Console-based Emergency Alert System Testing Underway in NY

While it might not mean the end of the traditional air raid siren, New York State is currently testing a plan that uses networked videogame machines to send emergency alerts and warnings to the state’s population.

The alert system is just one component of New York State’s Empire 2.0 initiative, which is designed to make the state’s government more “transparent, participatory and collaborative,” reports Information Week.

New York State Deputy Chief Information Officer Rico Singleton thinks the plan to alert the populace via videogame consoles is a natural, “considering the amount of time our youth spend on video games.“

Other Empire 2.0 measures include monitoring Facebook in a bid to spot and stop potential suicidal behavior, using Second Life to train 700,000 Homeland Security first responders and publishing Senate bills online where members of the public can comment on and mark up proposed legislation.

CBell says:

Ha, that’s exactly what I was thinking.

"Oh man, I almost got this boss beat.  After 5 fucking tries, I’m two hits away from beating hi-"

Screen comes back on to game. "WTF, I’m dead now. FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU"

Neo_DrKefka says:

Great, thats all I need to be in a middle of a game havent saved about to and then I hear King Daley of Chicago telling me this is just a test and I lose hours of play.

Or I log back on to find me as the tank who was D/C caused the entire party to wipe

Chamale says:

Achievement Unlocked – Scavenger Hunt – 15 G

Tornado Warning – Southern Ohio – Category 4

This is a signature virus. Please copy and paste into your signature to help it propagate.

Arcanagos says:

Would it really be much different from the screaming kids?  I’m already half deaf in my right ear thanks to them, I don’t really think a siren would be much worse… 😛

"Go ahead and hate your neighbor, go ahead and cheat a friend. Do it in the name of Heaven, Jack Thompson’ll justify it in the end." – nightwng2000

Craig R. says:

I would like more information on the implementation of such a system.

Considering how sirens currently work (ie, LOUD), I can easily imagine them piping in siren noise through your gaming console. And pity on the souls who are wearing headsets.

JustChris says:

I vaguely remember an episode of Tiny Toons where Buster Bunny’s video game was interrupted by breaking news and he goes "Wow, it must be really important for them to stop you in the middle of a video game."

GrimCW says:

and this is why i don’t have facebook/myspace/any of that trash.

they just use it to paint whatever picture they want of you so if ya get outta line they can arrest you under false pretense of translating your words to fit their agenda.

as for this warning crap.. they’d better not, or i’m filing a complaint, TBH i don’t give a shit if that damned city gets blown into a heaping pile of rubble, leave me out of it. I live in NY STATE not city, and i simpley could care less if anyone wants to trash that place as it juices every penny the rest of us pay in taxes while we rot under the promise of all this new shit from the gov and senator… yeeahhh.. not gonna happen.

DarkSaber says:

Most of these seem fairly reasonable, but "Other Empire 2.0 measures include monitoring Facebook in a bid to spot and stop potential suicidal behavior" this crosses a line.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.