UK Conservatives Scored on Game Issues

November 4, 2009 -

A piece up on The Sixth Axis website poses the question, “What if: The Tories Win” and goes about breaking down what a Conservative Party win might mean for the UK developers and gamers.

The article kicks off by describing the ways politicians can shape gaming, including tax breaks for developers, deciding how games are rated and influencing the speed of Internet connections.

Ed Vaizey, Shadow Culture Minister is the focus of most of the piece, with the author offering “WIN” or “FAIL” grades for Vaizey’s inferred stances or public remarks on topics ranging from integration of videogames into the UK Film Council (a “WIN”), ways to help grow UK game development (a “FAIL”), developments in broadband (a “WIN” and a “FAIL”) and Internet piracy (a “WIN”).

Details on the “WIN” grade for involving the UK Film Council in games:

One of the best ideas from the Conservatives is to integrate video games in to the UK Film Council, a body that looks after the economic, cultural and educational aspects of the UK film industry both here and abroad. The council also distributes Lottery money to finance new independent UK films and I would assume they would to the same for games. This could lead to a more PSN and XBLA games.

The author finishes with an overview of the Shadow Culture Minister:

He appears to be enthusiastic about gaming and he does not assume that anyone who plays GTA IV will go and chainsaw a nearby prostitute – this is a very good thing. The bit where he understands gaming does not turn you in to a psycho, not the chainsawing of prostitutes.


|Image via LOLMart|


Comments

Re: UK Conservatives Scored on Game Issues

It seems rather silly to cast your vote based on videogames. Between education, enivornmental concerns, crime, and the wars, videogames should be of pretty low importance.

Re: UK Conservatives Scored on Game Issues

Seriously i cannot see how the Tories or Labour are noticably different on any subjects, the least of which being video games...

They are both minor variations of the same party and the broken FPTP voting system heavily biases the system to those two parties only...

They often wonder why people vote less than they used to... Could it possibly be due to there being no choice at all?

being 29 i've voted consisntently for over 10 years, but i know for a fact not a single vote of mine has counted for anything under FPTP because i haven't voted for either of the two major parties...

Re: UK Conservatives Scored on Game Issues

Clearly a Lib Dem voter.


Re: UK Conservatives Scored on Game Issues

Replacing the devil with Satan will most certainly help.

Sorry, but it was the Tories under Ms. Thatcher who started this whole business of "video nasties" and massive media censorship.

If you want alternatives, vote for other parties instead!

ZAR.

Re: UK Conservatives Scored on Game Issues

The Conservatives didn't start the Video Nasty business, it was a campaign run by the Times and Daily Mail. The DPP List of Video Nasties was created by the courts (not the Government) and Mary Whitehouse was a massive campaigner against the films. The Conservatives as the government of the time had to create laws to fix the problem due to mounting public pressure.

Anyway even if they were "behind" it all, why are we to say that they'll repeat everything again. They've got a different leader and most of those MPs are long gone. It seems like the same when people say you shouldn't vote Tory because they're anti-gay because what they did 20 years ago, even though all their policies today are in support. What political parties can't change? That's a very basic form of politics you have there.

I can only go on what the parties say now, not what they said twenty years ago, but now and the Conservatives show a definite support for the games industry unlike the Labour party (Lib Dems I have no idea).

Re: UK Conservatives Scored on Game Issues

And now it is time to get out the pink glasses of conservative reality perception...

> The Conservatives didn't start the Video Nasty business, it was a campaign run by the Times
> and Daily Mail.

"They didn't do it! It was the man with the eye patch!"

And the Times and Daily Mail are *what* newspapers? Owned by *whom*?

> The DPP List of Video Nasties was created by the courts (not the Government)

And *who* "inspired" the courts and ordered them to do so? They did so by their very own motivation and free will? And why then exactly at that point in time?

Especially, since this moronic discussion had been going on since... the 1940s!

And don't tell me that about that time there were some criminals pretending to be "inspired" by gory videos and violent films - THAT discussion had also been going on since the 1930s and no one would consider it "serious". (The very same "argument" had also been brought up against books and newspapers btw.)

> and Mary Whitehouse was a massive campaigner against the films.

Mary Whitehouse was a nutter and a massive denier of reality and the media and politics only took her serious when it fit into their agenda.

Her "power" was to create some great headlines whenever there was nothing else to report about.

If they hadn't paid so much attention to her idiocies she would have faded into obscurity by the late 1960s. And she always rallied those very same 20-30 morons for "her cause" that would show up with crazy demonstration signs and claim to represent "the public interest".

> The Conservatives as the government of the time had to create laws to fix the problem due to
> mounting public pressure.

"Those poor bastards had to do the right thing! We had to abolish democracy in order to save the nation!" Bullshit!

Then why did Ms. Thatcher use the topic for her very own ends? Because it would shift the attention from other fields of politics and some voters would believe that she was "caring" for the young.

