Professors Study Human Response to Games

October 16, 2009 -

A couple Iowa professors have set up a video games lab designed to study how people respond when playing video games.

The professors have acknowledged that video games are becoming an important part of our life, and their Video Game Institute for Education and Research is designed to measure responses to those playing games, such as heart rate, respiration and skin response, according to a report by KPTH Fox 44 News in South Dakota.

The Morningside College instructors, psychology professor Susan Burns and computer science professor Dean Stevens, have already collaborated on two other video game studies without their lab. The pair want to continue their research into online gaming and gaming addictions to educate consumers to give them a better understanding about video games:

"It has such a huge affect on who we are as a people and so it's important to realize what's happening with video games and how they affect us," says Stevens.

"We feel it is our role, our purpose, to not just gather the knowledge and keep it to ourselves, but to educate the public as well," says Burns.

Opinion: It is refreshing to see researchers taking what appears to be an objective approach to a study, with education as the goal, as opposed to scare tactics. But, we still need to see how the final results are presented in the end.

Posted in

Comments

Re: Professors Study Human Response to Games

I'm pretty sure there are people out there that will pay $300, $1000, or even a million for a particular title that has been discontinued for over 20 years. Some games are just... Awesome.

I hope the research goes through well. So, I can determine if I'm insane or not :o

----------------------------------------

---------------------------------------- "Because this town is under the stranglehold of a few tight eyed Tree Huggers who would rather play Hacky Sack than lock up the homeless" -- Birch Barlow

Re: Professors Study Human Response to Games

I am more empowerd by music than any other medium. No matter how much I might like a game , I have never suddenly had a massive desire to twitch my thumbs when I see a game being played, but a good song makes my feet or hands start tapping to the rythm without me even recognizing it.

"

Re: Professors Study Human Response to Games

I wonder if it would match whatever reserch showen for film and books. IE people are excited over thier media of choice.

Until lobbying is a hanging offense I choose anarchy! Stop supporting big media and furthering the criminalization of consumers!! http://zippydsmlee.wordpress.com/

---

Patreon

Deviantart

Re: Professors Study Human Response to Games

""It has such a huge affect on who we are as a people"

Glad to see they aren't going into this with any preconceptions or anything.

--------------------------------------------------

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

-------------------------------------------------- I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Re: Professors Study Human Response to Games

I'm glad these two are researching important things like videogames and not cancer or something silly like that.

Re: Professors Study Human Response to Games

Sheesh, put the claws away.  I'm guessing they're not medical doctors, which would largely rule them out as cancer researchers.  There have been enough calls (whether honest or misguided) by politicians and society for research on video games that we shouldn't be surprised that some should answer it.  And the one benefit of science is researching something that interests you.  I wouldn't begrudge these folks that.

You want cancer research...get an advanced degree and research it yourself!  :)

ZippyDSMleehttp://www.wired.com/2015/04/dmca-ownership-john-deere/04/21/2015 - 1:58pm
ZippyDSMleeMatthew Wilson: Classic shell ^_~04/21/2015 - 1:56pm
Matthew Wilson@zipp I dont like the star menu taking up the whole dam screen, so just getting the start menu back will be worth it.04/21/2015 - 11:19am
ZippyDSMleeI got a extra HDD I will take win 10 for a spin. see if tis worthwhile heck if I do not have to move colums over in Skyrims creation kit its a keeper!04/21/2015 - 10:53am
ZippyDSMleeMatthew Wilson: Been on win 8.1 a few months the only thing I do not like is compatibility issues with older programs. 10 won't fix that sadly...04/21/2015 - 10:51am
E. Zachary KnightThe US Supreme Court has ruled that the 4th Amendment does offer US citizens some protections. This is a change of pace from other 4th Amendment rulings. http://reason.com/blog/2015/04/21/supreme-court-says-police-violated-4th-a04/21/2015 - 10:35am
E. Zachary KnightNot sure on that specific. But It is slightly annoying, but it can help to clairfy on occasion.04/21/2015 - 10:13am
IvresseCan I just ask out of curiousity why people repeat the title in their shout when it clearly states it in the URL?04/21/2015 - 9:07am
E. Zachary KnightI would say that is true. It drives me nuts when games are patched. The closer the patch is to launch, the worse it is.04/21/2015 - 9:06am
PHX Corphttp://www.npr.org/2015/04/19/400829880/when-video-games-are-patched-gamers-lose-trust-in-reviews When Video Games Are 'Patched,' Gamers Lose Trust In Reviews04/21/2015 - 9:03am
IvresseWell Totalbiscuit's port report video was positively glowing about it...04/21/2015 - 4:05am
MattsworknameHey, slightly off topic, but, anyone got a good sugestion for a flight stick for elite dangerous?04/21/2015 - 12:38am
Matthew Wilson@pm intreasting the gta5 port was already good from what I have read.04/20/2015 - 9:32pm
Papa Midnighthttp://www.pcgamer.com/gta-5-pc-patch-reduces-cpu-usage/04/20/2015 - 9:00pm
PHX Corp@zippy I'm Probaly going to Warn my uncle who is a techie that it may come out at the end of july04/20/2015 - 8:45pm
Matthew Wilson@zippy I want windows 10 badly, but that is because I am stuck on 8.1 yuk. that being said the new dx12 looks very good, and the reported performance gain from it.04/20/2015 - 8:00pm
ZippyDSMleeMy body is readY! http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2015/04/20/amd-microsoft-to-launch-windows-10-at-the-end-of-july04/20/2015 - 7:54pm
PHX CorpI may have posted this before but a leaked email from Sony pictures has the MPAA written all over it http://www.extremetech.com/computing/203654-leaked-sony-emails-show-mpaas-opposition-to-fair-use-confirms-users-are-viewed-as-thieves04/20/2015 - 4:53pm
Mattsworknameyet another reason the DMCA should be dismantled and rewritten04/20/2015 - 4:41pm
Matthew Wilson@zippy that is worse than the ESA thing.04/20/2015 - 4:26pm