Scots Attempting to React to Proposed Irish Tax Breaks

October 13, 2009 -

A lack of fiscal autonomy could affect Scotland’s bid to stop Ireland from poaching game development companies.

While Sir Gerry Robinson previously proposed that Ireland try to lure Scottish developers with a five-year tax holiday, Michael Russell, Scottish Minister for Culture, External Affairs and Constitution, lamented to Inc Gamers that Scottish Parliament does not have the ability to alter its own tax structure, making it difficult to entice companies to stay. Russell hopes to secure full fiscal powers from the UK in order to “respond to the needs of our industry."

Despite the competition, Russell said Scottish developers were opting to stay put:

I am pleased that many companies that are based here are choosing to stay here, despite the financial incentives that might be on offer elsewhere.  We are committed to supporting them and creating the infrastructure to enable to them to thrive.

TIGA, the UK trade association for game developers, continues to lobby for tax breaks throughout the region.

Posted in

Comments

Re: Scots Attempting to React to Proposed Irish Tax Breaks

Actually, Gordon Brown's Labor Party which is Britain’s version of the Democratic Party pushed them to do it but absolved themselves of all reasonability of the release. Right now Gordon Brown's Party is set for a record defeat in the way Neville Chamberlain lost.

Looks like the United Kingdom is tired of political corruption and High Taxes and another Administration that loves to appease it's enemies. Did you know dogs in Britain must wear little slippers not to offend Pakis?

Oh yeah, back to what I was going to say….

Lies all these people love taxing businesses overseas, we should tax them and not do Tax Breaks!

Re: Scots Attempting to React to Proposed Irish Tax Breaks

Did you know that "Pakis" is an ethnic slur? Did you know you're still crazy as a one-legged bed-bug? And twice as dumb?

Re: Scots Attempting to React to Proposed Irish Tax Breaks

^_^

Re: Scots Attempting to React to Proposed Irish Tax Breaks

Scotland has the authority to release a convicted terrorist/mass-murderer into freedom, but cannot alter its own tax structure?  Governments are so strange...

Mattsworknamei I hope there is, I love that series.04/25/2015 - 5:59pm