Donated Games Help Fund Disease Research

November 30, 2009 -

A website started earlier this year by the family of a boy stricken with a rare disease takes donated videogames and resells them, using the money to assist in finding cures for rare (or orphan) diseases.

GameZone details the story of DonateGames.org, which was launched by Jim Carol. Carol’s undertaking began two years ago when his then 11-year-old son Taylor was diagnosed with Philadelphia Chromosome, a rare form of Leukemia.  After uprooting his family and moving to Seattle in order to ensure Taylor had the best care possible, Carol became of aware of Penny Arcade’s Child’s Play charity and witnessed first-hand the positive effects videogames had on the afflicted youth, saying that games “played a big part in helping them get better.”

Carol acknowledged that his road to embracing videogames was not a direct one:

I’m a 50-year-old pop and I wasn’t a gamer. But I do believe in video-games, I don’t think they are bad, I think they are wonderful for education. My contemporaries jump to conclusions right away and think they (video-games) caused Columbine, and that’s just not the case. You will see, this year, a big part of what I’m going to be talking about in the media is that we need to change that opinion. Video-games are good and gamers are good, and they are benevolent, and they are kind and they are giving, caring people.

Carol also specifically called out HopeLab’s game Re-mission as scientifically proven in its ability to speed recovery time in sick children. The game, aimed at young people with cancer, was financed by eBay founders Pierre and Pam Omidyar.

NC Soft, Electronic Arts, Valve, Telltale Games and Paradox Interactive are among the partners listed on the charity’s website. The Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences made a donation to the program as well. Donated games are eligible for a tax credit equal or greater to what would have been received if the game was traded in.

Comments

Re: Donated Games Help Fund Disease Research

"gamers are good, and they are benevolent, and they are kind and they are giving, caring people."

Err, no not all of them are as demonstrated by all the slur-spewing creeps on voice chat.

----------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------- Debates are like merry go rounds. Two people take their positions then they go through the same points over and over and over again. Then when it's over they have the same positions they started in.

Re: Donated Games Help Fund Disease Research

Great Idea, glad to see the websites up and running. Now to see if they have any games I want :D

~Weatherlight~

~Weatherlight~

Poll

Will limiting Steam services to accounts that have spent at least $5 eliminate spammers?:

Andrew EisenI tinyURL'd it. The world is safe!04/24/2015 - 10:23pm
Andrew EisenWell, that is indeed crappy and nonsensical.04/24/2015 - 3:45pm
Andrew EisenFine but do you recall ANY details at all?04/24/2015 - 3:38pm
Andrew EisenI know there's not a lot of room in the Shout box but goodness you're being vague.04/24/2015 - 3:26pm
Andrew EisenGreat, but that STILL doesn't tell me what she said, why she was attacked (or what the attack was) or what "standard line" she's following. Details, man. Details!04/24/2015 - 3:25pm
Andrew EisenOr what the heck Nina White (someone else I've never heard of) is actually referring to.04/24/2015 - 3:24pm
Matthew Wilson@AE she is a game dev. she used to do stuff with hormanix and now works with https://outact.net/#!/?page_id=2 she will often engage and debate both side.04/24/2015 - 3:23pm
Andrew Eisen...following.04/24/2015 - 3:23pm
Andrew EisenYou mean focus on stopping the bad behavior of those who are doing it rather than condemning all the people that associate with them? Great. But I still don't know who Emma Clarkson is, what she said, why she was attacked or what "standard line" she's04/24/2015 - 3:23pm