40 Hour GTA IV Marathon Earns Indian Youth Laudits

An Indian youth recently spent over 40 hours straight playing Grand Theft Auto IV, and instead of a one-way ticket to ReStart, he received congratulations and a spot in the record books.

That’s because Chirantan Patnaik of Mumbai set a Guinness World Record with his gameathon, surpassing the previous GTA IV-specific endurance mark of 28 hours and one minute, which was set by a U.S. gamer last year. Patnaik lasted a total of 40 hours and 20 minutes reports ZeeNews, with Guinness rules mandating a 10-minute break every hour.

Patnaik prepared for his binge by running and practicing yoga. He added that avoiding coffee and eating dates (the fruit) helped him stay alert during the session. An avid gamer, this was the first time Patnaik had played GTA IV.

Indian gaming portal Zapak sponsored the event and provided observers. The company’s COO, Rohit Sharma, offered the following about Patnaik:

We have always believed in the potential of Indian gamers. Chirantan’s success is a proud moment for the Indian gaming industry. This will encourage more youngsters to take gaming seriously.

24 comments

1. mentor07825 says:

I suppose we should all be proud of at least one thing, even if it is just this small thing.

"God, is that you?"

"No! It’s a me, Mario!"

2. Wormdundee says:

That seems like an odd stance to take. Why is this a proud moment for the Indian gaming industry? They didn’t make GTAIV and I wouldn’t be proud of someone playing a game for 40 hours, just like I’m not proud of someone carving pumpkins, or doing jumping jacks for 40 hours.

The whole quote actually kind of creeps me out.

3. Father Time says:

Should I be proud or ashamed that I seem to be the only one here who hasn’t gone on 12+ hour gaming binges?

—————————————————-

4. PumaFau says:

Somewhere in Miami an ex-lawyer is preparing a moronic statement

Never underestimate the power of idiots in large amounts.

5. Zero Beat says:

Someone should play through Lost Odyssey (I heard the opening cinematic is over 2 hours long) or the next Final Fantasy game in one sitting, doing all side quests, with breaks for the bathroom as needed, while eating and using the bahtroom during cutscenes only.  Those count as time spent playing the game, right?  You could totally take a power nap during that time, too.

"That’s not ironic. That’s justice."

6. Bennett Beeny says:

If that’s the world record, I reckon I could beat it no problem.  I used to work night shifts and then stay up all the next day so I’m used to staying up 40 hours straight.  It’s not even that hard even when you’re NOT doing something exciting like playing a great game – I used to do it while drinking beer too.  It’s hardly something a person needs training for.  Hell, I could play 40 straight hours of Assassin’s Creed tomorrow if I wanted to.

Somehow I don’t reckon that record will last long.  48 hours should be a doddle too, as long as the game has enough content to allow it.  Now if it was 60+ hours, THAT would be something to write home about.

7. Speeder says:

Also Guiness actively refuse to accept attempts on breaking the record on being on fire. (Yes, there are people that want to attempt that…)

criadordejogos.wordpress.com

8. Father Time says:

Isn’t it a rule that if you die in the attempt you don’t get in the guiness world record book?

—————————————————-

9. JDKJ says:

And not get the free year’s supply of all the Guinness they can drink? That’s not very bright of them.

10. DarkSaber says:

I bet there are people who have beaten his record in private who never bothered trying to get it recognized as a record, or hyped themselves up by acting like they had to go through some gruelling Rocky montage to do it.

For example, wasn’t there that kid in Asia somewhere a few months back who died after spending over 48 consecutive hours playing an MMO?

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

11. JDKJ says:

C’mon. Give the kid some credit. He had to train for his record by running and doing yoga. Then, in actually setting his record, he had to avoid coffee and dates. While Mr. Ear Hairs did nothing more than sit in front of a T.V., waiting on his ear hairs to grow.

12. DarkSaber says:

That’s like saying having a 1 inch penis beats having a half-inch penis though.

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

13. chadachada321 says:

…THAT is a record? I could beat it without even breaking a sweat! The only reason I would have trouble is from getting BORED of playing the game! 10 minute breaks every hour means that I’ll have plenty of time to poop and eat, and if I take an adderall pill about halfway in, I won’t have a need to sleep for another 15+ hours. That record would be cake.

14. Kabyk says:

First of all, taking 10 minutes of every hour off, is not making it a marathon. I dont mean 10 minutes every so often, or a limited amount of 10-min breaks allowed. Mandated that, so every hour is only 50 minutes. This is not a world record people.

I remember my roommate and I alternate sleeping for 3 hours during a few days during college winter break so we can get the most time we can to play FF12. And the rotating started the night we got the game, which we obviously played all day long.

And yes, people have broken this record easily (which is only roughly 33.5 hours after subtracting those mandatory 10-min breaks. yeah, they add up quickly).

It seems India, nay Guinness Book, nay THE WORLD, underestimates the gaming community.

15. DarkSaber says:

Well inall fairness, Guiness, in the last few years, HAVE dropped and refused to take into consideration a number of record-attempts, precisely because they don’t want to be seen as encouraging certain things, mainly to do with consumption I believe.

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

16. nightwng2000 says:

:: Checks watch.  ::

:: Fidgets.  ::

:: Checks watch.  ::

Any time now.

Yep.

Any time now.

You know someone :: Ahem :: will be condemning Guiness any time now.  Or maybe claim that it’s evidence that Guinness is encouraging this behavior.  Or that it’s "proof" of something negative.

Yep.

Any time now.

:: Checks watch. ::

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as http://groups.myspace.com/pfenl

17. JDKJ says:

Beats holding the Guinness World Record for Longest Ear Hairs (which is an actual category, coincidentally held by another national of India):

Radhakant Bajpai

18. DarkSaber says:

Someone should have told this idiot that when we argue gamers can be achievers too, this isn’t what we mean.

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

19. Zerodash says:

According to the "conventional wisdom" spewing from cesspools like politician’s offices, lawyer’s offices, and churches- this guy should be going on a random killing spree at any moment.

20. JDKJ says:

"avoiding coffee and dates (the fruit) helped him stay alert during the session"

And avoided the need for a doo-doo break every 30 minutes.

21. Cerabret100 says:

We have always believed in the potential of Indian gamers.

well that’s good an all, but i didn’t know it needed to be proven, or that sitting in front of a screen for an ungodly amount of time proved it.

Maybe i’m just jealous, my biggest binge was 50 hours of KH2 in 3 days.

Comments are closed.