China Smacks Down Game Operators Again

November 24, 2009 -

China is again cracking down on "low-brow" game operators.

The country's Ministry of Culture apparently has sent out another letter to game operators to stop providing "low-brow cultural content" and start offering games that are in line with the country's "core socialist value system," according to an article on Kotaku.

From the story:

The ministry's memo said violent games "have adversely influenced consumers and especially the physical and mental health of minors." It also ordered game companies to knock off the killin', both of humans and nonhumans. In particular they want them to refrain from "low-brow cultural content that is having a negative effect on the healthy development of the industry."

GP: Apparently it wasn't enough to ban a World of Warcraft expansion and hundreds of other online games, or to halt foreign investment in online gaming. Look for a Chairman Mao game, coming soon.

Posted in

Comments

Re: China Smacks Down Game Operators Again

"Look for a Chairman Mao game, coming soon"

So like Civ?

www.compoundeye.net/civ/epic02/19.jpg

Re: China Smacks Down Game Operators Again

Given that China steadily ascends to the status of the pre-eminent world superpower while America steadily descends to Hell in a hand-basket, maybe they know something we don't?

Re: China Smacks Down Game Operators Again

Simple, since 2001 the US has been heading toward the authoritarian form of government China has.  China is slowly (too slowly) peeling back Communist/Socialist oppression from their people.

Re: China Smacks Down Game Operators Again

Some would argue that they've only liberalized their economy from a command market to a more capital-based market and that politically they've changed not much of anything.

Re: China Smacks Down Game Operators Again

I'm pretty sure the people being whisked away in black vans, executed, and getting their organs sold on the black market would argue that. If they weren't dead. And if political opposition wasn't a capitol offense in China.

--------------------------------------------------

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

-------------------------------------------------- I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Re: China Smacks Down Game Operators Again

I bought a Chinese organ on the black market. Not only did it sound like crap, it wouldn't ever play in key. And good luck trying to make any sense out of the owner's manual. That thing read like a fortune cookie. *brrump-tish!!*

Re: China Smacks Down Game Operators Again

Ah China you are my perfect 1984 world.

Poll

Which video game platform are you most thankful for?:

Andrew EisenThe story you just linked to? The story you asked if anyone had seen? Yes, THAT obnoxiousness. I've heard it parroted for nearly two years now.11/27/2014 - 7:57pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen: That shes an ex con man?11/27/2014 - 7:54pm
Andrew EisenI've heard the same obnoxious horse poo for years. It's nothing new.11/27/2014 - 7:45pm
ZippyDSMleeAlso anyone see this? http://guardianlv.com/2014/11/anita-sarkeesian-unmasked-feminist-icon-or-con-artist/11/27/2014 - 7:28pm
ZippyDSMleeEvil within is a badly designed game.11/27/2014 - 7:28pm
Andrew EisenSure but you said "widens," hence my confusion. Looking into it, yep, there's a tweak to completely re-frame the image, adding more info at the top and bottom. You apparently need a fairly beefy rig to keep it running smooth when you do that though.11/27/2014 - 6:48pm
Matthew Wilsonthere is vertical fov, not just horizontal fov11/27/2014 - 6:38pm
Andrew EisenWell, you can widen it to 3:1 or even 10:1 but I don't know why you'd want to. From what I understand it's the missing visual info at the top and bottom that some object to, not that there isn't enough on either side.11/27/2014 - 6:36pm
Matthew WilsonI think it widenss the fov, so you get to see more.11/27/2014 - 6:31pm
Andrew EisenI don't see how as doing so would not add any visual information to the top or bottom of the screen.11/27/2014 - 6:04pm
Matthew Wilsonfrom what I read, getting rid of the black bars and stretching it out made for a better play experience.11/27/2014 - 5:59pm
Andrew EisenFrom what I hear, there's a ton of "look up and shoot at the guys above you" stuff in the game that the wider frame doesn't accommodate such actions well.11/27/2014 - 5:55pm
Andrew EisenHaving a game run in scope is not necessarily a bad thing but like any aspect ratio, you have to compose your shots correctly.11/27/2014 - 5:55pm
Neo_DrKefkaThe Evil Within was pretty bad and to make it worse the way the screen size made it hard for you to see even on a big screen it really hurt the game. Being Artistic is great but when you focus on art rather than what sells you run the risk of that happen11/27/2014 - 5:33pm
Matthew WilsonI kinda hope this is not true. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/11/nintendo_might_not_be_making_more_gamecube_controller_adapters_at_the_moment11/27/2014 - 1:34pm
Matthew WilsonI saw that. I wish people would stop preording, but sadly that will never happen.11/27/2014 - 1:26pm
Papa MidnightUbisoft has cancelled the Season Pass for Assassin's Creed: Unity (http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2ni2ac/ubisoft_cancel_season_pass_for_ac_unity/)11/27/2014 - 1:08pm
NeenekoBut now I can use the christmas discount justification too,11/27/2014 - 11:46am
NeenekoI am also sorely temped by Civ:BE, mostly because I have a demo coming up and I know my productivity will tank.11/27/2014 - 11:45am
MaskedPixelanteThe Evil Within is only a month old, right? And it's already 66% off...11/27/2014 - 10:29am