One Mouse Click Later, Thompson FB Group Removed

Tuesday afternoon, Jack Thompson sent me his press release announcing that he was suing Facebook "for posting 'Jack Thompson Groups' that call for his death and physical harm."

Thompson sent three faxes to Facebook’s CEO demanding the immediate removal of the offending groups but after five weeks had received no response and the groups remained where they were.

I asked Thompson if he had tried simply clicking on the Report Group link (found at the bottom of every Facebook group) or emailing abuse@facebook.com.  According to the Facebook Safety page, complaints submitted via these methods will be addressed within 24 hours and those who email will receive a response within 72 hours detailing what actions, if any, were taken.

He responded by calling me a "total moron."

So, I browsed Facebook and found about 80 Jack Thompson groups.  Most were of the "I Hate Jack Thompson" or "Jack Thompson is a Douche" variety but I did find three that condoned violence towards the man.  I picked a group called "I will pay $50 to anyone who punches Jack Thompson in the face" and clicked the Report Group link.  Unsurprisingly, the group was removed less than a day later. (Old link to the now deleted group)

Incidentally, this particular group turned out to be the first of four cited in Thompson’s complaint.

So, you’re welcome, Thompson.

Glad I could help.

-Reporting from San Diego, GamePolitics Senior Correspondent Andrew Eisen…

106 comments

1. Saxy says:

We’ll get the Burger King to fix this… oh, look! Jack scared off the Burger King! That was supposed to work the other way ’round…

2. Ryno says:

Classical Latin is indeed remedium, yes. But vulgar had all sorts of parallel words used by the common people and soldiers, like the Romans who colonized Spain, France, etc.

Saying that Jack Thompson is impotent is an insult to impotent men everywhere. They’ve got a whole assortment of drugs that can cure their condition; Jack, however…

3. 1AgainstTheWorld says:

And that makes people pay attention to him.  Jack likes attention.  On some level, I suspect he also likes being miserable.  So he has something to throw fits about.  So people pay attention to him.  Vicious cycle.

4. Andrew Eisen says:

The Atari one and "Jack Thompson Should be Removed from the Populace" are the other two in his complaint.  (Amusingly, also the other two I identified when pawing through the groups.)  His forth was one of the "I Hate Jack Thompson" groups.

Andrew Eisen

5. JDKJ says:

The Spanish word for the English "cure" is "cura." It can also mean "priest."  The Latin equivalent is "rememdium" (literally "remedy").

6. Ryno says:

I reported the Atari group. We’ll see if it’s gone tomorrow.

Let’s see what else there is? There were four of them in the original suit, correct, the $50 and Atari ones have been identified. What are the others? And as AE posted, there’s scores to work through, almost all of which are simply standing up to the man and his lunacy without being abusive or violent.

Edit – added a few more just for fun: Jack Thompson is a Fag, Blow Jack Thompson out of the water, and Jack Thompson Should be Removed from the Populace. Two of them were new as of today, I think, but the more we do to steal his ammo, the better we make ourselves look.

7. Ryno says:

Curus is probably a vulgar form for "cure" which is also its vocative, one of the more popular forms used when making an English noun out of a Latin one. Maybe one of our Italian or Spanish friends can chime on whether there’s a form of cure in their language.

8. Zerodash says:

The best part about Halo 3 was that he filed to have it banned in Florida (public nusiance) mere days before its September 25 launch.  His court filing claimed it was coming out October 25.

This is the same man who mispelled "Florida" in one of his filings…to say nothing of the 3rd grade grammar and spelling errors his documents are known for.

9. shaoron says:

I think the correct description is to… "be a baby and throw a hissy fit about every bug bite and cry wolf at the sight of everything"

10. JDKJ says:

In all fairness, it was Pete Gallagher who opined on Thompson relevance. This article was written by Andrew Eisen who, to the best of my knowledge, hasn’t ever opined on Thompson’s relevance and has consistently posted to the Shoutbox and the backpages about all manner of things related to Jack Thompson – regadless of whether he looked good or looked bad in so doing.

11. Kincyr says:

Jack would ignore any and all personal safety precautions if it meant getting him a lawsuit

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

12. SbEguy says:

There’s one thing about this story that doesn’t make sense to me. Am I supposed to believe that Jack "Fax Machine Killer" Thompson sent only 3 faxes to facebook?

