Wii Bowling Cops Spared Tough Sanctions

November 11, 2009 -

Remember those Florida cops caught playing Wii Bowling following a drug raid?

Disciplinary measures for those who took part in the gaming party have been revealed and they are rather lenient. The Ledger reports that, following an investigation by the Polk County Sheriff’s Office, 11 members of the task force in all were found to be at fault.

Undercover detectives who were on the scene received a letter of retraining and will undergo two hours of retraining, while supervising sergeants earned a letter of guidance and were sentenced to four hours of retraining.

Sheriff’s Chief of Staff Gary Hester said, “We are learning from our mistakes. I'm absolutely convinced these folks will never do that again. I think we handled (the investigation) appropriately. We told them we were disappointed in what they did.”

The actual incident took place way back in March of this year, but was not brought to the public eye until September, when a local TV station obtained the footage captured by surveillance cameras.

Thanks Andrew

Posted in

Comments

Re: Wii Bowling Cops Spared Tough Sanctions

About right. It was unprofessional, but nothing really damning or anything.

"

Re: Wii Bowling Cops Spared Tough Sanctions

I commented on this article when it was released here.  I hit the nail on the head when I said what their punishment was going to be.  It's just and fair IMO.  Loitering and wasting time is probably what they got popped for.  A class 1 at my department.

Re: Wii Bowling Cops Spared Tough Sanctions

"We told them we were disappointed in what they did.”

And then they got 2 hours of timeout. Sounds like this PD is being run like a daycare.

Re: Wii Bowling Cops Spared Tough Sanctions

It's not like they played "beat the black man".

--------------------------------------------------

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

-------------------------------------------------- I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Re: Wii Bowling Cops Spared Tough Sanctions

A reasonable enough punishment, the whole situation will probably embarress them into not doing something like it again, but I doubt anyone here thinks they should lose their job over something like this.

Re: Wii Bowling Cops Spared Tough Sanctions

Well - wouldn't they be in violation of the EULA? Bascially 'pirating' a game?

After all - they didn't buy the software, nor would there be any reason to think they were 'licensed' to use it...

Re: Wii Bowling Cops Spared Tough Sanctions

I agree that no one should lose their job over this (In fact I think that sort of punishment happens far too much, resulting in people losing their entire careers over single mistakes) but it sounds like they're getting detention, despite making a mockery of a crime scene.

Matthew Wilsonand yes they went way way over budget from what I read.04/27/2015 - 12:33pm
Matthew Wilson@AE if they cancaled it there would be massive outrage, but people tend to be ok with a delayed game.04/27/2015 - 12:32pm
IvresseBleh, can't edit shout on my phone :-/04/27/2015 - 12:32pm
Andrew EisenHell, the Kickstarter itself raised WAY more than DF was asking but I saw no accusations of impropriety.04/27/2015 - 12:31pm
Andrew EisenA little over three years later (two and a half years after the estimated delivery date), the Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter finally delivered the game. Oddly, I never saw anyone accuse Double Fine of scamming or conning anyone.04/27/2015 - 12:30pm
Ivresse@PHX Corp: Not only that, but Konami have just delisted themselves from the NYSE:http://polygon.com/e/8267934?utm_campaign=polygon&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter04/27/2015 - 12:28pm
Matthew Wilsonwhile I felt bad for everyone outside the US who wanted to watch the HOTS finals, the fact it was on espn 2 in prime time is a major major step forward for video games.04/27/2015 - 12:14pm
james_fudgeThanks Papa!04/27/2015 - 10:43am
PHX Corphttp://kotaku.com/its-official-silent-hills-is-cancelled-1700379816# It's Official: Silent Hills Is Cancelled04/27/2015 - 9:48am
Papa MidnightI also hope that legislation holds the individual(s) who initiated the action is criminally liable for any and all harm that may come to persons involved (whether it be the cops or the victim(s)), as well as any property damaged suffered by any party.04/27/2015 - 8:16am
Papa MidnightJames: Small typographical error in the article for the NY Congressman's legislation: earlier is misspelled as "earlkier" (context: "Chuck Schumer (D) earlkier this month.")04/27/2015 - 8:14am
Matthew WilsonUC berkeley won, and they 3 years of free tuition for winning.04/26/2015 - 11:26pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://espn.go.com/watchespn/…/id/2497649/Heroes-of-the-Dorm heroes of the storm is being broadcast live on espn 2 never thought a moba would get a time slot like this on tv.04/26/2015 - 9:30pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://reason.com/archives/2015/04/09/the-dmca-chill-factor this is why the dmca should be changed or gotten rid off.04/26/2015 - 6:41pm
PHX Corphttp://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/04/assassins-creed-chronicles-china-review/ anyone seen this04/26/2015 - 4:19pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.destructoid.com/director-del-toro-says-silent-hi… Can not say I am surprised sadly. I feel bad for del Toro because every time he tries to do a video game project it falls apart.04/26/2015 - 1:42pm
Mattsworknamei I hope there is, I love that series.04/25/2015 - 5:59pm