Yeah, sure. By first making their dads and mums unemployed and then turning school and police regulations a lot closer to Orwell's idea of a police state - with a very special prejudice against young people.

> Anyway even if they were "behind" it all

Now wait a minute! Either they WERE behind it or NOT (visit Melonfarmers if you really don't know any better). You were CERTAIN at the beginning of your reply that it was the press and Mary "Nutter" Whitehouse.

> why are we to say that they'll repeat everything again.

Hello and welcome to reality! Conservatives can change too? Since when? Before or after the next election? Well, most certainly when it suits their agenda...

> They've got a different leader and most of those MPs are long gone.

Ms. Thatcher - who stood for this campaign and used it as often as she could - is still around and worshipped by them. Every day of the week. There is no criticism on her by the Tories. Not... a... word.

And I won't even ask how you want to prove that the "New Tories" are one iota different from the old ones (only Labour had to give up their principles and social ethics.)

> It seems like the same when people say you shouldn't vote Tory because they're
> anti-gay because what they did 20 years ago

This is ONE lame example! THIS topic is even older than the one about blaming media for social problems of society.

So what? Even the conservatives can't deny anymore that there is homosexuality and that it is a natural thing.

Isn't it more the case that they cannot WIN ELECTIONS with being openly anti-gay anymore since the people's OPINION itself has changed?

> even though all their policies today are in support.

Nobody trusts the conservatives after what they pulled off last time - and rightly so. They don't change.

The real shame is that the "alternative" Labour has become so much worse and turned into the very thing they once wanted to fight that even the Tories may seem to appear as "the better choice" now.

> What political parties can't change? That's a very basic form of politics
> you have there.

Conservatism is not a political party it's an ideology! And while Labour has become the spitting image of a conservative party it is the Tories who still worship Ms. Thatcher and thus prove, that no matter how much they claim that they have "changed and learned" there will be the same things going on - again - once they come into power.

> I can only go on what the parties say now, not what they said twenty years ago

There is the famous quote that no conservative gives a damn about what he said yesterday. And it's really naive to believe that they have changed in any way if they are still worshipping the very idol of all their former sins.

> and the Conservatives show a definite support for the games industry unlike the Labour party

First of all this is only ONE field of politics! And EVERY party will claim to be "industry friendly" at one point. Labour will come up with it as soon as they need it.

And the conservatives on the other hand won't give a damn if another campaign against "violent games" will suit their agenda to get more votes. It's always more important to rally those nutters to vote for them.

And while the gaming industry and the gamers may actually have some weight they are not much compared to other groups and other industries.

> Lib Dems I have no idea

The LDs are a hope in some respects... and a complete disappointment in others. Since this has also not changed since the 1990s it must be concluded that they will never turn into any serious competition for the big ones. A sad thing to say, I must confess.

ZAR.

Re: UK Conservatives Scored on Game Issues

You have a very simple (or perhaps just biased) view on politics.

Political parties don't change? Well you said the Conservatives never will but said Labour has, so what will it be? They do or they don't change? Or simply you hate the Conservative party and whilst you accept other political parties can change you believe that they can't.

We can believe anything all other parties say but not the Conservative, because they'll say anything to win votes. So when someone says "we support games" you say "I believe they actually don't support games, I don't have any evidence or reason to believe so, I just hate the party". In the past Vaizey has actually criticised Vaz and pointed out how false his statements were, even if the "nutters" supported Vaz's campaign.

So the Conservatives are still anti-gay then?

Even though all their policies are pro-gay, they have gay members and always talk about gay people in a postive sense you believe they're still anti-gay because you think so? Basically whatever they say is pointless to you because you just say "they actually mean something different" which is not based on facts but what you want to believe.


Your belief that they all worship Thatcher is just pathetic. Again not based on fact, just the fact that you want to believe that.

I love the way you keep shifting what you term as Conservative. You know full well I have always been talking about the political party named the Conservatives, not people with a conversative (ideology) viewpoint.

You go on about "Nutters" but from your points it's clear who are the nutters here, it's you!

Re: UK Conservatives Scored on Game Issues

Still, having someone in government who understands videogames is better than having someone in govenment who wants to blame videogames for almost everything.

 

TBoneTony

Re: UK Conservatives Scored on Game Issues

Well, in truth, it's only really Vaz who makes an issue of it.

The sad fact is, when it comes to having a coherent, plausible manifesto that appeals to the greatest breadth of voter, the Conservatives are the only real choice in the UK at the moment, and you know what? That scares the living bejeebers out of me...

Re: UK Conservatives Scored on Game Issues

Just be cynical and vote for Lib Dem, they'll never get in!

I'd hate to see the Tories get in (Cutting public spending is the last thing we need, deficit be damned:) but it's looking more and more likely and I don't know what Labour even stand for anymore.

Re: UK Conservatives Scored on Game Issues

Explain, why is cutting public spending the last thing we need? I'd say that reducing the deficit is very important if UK PLC is to maintain its international credit rating.


