Swine Flu Confirmed at PAX

Organizers of last weekend’s PAX convention in Seattle have reported that there are confirmed swine flu cases among attendees. The news comes by way of the show’s official Twitter feed. A Boston game developer who was at PAX was reportedly the first official case.

But he’s not the only one. An updated list of post-PAX flights taken by additional confirmed swine flu sufferers includes planes headed to Boston, Chicago, Denver, Atlanta and St. Louis. Thus are epidemics spread.

Kotaku has a quote on the outbreak from Robert Khoo of Penny Arcade:

This is the real thing. If you get this number of people together in this close a proximity it is the perfect storm for these kind of wild fire virus spreads. We just want to make sure everyone is informed.

For more information on swine flu, check out the web page of the Center for Disease Control.

Wormdundee says:

This doesn’t have anything to do with being ‘unclean slobs’. It’s 40,000 people in one building for 3 days. If there’s an illness there it will be spread. It doesn’t matter what kind of people were there.

DarkSaber says:

Well, I’m never wrong, experts are sometimes wrong, so yeah, that would be the safe bet.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Adrian Lopez says:

And from all these examples the logical conclusion, I presume, is that experts are always wrong. No doubt it’s wiser to listen to DarkSaber than people who actually know what they’re talking about.

DarkSaber says:

There were certainly experts in charge of making sure things like 9/11 didn’t happen.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Adrian Lopez says:

Your post shows the same kind of faulty logic people use when they blow things out of proportion, except in the opposite direction: If the media is making a big deal out of it, that proves it’s not a big deal.

Experts seem to think it’s more dangerous than "not a big deal", but what do they know; they’re only experts, after all.

deadgarth says:

Australia is already in the middle of their flu season and their swine flu numbers have peaked.  It’s not a big deal because statistics have shown that swine flu is replacing seasonal flu in most cases.  You have a very small chance of getting swine flu AND seasonal flu, that’s why adding their numbers doesn’t make sense and worrying about it doesn’t make sense either.  And no, swine flu is not more dangerous than seasonal flu for a normal, healthy person.  It is only more dangerous if you have underlying conditions or are older/young.

Swine flu has a death rate of .1% to .5%, wheras seasonal flu is greater than .5%.

By the way, most people recover from the flu at home without even notifying a doctor, so both of those numbers could be lower.

Virtual economic shutdown?  I don’t think so.

DarkSaber says:

Nope, no big deal. Or at least, the same ‘big deal’ Avian flu, MRSA, SARS, cat flu, dog flu, fish flu and every other hyped-by-the-media disease was.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

nighstalker160 says:

Right, because having a second variation of the flu IN ADDITION to the seasonal flu is no big deal.

After all the swine flu might only kill say 10,000 people compared to the 36,000 of the seasonal flu. So we should just totally ignore it, 46,000 isn’t that different from 36,000.

Never mind the lost productivity and resultant economic hit that we could take from having TWO flu’s running around, especially considering that one of them seems to hit the population segment that really DRIVES the economy (ya know those working adults). Yeah, having a substantial chunk of them be out of work for days isn’t going to stunt any kind of economic recovery that might be going on.

By the way, got a source to quote Doctor? Last I checked (and that was yesterday) the jury is still out on how virulent this strain is.

See Washington State University which just reports TWO THOUSAND cases of swine flu. Sure it might not be as deadly but imagine that level of infection extrapolated to the rest of the population. You’re talking virtual economic shutdown. But that’s no big deal right?

DarkSaber says:

It’s only a problem if it’s likely to kill more people than regular flu. And it isn’t.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Alyric says:

It seems like we’re pretty much in agreement.

I was not at all suggesting that we don’t need the CDC or that it should be disbanded – only pointing out that there are political agendas (even in the CDC) and we have to be careful not to necessarily take everything they say at face value.

Unfortunately, I have no solution to the problem. Cleaning house at the CDC would only be a temporary fix, at best.  Most of us tend to have a view of people in certain professions – particularly doctors and scientists – as impartial and dispassionate, but the truth is we’re all humans with our own views, goals, and agendas. The problems at the CDC are merely a reflection of this, and not easily solved. All of that said, it doesn’t mitigate or negate the importance of a nationally organized agency that can respond to infectious agents.

Valdearg says:

I will admit that the CDC doesn’t do everything right. Making up statistics is unforgivable. However, have you thought about what WOULD happen to our country in the case of an actual "Super-bug", without some kind of national disease fighting body to help coordinate and organize the response? I’d bet that it would be very, very bad.

