Video Camera Bowls Over Cops Following Bust

Playing Wii Sports in a suspected drug house following a raid is probably not the best way for police officers to ingratiate themselves with their superiors, especially if the house, as part of the investigation, was previously wired with a video camera.

The Associated Press reports that police in a Polk County, Florida were caught doing exactly that however, with one participant “furiously jumping up and down in celebration” while playing Wii Bowling. Another detective was also witnessed taking “several breaks” from cataloging evidence in order to bowl a few frames.

Some of the officers “could be disciplined.”

Is this better or worse than playing Solitaire while in session?

mdo7 says:

Is this better or worse than playing Solitaire while in session?

I find this worser then playing Solitaire while on the job.  The cops are playing Wii games at a suspect house.  That’s kinda being lazy and slacking on the job, and you’re kinda messing up the crime scene.  If the cop wanted to play video game, they should do it when they’re not working or doing their job instead of using a criminal’s video game system.

chadachada321 says:

While I personally think that slacking off while on the job is wrong no matter what the job is, I’m not *too* upset about this particular waste of tax dollars. As long as the investigation was already done and arrests made, then it shouldn’t be able to invalidate the evidence. It could be grounds for suing the police station for stealing/illegally using property, but I don’t think that it would invalidate other evidence that was rightfully found with the warrent.

Then again, I don’t think that using drugs or selling drugs (especially light drugs like weed) should be illegal. So I’m almost tempted to want the evidence to be thrown out.

As for the punishment, depending on the circumstances I’d say a good reprimand would be in order, but nothing drastic. Obviously a closer eye should be kept on how cops spend their on-the-hour time, but if they weren’t in the process of arresting/chasing a criminal, I don’t mind too much. If I was the boss I would, but I don’t find it a misuse of power like what many cops have.

ded2me says:

Yep. At the most, a few days on the beach.  But most likely a Reprimand.

Some officers got caught playing the inmates pong/pacman/frogger games in their cells a while ago where I work.  They just got an ass chewing. LOL.

Tyler Baumbarger says:

The video camera is hidden as a speaker. It’s in the crooks house.

It happened in the county just south of me. Here’s a link to a news site that is affiliated with the local NBC station as well as a reputable newspaper:

The sheriff apologized. It’s real.

Growing older doesn’t have to mean giving up what makes you. –

Saxy says:

true. But seriously… how did this start? I can’t imagine being dumb enough to even try that. And the officers probably had their own Wii’s (They seem pretty familiar with it)… so why?

ecco6t9 says:

Nothing wrong here, let’s not forget there was an actual criminal there. Actual drug lords/drug addicts are paranoid enough that they have security cameras.