One Mouse Click Later, Thompson FB Group Removed

October 1, 2009 - Andrew Eisen

Tuesday afternoon, Jack Thompson sent me his press release announcing that he was suing Facebook "for posting 'Jack Thompson Groups' that call for his death and physical harm."

Thompson sent three faxes to Facebook’s CEO demanding the immediate removal of the offending groups but after five weeks had received no response and the groups remained where they were.

I asked Thompson if he had tried simply clicking on the Report Group link (found at the bottom of every Facebook group) or emailing abuse@facebook.com.  According to the Facebook Safety page, complaints submitted via these methods will be addressed within 24 hours and those who email will receive a response within 72 hours detailing what actions, if any, were taken.

He responded by calling me a "total moron."

So, I browsed Facebook and found about 80 Jack Thompson groups.  Most were of the "I Hate Jack Thompson" or "Jack Thompson is a Douche" variety but I did find three that condoned violence towards the man.  I picked a group called "I will pay $50 to anyone who punches Jack Thompson in the face" and clicked the Report Group link.  Unsurprisingly, the group was removed less than a day later. (Old link to the now deleted group)

Incidentally, this particular group turned out to be the first of four cited in Thompson’s complaint.

So, you’re welcome, Thompson.

Glad I could help.

-Reporting from San Diego, GamePolitics Senior Correspondent Andrew Eisen...

Comments

Re: One Mouse Click Later, Thompson FB Group Removed

Too funny :D

Can we see the letter Thompson sent back to you in response?

Re: One Mouse Click Later, Thompson FB Group Removed

The only thing he sent in response was the press release GP reported on earlier: "Instant Confirmation from Around the Globe that Jack Thompson’s Suit against Facebook Is a Winner."

Andrew Eisen

Re: One Mouse Click Later, Thompson FB Group Removed

you forgot to put quotes around the words 'press release'

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

岩「…I can see why Hasselbeck's worried about fake guns killing fake people. afterall, she's a fake journalist on a fake news channel」

Re: One Mouse Click Later, Thompson FB Group Removed

Oh the irony of him calling you a total moron.

Re: One Mouse Click Later, Thompson FB Group Removed

Its like the pot calling the silverware "black"!

I swear, JT likes the hate he receives. We should start a "Jack Thompson Emotional Support Group." That will drive him out of (whats left of) his mind!

Re: One Mouse Click Later, Thompson FB Group Removed

People should function like computer software- they need to shut down once they throw an exception they didn't catch themselves.

MattsworknameBIG: how does that make sense?08/05/2015 - 12:18am
Big PermLenny Kravitz penis has been trending all day08/04/2015 - 11:45pm
MattsworknameSo far, Win 8 gave me nothing but problems08/04/2015 - 11:18pm
MattsworknameI;ll see what I can come up with tomarow08/04/2015 - 11:16pm
ZippyDSMleethose is the issue.08/04/2015 - 10:47pm
ZippyDSMleeOdd, even with admin? I have UAC turned off so I do not have to fuss with it too much, also in order to run FO3/NV you need DX,VC++ 010, mmm might try and download VC++ distro pack both 32 and 64bit from 8 to 2012 or so and isntall them see if one of thos08/04/2015 - 10:46pm
MattsworknameTried that 2 zippy, it still wouldn't work08/04/2015 - 10:43pm
ZippyDSMleeI have had to run NV in compatibility mode before. I have both FO3 and NV running fine with a bunch of mods on win8.108/04/2015 - 10:24pm
MattsworknameI did the direct x 9 fix, issue remains08/04/2015 - 10:13pm
MattsworknameI've had issues with it since the start really, as soon as I tried to run it on Win 8.1, vegas woudl crash as soon as i launched it, even when using the base game08/04/2015 - 10:12pm
MattsworknameManta: I run into issues the moment I try to use any mods. and some times even no mods08/04/2015 - 10:09pm
MattsworknameChris ray gun on the gawker media scandel from a few weeks back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apGv0KTV9IM08/04/2015 - 10:08pm
black mantaFunny, Matt. I've been able to run it from Steam no problem.08/04/2015 - 10:02pm
Big PermDo you need Directx 9.0c still? Should be a manual download for win 7/808/04/2015 - 9:55pm
MattsworknameBlack manta; I've been trying to get vegas and 3 to work on windows 8 for months and no method I tries fixed it manta08/04/2015 - 9:53pm
Big PermOh wow, yeah cleared my entire history and now suggestions are subs instead08/04/2015 - 9:15pm
Big PermI think you can mecha. Unless it's just removing it from your UI and still tracking it behind the scenes08/04/2015 - 9:11pm
MechaTama31It would be nice if Youtube just let you delete a video from your history, like Netflix does.08/04/2015 - 9:09pm
black mantaF3 and NV have long been since fixed. They run great on Windows 8 and 8.1. And there's also the Unofficial Patch for F3 and the Mission Mojave patch for NV in case they don't.08/04/2015 - 9:05pm
MattsworknameYeah Big, but for those who had the game for long times, it is to late for that08/04/2015 - 8:43pm