British MPs Battle Over Modern Warfare 2

Noted anti-game politician Keith Vaz is up in arms over Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

The Leicester East Labour MP made comments to the Daily Mail about the title, saying, “’I am absolutely shocked by the level of violence in this game and am particularly concerned about how realistic the game itself looks.” Vaz said he would let his concerns be known in Parliament this morning.

Meanwhile, West Bromwich East Labour MP Tom Watson told the BBC that Vaz’s remarks had pushed him over the edge. Watson responded by setting up a Facebook group called Gamer’s Voice, which is billed as “unashamedly pro-video games.” In recruiting people to join, the group asks, “Are you sick of UK newspapers and (my fellow) politicians beating up on gaming? So am I. The truth is, UK gamers need their own pressure group. I want to help you start one up.” 478 members have already joined. Watson writes on Twitter that he’s looking for a logo for the group.

In regards to Vaz, Watson stated:

Everything that comes out of Parliament in relation to video games is relentlessly negative. There are thousands of people employed in this industry, there are 26 million people playing games. We should have a much more balanced view of the industry, indeed we should be supporting them through difficult times.

While noting that he found the MW2 content in question “deeply repulsive,” and that he would not play it himself, Watson thinks that as long as a classification is in place and policed, there is no issue.

Thanks wardrox

sharpshooterbabe says:

I have joined & I’m standing up for my gaming rights on there.

"It’s better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not." – Montgomery Gentry

sharpshooterbabe says:

Yeah I know, People think that this game & others will NOT be good for others. So basically they are speaking for everyone, when "everyone" has a voice……& their own opinions. UGH! Yeah people do cease to amaze me.

Chuma says:

I took great heart from the way that the question from Vaz was answered and that Tom Watson stood up to defend the industry.  Maybe, just maybe, the new blood that has grown up on gaming is starting to stand up for it and not allow it to be a scapegoat for any of society’s problems.

Ratros says:

*sigh*  I guess none of these guys have watched a slasher flick have they.

I once had a dream about God. In it, he was looking down upon the planet and the havoc we recked and he said unto us, "Damn Kids get off my lawn!"

Drazgal says:

In the caseof Manhunt he wasn’t mislead, he was correctly told at the time and has been told over and over since then that there was no link.

Dispite this he has continued to use it atleast up until shortly before the Byron report (he might’ve used it since then but if so I haven’t heard), even after being told by the police officers and detectives in the investigation that there was no link.

GoodRobotUs says:

Originally, I’d agree, he was representing Stefan Pakeerah, incorrectly, however, this isn’t a situation where he’s been contacted, or even misled by the mother, or any other constituent, it’s him bandwagon jumping for popularity.

In the case of Manhunt, I could almost forgive him, because he was being misled, it wasn’t entirely his fault, he thought he was doing the ‘right thing’ because he thought there was a general link between the game and the murder (having been told as much by the mother), but there’s no such justification in this situation, he’s just picked something that affects his own sensibilities, has had no impact, and is accused of nothing, it’s just that he, personally, doesn’t like it.

He’s already aware of the systems put in place to protect younger gamers, he’s perfectly aware of the laws regarding them, so there was no call whatsoever to bring this up in Parliament other than a ‘look at me!’ moment.

Pug says:

Worth noting that 2 Labour MPs responded to the comments by Keith Vaz by basically telling him that the game is rated 18 and that in the UK that is seen as enough.  This was just Vaz making a pointless comment to get himself noticed… and he has…

State says:

Vaz does represent the people in his constituency. The mother of Stefan Pakeerah (whose murder was incorrectly linked to Manhunt) lives in that constituency and it was her wqho started Vaz off on his moral campaign. Granted that’s only one person in his constituency, but he is speaking about an issue that "affected" people in his constituency.

Regardless, you can always bet that Keith Vaz will be there to criticise the latest game causing some degree of controversy. I also think that it’s good that the other MP in question has said that whilst he himself does not like the content of Modern Warfare 2, he says that the right certification is in place and has left it at that.

GoodRobotUs says:

See, this is what Vaz never seems to quite figure out, he is elected to represent the people in his constituency , not as some kind of basis for imposing his own moral agenda on them.

MechaTama31 says:

Wow.  A politician who can tell the difference between what he personally finds offensive, and what ought to be banned for everybody.  Will wonders never cease?

Matthew says:

That almost makes me want to join Facebook. But then, y’know, the world might end or something.

<Standard comment about the Daily Mail goes here.>