Video Game Arcade in Congo

September 10, 2009 -

This photo from flickr user Tomas apparently shows a makeshift arcade in the Democratic Republic of Congo. It is just one of numerous photos from Congo uploaded by Tomas.

The photo is tagged Kinshasa, so it was likely shot in the capital city, which has some 10 million inhabitants.

Source:  via boingboing

Comments

Re: Video Game Arcade in Congo

why is this news

Re: Video Game Arcade in Congo

Simple.  Because it's interesting enough to the general readership to warrant reporting.

Andrew Eisen

Re: Video Game Arcade in Congo

How did you know that?  Did you poll the general readership first?

Just sayin', not trying to be a jerk.

"De minimus non curat lex"

"De minimus non curat lex"

Re: Video Game Arcade in Congo

My psychic powers are vast.

But fair enough.  I should have said, "I imagine GP felt it would be interesting enough to the general readership to warrant reporting."

Andrew Eisen

Re: Video Game Arcade in Congo

I'm taking its a PC arcade or they have consoles hooked up to the monitors. I wonder what games they have.

Re: Video Game Arcade in Congo

Monitors? No dude... those are old fat TVs. Remember those?

Re: Video Game Arcade in Congo

Cathode ray tube? What's a cathode ray tube?

Re: Video Game Arcade in Congo

I'm guessing the makeshift Internet cafe's around the corner.

Re: Video Game Arcade in Congo

Donkey Konga?

Re: Video Game Arcade in Congo

FIFA (soccer) for PS2 at least (that's what they all were playing when the photograph was taken).

Sleaker@CraigR been using Win8.1 for a while, I don't really see any usability difference between it and 7 (Work uses 7)10/01/2014 - 2:16am
Craig R.Ok, my internal debate was short-lived. If Win10 is still a year out, I'm not waiting that long for an SSD, so on Win7 I will remain.09/30/2014 - 7:52pm
Matthew Wilsonits called windows 10, and I am happy to get the start menu back.09/30/2014 - 7:18pm
Jessy HartIs this stuff about Windows 10 legit? Is it actually called Windows 10 or is it just some stupid joke?09/30/2014 - 6:57pm
ZippyDSMleeSo I been trying to play Bioshock Infinite I got all the DLC,ect but do not want the extras to make your charatcer over powered from the start.....they force you to take them which is quite annoying......09/30/2014 - 6:45pm
Craig R.I need to upgrade to an SSD, still seriously debating moving to Win8.1 from 7 at the same time09/30/2014 - 6:07pm
Craig R.Win10 is probably Win8.1 with more cleanup and the Start button back.09/30/2014 - 6:06pm
Sora-ChanAhh, it's just weird seeing someone's post all of a sudden have replies from days prior before it was posted due to that.09/30/2014 - 5:49pm
MechaTama31sora: I broke the ordering intentionally, as AE's and my conversation had squeezed the text boxes down to be quite slim. I replied to an earlier post of his instead of the one I was actually replying to.09/30/2014 - 5:46pm
MechaTama31So, 9 would have been the good one, but they are skipping it to do two crap ones in a row?09/30/2014 - 5:41pm
Sora-ChanSo, judging from the poll post for #gamergate, it looks like too many thread replies breaks the ordering of posts, as seen with the recent post from Infophile.09/30/2014 - 5:31pm
Andrew EisenOr no! It wasn't Y3K compliant. Microsoft thought it best to super future proof its OS and skipped straight to 10 which is Y3K compliant!09/30/2014 - 5:01pm
Andrew EisenJust tell them it wasn't Y2K compliant.09/30/2014 - 5:00pm
Craig R.Looking forward to having to explain to coworkers down the road what ever happened to 9 *sigh*09/30/2014 - 4:57pm
Craig R.2k was crap. XP was solid, 7 is good, 8.1 is actually really good once you make it look like 7 :)09/30/2014 - 4:52pm
Sora-Chan@MP As someone who has used each version of windows since 3.1... I prefer Vista over 7 for various reasons. The only thing I give 7 over Vista is preformance. They really screwed up a bunch of things when making 7. Also, XP was a pain. 2k was better.09/30/2014 - 4:13pm
Jessy Hart@E. Zachary Knight Is that show called Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures?09/30/2014 - 3:34pm
IanCWin 8 isn't bad, it just can't decide whether to be a desktop OS or a tablet OS.09/30/2014 - 2:40pm
IanCI think its a way of getting round giving it free to Win 8 users...09/30/2014 - 2:39pm
MaskedPixelanteWindows alternates between bad and good versions. XP was good, Vista sucked, 7 was good, 8 sucked, therefore 10 will suck, QED.09/30/2014 - 2:18pm