Mario & Sonic Heading to Rio?

The International Olympic Committee has given the 2016 Summer games to Rio de Janeiro, sending Chicago, Tokyo and Madrid home looking toward 2020. Our shoutbox has been atwitter with the news, so for this item only, we have become Olympic GamePolitics. And in a not-so-stunning assumption, Sega is probably booking flights for Mario and Sonic to Brazil in 2016.

The plumber and hedgehog challenged each other in Beijing in 2008, and plan to go head-to-head again in Vancouver in 2010. Sega even has a web page for the official video games of the Olympics. It stands to reason that this dynamic duo will take their competition to London in the summer of 2012 and to Sochi, Russia, in the winter of 2014.

While many game sites rated the Beijing game average at best, sales for the game were still strong worldwide, according to the game’s Wikipedia entry. So despite the criticism, Sega decided to continue with the tie-in and if their jaunt to Vancouver is a fiscal success, I suspect we’ll see them galavanting around the world every two years with the rest of the Olympic athletes.

There was no official word from Sega.

Wormdundee says:

This is kinda off topic from the conversation here, but they really got to you eh? The Olympics are not a symbol of uniting the world blahblahblah. The Olympics haven’t been about the competition or unity or whatever for a long time, they are a symbol of consumerism. I live in Vancouver and sure it’s cool that the Olympics will be here, but I really wish they hadn’t. Then some other city could be wasting millions of dollars on a farce.

mdo7 says:

I’m also aware of that. But this is all the past, and one person who is racist does not make the whole Olympic racist.  I’m also aware with other controversies in the Olympic also.  But after this person, I don’t see anymore racism in the Olympic.  Why is one person this important, I don’t like that guy’s view also.

JDKJ says:

You must not have looked him up very thoroughly.

As recently as the Munich Games in 1975, while Brundage was still President of the IOC, he gave a very controversial speech seemingly supporting the apartheid policies of South Africa and made the much criticized decision to continue staging the Games in the aftermath of the murder by terrorists of Israeli athletes.

mdo7 says:

Thanks for the info, I kind of look him up on Wikipedia.  Well, this person lived in the 1930’s, so racism is very common during that year.  But what Zerodash say doesn’t make any comeplete sense, this is the present.  I don’t see any racism today, so he doesn’t make any sense.

JDKJ says:

There are any number of decisions, actions, and statements by Avery Brundage, who was a member of the U.S. Olympic Committee and for many years the President of the International Olympic Committee, that support the proposition that he was both a racist and an anti-Semite and ran those organizations in keeping with his philosophies on race and ethnicity.

If you’re interested in reading about Mr. Brundage’s racism and anti-semitism and the impact he had on the Olympic Games, here’s a scholarly exploration:

"Elvis was a hero to most but he never meant shit to me. A straight-up racist, the sucker was simple and plain. Motherf*** him and John Wayne." – Public Enemy, "Fight the Power"

udx says:

I demand Stephen Colbert in the next Mario and Sonic title.

What is a game?(throws wine glass on the floor and it breaks to pieces) A miserable little pile of secrets.

JDKJ says:

While a number of Disney’s productions from the 1940s contain stereotypical and demeaning portrayals of Blacks – so much so that they’ve been re-edited for recent re-issue or simply never re-issued – it may be unfair to credit this to any racism on Mr. Disney’s part. It could just as well be a case of art imitating life. After all, it was the 1940s, a time when it was perfectly acceptable to demean Blacks by forcing them to drink from separate water fountains.

Zerodash says:

Obama went to the Olmpic Comittee to schmooze them into having the olympics in Chicago.  They didn’t agree, hence they are racists.  Jimmy Carter says so.

Adrian Lopez says:

I don’t know whether the people who run the Olympics are racist, but the games certainly seem like a great way to highlight the political boundaries that separate us from our fellow man.

mdo7 says:

Zerodash, I’m afraid I have to agree with the other guy.  What do you mean it’s racist?  If it’s racist then how come there are athletes from around the world with different ethnicities doing sport together.  I watch the olympic every 2 years (winter and Summer).  Because to me Olympic are symbol of uniting the world and diversity.  Also, it also promote globalization which I support greatly.  The best of all for this one is good sportsmanship.  The only reason you think the olympic is racist because you made it racist!!!  Give me evidence that the Olympic is racist.

mdo7 says:

OK, because the IOC didn’t agree with Obama, that make them racist.  If they’re racist how come they have the Olympic.  If they’re racist, then the member would be bunch of bigots and they wouldn’t be putting the Olympic in Rio, but maybe in England, or other place which is run by racist people.

JDKJ says:

I’m not sure if the criticism bears as much validity today as it once did in the past but, given the history of the USOC and the IOC, it isn’t as entirely far-fetched as it may sound. Two words in support of this notion: "Avery" and "Brundage."