U.S. Gamers Play More Than EU Counterparts

September 30, 2009 -

83% of the U.S. population plays games, enough to eclipse their equals across the pond from a small selection of European countries.

GamesIndustry.com recently disclosed results from its Today’s Gamer series of surveys, which polled populations in the U.S., United Kingdom, France, Germany, The Netherlands and Belgium.

Runner-up to the U.S., in terms of the total percentage of the population playing games, was the U.K., with 73%, followed by the Dutch (70%), Belgium (67%), Germany (65%) and France (63%).

U.S. gamers also led the way in hours spent playing per week, averaging 10.5 hours, almost double that of the second place French, who averaged 5.5 hours a week gaming.

In every country surveyed, at least 60% of the population over the age of eight played games. More graphs are available for viewing here. Specific reports for each European country are also available.

Comments

Re: U.S. Gamers Play More Than EU Counterparts

Yeah... Is that why nearly every MMO that comes out the French, Chinese, korean, or other euopean nation is the first to finish all end game content within the first 2 weeks?  Yeah... We might play more, but they are more HARDCOOOORE. lol.

Re: U.S. Gamers Play More Than EU Counterparts

Well this story can't be right. That would mean that at least 60% of the population of all these countries are young children! They're the ones who play video games you see.

Re: U.S. Gamers Play More Than EU Counterparts

I have no opinion on this article.. I just want to say that the picture that goes along with it is HILARIOUS.

Re: U.S. Gamers Play More Than EU Counterparts

It helps that the US pays half the price of the others for the hardware and software.....

Until lobbying is a hanging offense I choose anarchy! Stop supporting big media and furthering the criminalization of consumers!! http://zippydsmlee.wordpress.com/

---

Patreon

Deviantart

Re: U.S. Gamers Play More Than EU Counterparts

I think this is very much a part of why we pay less. The market can support it.

Re: U.S. Gamers Play More Than EU Counterparts

Such would not be mentioned.

Still I am curious what the point is.  People in the EU tend to get more holiday (read as vacation) time than Americans.  Maybe all that extra playing time is just working off stress.

Re: U.S. Gamers Play More Than EU Counterparts

*Plays bigot* Maybe it's because in Europe you can actually go outside and play without getting killed. */Bigot*

Re: U.S. Gamers Play More Than EU Counterparts

Tell that to my brothers best friend who got stabbed to death at the end of my road a few years ago.

--------------------------------------------------

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

-------------------------------------------------- I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Matthew Wilsonmetaphorically speaking of course04/17/2015 - 9:40pm