Virtual Goods Lead to Real Benefits for Haitian Kids

FarmVille users on Facebook have taken advantage of a program launched by the games developer to donate almost half a million dollars to a pair of nonprofit agencies in Haiti.

Zynga launched Sweet Seeds for Haiti about three weeks ago reports VentureBeat, offering its 56.0 million users a chance to make a difference by having a portion of the price of virtual sweet potato seeds sold in the game go to the nonprofits FONKOZE and FATEM.

FATEM President Jacky Poteau said that over 500 children have been affected positively by the donations, allowing them a chance to escapes poverty and gain a better education.

FONKOZE is an alternative bank for the poor, while FATEM dedicates itself to improving the basic needs of the community, with a focus on education and alleviating hunger.

So the next time someone tells you to stop wasting time on Facebook, tell them you’re simply making the world a better place.

DarkSaber says:

And therein lies my problem. They are using the "50% goes to charity" line to encourage people to spend more money with them, therefore increasing their own profits. It’s a cynical marketing ploy.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

DarkSaber says:

The company behind it is Zynga. If they aren’t skimming a little something off the top, bottom and sides for themselves from the donations, I’d be very surprised.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

SeanB says:

I was part of this donation. Did my part, and it didn’t cost me a cent. I signed up for a couple advertised items, got some spam in my email, and in the end some kids in haiti got some money.

Literally something for nothing.

Craig R. says:

Considering that Zynga makes some of the most profitable – and annoying – games on social networking sites, I can’t help but wonder what their cut is of this.

DarkSaber says:

Yeah, invites for this and other slacktivism games have been annoying me on Facebook for a good month now. Nothing a quick click of "Block Application" can’t fix though.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Father Time says:

Worse comes to worse we’ll still have Counter Strike. Counter Terrorists Win

Andrew Eisen says:

Facebook.  Myspace.

I just don’t see the appeal (other than perhaps a convenient way to share pictures with your friends and family).

Then again, I don’t enjoy multiplayer games so I suppose it’s not surprising that I’m not a fan of social networking sites.

Andrew Eisen