Video Game Arcade in Congo

September 10, 2009 -

This photo from flickr user Tomas apparently shows a makeshift arcade in the Democratic Republic of Congo. It is just one of numerous photos from Congo uploaded by Tomas.

The photo is tagged Kinshasa, so it was likely shot in the capital city, which has some 10 million inhabitants.

Source:  via boingboing

Comments

Re: Video Game Arcade in Congo

why is this news

Re: Video Game Arcade in Congo

Simple.  Because it's interesting enough to the general readership to warrant reporting.

Andrew Eisen

Re: Video Game Arcade in Congo

How did you know that?  Did you poll the general readership first?

Just sayin', not trying to be a jerk.

"De minimus non curat lex"

"De minimus non curat lex"

Re: Video Game Arcade in Congo

My psychic powers are vast.

But fair enough.  I should have said, "I imagine GP felt it would be interesting enough to the general readership to warrant reporting."

Andrew Eisen

Re: Video Game Arcade in Congo

I'm taking its a PC arcade or they have consoles hooked up to the monitors. I wonder what games they have.

Re: Video Game Arcade in Congo

Monitors? No dude... those are old fat TVs. Remember those?

Re: Video Game Arcade in Congo

Cathode ray tube? What's a cathode ray tube?

Re: Video Game Arcade in Congo

I'm guessing the makeshift Internet cafe's around the corner.

Re: Video Game Arcade in Congo

Donkey Konga?

Re: Video Game Arcade in Congo

FIFA (soccer) for PS2 at least (that's what they all were playing when the photograph was taken).

Poll

Will limiting Steam services to accounts that have spent at least $5 eliminate spammers?:

Andrew EisenI tinyURL'd it. The world is safe!04/24/2015 - 10:23pm
Andrew EisenWell, that is indeed crappy and nonsensical.04/24/2015 - 3:45pm
Andrew EisenFine but do you recall ANY details at all?04/24/2015 - 3:38pm
Andrew EisenI know there's not a lot of room in the Shout box but goodness you're being vague.04/24/2015 - 3:26pm
Andrew EisenGreat, but that STILL doesn't tell me what she said, why she was attacked (or what the attack was) or what "standard line" she's following. Details, man. Details!04/24/2015 - 3:25pm
Andrew EisenOr what the heck Nina White (someone else I've never heard of) is actually referring to.04/24/2015 - 3:24pm
Matthew Wilson@AE she is a game dev. she used to do stuff with hormanix and now works with https://outact.net/#!/?page_id=2 she will often engage and debate both side.04/24/2015 - 3:23pm
Andrew Eisen...following.04/24/2015 - 3:23pm