13. gamadaya says:

Cure is remedium (Not sure about the ending). Cura can mean tons of stuff. It even has a verb form. In fact, I see a note in my book that says curo can mean cure, but I’ve never seen the word curo before.

——————————————————–

Believe in something! Even if it’s wrong, believe in it!

GET OFF MY PHONE!

-Glenn Beck

14. Skillz817 says:

He responded by calling me a “total moron.”
    ——————————————–

Too bad JT fails to see the irony in that statement.

15. jadedcritic says:

Like he "destroyed" Microsoft for launching Halo3, when he blocked the launch with sheer righteousness?  Oh wait, they bowled through him like a semi through wet tissue paper. I remember!

16. Zerodash says:

100% chance AE will be considered by JT to be a collaborator with Facebook in their Strauss Zelenick led crusade against him.

In JT’s insane little world, the removal would be "an admission of guilt" and he will then destroy Facebook- just like he did to Dava Tunis, Take Two, etc.

17. chadachada321 says:

I thought curae was "cure"? Unless the ending for cure is different, might be curus or something. (Latin 101 student right here ^^)

18. Mechadon says:

Also this just gave me an idea for a new intiative. How about all of us gamerpolitics readers keep an eye out for these such Facebook groups give a helping hand to keep it clean of the more extreme hate groups. Just think of the message it would send. Jack would no longer have something to point a finger at, and would show that the majority of us gamers aren’t as blood thirst as he claims.

19. gamadaya says:

Amicus Curiae. Amicus Curae would mean something like "friend of the managment". I got an A on my Latin test today for sure 😀

And this is so full of win I can’t believe it. We should do this more often. Don’t make fun of JT, just help him with shit. It will drive him crazy.

——————————————————–

Believe in something!

Even if it’s wrong, believe in it! GET OFF MY PHONE!

-Glenn Beck

20. Doom90885 says:

I said it before I say it again: Jackie can throw the ball but he obviously can’t catch. He’s just a bully that loves to attack others VERY MALICIOUSLY. But when someone amkles the slightest comment or pokes the slightest fun at him, he’s having a f**king tantrum threatening to sue everyone in a 50 mile radius. I don’t think Jackie got enoug hugs as a toddler because goddamn he sure acts like one.

21. Mechadon says:

In Jack Thompson’s view, people who use Facebook are sinners. (and Facebook is also a video game)

By clicking the Report Group button, he would be participating in a sinful act against God.

22. DavCube says:

Wa wa wa waaa-*shrug*

*explosion*

Oh, nice, you broke the wa-wa machine! Those aren’t cheap, you know!

/nostalgiacritic

23. jadedcritic says:

I don’t know, anyone ever wonder, what if he doesn’t actually want them removed?  I mean, with them gone, he’d have to find something else to complain about no?  Maybe report Slashdot for being a "in league with the terrorists", I saw a JT discussion over there this morning.

Reporting is the net 2.0 socially responsible thing to do, it’s not jack’s element. You do what you know. Jack knows pitching a fit, threatening love notes, and faxicide. (shrug) He does what he knows.

Hey, here’s a thought.  What say we all go report the physically abusive groups to get them removed, JUST to screw with the lawsuit/give FB a means to move for dismissal.

24. SpaceGhost2K says:

See, it wasn’t so much that Thompson wanted them gone. He’s a media whore. He wanted them gone AND he wanted to get his name and his face in lights… even they’re only the size of leetle peexils.

He could have pressed the button, but all that would have done was solve the problem. This way, he gets his spoke stroked, too.

25. hellfire7885 says:

He won’t drop the suit, as there are still people on there who dare disagree with him, and to him that’s exactly the same as a death threat.

26. Father Time says:

So he calls you a total moron for trying to help? What the hell? If he didn’t think it was going to work he should’ve still tried the report group feature since it’d give him something to fall back on if facebook really was ignoring him.

—————————————————-

27. JDKJ says:

Jack Thompson’s not interested in any solutions. He’s interested in fertilizing the problem and watching it grow.

28. MechaTama31 says:

That doesn’t help him at all.  What he’s after is attention, and simply getting the group removed doesn’t get him any.

29. JDKJ says:

That would be Chief Judge Moreno of the Southern District. Thompson, best that I can tell, moved to have Moreno disqualify himself and refer the matter to the District’s Ad Hoc Committee responsible for lawyer discipline and raised all the ridiculous arguments he previously raised during his Florida Bar proceeding (e.g., religious persecution, vast chicken wing conspiracies, loyalty oaths, etc., etc., etc.). Perhaps needless to say, Chief Judge Moreno wasn’t buying any of that bullshit and eventually ordered the lifetime revocation of Jack-O’s admission to appear before the Southern District. Since then, Jack-O, as is his wont, has been claiming that Judge Moreno has foolishly put himself right where Jack-O wanted him and threatening a Bivens suit and various other legal actions against His Honor.

