Would Game Developers Make Good Politicians?

CNN has a story on Silicon Valley bigwigs moving into the political arena. They are tracking former eBay chief Meg Whitman in her race with Steve Poizner for the Republican nomination for California governor in 2010. Poizner also has a few high-ranking, high tech jobs on his resume, including selling his company SnapTrak to QualComm before becoming the state’s insurance commissioner.

The CNN story looks at other tech-savvy politicos and their success. The story concludes:

In the end, there is no real proof that wrestling fans helped get (Jesse) Ventura into Minnesota’s state house or that space enthusiasts helped elect John Glenn to Congress. But, as (Republican strategist) Allan Hoffenblum notes, women and techies are two powerful voting blocs in California.

Since game developers also tend to be an opinionated lot, with a lot of interest in government because of the money involved in their industry, it begs the question: What game developers would make the best politicians? It would be interesting to see how John Carmack or Warren Spector stand on various issues.

Who do you think would make an interesting political candidate?

DarkSaber says:

So "formerly talented" might be more applicable. Successful games  != talented designers every time, just good marketing. These days.

The Bullfrog games WERE amazing, but what about since then? Bullfrogs been dead for what, 10, 12 years now? Since then, he’s been all hype no substance.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

axiomatic says:

Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk of Bioware, sure I would vote for these guys in a political arena.

Derek Smart or Brad McQuaid…. not so much.

Edit: Oh and "Dude Huge" for President!

Magic says:

On the grounds of successful games, however you look at them. His Bullfrog-era games were amazing, they didn’t need lavish interviews stating the intricacies of how they were going to revolutionise everything.

Magic says:

See anything said by Peter Molyneux in the last 15 years. I think he’s highly talented, but the claims he makes of his games often turn out to be hyperbole, much like a politician making promises.

Zerodash says:

Politicians are the lowest form of human life.  Given the choice, I would rescue a crack-addicted prostitute over ANY politician.

When the hell did politics become a career anyway?

DarkSaber says:

You might be thinking more of publishers than developers.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Magic says:

I’ve long thought that marketing ‘spin’ and interviews where words are carefully chosen yet persuasive – that sort of nonsense – draws parallels to politicians.

Look at some of the promises devs make to those that actually fulfil them!

JDKJ says:

It appears that Whitman may not have been too concerned with political matters before declaring her candidacy. She’s got a history of never registering to vote or actually voting in elections. I’m sure her opponents will pound her over the head repeatedly with this history.

DarkSaber says:

He’s a damn sight more likeable and popular round these parts than you bucko.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

chadachada321 says:

There are plenty of extremes on the left side also…I’d say there are Libertarian/Populist extremes too, but these ones are much less vocal/well-known because the media/government/people doesn’t recognize them.

gamadaya says:

Considering how low the bar is set at this point, I’d say yes. All they would really have to do is not act like a fucking tool 100% of the time and it could be considered an improvement over what we have now. Seriously, with some of these ultra-right wing idiots, I’d be all for just picking someone at random.

Believe in something! Even if it’s wrong, believe in it!

-Glenn Beck

black manta says:

What about John Romero?  "Making you his bitch in 2012!"

Seriously, though, I think Warren Spector would be a good choice.  And Wil Wright (all those Sim games should at least give him the know-how for urban planning), or Peter Molyneux.  Sid Meier should also know a thing or two about running a country come to think of it.  Maybe even Tim Schaefer, too.  If you want to get the fringe vote, maybe even Richard Garriott or American McGee.

aIM hERE says:

You guys are missing the obvious.

I hereby nominate Derek Smart for the United States Senate!

This guy maintained a Usenet flamewar against his detractors for years on end! Nobody on the senate floor could hope to outfilibuster him! He has the skills!

It’s time to end the War on Terror, and time to begin the War on Vending machines! Get Smart in 2012!

JDKJ says:

All I know is that Whitman’s running on a promise to axe thousands of civil servants as a means of balancing the State’s budget. In a State where unions make and break politicians, that ain’t too smart.

Alex says:

This, pretty much.

I’m not under the affluence of incohol as some thinkle peep I am. I’m not half as thunk as you might drink. I fool so feelish I don’t know who is me, and the drunker I stand here, the longer I get.

DarkSaber says:

All I can comment on are the ones we tend to see quoted here. Hell NO they wouldn’t. Most of them never seem to consider implications of what they say and act surprised when what they thought was an innocent comment/swipe/joke blows up in their face.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.