UK Trade Group Calls for Widespread Developer Support

September 22, 2009 -

TIGA, a UK trade association that represents game developers and associated businesses, has called for a national Games Tax Relief to spur growth and aid current interactive developers.

Labeling the current system of assistance as “incoherent and insufficient,” TIGA seeks a single, region-wide policy that would eliminate the current “post code lottery.” TIGA’s comments came following a report on actual funding from nine English Regional Development Agencies (RDA) disclosed a large gap in assistance provided based on region.

TIGA’s CEO, Richard Wilson explained:

... while many other countries provide generous tax relief for games production there is no similar tax benefit for game developers in England. More funding should be made accessible through national programmes that developers, irrespective of their geographical location, can benefit from.

TIGA sees Games Tax Relief assisting 60-80 titles per year and creating more than 1,400 jobs over five years.

Posted in

Comments

Re: UK Trade Group Calls for Widespread Developer Support

Take your time, government.

The big question for me is: will it be a case of too little, too late?

Poll