Aliens vs. Predator vs. Classification Board

Looks like 2009 will go down as a record year for games Refused Classification (RC) in Australia.

Sega’s PC game Aliens vs. Predator is the latest game to be deemed unfit for release by the country’s Office of Film Literature Classification (OFLC) board. got their hands on a copy of the Classification report, which labeled the game too violent to receive a classification:

The Predator collects "trophies" by explicitly ripping off human heads, their spinal columns dangling from severed necks. Heads can be twisted completely around in order to break a character’s neck. Eyes can be stabbed through or gouged, leaving empty, bloodied eye sockets. It is noted that a player is able to combine manoeuvres together in quick succession, which further increases impact; for example, a Predator can stab a character through both eyes with its wrist blade, and then rip off their head, with spinal column still attached. Extensive post mortem damage, including decapitation and dismemberment, is also possible.

Depictions of violence such as the above are accompanied by copious amounts of blood and gore, include ample wound detail and visible skeleton.

As the Refused-Classification site notes, this brings the total to six games effectively banned this year by the Classification Board, a new, and dubious, record high for a single year. Aliens vs. Predator joins CrimeCraft, Necrovision, Sexy Poker, Left 4 Dead 2 and Risen as games tagged with an RC classification.

Sega told GameSpot that they may appeal the decision:

SEGA Australia can today confirm that the initial submission of Aliens vs. Predator has been refused classification by the Classification Operations Board of Australia. We will continue to investigate all options available to us, including the possibility of appeal," the company said in an e-mailed statement.

Thanks to Ryan, Steven and Michael for sending this in!

sharpshooterbabe says:

What about moving to Sweden or Switzerland? :)

"It’s better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not." – Montgomery Gentry

jedidethfreak says:

Minnesota recently passed legislation making it illegal to not wear a seat belt.  You can be pulled over for a cop not thinking you’re wearing your seat belt, thereby allowing them to search your car, even if you were wearing your seat belt.

He was dead when I got here.

DarkSaber says:

I think you’ll find practically every government in the world makes decisions for adults. Or tries to.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Erik says:

This is actually an interesting question that I may feel up to researching when I have the time.  America it’s self has lost freedoms when compared to it’s self as a measuring stick in regards to pre and post Patriot Act.  But that is irrelevant to the above question on what freedoms would be lost when the measuring stick is Australia to the US. So it is quite possible that even in the current days of the US that one would not lose any freedoms by moving here.  Even with the Patriot Act it is even quite possible that someone could move to the US and gain freedoms.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

jedidethfreak says:

I might believe you’re comment on losing rights in America versus Australia when you ACTUALLY POINT WHAT RIGHTS YOU’D LOSE OUT.  Until then, shut the fuck up.

He was dead when I got here.

Doctor Panda says:

I’m Australian and I AM leaving the country for greener pastures as soon as I can find work overseas. I’m not pretending that everywhere else lacks the stupid nanny-state laws that we have over here, but by god we’re one of the worst, and getting worse with each passing year. Anything that could *conceivably* injure, annoy, or over-excite somebody is banned. And I swear half the laws we bring in are simply to appease some ill-informed moral panic started by trashy news networks (oh, and don’t get me started on the quality of the media here).

So I’m bailing, to go to another country where i can at least experience different kinds of stupidity for awhile. And when that annoys me, hell, i might just move again.

chadachada321 says:

Plus, sure you can leave AU to the US to have more rights concerning video games, but then you’re giving up other rights that the US has taken away (there are some, just none that come to mind, AU is pretty bad at giving rights to civilians…). You’re fucked no matter what country you go to, because all of them today infringe on someone’s rights in some way. It’s bullcrap. But there isn’t much we can do except vote to keep out the ones taking away MORE of our rights. =/

-Optimum est pati quod emendare non possis-It is best to endure what you cannot change-

DarkSaber says:

Because moving house is quite an expensive and complicated process, more so if you are leaving one country to go to another, ESPECIALLY for something as frivolous as video games.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

DarkSaber says:

The Alien 3 Directors Cut with the 30 minutes of restored material is much better than its original release.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

TBoneTony says:

I am going to go to University for 3 years, and after that I am leaving Australia in persuit for Canada or even Japan.

