Rocker Gamers

Joystiq has an interview with Trent Reznor talking with the Nine Inch Nails front man about the games he grew up on, how much he sucks at Rock Band and the game character he most identifies with (Link).

Reznor also discussed his experience with pitching a videogame to publishers:

And as first time people in a pitch meeting, it was kind of depressing. Depressing to see that the people in control of those studios and publishers are much the same as the people sitting at record companies.

When asked about any similarities between the indie videogame and indie music industries, Reznor called the iPhone platform “inspiring,” and added that he likes what he sees from the Xbox, noting, “they’re providing a place to get indie games and you don’t have to hack your system or fight updates to get those games on it."

Indie musician Ryan Adams has also been active lately on the videogame front, writing for The Awl website over the past month. His rambling posts center on videogame titles and systems from the past, while interjecting plenty of obscenities and pop culture references.

A take from Adams on Q*bert:

Anyway, there are two ways I am thinking about Q-Bert now, either if videogames were around when making Exile on Main Street maybe it would have been a single album or that maybe it would have been longer.

DarkSaber says:

Nothing like it to make the experience lamer and more pointless than it already was certainly.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

ded2me says:

Personally I think the Quake 1 soundtrack did exatly what it was supposed to do.  Add some kind of ambient tone to the background.  While I would have to say that yes, the sound track was forgettable, I will say that this guy is pretty amazing at mixing and creating original stuff.  And who could complain that ID software got to use the NIN logo on thier nail crates for the nailgun weapon.  Nothing like gunning down somone with some Nine inch nails!

gamadaya says:

Isn’t this guy a boss in Super Mario World?

Believe in something! Even if it’s wrong, believe in it.

-Glenn Beck

hellfire7885 says:

Ok, aside form those writing this entire thing off sicne they odn’t like a man’s music, I can understand what he’s saying about executives. He’s likely had too much experiences with such people.

eugaet says:

I read this the other day and thought it was a great interview. But then I’m a fan of NIN/Trent Reznor, so YMMV.

NIN Creative Director Rob Sheridan is the one who identified w/ Link, Trent didn’t give an answer.

DarkSaber says:

Who the hell is Ryan Adams (Unless it;s the "One and Only" Ryan Adams, in which case megalol, you aint a musician!), and what the f**k is that quote talking about? It’s gibberish!

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Austin_Lewis says:

I find it hard to care what Trent Reznor has to say about anything, as his music is astonishingly bland to me, and the only thing he’s done that I didn’t dislike was allow Johnny Cash’s to perform his take on ‘Hurt’.  Which Cash performed better than Trent.

And who the hell cares what Ryan Adams has to say?  The man is all kinds of mediocre.  Jesus, why don’t we call Unknown Hinson and see what he has to say about the Xbox and Iphone, at least THAT will be interesting, and the man’s actually a great musician.