dropped us a line to say that a video report on the game and how it is being used is now available on YouTube.

Snipzor says:

This thread went stupid in one post. How quaint.

Anyways, as JDKJ pointed out, how can one be impoverished and at the same time have the tech to play this game (As well as the free time). There’s only one way for people to access this, and even that costs money.

chadachada321 says:

But it has black people. That are called African-American. Like from Africa. Therefore, it MUST be racist. Even if New Orleans in mostly black. How dare those white racist pigs use a common demographic to represent a realistic depiction of a city.

DarkSaber says:

You mean that one time it happened because of Resident Evil 5? (If there are other occurances, I’m just unaware of them, although I wouldn;t be at all surprised.)

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

DarkSaber says:

Am I reading too much into it, or did you REALLY just imply the poor are poor because they choose to be and make an effort to be?

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Erik says:

You have a point with the PC thing.  But as far as the leisure time point thing, no.  Many impovrished people have plenty of "leisure time".  But more often it’s not so much leisure as much as "I don’t have any money to actually do anything so I’ll just sit in this chair and stare at the wall."

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

Neeneko says:

Actually many of these areas have access to internet caffes which spread out the cost of computer ownership.

As for leisure time.  Impoverished areas are usually that way due to lack of employment… so LOTS of free time.

Still, I admit I do not see the value in such games.  I have a difficult time seeing anyone in these regions actually playing them and even if they do, not pulling useful lessons.

jedidethfreak says:

I know, it’s just that anytime anyone makes a game about a somewhat negative subject and the focus is in Africa, someone cries racism.

He was dead when I got here.

JDKJ says:

Do you think the impoverished of Kenya prefer to sip lattes or cappuccinos while they hang out at cafes, idly surfing the internet? LOL!! But at least the cafes in Kenya must have a more liberal admission policy than those in the States. I don’t see too many cafes in the States that’ll allow patrons inside who aren’t wearing any shoes.