So I guess I have my plan all planned out so far.

ZippyDSMlee says:

I always felt video/tv was worse becuse the mind is not active enough.

It takes effort to get alot out of a book, still it dose nto make it worse than the other they are just diffrent.

Until lobbying is a hanging offense I choose anarchy! Stop supporting big media and furthering the criminalization of consumers!!

ZippyDSMlee says:

You miss the point I think anything can be interactive given the proper imagination as one dose not simply stop thinking after one reads a book. Video is far more insipid than video games as it begin interactive your brain is working trying to do a lot of things while video or even a book your mind is racing to absorb and sort much more information, because the mind is not busy video and perhaps even books can be more insipidtous. At least this is the conclusion I have made from the research I have done.

Now dose it by being insipidtous make "media" dangerous  no nor is it harmful it just means some forums of media seep into the brain at different rates.

Rodrigo Ybáñez García says:

There´s not a great difference because still you are playing in a "virtual" scenario. It´s not happening, same like movies, books and many other media. Games are not real.

Games can´t reproduce a real environment, don´t matter how real or violent they look.

My DeviantArt Page (aka DeviantCensorship):

nightwng2000 says:

Really?  From your perspective, maybe.

But look at all the riots that stemmed from news reports about atrocities.  How many who actually took part in the riot took part in the event being reported on.

Look at the fights by fans at various sporting events.  How many of those spectators actually took part in the sport?  How about the various shootings pertaining to various sporting events that took place long before the event took place?

When you read a book, a newspaper, a magazine, whether it’s a non-fictional story about something, or events even in a fictional story, have you EVER had an emotional reaction to some of those events?  Have those events EVER made you think about other events, in your life or in general?

Non-interaction is not as passive as you think.

More over, many claim violent media leads to "desensitization".  How many news stories have you watched about events across the world, in another state, in another city, that you just simply said "wow" to, and left it at that?  Would the same be true if those same events had happened to YOU or your family or friends?  They say absence makes the heart grow fonder.  Sometimes, distance (in miles or relation) makes it grow less sensitive as well.

This is also similar to the view that war has become easier because you do not have to face your enemy up close any longer.  The further away from the casualties, the more the enemy becomes a number in statistics rather than an injured face to feel sympathy for.  Some do consider the horrors of war, despite being reduced to statistics.  Others, however, do not.

This is where the argument about interactive being worse versus non-interactive exposure always fails.

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as

sharpshooterbabe says:

Well the guy you commented to does have a point & makes it clear. It is obvious though man. Games are interactive. Movies are not.

sharpshooterbabe says:

Besides the government of Australia is making the decisions for the adults too!!!!!!!!

sharpshooterbabe says:

I was thinking the same thing you were! Why don’t the citizens of Australia go to another country to buy/play video games that are not restricted. Hmmmmm say like America?

axiomatic says:

If I were a SW developer I would just stop planning to ship to Australia at this point. Let them go without for a while and the citizens of Australia will fix this problem for you in due time. Also were I a SW game developer and my offices were actually in Australia I would be looking to relocate soon. If jobs/commerce start to leave Australia due to this problem, pulling out might be the only way to get the governments attention.

kozmiq says:

imo, there is a difference between watching violence and interacting with it. In this case, they are both forms of entertainment, however one is passive and one is not. Therein lies the difference and the difference in ratings.

DarkSaber says:

No kidding, the PG-13 schlock of AvP 1 (which was rated 15 in the UK) is rated HIGHER than the sequel in Australia? (It got an 18 in the UK). Go figure.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

E. Zachary Knight says:
    DarkSaber says:

The first AvP didn’t have anything to make it banable, even by Australian standards. But both Predator and the first 3 Alien films sure did.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.