One Mouse Click Later, Thompson FB Group Removed

October 1, 2009 - Andrew Eisen

Tuesday afternoon, Jack Thompson sent me his press release announcing that he was suing Facebook "for posting 'Jack Thompson Groups' that call for his death and physical harm."

Thompson sent three faxes to Facebook’s CEO demanding the immediate removal of the offending groups but after five weeks had received no response and the groups remained where they were.

I asked Thompson if he had tried simply clicking on the Report Group link (found at the bottom of every Facebook group) or emailing abuse@facebook.com.  According to the Facebook Safety page, complaints submitted via these methods will be addressed within 24 hours and those who email will receive a response within 72 hours detailing what actions, if any, were taken.

He responded by calling me a "total moron."

So, I browsed Facebook and found about 80 Jack Thompson groups.  Most were of the "I Hate Jack Thompson" or "Jack Thompson is a Douche" variety but I did find three that condoned violence towards the man.  I picked a group called "I will pay $50 to anyone who punches Jack Thompson in the face" and clicked the Report Group link.  Unsurprisingly, the group was removed less than a day later. (Old link to the now deleted group)

Incidentally, this particular group turned out to be the first of four cited in Thompson’s complaint.

So, you’re welcome, Thompson.

Glad I could help.

-Reporting from San Diego, GamePolitics Senior Correspondent Andrew Eisen...

Comments

Re: One Mouse Click Later, Thompson FB Group Removed

Too funny :D

Can we see the letter Thompson sent back to you in response?

Re: One Mouse Click Later, Thompson FB Group Removed

The only thing he sent in response was the press release GP reported on earlier: "Instant Confirmation from Around the Globe that Jack Thompson’s Suit against Facebook Is a Winner."

Andrew Eisen

Re: One Mouse Click Later, Thompson FB Group Removed

you forgot to put quotes around the words 'press release'

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

岩「…I can see why Hasselbeck's worried about fake guns killing fake people. afterall, she's a fake journalist on a fake news channel」

Re: One Mouse Click Later, Thompson FB Group Removed

Oh the irony of him calling you a total moron.

Re: One Mouse Click Later, Thompson FB Group Removed

Its like the pot calling the silverware "black"!

I swear, JT likes the hate he receives. We should start a "Jack Thompson Emotional Support Group." That will drive him out of (whats left of) his mind!

Re: One Mouse Click Later, Thompson FB Group Removed

People should function like computer software- they need to shut down once they throw an exception they didn't catch themselves.

Andrew EisenOooh, Atlus sale in the 3DS eShop. I might have to bust open my piggy bank. http://www.siliconera.com/2014/09/22/shin-megami-tensei-iv-atlus-games-sale/09/22/2014 - 7:21pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.pcgamer.com/2014/09/23/steam-update/ steam finally adds content Curation. I like that the user can pick which peoples recommendations they want to see.09/22/2014 - 7:16pm
MaskedPixelanteNintendo put three dual-gendered characters in Smash Bros 4.09/22/2014 - 7:13pm
Andrew EisenWhat did Nintendo do thrice in one game?09/22/2014 - 6:48pm
MaskedPixelanteYou know it's a bogus defense when Nintendo of all companies does it THREE TIMES in one game.09/22/2014 - 6:29pm
E. Zachary KnightIt is stupid that they went with the "It would be too much work to add a woman assassin" defense rather than just being honest and admiting they didn't think about it until it was brought up.09/22/2014 - 6:06pm
E. Zachary KnightYeah, this is a different game and it is not out of the ordinary for them. THey did the same for the pirate one.09/22/2014 - 6:05pm
MaskedPixelanteTurns out it's less "impossible", more "part of the season pass, but only in an exclusive game that's separate from ACU proper".09/22/2014 - 6:01pm
MaskedPixelantehttp://www.joystiq.com/2014/09/22/assassins-creed-unitys-season-pass-includes-game-set-in-china/ Remember how Ubisoft said it was impossible to have playable females in Assassin's Creed Unity?09/22/2014 - 5:59pm
ZippyDSMleeIf publishers didn't play the region lock game then it would not be an issue.Tho I have seen more russian/chec games than asia ones on ebay.If they do not like it then mabye lower thier region prices to make alitte vrs none.09/22/2014 - 9:54am
MaskedPixelantehttp://hexus.net/gaming/news/industry/74981-pc-game-code-stripping-widespread-says-report/ Thievery, or perhaps the very idea of capitalism? You decide!09/22/2014 - 9:47am
MaskedPixelantehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDPCmmZifE8 John Oliver exposes Miss America.09/22/2014 - 9:00am
james_fudgeI reiterate now - not one email to-date.09/22/2014 - 8:37am
james_fudgeAnd this: https://archive.today/uIjwE09/22/2014 - 8:37am
james_fudgeLet me put this here: https://archive.today/hbtQJ09/22/2014 - 8:35am
InfophileRelevant to this site: http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/015984.html#015984 - Apparently allowing comments to be downvoted leads to worse behaviour09/22/2014 - 6:18am
Andrew EisenMP - I love that game but damn my squadmates are bozos.09/21/2014 - 10:05pm
MaskedPixelanteSWAT teams should be banned until they; 1. Learn not to walk into enemy fire, 2. Learn to throw the flashbang INTO the doorway, not the frame and 3. Stop complaining that I'm in their way.09/21/2014 - 9:53pm
Craig R.I'm getting of the opinion that SWAT teams nationwide should be banned. This probably isn't even the most absurd situation in which they've been used.09/21/2014 - 9:26pm
Andrew EisenAnd, predictably, it encouraged more parody accounts, having the exact opposite effect than what was intended.09/21/2014 - 7:07pm