China Smacks Down Game Operators Again

November 24, 2009 -

China is again cracking down on "low-brow" game operators.

The country's Ministry of Culture apparently has sent out another letter to game operators to stop providing "low-brow cultural content" and start offering games that are in line with the country's "core socialist value system," according to an article on Kotaku.

From the story:

The ministry's memo said violent games "have adversely influenced consumers and especially the physical and mental health of minors." It also ordered game companies to knock off the killin', both of humans and nonhumans. In particular they want them to refrain from "low-brow cultural content that is having a negative effect on the healthy development of the industry."

GP: Apparently it wasn't enough to ban a World of Warcraft expansion and hundreds of other online games, or to halt foreign investment in online gaming. Look for a Chairman Mao game, coming soon.

Posted in

Comments

Re: China Smacks Down Game Operators Again

"Look for a Chairman Mao game, coming soon"

So like Civ?

www.compoundeye.net/civ/epic02/19.jpg

Re: China Smacks Down Game Operators Again

Given that China steadily ascends to the status of the pre-eminent world superpower while America steadily descends to Hell in a hand-basket, maybe they know something we don't?

Re: China Smacks Down Game Operators Again

Simple, since 2001 the US has been heading toward the authoritarian form of government China has.  China is slowly (too slowly) peeling back Communist/Socialist oppression from their people.

Re: China Smacks Down Game Operators Again

Some would argue that they've only liberalized their economy from a command market to a more capital-based market and that politically they've changed not much of anything.

Re: China Smacks Down Game Operators Again

I'm pretty sure the people being whisked away in black vans, executed, and getting their organs sold on the black market would argue that. If they weren't dead. And if political opposition wasn't a capitol offense in China.

--------------------------------------------------

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

-------------------------------------------------- I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Re: China Smacks Down Game Operators Again

I bought a Chinese organ on the black market. Not only did it sound like crap, it wouldn't ever play in key. And good luck trying to make any sense out of the owner's manual. That thing read like a fortune cookie. *brrump-tish!!*

Re: China Smacks Down Game Operators Again

Ah China you are my perfect 1984 world.

Poll

Who's responsible for crappy Netflix performance on Verizon?:

MechaTama31I wish they would distance G+ from the Play Store, so I could leave reviews and comments again.07/26/2014 - 11:03am
Papa MidnightGoogle+ Integration is coming to Twitch!07/25/2014 - 8:41pm