I’m uncertain if he can but he should be arrested for being a clear danger to himself and others. That’s my personal, non-professional opinion.

30. DarkSaber says:

Credit where credit is due, well played Mr. Eisen!

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

31. CK20XX says:

Hey, question.  Whatever happened with that U.S. District Court judge who gave John Bruce 30 days to explain why he shouldn’t also be disbarred from federal court?  I never heard the end of that, though it seems safe to assume that the result was complete and supreme disbarment.

Also, on what grounds might this loon get arrested in the future?  I know, he’s entertaining because he’s so harmless, but the saga has to end when ratings drop.  Personally I’m still amazed at the amount of crud he’s gotten away with.  There’s gotta be ways to report abuse like this so he can get his just desserts.

————————-

"They were retarded hairless pink bunnies, all of them. Except Shigeru Myamoto and… well, the good ones were just too /rare/ to be worth bothering about." – Mason Hornblower on the extinction of the human race

32. Adrian Lopez says:

Of course he called you a "total moron". Reporting the offending groups through the proper channels would result in the groups being removed, and then he would have no excuse for a lawsuit.

33. Beacon80 says:

This is rather reflective of Thompson’s behavior in general.   To him, the appropriate response to any problem is to raise a big fuss, even if there are much simpler ways of dealing with it.

34. nightwng2000 says:

"-Reporting from San Diego, GamePolitics Senior Correspondent, and guy who apparently knows what a ‘Report Group’ button is better than the total moron John Bruce ‘Jack’ Thompson does,  Andrew Eisen…"

There.  Fixed for truthiness.

🙂

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as http://groups.myspace.com/pfenl

35. Arcanagos says:

EPIC WIN.

"Go ahead and hate your neighbor, go ahead and cheat a friend. Do it in the name of Heaven, Jack Thompson’ll justify it in the end." – nightwng2000

36. Andrew Eisen says:

From what I understand, the Report Group links are completely anonymous.  They have no way of knowing who hit the link so from Facebook’s perspective, it could have been Thompson.

Andrew Eisen

37. Ryno says:

Don’t forget about me!

38. Ryno says:

Yes, but I’ve never had that unique experience which is communicating directly with Jack. I’d like to see how quickly he can go from 0 to "moron" in response to a well-worded, gramatically-correct letter. You know, get the whole Jack Thompson experience before he’s in some sort of cell.

39. Kincyr says:

although Facebook has on the records that the offending sites were reported properly, by people other than Jack Thompson, and removed as promptly

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

40. Alareth says:

With one simple mouseclick, in "JT Land" Andrew has not only guilty of harrasment, but he has actively commited obstruction of justice by eliminating a charge in the legal filing.

41. Andrew Eisen says:

"I’m amazed you could find one single "I hate Jack Thompson" group."

His lawsuit had a screenshot and hyperlink.

"I’m trying to decide if I should email him kindly to let him know the offending sites have been removed – through the proper channels – and that his lawsuit is now completely void."

He already knows and, of course, he’s taking credit for it and claiming victory.

Andrew Eisen

42. Ryno says:

Thanks, I guess I missed that in all the joy.

I’m amazed you could find one single "I hate Jack Thompson" group. That’s half of their names right there. I wonder if Jack sought it out in particular or picked one at random?

I guess we now know what he’s been spending some of his copious spare time doing.

Edit – I’m trying to decide if I should email him kindly to let him know the offending sites have been removed – through the proper channels – and that his lawsuit is now completely void.

43. Andrew Eisen says:

I actually replied to you earlier with the names of the other two goups.  Nevertheless, they are gone too.  All four from Thompson’s complaint have been removed:

"$50 to punch him"

"Hit him with an Atari"

"He should be removed from the populace"

"I hate Jack Thompson" (There are a lot of those but the specific one from his complaint is gone.)

Andrew Eisen

44. Ryno says:

I know we took out two of them, the $50 and Atari, but I haven’t seen which others he mentioned specifically, so I guessed on the other two. One mentioned kicking him the head, the other called him a fag, and we all know how homophobic he is so I think that one was probably on the list.

