Brazil Discussing Violent Game Ban

Brazilian Senator Valdir Raupp (pictured left) has authored a bill that would make it a crime to make, import or distribute “offensive” videogames in the South American country.

A story on the Brazilian website UOL (translation here) reports that the Education Commission of the Senate has approved the measure, which will now go to vote in the Committee on Constitution and Justice.

Raupp’s goal is to, “curb the manufacture, distribution, importation, distribution, trading and custody, storage, the video games that affect the customs, traditions of the people, their worship, creeds, religions and symbols.”

He continued, “Therefore, we seek to protect the principle of equality – for many the greatest of constitutional principles – with the characterization of such discriminatory conduct as a crime by making provision in the law.”

The bill seeks a penalty of one to three years imprisonment for those committing an offense.

The story notes that Brazil has banned games such as Carmageddon, Postal and Grand Theft Auto in the past.

Thanks Maurício

21 comments

gellymatos says:

Never has been. There are a lot of people there who do play videogames, including violent ones. It was my brazilian cousins in Fortaleza who introduced me GTA. Never cared for the series. Don’t really know why. Fun, just not my thing. Sorry, I digress. The point is, games don’t have any effect on traditions. There is still samba and capeoeira, whether there are violent games around or not.

DarkSaber says:

Since when was "a lack of violent games" a Brazilian tradition?

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Speeder says:

His party is named PMDB (the "P" was mantadory some years ago to mean Party, the party original name was MDB, Movimento Democrático Brasileiro, or Brazillian Democratic Movement).

But you can not even tell in what side that party is… They are the biggest party, but also the one with the most corruption cases, and also the only party ever that is permanently in the government side (that is: when left is in power, they claim to be left, when right is in power, they claim to be right…)

The only president that was not allied with PMDB got impeached… And now is a senator, that defended a PMDB senator that got involved in a high-profile scandal recently…

We don’t know what is worse: Absurd laws like this, or PMDB itself…

criadordejogos.wordpress.com

sharpshooterbabe says:

This is absurd! What if the gamers in South America want to play games & now can’t!?!?!? But the country is a pirate for many many things…..lol…..Raupp is wanting to preserve in his head all the traditions of his country. He is only wanting what is good for his people. But what if the people want something different & kids there want to play games……but they can still keep their traditions.

"It’s better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not." – Montgomery Gentry

Ryno says:

I’m pretty sure Brazil is in the top ten for most murders a year. So, yeah, maybe they should be looking at solving other issues before tackling games.

Saying that Jack Thompson is impotent is an insult to impotent men everywhere. They’ve got a whole assortment of drugs that can cure their condition; Jack, however…

PHOENIXZERO says:

So, how’s Rio de Janeiro’s crime rate these days? How will this reduce it? Oh right….

Can’t wait until the 2016 Olympics…. Should be interesting..

Of course this won’t mean shit thanks to piracy.

Zerodash says:

It’s nice to see that for all the advancements the human race has made, governments still have little care for the absolute freedoms and rights of the people.  And this is a worldwide scurge.

gellymatos says:

I’m just wondering how this will affect my cousins in Brazil. They are avid gamers. What really annoys me is that there is a lot of media piracy in brazil. I have been there and it is HUGE. It is possible to alter game systems to be able to play discs that have copies of pirated games.

DarkSaber says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Brazil a "piracy hotspot"?

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.