-- teh moominz --

Re: UK Conservatives Scored on Game Issues

Well, not literally the last thing we need, but I say it out of concern that we could head back to the Thatcher days of public spending cuts.

A quick Google suggests that Cameron wants to tackle it in a different way to Thatcher:
www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/sep/23/peter-mandelson-spending-brown

While a study states that there's a myth behind public spending cuts occurring at all during that time.
flipchartfairytales.wordpress.com/2009/09/25/even-thatcher-didnt-cut-public-spending-like-this/

*Sigh.* Ok, I don't know now.

Re: UK Conservatives Scored on Game Issues

Labour had said that they would increase public spending but never gave any figures as to where the money would come from. The public debt may not seem like much to worry about but as more investors lose their faith in this country our Pound gets weaker thus making everything more expensive (imagine what Activision could charge for their games!)

There are many people who will never vote for the Conservatives again after the Thatcher years, I feel the same, I will never vote for Labour thanks to the Blair and Brown years.

Back onto topic. The Conservatives are always more focused on personal responsibility and for the state to have less of a role in our lives, it seems Vaz (a Labour MP) believes in the nanny state.

 
Forgot your password?
Username :
Password :

Shout box

You're not permitted to post shouts.
NatirEnjoy your description. It is more funny to click the steam link though.. it is SFW.... "Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015: Do You Still Shower With Your Dad?" is a fast paced shower-simulation where you shower with your 8-bit dad. It's good, clean fun!08/03/2015 - 12:28pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/08/the-18-million-dota-2-international-2015-marks-the-end-of-an-era/ a good story about a dota 2 team that formed just for the international. it is basically a all star team of the best US and European players08/03/2015 - 12:27pm
Big PermIt's a link to a game where you're a naked child around a bunch of naked dudes. Indies must be stopped08/03/2015 - 11:17am
Andrew EisenAs always folks, please give some indication of what you're linking to as well as who.08/03/2015 - 11:15am
NatirIf someone linked this, sorry. I kind of laughed and I figured some may get a kick out of this... Really weird and creepy though. http://store.steampowered.com/app/359050/08/03/2015 - 11:12am
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08/03/new-article-about-konami-suggests-grim-situation-at-company well hopefully they will get out of game development after mgs508/03/2015 - 11:05am
IvresseSeriously IronPatriot, you're worse than a Daily Mail reader.08/03/2015 - 10:51am
Ivresse@IronPatriot: Will you stop lumping TotalBiscuit into this whole Gamergate issue, it's lying numpties like you who make up your own bullshit to justify your hatred to begin with that screw the internet up in the first place...08/03/2015 - 10:49am
ZippyDSMleeMost social justice is great but some of it is so stupid it taints the whole thing into triple negatives. A shame most of the gamergate stuff is bad...the core ideals are not bad it just jumped the shark and the n ut cases came out of the wood work..08/03/2015 - 10:07am
ZippyDSMleeJim dives into the red ash controversy , http://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/08/1876/08/03/2015 - 10:03am
IronPatriotSeriously people, do not believe crap spread by those who think "social justice" is an insult or that its a good idea to join a movement created for harassment. Like your gamergate hero TotalBiscuit.08/03/2015 - 9:32am
IvresseSeriously people, do not believe the shit that the internet spreads about anyone, especially with the whole gamergate SJW crap colouring the issue to the point of stupidity08/03/2015 - 9:14am
Ivresse@Big Perm: Only to the morons that inhabit the internet. Also his wife is damn awesome, I bumped into her when I had to catch my train before TB's meet and sign session, she ran to find TB, got him to sign my mousemat, then ran back to give it to me.08/03/2015 - 9:13am
MechaTama31I dunno. I'd rather see new characters than see, for example, someone other than Bill Murray try to be Venkman.08/03/2015 - 9:10am
Big Perm@ Ivresse. Is true that TB eats puppies?08/03/2015 - 9:01am
MattsworknamePS: hudson played winston zedimore08/03/2015 - 7:24am
Mattsworknameinfo: the orignoal cast wasn't part of Star trek, but the charecters in the movie were the same charecters. Ghostbusters with out stance, ego, venkman, and Earnie hudsons charecter, whose name I forget for some reason , feels wrong to me08/03/2015 - 7:23am
PHX Corphttp://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/08/scathing_nikkei_report_hints_at_shameful_treatment_of_staff_by_dictatorial_konami_management Scathing Nikkei Report Hints At Shameful Treatment Of Staff By Dictatorial Konami Management08/03/2015 - 7:15am
IvresseJust finished with Coxcon 2015 last night (convention in the UK organised by Youtube Jesse Cox). Was a damn good weekend meeting Jesse, Totalbiscuit, Dodger etc. and getting to ask them questions and stuff.08/03/2015 - 6:15am
InfophileReference for my comment earlier about Dan Aykroyd in the new Ghostbusters: http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jul/15/ghostbusters-call-dan-aykroyd-for-cameo08/03/2015 - 6:00am
 

Be Heard - Contact Your Politician