I didn’t report "Jack Thompson is a Douche" because it’s wrong to censor the truth. That once could have been on his list.

There’s been a number of new groups popping up ever since the suit was announced, so it’s hard to tell. But most of those seem tame and mocking.

45. BearDogg-X says:

All 4 groups that the Metropolitian Moron of Miami specifically mentioned?

Geaux Saints, Geaux Tigers, Geaux Hornets, Jack Thompson can geaux chase a chupacabra.

Saints(3-4), LSU(7-0)

46. Ryno says:

I can now report that the three groups I reported on Facebook have now been removed. That’s AE and I: 4, Jack: 0, a number he’s very familiar with.

47. JustChris says:

Send all the faxes you want, Thompson. Mark Zuckerberg has all the moola to buy replacement fax machines.

48. Sai says:

Don’t you know in Thompson’s world anyone who uses common sense and logic is a "total moron"? How dare you point out his frivolous lawsuits are frivolous!

49. MartyB says:

Dealing with Jack Thompson is like playing chess with a pigeon.  It knocks all the pieces down, shits on the board, flies to his friends and claims victory.

50. Coach says:

For some reason, I picture Jack back at his lab saying "The same thing we do every night Pinky, try to take over the world!"

51. Craig R. says:

I’m still wondering why Jack hasn’t been locked away in a room with rubber wallpaper. It’s quite obvious by now that one day he’s going to completely snap and become a threat to himself and other people.

52. JDKJ says:

I see. All a company has to do in order to trump federal law is promulgate a contrary standard. That’s good to know. I wonder why no company has promulgated the "we don’t pay federal income tax" standard and trump federal tax law requiring that they do. Silly of them not to, ain’t it?

Jack-O should just man up and admit that he don’t even care about all that legal mumbo-jumbo he’s spouting and that as long as his lawsuit results in him being able to obtain hundreds of fresh hits from his daily Google-search of his own name, then his lawsuit serves its primary purpose.

@AE: And if you didn’t already know, the required response when Jack Thompson states the law is to ask him for some legal authority in support of his statement of the law. Then wait for him to not provide you that authority (because he has none) and, instead, childishly call you names.

53. Defenestrator says:

I’d argue that I’m far more of a "digital expert" and a "law expert" than Thompson is on the basis that I have reading comprehension skills higher than a 5th grader.

54. Andrew Eisen says:

Here’s Thompson’s comments on the CDA:

"Facebook, by its actions, has admitted that it was violating its own “Terms of Use” by allowing terrorist postings (which company standards trump the federal Decency Act, unbeknownst to digital experts the media interviewed about Thompson’s lawsuit about Facebook)."

Andrew Eisen

55. JDKJ says:

Not only does the CDA immunize Facebook from liability, but under Florida law a claim of emotional distress (the first two Counts of Jack-O’s Complaint) requires a plaintiff to allege and prove that they suffered a physical impact by external force or that their emotional traumatization had a physical manifestation and Jack-O’s Complaint alleges neither. Additionally, while reciting a litany of harms (slashed tires, prank calls, his house being shot at, etc., etc.), he hasn’t alleged – nor can he prove – that these harms are causally linked to anything Facebook did or didn’t do. I’d be surprised if Facebook’s Answer to Jack-O’s Complaint wasn’t accompanied by a Motion to Dismiss for Failure to State a Claim based on various valid grounds.

56. Defenestrator says:

I know everyone here knows this, but Jack won’t be getting a settlement of any sort.  Why?  Because all the Facebook lawyers have to do is respond to Jack’s suit requesting an immediate dismissal on the grounds that they are protected under the Communications Decency Act.  The judge will look at that, then laugh himself silly over Jack’s typos and conspiracy theories, and throw the case out.

The End.

57. mitch079 says:

Y’know, he should team up with the Ultimate Warrior.  They’re both batcrap insane and are their own biggest fans.  Imagine the ego stroking that would go on there.

58. BearDogg-X says:

If Thompson were any smarter, he’d be a complete retard.

Saints(3-4), LSU(7-0)

59. Kincyr says:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again:

Jack Thompson called Andrew Eisen a "total moron" for noticing the "report group" link at the bottom of every group page in question. If a "total moron" noticed the proper notification tool and Jack didn’t, what does that make him?

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

60. JustChris says:

People should function like computer software- they need to shut down once they throw an exception they didn’t catch themselves.

