Buddhist Leader Enjoys Videogames

A modern Buddhist leader has expressed his admiration for the outlet videogames provide in an interview given to the Times of India.

Trinley Dorje, the 24-year old spiritualist, also known as the Karmapa Lama, was asked if he considered it inappropriate for a Buddhist monk to play “war games” on his PlayStation. He replied that games are “something of an emotional therapy,” adding:

If I’m having some negative thoughts or negative feelings, videogames are one way in which I can release that energy in the context of the illusion of the game. I feel better afterwards. The aggression that comes out in the video game satiates whatever desire I might have to express that feeling. For me, that’s very skilful because when I do that I don’t have to go and hit anyone over the head.

Flowerbed says:

hang on a sec, is he saying that, before he had video games and whenever he felt negative feelings or had negative thoughts, he had to hit someone over the head? what a bad ass! hahahaha

mdo7 says:

No, but that would give Islamist and Christian extremist why other religion are evil to them.  They’ll say any religion playing video game are a spawn of Satan.

AE: Please stop prefixing each of your posts with multiple carriage returns.

PumaFau says:

Im suprised a buddhist (or any religious leader) would say that.

I was thinking this

"They are bad because of violence"

Never underestimate the power of idiots in large amounts.

mdo7 says:

What’s the matter, Wormdundee??  You never met anyone that has multiple religion.  I know a person who is of part Islam, part Christian, and part Sikh.  I know another person who is of Israelis/Syrian descent (he’s christian who has part of Jewish religion mix with it).  My father is Christian while my mother is Buddhist.  That’s why I take in mostly buddhism and part christian.  There’s something called poly-theisticism.

AE: Please stop prefixing each of your posts with multiple carriage returns.

DarkSaber says:

My left big toe wants to be christian, but I won’t allow it.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Ratros says:

I’m 100% Ratroism, we believe in respecting the beliefs of others as long as they do not cause harm to another person.  We also believe in God, but there are insane extremists who believe that the creator is actually an alien….yes there is only one member of Ratroism.

I once had a dream about God. In it, he was looking down upon the planet and the havoc we recked and he said unto us, "Damn Kids get off my lawn!"

ZippyDSMlee says:

I am only 30% christian  and I don;t believe that religion is perfect or absolute that god (and religion)is how you view it not how you are told to view it.

Until lobbying is a hanging offense I choose anarchy! Stop supporting big media and furthering the criminalization of consumers!! http://zippydsmlee.wordpress.com/

mdo7 says:

oh, I Just talk to my mom about him, and I just found out my mom met him when she went on a pilgrimage to dharasala in India last November to meet Holiness, the Dalai Larma and the Karmapa Lama himself.  My mom is a buddhist herself and she was lucky to meet him.  True story, not a lie.  I can show you a picture of my mom meeting him herself if you’re curious.

AE: Please stop prefixing each of your posts with multiple carriage returns.

mdo7 says:

I remember reading this off of Kotaku.  I found that intresting.  As a gamer and a Buddhist (even though I’m 3% christian).  I found this to be quite cool since I don’t know any buddhist monk that play video game.  I wonder if the other religion extremists will say Buddhism is evil because they play violent video game and call them a satanist (religion extremist tends to make other religions their enemies).

AE: Please stop prefixing each of your posts with multiple carriage returns.

Xveers says:

But if he reincarnates, does he have to use a new Live! account, or can he just use his old one?

Best keep your wits about you: The gears of life are always spinning, and ignorance eventually means you’ll get caught in them.