Veteran Games Journalist Named Editor of GP

With the retirement of founding editor, Dennis McCauley, we’re excited to announce that he will be passing the torch to seasoned game editor, Pete Gallagher. Dennis has been and shall remain mentoring Pete during the transition. Readers of ECA Today, the email-based newsletter which is distributed week-nightly to members, are already familiar with Pete’s work, as he has been the Editor-in-Chief of the popular publication since its inception. Prior to ECA Today, Pete was the Editor-in-Chief of GameDaily and oversaw the transition from a small business-to-business trade newsletter to a major portal, now owned by AOL.
“Pete has been an important part of the editorial landscape in games journalism for over a decade, but has done so in a uniquely humble and low-key manner,” said Hal Halpin, president of the ECA. “We’re thrilled to have him come on board and take on responsibility for GamePolitics as well.”
Hal also hinted at some additional changes to look forward to, “Over the next few weeks, we’ll be unveiling a few new modules which should enhance user experience across our sites, GP included. And by adding a few more editorial voices to the chorus, we hope to diversify the overall offering, while maintaining the aspects of each property that readers enjoy.”
“I’m really excited to be a part of further developing GamePolitics in addition to my other responsibilities,” said Pete Gallagher, incoming EIC of GP. “I’ve been a fan for years and really enjoy working with Dennis. I think the key to the transition and incorporating the new enhancements to the infrastructure will be listening to reader feedback and modifying accordingly, as has been done previously. With the growth of the association and the sites, it’s taking things to the next level and I couldn’t be more thrilled.”

Wormdundee says:

I don’t want to misunderstand you so could you explain "I think you may want to left off what Dennis was doing for GP?" I don’t understand what it means.

Soldat_Louis says:

Good luck to new GP editor. I wish him the best, and I hope he’ll be able to make GamePolitics remain what it is : a vital information source about the way video games are dealt in politics and in the media.

Seiena_Cyrus says:

While I’m far from a fan of Game Daily and some of the less professional antics over there, I never the less hope for the best and heartily welcome our new editor of GP. I hope that you will do well in your new position! ^_^

gamepolitics says:

Just wanted to thank everyone for the comments.

I’m well aware of the super-awesome community based here and will do my best to keep it going, and then some.

I’d like to wish Dennis well, and thank him for all that he built. Big shoes to fill for me!

Pete Galaga

Archgabe says:

Welcome to the party Pete!  We will always miss Dennis but from your bio I think you will do just nicely.  Just rememeber that part of your job is zoo keeper.  You will know all too soon the horrors that will come from the comments section.

Andrew Eisen says:

"With the changing of the guard at GamePolitics, I hereby raise my glass to the continued flood of news stories that highlight every Republican-bashing flash game in existence while ignoring or demonizing their Democrat counterparts!"

Andrew Eisen

JDKJ says:

If you wanna impress me, Andrew, then translate the following into English:

"Here is too the tons of Republican Flash games to be added that make fun of them!"

What the f*** is that crazy motherf***** talking about?!

JDKJ says:

I hope Mr. Gallagher isn’t overly alarmed the first time Jack Thompson specifically names him in a letter of complaint to the FBI. It ain’t gonna be the last time.

Valdearg says:

Don’t you know that any story that didn’t bash Obama to peices was considered "Anti-Republican" by these folks? If you’re in the middle, you are just as bad as those dirty liberals, according to them.

ZippyDSMlee says:

Well GP was a aroudn the middle who sentioanlized soemtiems a bit to much. So as long as someone posts articles you’ll have the crazies come out of the wood work to demand thier the better idoit.

Until lobbying is a hanging offense I choose anarchy! Stop supporting big media and furthering the criminalization of consumers!!

Ratros says:

Here here!

I once had a dream about God. In it, he was looking down upon the planet and the havoc we recked and he said unto us, "Damn Kids get off my lawn!"

Pierre-Olivier says:

Welcome, Pete. Wish you luck on the task of taking over Dennis’ work.

Hope that you’ll have the patience (and sense of humor) required (especially concerning you-know-who if he decides to poke his nose here).

Leet Gamer Jargon says:

As Morbo would say, "Salutations to incumbent editor-in-chief Pete Gallagher. May death come quickly to his enemies."

Game on, brothers and sisters.

BrandonL337 says:

Oh, god, that was almost painful

There have always been motherf*ckers, there will always be motherf*ckers, but what we can’t do is let them control our motherf*cking lives. -John Oliver, December 1st, 2008

HarmlessBunny says:

Well, um…hello and welcome Peter. Remember watch your back for Jack Thompson. He will haunt your steps and blame you for everything (including killing puppies and eating babies at night…we all know only Zippy does that).

Seriously though, I am willing to give this new guy a chance. Still shocked over the departure of Dennis though.

Icehawk says:

Cannot say I am happy or unhappy with this (not like my opinion counts for much).  Since I cannot remember seeing a thing from this guy I suppose we shall wait and see.

Valdearg says:

Aww, Zip. I actually enjoyed watching the conservative whining every time he posted something that seemed even slightly biased. It was entertaining, actually.

In all seriousness, though, here’s hoping that he is able to keep this site as entertaining as Dennis did!