On a side note: "I’d go into the problems with using BMI to determine whether or not a person is overweight"

I agree with this 100%. I mean, I’m fat. I’m about 60-70 lbs overweight. I guess you could call me obese. However, my BMI certainly doesn’t affect my ability to live life, exercise, or perform strenuous activities without risking my health, like the CDC seems to think happens to all fat people. The best part being, because of my musculature, I could drop 100% of my body fat, and STILL be considered obese by that BMI index. Another good example, my Brother is in the Army and doesn’t have an ounce of fat on his body, yet he is considered obese by that stupid chart…

Alyric says:

How is it that you manage to politicize everything?

Unfortunately, the CDC *has* become a political entity. Nowhere is this more obvious than their campaign against the so-called "obesity epidemic" in which they were caught with their pants down literally making up statistics. There’s something of a difference between 400,000 deaths per year and 26,000 deaths per year. The CDC deliberately suppressed all conversation about the statistic in-house, and their experts learned pretty quickly that keeping their jobs meant keeping silent. This relates directly to their budget, as AL pointed out, in addition to an unfortunate political trend of taxing and medicalizing behavior they don’t approve of.

I’d go into the problems with using BMI to determine whether or not a person is overweight, but fudging statistics doesn’t really compare with outright making them up.

As to the swine flu thing, you’re both right in a way. Early in the outbreak there were a couple different strains of the swine flu going around, as I recall. The one in Mexico was more deadly than the regular flu; the strain in the U.S. was decidedly more mild. I’m uncertain what the strains look like now – or how they’ve spread – but I do believe that the swine flu spreads more quickly than the regular flu, and moves deeper into the lungs. Neither of those is encouraging, particularly for people with existing (especially respiratory) conditions.

Zero Beat says:

Swine flu = December 22-ish, 2012.  I forget the exact date, I just know that it’s after the 20th and before the 24th.

"That’s not ironic. That’s justice."

Zerodash says:

According to their Twitter feeds, Jeff Gerstmann (Giant Bomb) and Shane Bettenhausen (Ignition) are sick post-PAX.  Don’t know if its swine flu, but…

Also, I think someone needs to go to jail for the fear-mongering that has erupted over this nonsense.

Swine Flu = Y2K bug

Swine Flu = SARS

Swine Flu = slap bracelets

nighstalker160 says:

And what medical school did you attend doctor?

While you are correct in that Swine Flu does not appear to be as bad as was once thought we really aren’t sure. It appears to disproportionately affect the younger populace which is a bit disturbing and may be more infectious (if not more deadly) than the common strain.

Additionally, it isn’t simply a matter of those people who have swine flu, it’s their potential to spread it. Obviously someone with swine flu shouldn’t go home to an infant child for example or home to a brother who is immuno-compromised.

The fact that swine flue appears to be infecting the most mobile and social segment of the population is a problem. If it was limiting itself to the very young or very old (who can more easily be isolated if necessary) you might have a point.

But it’s hitting the workforce, the part of the population that is MOST difficult to isolate that makes it a problem.

Valdearg says:

"For more on swine flu, ignore the CDC, which has a love of MAKING SHIT UP to justify their budget."

How is it that you manage to politicize everything?

The swine flu, while not as bad as the MEDIA makes it out to be, is still more infectous, and hits harder than the normal flu. Yeah, you are right in that, for the most part, as long as you are not in a fragile or comprimised state, you’ll be fine. However, your allegation that Swine Flu is "actually not as bad as REGULAR FLU" is misinformed, at best. Swine is much more infectious, and, like I said before, is certainly more powerful than the regular flu.

For me, a normal flu would put me in bed for 2-4 days, if at all. Whereas the Swine actually took me out of service for a week and a half. It was NOT FUN having to use half of my yearly vacation days for work, especially when it certainly was no vacation to have it. If I had to choose, I’d choose the normal flu over swine every time.

DarkSaber says:

Hell, part of the UKs swine flu "count" is based on people who have self-diagnosed and rung a number to say "I have swine flu"!

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Austin_Lewis says:

Here’s the deal; if you have swine flu, you’re going to be fine unless you’re immuno-compromised, real young or real old, or have very poor nutrition (due to, say, a diet consisting of foods with no nutritional value).  If you have swine flu, treat it like REGULAR flu and you’ll be fine.

Swine flu, for all the bullshit, is actually not as bad as REGULAR FLU, which is about equally as infectious.  Or, for college kids, gonorrhea, which tends to spread around campuses once a year.

DarkSaber says:

I wonder how many people caught regular flu/common colds there last year or the year before.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.