61. magic_taco says:

He’s such a "Saint" when it comes to him logging on LJ or GP and cyber-harrassing/stalking site users then adding insult to injury by threatening to sue them or the site owners if his posts dont get taken down.

"Saint"…I mean not "Saint"…I mean "monster".

62. shaoron says:

a whiny old fashioned guy who’s close mindedness is laughable…

seriously.. telling him already what the fastest and most effective solution is and he flips his finger at you (figuratively speaking) needs a good "slap to the forehead"… you know.. a facepalm

63. Kris says:

You know, in his defence…and I can’t believe I just said that….

But his way is an old fashioned sort of way.  He’s an older guy, been doing things a certain way for a while.  So maybe he really believes that sending a fax is more effective than clicking some button on a webpage.

64. Zerodash says:

That was around the same time as him demanding everyone provide their real name and addresses so he could have the FBI arrest GP posters for daring to disagree with him.

What a lovely "man".

65. nightwng2000 says:

Someone may have already mentioned this above, but I’m in a rush.

This reminds me of the "Stop emailing me or I’ll sue you for harassment!" emails he sent out because he was too stupid to set his LiveJournal accounts to not inform him when someone replied to one of his LiveJournal GP comments.

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

66. Kincyr says:

you forgot to put quotes around the words ‘press release’

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

67. networkingyuppy says:

Mr. Thompson shouldn’t be so smug about just because he doesn’t have an asshole nor that he should claim credit for some one else’s suggestion.

-Your friendly video game lobbyist

68. Zerodash says:

I’m suprised he managed to have the time to sue Facebook since he is so busy leading that shareholder revolt at Take Two.  Oh, and there are all those websites he is launching, too.

69. Erik says:

Well you see much like law, Jack doesn’t really know all that much about the internet or technology.  Such as back in the GP Livejournal days when he threatened to sue everyone who emailed him.  But what he failed to realize is that due to the subscribe to thread email updates function being active, that no one was actually personally mailing him.

Just let that sink in.  Through Jack’s actions he CHOOSE to get these automatic email updates.  Then when he got the emails that he choose to recieve, he threatens people who have no control of the automaic system.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

70. Andrew Eisen says:

The only thing he sent in response was the press release GP reported on earlier: "Instant Confirmation from Around the Globe that Jack Thompson’s Suit against Facebook Is a Winner."

Andrew Eisen

71. The Hangd Man says:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! HAHAHAHAHAHA! HAHAHAHA!

Ah. Ah. Wait a sec, wait a sec.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Ahh……. *whew*. Funniest thing I’ve read in a while. What a complete and total maroon.

I hate broccoli/ and think it totally sucks/ Why isn’t it meat?

72. black manta says:

Pretty much this.

He probably called Andrew a moron because he was angry that he so cleverly unravelled his "brilliant plan."  He probably figured he could make a cool several million in a settlement alone by raising a big stink with threatening legal action.  Then Andrew had to come along and simply point out that all he had to do was use the "Report" button.  I can just imagine JT in his lair, shaking his fist a la Dr. Claw going, "Curse you, Andrew Eisen for foiling my brilliant plan!  CUUUURRRRSE YOOOOOUUU!!!"

73. Meohfumado says:

Is it actually surprising that a serial litigator would want to litigate over the issue instead of using a common feature to address abuse?

I lol’d because he called you a moron for it though…

"You know what I wish? I wish all the scum of the Earth had one throat and I had my hands about it."

74. GrimCW says:

agreed, JT is just one of those who can’t accept defeat in a total loss, and will turn it into a moral win somehow despite the obvious evidence otherwise.

to him this will be his win, not anyone elses.

he’ll claim his actions got the pages removed, no one elses, because no one else is capable of mindful thinking and using the infamous "report" button that almost every web site that has public contribution and access, has.

TBH JT should be eating his own words on a daily basis, but instead i think he ops for the steaming pile of shit he serves himself fresh from his own bowels.

75. Vake Xeacons says:

Its like the pot calling the silverware "black"!

I swear, JT likes the hate he receives. We should start a "Jack Thompson Emotional Support Group." That will drive him out of (whats left of) his mind!

76. Ryno says:

Class act, AE

77. Austin_Lewis says:

Watch out, if you do that again, he’ll only be able to claim 40 million dollars at most.  Then he might add you to the lawsuit.  I’m sure he’s desperate for money by now, what with his unsellable book and his lack of a real job.

Comments are closed.