Connecticut Legislators Busted for Playing Solitaire at Work

A pair of Connecticut legislators were embarrassed when an Associated Press photographer snapped them playing Windows Solitaire during recent deliberations on the state budget.

The Hartford Courant reports that one of the game-playing pols, Rep. Jack Hennessy (D, left) has issued a rather profuse apology in a letter to constituents:

It was certainly bad judgment for me to play a computer game even for just a few minutes during the final House session on the budget. I am embarrassed, and I apologize to each and every person in the North End and to people across the state.

My actions were inexcusable. I do want my constituents to know that my poor judgment for a few moments on Monday in no way means I ignored your interests in representing you on this very serious matter…

I sincerely apologize to each of you. I look forward to having the continued privilege of representing you and your interests in Hartford. I thank you in advance for your understanding and have been humbled by those of you who have already expressed your understanding and forgiveness.

Hennessy maintains a photo gallery on his official website. The solitaire-playing picture is not included, however. The other Solitaire player was Rep. Barbara Lambert, also a Democrat.

Via: GameCulture

jedidethfreak says:

Whereas, had they been Republicans, I’m sure you’d make some complaint about them not paying attention to their jobs.

He was dead when I got here.

Bennett Beeny says:

At least it shows that democrats know how to play a computer game.  The closest most Republicans get to a computer game is when they wonder how to put a stamp on an email.

Attack_Gypsy says:

Would have been been better if one of them had jumped up and yelled "HEADSHOT! PWND, BEOTCH!"

Yes, I am a liberal. I also believe in a strong military, less government, and the right to bear arms. ~ Me

Calling an illegal alien an undocumented worker is like calling a crack dealer an unlicensed pharmacist. ~ Me

a_pink_poodle says:
    But Solitaire's the only game in town!
    And every road that takes him down!
    While life goes on around him everywhere.
    He's playing Solitaire...
    Love the Carpenters
    Mortium says:

MD legislators play solitare or surf the web all the damn time during floor sessions. Going back atleast to 2001, and the Associated Press is just NOW seeing this?

Neeneko says:

I actually have sympathy for these legislators.

Every listen to floor debate?  Lots of bluster and posturing designed to go on the the record so it can be brought up during the next election cycle,.. but very little actual content.

Corey says:

If I had to sit through one of those House meetings I’d probably be desperate for something fun to do too. I can’t really be too mad at these guys as I know I’m not immune to goofing off at work or school when things get boring. Let’s face it, these guys have one the most dull jobs in the country. Have you ever been able to sit through one of the Cspan airings of these meetings? Anyway, the only thing they were missing by goofing off were other congressmans’ presentations. It’s all stuff they can get caught up on in written documents. It kind of reminds me of how irresistable the urge is to zone out when my proffessor lectures on chapters I’ve already read.